• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft: Xbox One reversals haven't hurt us; "we're in an enviable position"

PureGone

Banned
I did. I was definitely convinced that I wasn't ordering an Xbox One when they revealed all the DRM. After the 180, I was back on the train.

I'm sure I'm not the only one.

I'm still waiting for someone at Microsoft to say they won't bring it back, it's funny how they are avoiding that question and giving BS replies to it. Makes you think they still have same plans to get it back.

harSon

Banned
The point is this statement is an arrogant mess and saying they're in an enviable position when frankly they aren't is hilarious.

You been defending them since DRMess so I don't think I should even respond to you anymore anyway.

Well if you're going to twist my arguments, put words in my mouth and debate stuff I haven't said, maybe this would be the best course of action.

GetemMa

They are worse off in literally every territory, including NA, which was their only strong suit.

If that isn't an unmitigated disaster I don't know what is.

Mael

I did. I was definitely convinced that I wasn't ordering an Xbox One when they revealed all the DRM. After the 180, I was back on the train.

I'm sure I'm not the only one.
Good for you but from what I'm seeing everywhere you're in the minority in this one.
On the market as well as in politics, majority rules.
I'm not saying I like that, I'm saying it's how it goes.

You guys are touching on stuff that's not present within anything I've posted. I said that Microsoft was agile as a company in regards to the way they handeled the Xbox One. Whether the shift is fruitful is certainly up for debate, as is the notion that they may have done irreparable with their initial vision, but there's no arguing that the changes they've made over the last 3 or so months have been the very definition of agile.
If you're meaning that they changed their message quickly that's at least arguable.
If you mean that they're seen by everyone as a nimble startup...

I certainly don't envy his job where he has to spew such bullshit for a living. And his primary competitors do not feel the same way either. The ability to recite a bold faced lie like that is something else.

There are people out there that think Xbox One still has DRM. I even over heard a GameStop employee taking with a customer about how it still has DRM. The amount of Internet outrage that the DRM caused is going to take a lot of marketing money to undo

This. If you think things are bad on message boards, the general public is straight up misinformed. The biggest events of the year had MS going on about internet check ins and no used games sales and DRM and Mattrick telling people who don't have internet access to buy a 360 instead. Then Adam Boyes and Yoshida blew up the internet with their how to trade games on PS4 video. I would be more shocked if a stranger on the street had all the current facts.

harSon

Banned
If you're meaning that they changed their message quickly that's at least arguable.
If you mean that they're seen by everyone as a nimble startup...

Uh, they did a bit more than change their messaging. It's not like they're releasing the same console and policies on November 22nd, as they announced May 21st.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
They are worse off in literally every territory, including NA, which was their only strong suit.

If that isn't an unmitigated disaster I don't know what is.

In what way are they worse off? Have they not sold out their new console in both the US and UK whilst continuing to dominate the sales charts?

What else can they do at this stage?

lots of hate going on in here.

Ms only problem they have right now is that $100 price difference. but that is a big one. Just ask sega.

100 USD price difference is certainly the greatest differentiator and problem for MS right now but there was damage to the brand itself

A lot of casuals appear to believe the original policies are still in place at least from the smattering of anecdotal evidence I've seen thus far

As always MS still needs to sell the kinect to casuals and I have yet to see any real success in that regard

1st kinect left a bad impression on a lot of casuals that I know

Pauly Math

Neo Member
It's better to not communicate that at all. Better to just ask the question what can Microsoft do to appease the haters.

What can Microsoft do for me personally? They have to come out with the most powerful console of the generation for the lowest price and provide a wealth of first party exclusives from a wide range of genres. Then provide greater value in the non-paywall system with media apps for free.
We have a console for people like you.

Rembrandt

Banned
I really needa start avoiding Xbox One threads on here and elsewhere, especially since I can already predict the type of comments.

Jomjom

Banned
MS needs to get better at how they word PR messages. He could have simply said something like:

"Our initial decisions definitely hurt us and we apologize for not fully understanding what our fans wanted. However, we've worked hard every day to try to make the Xbox One the console that will live up to our fans' expectations. We're not quite there yet, but we're getting closer every day, and our preorder numbers are showing that."

But then again MS is an American company and the words "humble" and "American" are almost antonyms.

Mael

Uh, they did a bit more than change their messaging. It's not like they're releasing the same console and policies on November 22nd, as they announced May 21st.

for all we know the whole infrastructure for everything was not ready anyway for launch.
And I was more arguing about the "quickly" part.
And considering that most of the policies can be reinstated (especially the always online part) it's not like it's gone forever either.
At least I'm pretty sure that's a reasonable expectation.

hwy_61

Banned
MS needs to get better at how they word PR messages. He could have simply said something like:

"Our initial decisions definitely hurt us and we apologize for not fully understanding what our fans wanted. However, we've worked hard every day to try to make the Xbox One the console that will live up to our fans' expectations. We're not quite there yet, but we're getting closer every day, and our preorder numbers are showing that."

But then again MS is an American company and the words "humble" and "American" are almost antonyms.

Wow.

Were you impressed by this?

IyomQ75m.jpg

I was impressed by the Gunstringer, but not because of anything Kinect related. The gameplay was pretty weak, but it was really funny and entertaining. It came with my Kinect (along with Fruit Ninja), so the novelty of controllerless gaming hadn't worn off yet, and the game was fairly short so I didn't burn out on the lackluster game mechanics. The Gunstringer wasn't a bad game, but I wouldn't buy a Kinect 2.0 to play a sequel.

100 USD price difference is certainly the greatest differentiator and problem for MS right now but there was damage to the brand itself

A lot of casuals appear to believe the original policies are still in place at least from the smattering of anecdotal evidence I've seen thus far

As always MS still needs to sell the kinect to casuals and I have yet to see any real success in that regard

1st kinect left a bad impression on a lot of casuals that I know

This is a good thing for us as the only way to fix that problem is through compelling software.

jaypah

I was PS4 /180 at launch until DRM. Now it's just PS4 at launch but after the 180s I'll still pick one up next year. If it flops it flops. I had a Saturn, Dreamcast, Virtual Boy and a Jaguar. I'm built for this.

Vormund

Regarding the general populace not knowing about the 180, I genuinely think once they heard about the policies they've just ignored the XB1, and switched off on anything MS has to say. As the saying goes, you only have one chance to make a first impression.

For me personally, that is somewhat true even though I know about the 180's, I'm happy to hop on the PS4 boat, it does what I want out of a game console.

shandy706

Going back and reading them both (missed the first link)

The "didn't lose sleep" isn't even in what he said. Why do these sites/magazines like to put words in people's mouths. I guess it gets some good clicks in.

I see the "momentum thing".

I think it did hurt with the hardcore, but I don't think it will hurt mainstream sales during/after the holidays.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
For a company that has trust issues from its customers, honesty should win out over spinning statements. Just fucking be honest and you'll harbor more good will and it will wash out some of the pre-180 announcement bad taste.

Magnus

In what way are they worse off? Have they not sold out their new console in both the US and UK whilst continuing to dominate the sales charts?

Mindshare, consumer/public attitudes, polls, preorder ratios, word of mouth....

Nothing good ever comes out of threads like this. It brings out the least likable people on the forums and just ends up in vortex of ignorance.

narton

for all we know the whole infrastructure for everything was not ready anyway for launch.
And I was more arguing about the "quickly" part.
And considering that most of the policies can be reinstated (especially the always online part) it's not like it's gone forever either.
At least I'm pretty sure that's a reasonable expectation.

That reminds me. Do we still need a day 1 patch to get rid of the DRM that was originally planned? Or has that changed along with the hardware increases?

As far as all this talk, it reminds me a lot of

07-minister.jpg

Jomjom

Banned

I don't know what is so "Wow" about it. Having spent virtually all of my life in the US, that's exactly how the culture is. It's a me, me, me culture where admitting you are wrong somehow shows you are not confident, and being confident is better than being right.

Well if they have no supply issues why are they selling out of their new console well below the number of orders taken for the PS4?

I know it is anecdotal, but nearly every account a person has made inquiry about preorders has shown the PS4 to have 2 to 3 times more preorders. Zomgbbq received info from a major retailer in the UK that had hard number that showed a 2 to 1 ratio in favor of PS4. BTW the PS4 is launching in more countries. Something doesn't add up there. I own a Vita so sales are not the end all be all to me, but I do find it annoying when a company is trying to mislead people. You can't say preorders are outstanding and we are selling out, then offer preorder incentives in the form of Forza and Fifa 14, and still be so far behind Sony in preorders. Then launch in less territories and claim to have no supply problems, even though they are "sold out" and again well below PS4 orders. Again it doesn't add up, and it comes across as if they are trying to hide a problem(s).

DC R1D3R

Banned
The arrogance and double talk is astounding. "We remain true to our vision," my god. LOL

They can't possibly believe people are this stupid?!?!

Well come on pal, when your main rival's own country doesn't even really care for their next offering, what else you gonna say huh? Come on man. You're better than this.

hwy_61

Banned
I don't know what is so "Wow" about it. Having spent virtually all of my life in the US, that's exactly how the culture is. It's a me, me, me culture where admitting you are wrong somehow shows you are not confident, and being confident is better than being right.

Wowwwwww

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Good to see they've accepted they was fucked regardless of the 180's

but seriously the Xbox One will be fine now they're on the right track, they just need to shut up.

x-Lundz-x

MS:
We are all about consumer choice. Even though we didn't give you a choice at first, we listened to your feedback and complaints about not have a choice so we gave you a choice...you know since we are all about consumer choice.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Well the title is right, the reversals helped them a lot. They are going to sell far more Ones now than they would have had they not listened.

Is it just me or did I miss where they said "It didn't hurt us"?

He did say it's nothing to lose sleep over. I agree, suck it up...make changes...adjust.

Title of the thread seems a bit extreme to get a bigger push back.

(if I missed it though, i retract my statement)

He's claiming that they weren't "hurt" because their engineers literally flipped a switch and turned off the DRM that was so integral to the console. All the bad stuff is gone (day one patch still?) so they're back to square one apparently.

Top Bottom