• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Season |OT2| A Dutch Horror Story - Sundays on Sky

f0rk

Trying to decide between Hungary and France for my GP next year.

I'm thinking Hungary because I really liked it last time I was there (and because there's every chance Paul Ricard's first race doesn't go smoothly)... but I just don't know. How do people think the racing will be at Paul Ricard?

I choose based on where you have to stay, are the connections to Marseille good? I enjoyed Budapest when I went to the Hungarian GP.

Do you go to one this year? I'm leaving for Japan in a week :). Also managed to get a central Montreal hotel on reward points for next year.

Yeah, I'm doing Austin in October, followed by a couple of days in Houston and three days in Vegas.

I really like Budapest, which is one of the reasons I'm very happy to go back there (the friend we normally travel with didn't get to go last time, which is why we're considering going back).

Travel to the track wasn't brilliant, but I've seen worse. As for Paul Ricard, we were thinking Toulon or Marseille. Toulon is easier to get from / to the circuit, but obviously there will be more going on in Marseille.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Yeah, I'm doing Austin in October, followed by a couple of days in Houston and three days in Vegas.

Hey, we might be in Vegas at he same time. I’m over there for a work conference in early November. I’m absolutely gutted Austin wasn’t a week later, otherwise I would have swung past for the weekend on my way there.

I believe I leave just before the end of the month, so you'll be arriving as I get out.

I'll try not to leave the place in too much of a mess for you. ;)

Rolfgang

The Formula 1 channel on YouTube just posted a video with the highlights of the Malaysian GP... in 2016. I thought for a moment I had completely missed the entire race weekend.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
I believe I leave just before the end of the month, so you'll be arriving as I get out.

I'll try not to leave the place in too much of a mess for you. ;)

Ha, cheers.

I’m going on my first conference there, which I’ve been reliably informed by my colleagues is “like a stag do with PowerPoints”.

xrnzaaas

They are also supposed to upload one of the full Malaysian races on their channel - 2001, 2003 or 2012 - that last one most likely won in their poll. It would be really nice if this would become a permanent thing.

Aiii

So not worth it
They are also supposed to upload one of the full Malaysian races on their channel - 2001, 2003 or 2012 - that last one most likely won in their poll. It would be really nice if this would become a permanent thing.

I would be very, very, surprised if it wasn't 2001 that won.

Fisico

If the Honda engine continues to be complete shit next year, will Red Bull be able to stick with Renault or do they have a commitment to necessary switch to Honda in 2019?

Carn82

If the Honda engine continues to be complete shit next year, will Red Bull be able to stick with Renault or do they have a commitment to necessary switch to Honda in 2019?

I would doubt they would have to go with Honda; the whole idea seems to be that they can check out the progress they are making with TR and decide later on. But yeah it would be interesting. It would be good for F1 to get a few more engine-constructors into the field.

I would doubt they would have to go with Honda; the whole idea seems to be that they can check out the progress they are making with TR and decide later on.

And that is why supposedly Renault told them to go to hell (although it hasn't been officially announced). If it does happen though, yes RB would be stuck with Honda as apparently only the manufacturer with the least customers can be forced to supply a team.

Burai

shitonmychest57
Hmm. Branded Aston Martin, running Renault engines one year, then onto Honda engines.

We live in strange times.

Stranger that we have a racing team owned by a soft drinks company, being sponsored by a motor manufacturer, running engines branded by a watch maker.

Aiii

So not worth it

DBT85

Someone HAS to supply them, I think it's whichever manufacturer has least teams, so it would be Honda.

I was at the race in 2001 and I'd love to have a copy of it in better quality.

By some weird miracle I even managed to stay dry even though I wasn't under a roof. It was raining all around but the spot we were in stayed dry.

Aiii

So not worth it
So unless there's a miracle wax style they're pretty much fucked for at least 2019 aren't they

5230c12c-91b5-4d6c-9tsx3w.jpeg

Burai

shitonmychest57
So unless there's a miracle wax style they're pretty much fucked for at least 2019 aren't they

Theoretically they could break their contract with Honda and force them out of the sport. Then it goes to a ballot of the remaining manufacturers.

However, the manufacturer wouldn’t be obliged to supply the latest spec engine. Best case scenario for lolz would be getting an old spec Renault.

Fox Mulder

Honda will be away from Alonso, so they'll immediately be good while Renault engines turn to shit next year.

No miracle is required.

Honda will surpass Renault this year in performance and advance the gap further over the winter.

Lord Marko will be begging Honda to supply them in the second half of the 2018 season.

McLaren will be made to look like a bunch of tails, they'll have thrown away £200m for the privilege of having the 4th best PU on the grid.

Fisico

ricciardo-2017rhsle.png

I'm not sure what's the point there, I think we all know Verstappen had all the gremlins of Red Bull Renault's engine's in his own specifically and that he was involved in a few crash

Overall it's just I don't saw it being discussed that much, it's heavily implied that they will go to Honda in 2019 and barely anyone bats an eye where at this stage it's pretty likely it'll end up as huge downgrade.

We might even end up in 2019 with only two teams being able to get a win, as opposed to barely 3 today

EDIT : Well speaking of miracle lol

xrnzaaas

Theoretically they could break their contract with Honda and force them out of the sport. Then it goes to a ballot of the remaining manufacturers.

However, the manufacturer wouldn't be obliged to supply the latest spec engine. Best case scenario for lolz would be getting an old spec Renault.

Tag Heuer Classic engine > Honda engine ;)

DBT85

We'll if they will dig their own grave.

Maybe if they hadn't been such public arseholes over the Renault engine Renault might not mind supplying them. They drove them to 4 titles after all.

I'd call myself a Red Bull fan if only for the association with Ricciaro, Max, and their driver program in general. It's gonna be fun to watch them burn to the ground with Honda engines. I wonder if it'll turn Ricciardo into Alonso, assuming RIC is still at RBR in 2 years.

Stranger that we have a racing team owned by a soft drinks company, being sponsored by a motor manufacturer, running engines branded by a watch maker.

Was about to say this. The whole Red Bull team as a program is hilarious once you take a step back from it.

Fox Mulder

Maybe if they hadn't been such public arseholes over the Renault engine Renault might not mind supplying them. They drove them to 4 titles after all.

Renault was shit in 2014 and 2015 and hasn't got much better. Redbull lost Vettel to Ferrari, who have now closed the gap to Mercedes. Renault is still there as a third best engine that can't win on merit. Redbull is going to lose another driver or maybe both because the engine isn't competitive.

I can see Redbull lining up to pull out anyways. They won titles and now only winning the occasional race as a customer team in an engine formula. The 2020 engine rules are supposed to attract manufacturers. Maybe they sell if a Porsche or even Aston Martin want to buy in with an established team.

Aiii

So not worth it

...And then helped them go to shit for four seasons more. Renault can cry me a river, unreliable underpowered engine that is only not publicly shamed because Honda had so much trouble.

Watch Honda overtake Renault by the end of next year.

NHale

...And then helped them go to shit for four seasons more. Renault can cry me a river, unreliable underpowered engine that is only not publicly shamed because Honda had so much trouble.

Watch Honda overtake Renault by the end of next year.

Fuck the disease is spreading...

Top Bottom