• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. Community Thread |OT| Next Super Smash Bros. Discussion

kirby_fox

Banned
What I'm looking forward to is more detailed character models. Since the game already runs at 1080p/60fps, they'll have a ton of overhead.

And since character models are typically done at a high level of detail, and then scaled back to a level where the game runs smoothly, it shouldn't be much work to go back to the originals and create better quality assets from them. I'd be very surprised if we don't see that.

Can't wait for that higher quality Jigglypuff model.

I feel like we're at a point where they have a neat art style that works for Smash. Maybe upgrade some of them, but I don't think Kirby has had much done to his model since Melee.

kewlmyc

All I want is more FFVII music.

Two tracks is lame. I want to kick ass while "Crazy Motorcycle Chase" plays in the background.

PK Gaming

I didn't realize people care so much for voice acting in Smash.

I'm pretty in different about it. Even if Ike is my favorite FE lord.

I will admit, I thought Melee Falco had the best voice, the rest I never cared for

I would legit have had Ike as one of my core mains if his VA was good, haha. Like, I know it's a ridiculous thing to say, but his voice acting is just that huge turnoff for me. Sometimes I feel like I can tough it out, and then I get star KOed and I hear him howl and it's like mrgrgrgrgrgrg why. The same VA shows up in FE:Fates and he flubs it up there too, lol.

Also don't worry, Melee Falco is the GOAT.

Burning Justice

the superior princess
Ike's VA is awful, but he has the same VA that he had in Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn, and ALL of the VA in those games was awful, so that didn't come as much of a surprise.

But yeah, Smash VA has always been a mixed bag. I thought most of the new VAs in Smash 4 were pretty good, though... except for Fox. Wish they'd stuck with his Brawl voice.

I would legit have had Ike as one of my core mains if his VA was good, haha. Like, I know it's a ridiculous thing to say, but his voice acting is just that huge turnoff for me. Sometimes I feel like I can tough it out, and then I get star KOed and I hear him howl and it's like mrgrgrgrgrgrg why. The same VA shows up in FE:Fates and he flubs it up there too, lol.

Also don't worry, Melee Falco is the GOAT

Just realize this, but I main Ganondorf in Melee solely because of his Warlock punch Howl. I guess I do care for VA.

Also don't worry, Melee Falco is the GOAT

I don't mind Ike's english voice, but I was really surprised this game doesn't let you use the Japanese voices like Melee did.

It's funny how the Japanese version played with that concept by having Bayonetta speak English in her Bayo1 costume, and Japanese in her Bayo2 costume, but we totally lost out on that in translation.

I am happy we got Cloud's Japanese voice though. <3

Just realize this, but I main Ganondorf in Melee solely because of his Warlock punch Howl. I guess I do care for VA.

Yeah, Brawl/SSB4 Ganondorf is a total downgrade compared to Melee. The Ocarina design and voice are just so much more badass. TP Ganondorf is like a grandpa.

I don't mind Ike's english voice, but I was really surprised this game doesn't let you use the Japanese voices like Melee did.

It's funny how the Japanese version played with that concept by having Bayonetta speak English in her Bayo1 costume, and Japanese in her Bayo2 costume, but we totally lost out on that in translation.

Yeah, Brawl/SSB4 Ganondorf is a total downgrade compared to Melee. The Ocarina design and voice are just so much more badass. TP Ganondorf is like a grandpa.

Thank God, I always hated his English voice, wasn't anything I was expecting it to be. Although I should blame KH with its terrible VA direction

Thank God, I always hated his English voice, wasn't anything I was expecting it to be. Although I should blame KH with its terrible VA direction

The thing I'm most thankful for is that Lance Bass as Sephiroth never went anywhere beyond KH1. I still have no idea what the casting directors were thinking on that one.
Oh yeah we dodged a huge bullet with Cloud.

I'm not a weeb, I swear haha

You don't need to be a weeb to acknowledge that Takahiro Sakurai is a gift from the gods.

PK Gaming

Oh yeah we dodged a huge bullet with Cloud.

I'm not a weeb, I swear haha

PK Gaming

Real talk

I don't even like Wolf and Star Fox Zero made me desperately want him as a character, haha.

The NX version of smash is the perfect opportunity to put him in; just focus on making him more original/incorporating some Electric moves!

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I still want my Pegasus Triangle Attack Assist Trophy. Back in the pre-Brawl days when the game was being demoed, there were fake reports out there regarding all sorts of things, including assist trophies that weren't really in, and this is the one that stuck out to me.

For Smash 4, the only fake AT report I can remember was Chunky Kong.

Haha, I remember Rosalina being AT for Brawl. Same for Flint from Mother 3.

I think Smash 4 handled gender diversity pretty well.

09BZCCm.png

At this point I think the only important and popular female characters left are Dixie and I guess Isabelle (her being playable doesn't really suit well with me tbh). There's also the Inklings, which can be female like Robin and Villager. Hell, the girl Inkling design is the most popular and iconic one anyway.

I definitely agreed. I really like how they went crazy with female characters this time. I really hope that we would see Dixie and Inkling being in next Smash.

How did this thread even get approved, Intelliheath? Haha.

Well, there are many game that got their community thread and they could discuss about future games so I guess it's okay. I meant once I set up Super Smash Bros Community, I just knew that we are going to talk about Smash NX. Hence me putting it in subtitle! :p

thanks for the Melee thread plug Heath <3

No Problem! :D

At this point I want them to preserve all characters for the next game even if we only get 2 new ones. No cuts.

Smash NX is going to be a port but the question is, "Is it straight port or enhanced port?"

Smash 4's voice direction has been pretty bad.

-Mario still sounds like Charles Martinet had a sore throat that day of recording
-Bowser, DK and Diddy still don't have their actual voices from their games
-Rosalina uses her Mario Kart 7 voice even though she got a new VA a over whole year before Smash 4 released.
-Pit sounds too whiny and overzealous (He also lack this voice line for his star ko scream)
-Brandy Kopp sounds like a young Lightning than actually Palutena
-Fox' voice having poor direction since Mike West's performance in SF0 was fantastic, so what happened to Smash 4?
-Sakurai inserting a really bad monster filter over his Dedede voice
-Lack of Steve Burton for Cloud

Haha, I remember Rosalina being AT for Brawl. Same for Flint from Mother 3.

In retrospect, I think the people reporting Rosalina had just mistaken Gardevoir for her. IIRC, it was at an event of some sort (E for All, I think it was) open to the public? Some of the descriptions people said about Rosalina matched up pretty well with Gardevoir, and if you're in a crowded space and don't get too good a look, or are on a small screen, etc., it's easy to mistake them.

No idea what was with some of the other reports though. Some of them were totally made up. The pre-Brawl days were good times.

TrueBlue

*snip*

Aye.

- Luigi still sounds depressed, another aspect of his odd portrayal in Smash
- For the love of God, give Bowser his regular voice. His roars sound much more imposing in the mainline Mario titles. It's doubly disconcerting considering Jr/Koopalings retain their regular voices and not the crappy Godzilla ripoff.
- Much like Rosalina, most of Sonic's lines are ripped. His new Super Sonic shout is horrific.

It doesn't help that a lot of the voiceovers for the veterans are taken wholesale from Brawl. I hope for Smash 5 they just get everyone in to record a new set of lines/grunts.

And how bout those reused victory themes.
Yeah, each character deserves its own. I want Corrin's to be from the non vocal smash song. :(

Voices for the most part seem fine to me. Tho Fox's is off, Palutena is off, and Bowser is horrible. Everyone else's is fine. I like Ike's voice but his victory poses need to be better and have better lip sync or something.

KingBroly

Banned

-Mario still sounds like Charles Martinet had a sore throat that day of recording
-Bowser, DK and Diddy still don't have their actual voices from their games
-Rosalina uses her Mario Kart 7 voice even though she got a new VA a over whole year before Smash 4 released.
-Pit sounds too whiny and overzealous (He also lack this voice line for his star ko scream)
-Brandy Kopp sounds like a young Lightning than actually Palutena
-Fox' voice having poor direction since Mike West's performance in SF0 was fantastic, so what happened to Smash 4?
-Sakurai inserting a really bad monster filter over his Dedede voice
-Lack of Steve Burton for Cloud

They also didn't re-do ZSS's voice work (thankfully)

- Much like Rosalina, most of Sonic's lines are ripped. His new Super Sonic shout is horrific.

I find Super Sonic's shout to be passable, I really can't recall anything from Roger Craig Smith's voice for Sonic that would qualify as a transform shout for Super Sonic. I guess they can use the "SUPER SONIC!" announcer call from Sonic Colors, but that's about it

Yeah, each character deserves its own. I want Corrin's to be from the non vocal smash song.

Funny you mention that, I was thinking that most characters should either their own victory theme or post victory theme like Cloud.

Like this song for Corrin or Robin after the usual Fire Emblem victory theme plays.

Frodo

Is Ridley still too big?

I wonder if there will be a upgrade program if you already own SSB 4 Wii U and/or 3DS + DLC. Because I've put a lot of money into Smash this generation already.

sinxtanx

stage hazard toggle
comprehensive special smash options (lots of features in the game cannot currently be enabled or altered in special smash)
don't cancel momentum when jumping

that's what I need to care

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
One of my favourite communities is back.

Still haven't bought the Cloud of Bayo DLC yet lol

So...has anyone messed around with Smash 4 mods lately?

Really can't wait to see how Smash 4 modding progresses over time. I think it has the potential to be even crazier than Brawl's. For example, soon we'll be able to add music slots without replacing pre-existing ones.

Ch1p6-BUUAAWC7B.jpg:large

Welp. Finally a reason to mod my Wii U. Time to bring back the missing DK Rap verses and Sonic R songs.

Wolf...feel like easy additions that would make the NX port worth buying for quite a lot of people.

lol. I remember when these was the given reason for why he'd most certainly be coming as DLC.

I still can't get over the CD-I Link comparisons for that Corrin victory quote, lol.
Now that's an idea for a mod; CD-Link soundbites.

How about that lack of boombox for Diddy? (Though I believe this is more due to Nintendo trying to remove the 90's 'tude from the DK series in general)

Funny you mention that, I was thinking that most characters should either their own victory theme or post victory theme like Cloud.
I actually did a similar thing back when I was into modding Brawl music but simply replacing the victory jingles with longer looping pieces so the default win screen music could never kick in. Mostly just so I could include the Wario Land 3 Perfect them.

I dunno, I thought Brandy Kopp's Palutena (and whoever filled in for Viridi) were spot-on. Still weird most of the KI:U cast didn't come back.

Confession: I never liked Melee's Fox/Falco voices. Not that they were bad, but the Engrish threw me off (that, and Falco sounded waaaaay different from what I was used to in SF64).

No idea what was with some of the other reports though. Some of them were totally made up. The pre-Brawl days were good times.

My favorite is still someone mistaking Barbara the Bat for Baabara the Sheep from Animal Crossing.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
When ROB was leaked in name only so many were in denial of the greatest toy on earth after Buzz Lightyear being playable they convinced themselves it was actually going to be ROB 64 from Star Fox.

When ROB was leaked in name only so many were in denial of the greatest toy on earth after Buzz Lightyear being playable they convinced themselves it was actually going to be ROB 64 from Star Fox.

I remember this and it was weird. In hind sight, ROB is an incredibly obvious pick for Smash, and I'm a little surprised nobody seriously considered him before Brawl. I know I didn't, but that might have been since the only games I knew ROB from were Mario Kart DS and Wario Ware

I remember this and it was weird. In hind sight, ROB is an incredibly obvious pick for Smash, and I'm a little surprised nobody seriously considered him before Brawl. I know I didn't, but that might have been since the only games I knew ROB from were Mario Kart DS and Wario Ware
I definitely seriously considered him before Brawl, but I was kind of thrown off when they showed generic ROBs for the Subspace Emissary.

I definitely seriously considered him before Brawl, but I was kind of thrown off when they showed generic ROBs for the Subspace Emissary.

That's how I feel. When ROB was leaked as a playable character my 10 year old mind was in disbelief because "how could he be playable when he's already an enemy in SSE?!".

Funny enough, that's how some people tried to debunk Mii Fighters being in Smash 4 before they were announced. "How could they be playable when they're in the background of the Find Mii stage?"

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
One of the few cases where I am really happy with the PAL version's English translation over the US one; ROB's Punch-Out title.

US: The Last of His Kind
PAL: Robotic Obliteration Buddy

Opinions of SSE aside, I like ROB being a general ROB rather than the one from SSE. None of the other characters are presented as their SSE counterpart. That and that PAL title really is so much better as a title in general.

Also, it's kind of funny that "the last of his kind" is one of the few Amiibo to come in multiple versions.

Smash 4 kind of had its own "how can this be real if we've already seen it before" with Wuhu Island. But since Wii Sports was worked out from an official screenshot there wasn't that much denial.

I hope we get matchmaking improvements.

I used to enjoy Team Battle but this game pairs me with whoever is online regardless of distance. I'm in southern California and I'm playing people in Canada, Mexico, and the freaking Netherlands so the team battle games are garbled messes since all the players are so far apart despite my 200/20 wired internet. This will sound insane but I actually had more fun with Brawl's online over wifi.

I like 1on1 but I also liked the chaotic fun of a 2on2 but I've given up on that. I really hope Nintendo doesn't allow wireless connections on the NX.

It's farfetched but I'd like for the matches to be three minutes instead of two as well.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
So we know Sakurai got insider info about Greninja and the Pokemon Company pushed him to include it figuring it'd be popular (and they were right), wonder if there's a Sun and Moon Pokemon they've already projected to be just as big and will push that for Smash.

Neoxon

Ike's VA is awful, but he has the same VA that he had in Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn, and ALL of the VA in those games was awful, so that didn't come as much of a surprise.

But yeah, Smash VA has always been a mixed bag. I thought most of the new VAs in Smash 4 were pretty good, though... except for Fox. Wish they'd stuck with his Brawl voice.
Fox's VA, Mike West, is from 64 & Zero, who Nintendo tried to get in Smash for years. His Smash 4 performance was a result of poor voice direction.

Then Smash 4 goes crazy and starts adding Toon Link, Miis, Villager, Wii Fit Trainer and Dedede to backgrounds of stages without a care in the world. Throwing that entire argument out the window, forever.

With Brawl, I figured the Ancient Minister would be playable in some way, and figured it was a Nintendo character under the clothing, but for whatever reason I never saw ROB in his design, even if it's fairly obvious now. Guess it was my unfamiliarity with the character.

When you think about it, playable characters in the background had actually been a thing before, with the Blue Falcon appearing on stages, even if Captain Falcon was fighting. Star Fox stages got around it by only showing one or two Arwing at a time, but with Smash 4 they just gave up on that and now show four Arwings, even if both Fox and Falco are fighting.

So we know Sakurai got insider info about Greninja and the Pokemon Company pushed him to include it figuring it'd be popular (and they were right), wonder if there's a Sun and Moon Pokemon they've already projected to be just as big and will push that for Smash.
Actually, IIRC it was Sakurai himself who pushed for Greninja's inclusion despite not having a name at that point because he predicted it would be a popular character.

Good thing it worked out and didn't end up being another Zoroark lol.

Nope, the KI characters who were Assist Trophies were recast in Smash 4 (likely since the originals were unionized VAs).

I believe someone who's a sound alike for Hynden Walch is also in the credit? Don't remember her name off the top of my head.

georly

Even if smash4NX is a carbon copy of Smash4WiiU (presumably w/ DLC), I think it'll still be worth getting on NX if the NX online infrastructure is better than Wii U. Friend notifications, invite players to play smash even if they're not CURRENTLY playing smash, integrated voice chat/party chat, etc. It has potential to be the best version of smash 4 for online infrastructure reasons alone. I like smash 4, I want to keep playing smash 4, and not having to boot up my Wii U to do it may be reason enough for me to get it on NX.

Ice climbers plz

Nope, the KI characters who were Assist Trophies were recast in Smash 4 (likely since the originals were unionized VAs).

Didn't palutena claim it was a schedule conflict?

woopWOOP

Is this the thread where I do my realistic NX port predictions or where I vent my unrealistic fanboy wishes? ...Or both??!

As of now I still don't think the NX port will be anything more than that. No extra characters, stages, assist trophies, songs, nothing... tho I do secretly hope that an NX port will enable 8-players for every stage (including large enough custom stages!) with that extra NX horsepower.

My fanboy side is screaming that all Super Mario Maker 'Very Hard' costume characters should become playable.

Kouichi

My ideal scenario is for the NX version to have all the content and modes from both versions with better visuals and Ice Climbers thrown in to complete the package.

But I'm only expecting a souped up port of the Wii U version with all the DLC. I would love to be wrong though.

Top Bottom