• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Two Guys SpaceVenture Kickstarter by Two Guys From Andromeda [Ended, $539K funded]

Frogacuda

Banned
They should have done this interview before starting the KS really. The questions over their relationship & the bizarre pledge reward levels/far too frequent updates have probably hurt the project a fair bit.
They certainly could have prepared a bit more for this. The confusing (and countless) reward tiers, boring pitch video, lack of ANY concrete concepts about the game itself, and complete refusal to do any press for the first two weeks of the campaign cost them valuable time.

That said, they'll make it, but not by as much as they would have and it's going to come down to the last day. Which is a shame.

I do still think this game will be great, though. They want to go way more old school than the other kickstarters, it'll be kind of refreshing to have a game like this in 2013.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Wow, the tiers really are confusing... and they seem to be missing quite a bit. :(

I will say, if this doesn't get a last minute save like Republique, I'll be pretty disappointed.

The Reddit AMA they did yesterday have really given them a good push. I think they'll make it.

Regarding the lack of press in the beginning, a lot of it was due to a legal misunderstanding which meant that they had to keep a low profile.

That being said, I agree that it could certainly have been planned better, and they really should have double checked all possible legal issues before hand.

I would say though that they have more than made up for it in the second half of the Kickstarter. They pretty much went on a barrage of concept art, interviews, playable prototypes, and luckily it has also turned it around so they now are in a good position.

They'll be doing an interview with Ken Williams today in a couple of hours.

Ken was the founder of Sierra, and husband of Roberta who made the Kings Quest games

When?

7:45am PST / 10:45am EST / 15:45pm GMT

Where?

http://justin.tv/andromedaguys

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ure-by-the-creators-of-space-que?ref=activity

Ken and Roberta showed up in the chat while they were doing a playthrough of one of the Space Quest games and it was great to hear from them then so I can't wait for this!

mclem

They'll be doing an interview with Ken Williams today in a couple of hours.

Ken was the founder of Sierra, and husband of Roberta who made the Kings Quest games

The question has to be: Is this a friendly chat... or research.

I'm intrigued by the fact that this has significantly more backers than Fedora, but Fedora's backers went much higher.

The question has to be: Is this a friendly chat... or research.

I'm intrigued by the fact that this has significantly more backers than Fedora, but Fedora's backers went much higher.

Heh, maybe tex fans really really want to know what happened next.

must be the longest gaming cliffhanger ever

mclem

$400k breached. That leaves $100k in a little under four days. It's difficult, but achievable. It needs a hell of a weekend, though!

mrgone

I don't think there's much cause for worry left at this point. Less than $70k to go and 62 hours left. They did more than that in the last 24 and it's not even the final day rush yet. Safe money's on making sure your dialect translator's charged. :)

mclem

I'm actually *confident* now; it needs about $1k per hour remaining, it's been doing $1k per hour for the last several hours, and it's accelerating.

I won't be completely happy until it passes the $500k mark, but things are looking damn fine.

This is definitely going to make it, but it's clear at this point that it will be a low-budget ass game. Woulda been nice for it to make over a million, but beggars can't be choosers.

This is definitely going to make it, but it's clear at this point that it will be a low-budget ass game. Woulda been nice for it to make over a million, but beggars can't be choosers.

It was very poorly planned, and I still think the tiers are wonky. They're recording a commentary that only 200 people will ever hear.

This is great, I was worried about this a little bit. Space Quest was my favorite adventure series going up. I love SQ 1 and 2 especially, played them on an Apple IIgs.

Wow, I can't believe I heard about this only now. I jumped blindly in, but I'll be sure to watch the pitch when I get home from work tonight. Somehow I feel that I'm doing things backwards.

This is my second backing, after Double Fine Adventure.

mclem

Wow, just made the goal. I'm glad. And thus ends the odyssey of gaming kickstarters.

...until Roberta Williams decides to come out of retirement. Or Corey and Lori Cole take an interest. Or Steve Meretzky returns to his rightful place as the Oracle of Yonkers...

(But if they could wait six months or so, my wallet will be extremely grateful)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
...until Roberta Williams decides to come out of retirement. Or Corey and Lori Cole take an interest. Or Steve Meretzky returns to his rightful place as the Oracle of Yonkers...

(But if they could wait six months or so, my wallet will be extremely grateful)
At that point, they should all just get together and start up a new company. lol

mclem

finally. hopefully they keep up the pace of 4 updates per day. i want my inbox to be half kickstarter updates by the time the games is actually released.

I'm amazed that they haven't done an update - their fiftieth at that - to celebrate hitting the goal. It's been five hours now!

Maybe they'll start a kickstarter to get funding to continue producing updates.

Frogacuda

Banned
Wow, just made the goal. I'm glad. And thus ends the odyssey of gaming kickstarters.

Adventue gaming kickstarters, at least.

Kickstarter is a poor marketplace that favors the creator over the consumer. What games I have backed, I have backed to send the message that adventure gamers care about who writes their games, and I feel like, with Tim, Al, Jane, the Two Guys, and Tex Murphy as our delegates, they will shout this message from the mountain tops. I feel no need to back anything else besides that.

Which doesn't mean I'm disinterested in the other games, or that I won't buy the finished products if they're good, but I feel no obligation to help them get made. I feel like the games I have backed will blaze that trail well enough once they're out.

I cancelled my pledge now that the goal has been reached, and it´s not really needed. I do like all this attention to the genre, but I don´t really trust this project as I trust the others I have backed, and I don´t really like the concept art of the characters.

Space Quest 5 is not shitty at all. I played through it a few weeks ago, had never finished it before so it's not nostalgia talking. One of my favorite takes on the classic "lone ship exploring strange and uncharted worlds" sci-fi concept, on any medium. The sense of adventure and wonder is superb.

Orgun

Space Quest 5 is not shitty at all. I played through it a few weeks ago, had never finished it before so it's not nostalgia talking. One of my favorite takes on the classic "lone ship exploring strange and uncharted worlds" sci-fi concept, on any medium. The sense of adventure and wonder is superb.

I thought i'd played all the SQ games but I think I missed 5.

Top Bottom