• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

Volcynika

oiZWnPy.png

cAcziBA.png

Every year in the Eastern Kingdom of Mikado, all children who have turned 18 that year make a pilgrimage to Mikado Castle to take part what is k nown as the "Gauntlet Rite," a traditional ceremony to determine a person's worthiness to join the elite ranks of the Samurai, noble warriors and protectors of the realm. You and your friend Issachar are from a simple village, and today is the day that your life may change forever...

IIw3yGY.png

• Developer: Atlus
  • Platform: Nintendo 3DS
  • Release Dates:
    • Japan: 05/23/2013
      • Retail - Yes
      • eShop - Yes (14337 blocks)
    • North America: 07/16/2013
      • Retail - Yes
      • eShop - Yes
    • Europe: 2013?
      • Retail - ?
      • eShop - ?
  • MSRP: $49.99

Standard US Retail
oSkvp9v.jpg

Launch Edition US Retail
kixYbm9.jpg

Contains:
  • A 176-page Strategy & Design Book
  • Shin Megami Tensei Music Collection CD
  • Deluxe Collectible Slipcase

E0P4Jy1.png

• A World to Discover, A Mystery to Uncover - The life of a Samurai is fraught with peril; Players must leave the safety of Mikado in order to defend it from the invading demons; There the story unfolds as the true history of Mikado comes to light
  • Demon Collection and Fusion - The core mechanic of the Shin Megami Tensei series returns with more than 400 demons to recruit, collect, and fuse together
  • Choices and Consequences - Throughout the player's journey, they must choose their own path; The choices will affect them, other NPCs, and the overall outcome of the story
  • Pressing the Combat Advantage - The Press Turn system requires strategic thinking for every battle; Pinpointing an enemy's weakness will provide a vital extra turn for players to exploit
  • A Finely Tuned RPG Experience - Beautiful graphics, extensive voice work, 3D dungeons, and a branching story make for a solid RPG adventure

r0YnHe9.png

4pr8GI9.png

TMSgEOv.png
nmHO8sO.png
jy6n3gp.png

dzmwvXA.png
QsxRIWt.png

• Protagonist - The player character. After turning 18, he made his way to Mikado Castle to take part in that year's Gauntlet Rite, and became one of only five chosen to become new Samurai. His actions will have grave repercussions, but his choices are up to you...
  • Jonathan - A gentle young man with a good upbringing. While the differences in
    personalities may sometimes cause the other new Samurai recruits to become at odds with each other, Jonathan is a natural mediator and tries to bring everyone to a common purpose.
  • Walter - An ill-mannered young man who speaks bluntly. Despite his off-putting demeanor, he does have a caring heart and believes in doing what is best.
  • Isabeau - The sole female of this year's crop of recruits, she is strong-willed yet
    dignified. However, there is a side of her that the others may never discover.
  • Navarre - A Luxuror selected as one of the new Samurai. An elitist and a sore loser, he openly shows hostility toward the protagonist and Walter who are Casualry-born. His road to becoming a full-fledged Samurai will be a jarring one.

rrQPXFo.png

HYeEuRE.png
ZHZ0u0Z.png

• Hope - The leader of the Samurai. He trains the prentice Samurai. While strict when it comes to missions, he is not a man to be tied down by rules. He cares for his troops and puts the well-being of the people as his top priority.
  • Issachar - While he and the protagonist are the same age, Issachar has always acted as something of an older brother. They grew up together, and Issachar has always dreamed of becoming a Samurai himself one day.

Ys7NwFE.png

mJ5KQUs.png
MYOCyOP.png

• Tayama - The leader of the organization known as the Ashura-kai, he is well known through Tokyo. The people both fear and idolize him. Tayama was the one who successfully negotiated with the demons to bring order to the chaotic city. However, nobody is certain exactly what kind of deal he brokered to protected the human population...
  • Kaga - A strong and confident woman and a member of the Ring of Gaea. She does not agree with Tayama and the Ashura-kai's stance, and continues to oppose their ideas as a member of the Ring of Gaea. It is said that the Ring of Gaea has many fighters as skilled as Kaga among their numbers.

R6GSJ1q.png

• Black Samurai - This mysterious character appears before the protagonist and his comrades more than once. She speaks in a cryptic manner, as if she is trying to lead them to answers while simultaneously seducing them down a dark path. When they encounter her in the Eastern Kingdom of Mikado, she seems to have knowledge of both the kingdom and Tokyo...

yL5K1G4.png

OIsnLmX.png

pbphCJj.png

wjoCrUV.png

• Question - Does the game have dual audio?
  • Answer - No. Only an English dub is available.
  • Question - What difficulties are available?
  • Answer - Only normal is available at the beginning. Easy is available after dying twice in the game. Hard is only available post-completion. The difficulty can be changed at any time.
  • Question - Is the game pretty challenging?
  • Answer - In the beginning it is a bit of an uphill battle, but once you are familiar with the system and understand the game, you should be able to handle yourself. But be warned, there can always be a surprise battle to knock you out, or a boss that won't hesitate putting you down for the count! The statement "Getting SMT'd" exists for a reason!
  • Question - I've only played the Persona games! Is this recommended for me?
  • Answer - Of course! While there are some different mechanics in SMT games, the framework is mostly the same. Strengthen your demons, master your skills, and press on (or in this case, press turn)! Because people can love both SMT and Persona, they're like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. If there is any time to jump into the mainline games, now better time than the present!
  • Question - I want a good story and characters. Is that here?
  • Answer - The game has a large cast of interesting characters and a quite serious narrative. With the paths you can take throughout the game, it should be a ride no matter where you go.
  • Question - Do I need to play previous SMT games to understand this?
  • Answer - No. There are a few throwback references here and there, but you'll be fine!

-Friendly notice: Any SMT vs Persona arguments in this thread will not end pleasantly for you!-

*Thanks to notworksafe for graphics and RyougaSaotome for info about the game

Aeana

Let's just get this out of the way: keep the SMT vs. Persona in-fighting out of here. It's fine to compare and contrast if you'd like, but the kind of fighting that usually occurs isn't going to fly.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I'm excited for this. I really hope it is reminiscent of the great Nocturne. That was my first SMT game a few years back and I have liked them all since!

Avallon

I enjoyed Persona 4 Golden -- Why should I be excited for SMTIV? Also do I need to have played the others? I disliked the Devil Survivor series -- is this game for me?

Velcro Fly

Worst wait will be during shipping. I'm at the mercy of Amazon.

Is there anywhere that has all the DLC info in English?

GulAtiCa

Looking forward to this game. Also curious to hear about this upcoming NA eShop deal with Fire Emblem: Awakening. (As far as I can tell, buy both get $30 back in credit, no press release on this yet)

(And yes, my 3DS is now charged! :p )

Sallokin

Excellent OP! I am scrambling to finish up all my backlog so I can focus just on this. Can't wait for that delicious launch bundle.

duckroll

I have the game pre-ordered but I'm starting to lose my excitement over this. The lack of a physical manual is a real downer, and apparently there aren't even social links in this game? I hope when you get to Tokyo there's at least a high school somewhere, and you can make friends with a student council girl or a shy girl, or a passive aggressive tomboy.... T_T

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
I enjoyed Persona 4 Golden -- Why should I be excited for SMTIV? Also do I need to have played the others? I disliked the Devil Survivor series -- is this game for me?
It's unlike either of those games and you don't have to have played any previous entries. I don't think you would necessarily dislike this, but it's focused on dungeon crawling first and foremost, with a darker plot and atmosphere. The SMT series quality holds up here though.

Avallon

It's unlike either of those games and you don't have to have played any previous entries. I don't think you would necessarily dislike this, but it's focused on dungeon crawling first and foremost, with a darker plot and atmosphere. The SMT series quality holds up here though.

Is it first person turn-based combat or can I see my characters?

cjkeats

Pre-orded it today. EB got 20% extra credit with trades toward it. Not as god as the $30 eShop credit, but hey, fancy box.

CSX

THE HYPE IS TOO MUCHHHH

For those that missed it , if you register Fire Emblem Awakening and this game, you get 30 bucks for eshop!

http://n4g.com/news/1306554/nintend...blem-awakening-shin-megami-tensei-iv-purchase

For those that want to spoil themselves a bit, heres a vid showing off the complete demon compendium minus a few dlc demons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vki-M7zXe_Q

Here's the viewpure link (minus related vids and comments to prevent as much accindental spoilers)

http://viewpure.com/Vki-M7zXe_Q

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
I wish I could sleep for two weeks until my copy arrives. So pumped!

Midou

I am still a bit sad Kazuma Kaneko didn't do the character art, but the game itself is looking great. I am so hyped for this, it's been so long since Nocturne.

Looking forward to this game. Also curious to hear about this upcoming NA eShop deal with Fire Emblem: Awakening. (As far as I can tell, buy both get $30 back in credit, no press release on this yet)

(And yes, my 3DS is now charged! :p )

Check out the eShop about an hour ago, Nintendo totally took that thing down.
Maybe it was meant for next week?

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Cool OT. Will probably buy next year when I have time to play this. :(

Frost_Ace

So jelly of you americans :(

Can't wait to read your impressions guys.

I am still a bit sad Kazuma Kaneko didn't do the character art, but the game itself is looking great. I am so hyped for this, it's been so long since Nocturne.
About that...does he still work at Atlus? Please say yes. :(

Volcynika

I think I heard the embargo for reviews may be lifting this week sometime, maybe Wednesday or something? Would be good to have some reviews roll in prior the week of release at least.

no subtitle, Volc?

I am ex-TREMELY picky about subtitles. And I couldn't ever decide on one I'd be ok with. I know I suck :(

ohlawd

Got this game fully paid off. Eff yeah I'm ready. Project x Zone is finished; everything else in backlog hell. Let's do this.

Tempted to get this. I somewhat enjoyed Strange Journey until the very end where I got stuck with seemingly no way out except for massive massive grinding that I didn't have the willpower to do.

So excited for this one. Still wondering about my Newegg preorder considering the snafu that came with Project X Zone, but considering Atlus is advertising them on the game's website I figure it will be good.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Need to hurry up & finish PxZ in time for this. It'll be nice to try a SMT game outside of the Persona series (still hoping for stuff like DDS, Nocturne, etc. on PS2 to be added to PSN).

Also hoping that $30 credit deal applies for retail copies as well. Would love to get FE:A finally when I pick my pre-order up.

vall03

Thank god I'm having a bunch of interviews and exams this week. Going to make the wait for next week at least bearable.

Also, damn you Nintendo for not having midnight releases for 3rd party games on eShop! I always have to wait until 1am the following day to buy games!

Top Bottom