• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall on PC will have controller aim assist

vocab

Makes it much simpler to pull off and much harder to detect since the engine supports it natively.

Ya, it's very toxic to a games community. Plus it legitimizes the cheating process because you can go lol im a pad user hur hur. There will be complaints of people with aim assist dominating pubs. I'll bet on it.

As always with MW2 arguments, how much of that was Respawn and how much was Activision?

We just don't know, and keep in mind IW broke up shortly after that release.

Ah, I'm more talking about cod 1 and 2 and 4. MW2 is a non game in my mind.

Nokterian

I'm still going to stick with KB/M as the Lord Baby Jesus intended for all His PC children.

tumblr_lx6tic5sFo1r9x0sdo1_400.gif

falconbox

Banned
I've been using my Xbox 360 controller while playing Counter Strike on PC for years now to no detriment whatsoever. Still wrecking people in any server I join.

It's funny when I tell them I'm not using a KB/M. They don't believe me. They can't wrap their heads around it.

Grief.exe

Ya, it's very toxic to a games community. Plus it legitimizes the cheating process because you can go lol im a pad user hur hur. There will be complaints of people with aim assist dominating pubs. I'll bet on it.

I'll still dominate pubs without it on.

Cheating in games has always bored me, the type of personality that enjoys such a thing has to be pretty horrible.

vazel

Banned
I've been using my Xbox 360 controller while playing Counter Strike on PC for years now to no detriment whatsoever. Still wrecking people in any server I join.

It's funny when I tell them I'm not using a KB/M. They don't believe me. They can't wrap their heads around it.
I'm sorry but LOL. Please relay to me the scrub servers you're playing on so I can wipe the floor with them too; I need the ego boost.

Edit: On second thought, sorry for my attitude. I do know of someone in the L4D2 PC community that plays with a 360 controller and he's pretty good at it. He's proof that you don't need aim assist to be good with a gamepad although I guess it depends on how much the game emphasizes mobility and what weapons you're using(he's primarily a shotgun player).

Grief.exe

keyboard and mouse for life

heres hoping the pc version isnt fucked

Well, what little we do know about the PC version frightens me.

Officially accepted cheating (scripters will be able to adapt auto-aim to mouse users day one. Will be difficult to detect)
Probably an Origin exclusive
Microsoft controlled servers

Try putting the bots on 'Medium.'

charsace

Shadowrun doesn't have a garbage choke infested netcode and the recoil system is nowhere near as hard as certain guns in CS. Not just easier to aim but things register far more consistently.

This is the truth. Shadowrun isn't nearly as hard as CS or even source. Sometimes on CSS you had to aim at the thigh with AK at certain distances to account for the kick. Shadowrun is child's play in comparison. And controllers also get hit with the same fast turn type of penalty, just not as heavy as the mouse. Shadowrun rewards pistol, sniper, and rifle users who set up and get good positioning. You had to be good if you wanted to run and gun with those guns.

vocab

I'll still dominate pubs without it on.

Cheating in games has always bored me, the type of personality that enjoys such a thing has to be pretty horrible.

Of course. There's just gonna be those people who ruin everything for everyone. You can easily beat someone who cheats, and a game with objectives it's easily to manipulate the cheater into situations where he cant win without looking obvious or putting him in a situation outside of his limitations.

LCGeek

formerly sane

I can, been telling gaffers it's doable and in a game like that in pubs you can get away with a lot. Love aim and fy maps so easy to get 2:1 at the very least.

Started playing with no assists since goldeneye and never stopped playing with controllers cause in general most of my friends do console shooters vs pc. Once you learn to line people up with a pad it's a little easier for me to control certain types of combat situations cause instead of moving the pointer I simply strafe and stay locked on.

Kudos indeed.

As playing with a controller gets more popular on PC and developers want to bring console players over to PC this is just something that's going to be the norm. Since I am TERRIBLE on console even with aim assist I don't see this as gamebreaking.

charsace

All the shit talk about mouse being better than controllers doesn't mean anything for 90% of the people who play fps because they aren't good enough for it to matter.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Up until this thread I wasnt aware aim assist was something people liked/wanted.

If you use a controller, it can make things obviously easier. So I can see the appeal of a slight assist.

My feeling is that it will not be transparent, we will have no idea who is using what controller. They want as many people playing together as possible, and I doubt they would allow that separation to happen/

LCGeek

formerly sane
All the shit talk about mouse being better than controllers doesn't mean anything for 90% of the people who play fps because they aren't good enough for it to matter.

Considering the online play in general is bigger on pc when we add all numbers this is meaningless point. Outside one of two post no one is having a debate that has been done to death here.

How long before someone finds a way to use auto-aim with KB/M?

Since it's a source title I'd say a few days in to the beta. This game is going to be troll magnet can't see why devs and ea think this is a good idea considering the history of the subject.

Gaogaogao

Well, what little we do know about the PC version frightens me.

Officially accepted cheating (scripters will be able to adapt auto-aim to mouse users day one. Will be difficult to detect)
Probably an Origin exclusive
Microsoft controlled servers

Try putting the bots on 'Medium.'

origin doesn't inherently bother me
are you sure microsoft controls the pc servers?
nervous about cheating though.

What do people think autoaim on consoles is? It just makes your reticle slow down when it passes over an enemy. People are making it seem like you press a button and it snaps onto the closest head or something. There are much worse hacks on PC that will be on the game within a few days anyway.

Synth

So Respawn just gave a free auto-aim hack for scripters

Will be reconfigured for mouse-users day one.

iblwWktjDkxZum.gif

Seeing as this will be Halo-style aim assist, and not Metroid Prime style lock-on, what would make this NOT the most useless auto-aim hack the world has ever seen? Having your mouse sensitivity drop as you near targets isn't something I'd ever sign up for!

Also, I know people keep referring to Crysis 2 (which I've never played), but how exactly do you fuck this up without being reeeaaally stupid about it? A mouse supplies relative distance vs the absolute distance of a stick. It shouldn't be possible to get the two confused. Anyone creating an exploit to circumvent that should have no problems creating a standard (working) aimbot in the first place.

I don't get why everyone is so worried here.

What do people think autoaim on consoles is? It just makes your reticle slow down when it passes over an enemy. People are making it seem like you press a button and it snaps onto the closest head or something. There are much worse hacks on PC that will be on the game within a few days anyway.

EDIT: You think like me.

antitrop

On a related note, I was somehow convinced this was an Activision joint. Since it's EA (and thus, most likely Origin), I guess I won't be playing it. oh well
Weird thought, considering Respawn was formed out of a major lawsuit/counter-suit (that was settled allegedly very much in favor of West/Zampella) with Activision.

The thought of them publishing Titanfall after that is laughable.

LCGeek

formerly sane

That's not the history of aim assists if we examine it from N64 till now. Devs have a variety of ways of doing this. While there is no button pressing for snappnig someone with good reflex can easily abuse the snapping aim assists to acquire you quicker. Sure it's not GTA like snapping but it's one step below from being it.

People are complaing cause when this has been done befoer as me and someone mentioned in shadow and crysis 2 in recent memory hacks use this to make it even easier. Not only that when they get accused they go I'm just using a controller while they proceed to go perfect or have a very unlikely KDR for even a pro. Funny how someone who admits to never playing c2 can make such a point and ignore reality for the sake of argument.

Grief.exe

origin doesn't inherently bother me
are you sure microsoft controls the pc servers?
nervous about cheating though.

Yes. Servers are handled by Microsoft Azure, aka The Cloud™

http://www.respawn.com/news/lets-talk-about-the-xbox-live-cloud/

It doesn't slow down the sensitivity, it snaps to the enemy when close.

vazel

Banned
I can see that being a detriment if you remap it to mouse controls. It will affect the feel of mouse movement and screw with your muscle memory.

Hodders

Neo Member
For me personally this is good news as it means I don't have to stump up for an Xbox One or play what's likely to be a very downgraded version on the 360.

At least now I can feel like I'm on more of a level playing field against kb+m users on the PC version.

I no doubt still will suck though haha.

falconbox

Banned
You can add all the assistances you want [such the subtle 'ledge magnetism' in Dishonored], but M+K will still run in circles around you, with full control over degrees:
http://youtu.be/duFPUNInpXo
http://youtu.be/5Q6-WDOSHXw

And the gap increases when it comes to move & shoot at the same time.

I'm confused. Are you saying you can't nade jump with a controller? Easily possible. Only thing this guy had going for him was it seemed his sensitivity was cranked to the max.

Grief.exe

Where does it say that? The response in twitter was in response to a person asking about sticky aim.
What game(s) are you referring to here? Because this hasn't been my experience playing console FPS games.

I could be mistaken since I am not a console player, that was my understanding of how auto-aim functions.

It doesn't affect your sensitivity, but snaps and sticks to the target as you get close. There may be several implementations of course.

Synth

I could be mistaken since I am not a console player, that was my understanding of how auto-aim functions.

It doesn't affect your sensitivity, but snaps and sticks to the target as you get close. There may be several implementations of course.

Yea, in that case you are. In general they simply alter your sensitivity to make it easier to track your target. Which would be hilariously useless for someone using a mouse.

Sean*O

This game is the biggest ongoing mistake I've seen in quite some time. It's like MS is in charge of it completely because it's been full of as many bad decisions along the way as the Xbone itself.

You've just alienated a shit ton of PC gamers, what's next?

Grief.exe

You've just alienated a shit ton of PC gamers, what's next?

In the grand scheme of things I'm sure this alienated a negligible amount of PC gamers.

Most are just going to tell Respawn the potential shortcomings of such a decision, but its fairly irrelevant overall.

Yea, in that case you are. In general they simply alter your sensitivity to make it easier to track your target. Which would be hilariously useless for someone using a mouse.

Right. And that kind of autoaim can even mess up your aim with controllers in certain situations. It would be nothing but an impediment to mouse users who can already make small adjustments easily.

The way most games I have played Halo, CoD etc just slows down sensitivity when your cursor is over a target and makes it a lil sticky. Only games like GTA have full blown auto aim where it snaps to the target.

MW2 (and probably every COD after it) snaps to the enemy when near.
Only time I ever see the reticle move on it's own is when someone runs across my crosshair and it sticks to them and follws for a tiny bit to help with tracking. I don't think I have ever had it snap to an enemy.

Synth

Well fuck me then, commence panic. (I've never played CoD online, so didn't know this)

I still don't think it transferred to m+kb is an issue though, unless Respawn are stupid.

In the single player they have snapping, but in the multiplayer they do not. They use lower sensitivity and magnetism aim assist. Mechanically aim assist from Cod2-Cod Ghost is the same, the magnitude and effective distances have changed (since they vary per gun type).

Top Bottom