• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Console War III: Sony's first jab at Microsoft: "Jump Out", "Yoga Isn't Gaming"

DEADEVIL

This reminds me how shameless the move is. It's like the peripheral version of Dante's Inferno or the new Tomb Raider.

It worked great with Killzone 3 though :-/

Yeah I didn't like it all for MAG, but it worked like a charm K3 and Dead Space Extraction

I would cry tears of Joy if they brought back the Guncon with Point Blank HD Trilogy. That gam was my -ish back in the day.

1089696808-00.jpg

I love love love shit-talking commercials/marketing. Genny vs SNES was epic. Sony vs Sega/Nintendo was awesome. I even loved the PS3 Move ad that targeted Kinect (the PEW PEW PEW ad), but in my opinion it only really works when you're in a position of strength. I just think Sony should try to get there first and then start waving their dick around again. This is the equivalent of a football player on a team losing by 50 taunting a guy on the other team. Then the other guy just points at the scoreboard and walks away laughing.

I see your point fair enough. I just hope this marketing group can actually get out a working message that isn't bipolar like the ps3 was.

Concept17

Ads made me chuckle but let's hope this isn't a sign of Sony getting cocky again like they were leading up to the PS3 reveal and launch.

Nah, the PS2 to PS3 transition was purely ignorance. This is just competitive Sony, which is actually good to see. This time they KNOW they have competition, rather than assuming they were just going to steamroll everyone again.

Ohhh 2006-2008, how I've missed thee.

Yoga line is a bit silly given Eyetoy Kinetic (and more recently Move Fitness). They're all as guilty as each other of that shit.

So is Sony going to make the Playstation the "cool" console?

Actually probably their best angle. Your mom uses the Xbox. The Playstation is for you!

I actually do hope its more than posturing and they are getting away from the yoga bullshit and just trying to make the best gaming console available. For games. I have a 360 and never had a PS3 but I would switch in a heartbeat.

Aww yeah, love the old shit talking Sony. They were MIA this gen.

Actually all three were really tame this gen. Good to see Sony take off the kid gloves.

This is great. Kudos to the new marketing firm if they are already doing things.

It's amazing how much things turned on Sony favor in the last couple of years...

PS3 started doing well, Wii success dried up, then WiiU is kind of bombing and not pleasing core gamers, and Microsoft, who seemed to be going for the kill decided to lose focus and go batshit insane with kinect stuff, casual stuff, media hub.

They both fumbled and left Sony in a great position. They would have to outdo themselves to fuck this up. All the signs point to them making the right choices next gen.

Just don't think anything is already decided, be serious, be all about great games and do us good on the 20th.

Wynnebeck

Banned
True veterans from the last console war automatically recognized what Sony was talking about with the "Jump Out" jab. Just drop the bomb next week Sony.

Beelzebubs

Hate to say it but half the people on this board haven't lived through the true console wars. Getting all excited over a couple of tweets? Tut tut.

Azriell

So is Sony going to make the Playstation the "cool" console?

Actually probably their best angle. Your mom uses the Xbox. The Playstation is for you!

I actually do hope its more than posturing and they are getting away from the yoga bullshit and just trying to make the best gaming console available. For games. I have a 360 and never had a PS3 but I would switch in a heartbeat.

In my mind, this is the reason why the PS2 was so strong (+dvd player). Every episode of cribs and every time there was an interview where a celebrity was asked about playing games, the PS2 was mentioned/shown. I don't know how Sony reached that position of mainstream with celebrities but that level of unintentional endorsement had to do be responsible for a good chunk of PS2 sales.

You see a lot of 360s on tv and in movies, but it always comes across as product placement. "Playstation" was ubiquitous with video games for a little while there, like Nintendo with the NES before it.

PhatSaqs

Banned
I hope Sony brings it honestly. I just hope GAF can hold its shit in.
Who am I kidding? GAF lost its shit the minute the PS Meeting/Kaz thread was created lol

Raonak

Banned
I love love love shit-talking commercials/marketing. Genny vs SNES was epic. Sony vs Sega/Nintendo was awesome. I even loved the PS3 Move ad that targeted Kinect (the PEW PEW PEW ad), but in my opinion it only really works when you're in a position of strength. I just think Sony should try to get there first and then start waving their dick around again. This is the equivalent of a football player on a team losing by 50 taunting a guy on the other team. Then the other guy just points at the scoreboard and walks away laughing.

I agree in general, but I think it works well if you're using it as a hype machine. Plus, this isn't the same old game, new generation, new consoles, new rules.
scoreboard is literally at 0-0 (since nothings even been announced).

these jabs are perfectly timed, especially for GAF, with all the positive playstation buzz around here.

harmonize

It is a reason for them, but I'm sure it wasn't THE reason. Sony wanted to be part of the living room market.
And... Microsoft didn't? Pretty sure they stated several times that the end-game of getting into consoles was to take control of the living room, as we're clearly seeing the effect of now.

Dali

This combined with the Yoga jabs, Sony is back to arrogant mode and feeling themselves.
Insulting the competition doesnt come across as arrogance to me. Now taking your market domination and third party allegiance for granted...

Orca

You see a lot of 360s on tv and in movies, but it always comes across as product placement. "Playstation" was ubiquitous with video games for a little while there, like Nintendo with the NES before it.
I hope you don't watch House of Cards if you hate forced product placement.

kuroshiki

And... Microsoft didn't? Pretty sure they stated several times that the end-game of getting into consoles was to take control of the living room, as we're clearly seeing the effect of now.

Well the problem with Microsoft is that they are trying to integrating everything (phone, windows, etc) into one gigantic eco system.

They are failing BAD. I mean not just BAD, Catastrophically awful would be right word. They are bleeding resources on Mobile phone, Windows 8, Bing, etc. They failed to integrate and make useful weapon out of their Xbox brand for Windows phone. Integration between Win RT, Phone and 8 are virtually none-existent and Bing integration doesn't do shit at all this time.

I'm surprised that one company can fight this multiple front at once and still survive.

Someone please do this!

Also, has it been confirmed that Sony is actually the one behind these ads?

I've been asking this since page one of this thread, no one can answer me really.

I highly doubt Sony has anything to do with these so called "ads"

I mean there's one thing seeing an ad air on prime time, network TV, and another a screen grab of a plain text banner ad from a smartphone...I call bullshit, and it's really sad people think these are done by Sony.

Sony should just go full on wrestling villain this time around. Their arrogance with the PS3 sucked because they couldn't back it up, but things look better with the PS4. They need to embrace showmanship and have a moment like the first iPhone/iPad keynote where they make the competition look like shit (whether or not it's true).

SPDIF

Well the problem with Microsoft is that they are trying to integrating everything (phone, windows, etc) into one gigantic eco system.

They are failing BAD. I mean not just BAD, Catastrophically awful would be right word. They are bleeding resources on Mobile phone, Windows 8, Bing, etc. They failed to integrate and make useful weapon out of their Xbox brand for Windows phone. Integration between Win RT, Phone and 8 are virtually none-existent and Bing integration doesn't do shit at all this time.

I'm surprised that one company can fight this multiple front at once and still survive.

The only major money loser is Bing. Windows Phones might not sell much, but they still make a decent amount of money.

Why you put Windows 8 in there I don't know. An OS that sells 60 million licenses in its first 2 months is hardly something to worry about.

Quazar

Changes gaming lol Here we go with the big promises from one of the two. Graphical upgrades will only last so long.

I thought I'd get tired of the Kaz gifs by now, but they are consistently hilarious. I've never been apart of console wars, though. I like games first and foremost, but it looks like Sony has a lot of momentum going for them right now. They absolutely can't disappoint on the 20th.

Top Bottom