• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Source 2 and Left 4 Dead 3 accidentally confirmed by Valve tour group of dev floor

DedValve

Banned
I hope they put walk animations on the pistols this time.

I'm a bit disappointed it took 3 pages for this to show up. My man.

That said my hype is reaching through the roof. Make an announcement for next gen consoles and I'm all yours baby.

Broken and too easy for the survivors?

no thanks

Versus on 2 was laughably easy for any half competent team. The added SI wrecked with the selection balance, the Jockey was almost completely useless(essentially Smoker v2), Teir 1 weapons and Pistols becoming useless, and the Tank being laughable unless you were unlucky enough to get one in the very beginning of a match.
This is on top of the horrid changes to the point system which turned it into a big race with no emphasis on Health whatsoever.
"Oh, you got your team to the end with 4 Healthpacks? Here's 100 extra points!"
Left 4 dead 2 was good, but it needed another year in development to fully flesh it out as a solid sequel. TBH I still think it should have been a 30$ expansion.

When everyone stops making Gabe Newell fat jokes.

In the mean time we get nothing but Left 4 Dead Sequels...

So basically never?

When it can make as big of an impact as the first two did.

so probably never

You mean in terms of sales, or in terms of pushing the genre forward? If its the latter, they've had like what...almost 6 years now? And it hasn't even been announced yet. So AT LEAST 7 years....and the last game was barely 5 hours long, too.

Nice!

Will buy on PS4 for sure.

If Valve releases the Steam Box why wouldn't they leverage their franchises against PS4 and XBone and release them exclusively through Steam on PC, Mac, Linux and Steam Box. This particular game was more popular on console than The Orange Box. Maybe it makes sense to debut Steam Box with this title as no other Valve franchise has sold as well as L4D series on consoles. Since Steam Box will have a console like experience, perhaps this game will give traction for such a device to succeed.

Darryl

Banned
Valve just lets tour people in. Friends of employees, people like this etc. You don't need a badge (I didn't at least) or talk to anyone. Their policy is basically to be cool about it. Last year someone took pictures of some unused concept art and got "in trouble". Hopefully for the tour process if this is real it doesn't stop them from being so open.

you mean all this time people could've just walked in and checked if they were working on half life 3 and no one did it

Deprive

Hard to believe it's been five years since L4D2 released. Really doesn't seem that long ago.

Hope the game is more like the first and less like 2. Love city stages.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
tyjdm3sjszk9.jpg

Half Life 3 is coming

Half Life 3 is coming

Half Life 3 is coming

Cartman86

Banned
you mean all this time people could've just walked in and checked if they were working on half life 3 and no one did it

lol obviously you can't get onto their floor without someone to let you in, but once they do it's not like they are incredibly strict with you. There are quotes from Valve people that discuss this.

sn00zer

So....Im just spit balling here....L4D3 is code for HL3.....they knew there would be leaks eventually, so why not leak something that wont cause too much of a stir

nib95

Banned
I got my grubby little paws on that on the day it was leaked, a day later valve lawyers purged the internet of it. Never thought files/info could just up n dissapear, not on the internet, but valve made it happen.

It was glorious: no AI , having to load maps through the console,almost all scripts missing, many sounds missing, half the levels still greyboxed.
But to get to play around with the havoc physics early was magical, it was a special moment in vidyagames when environments stopped being static.

Agreed.

I managed to get it too. Amazing. Even though it was barren and awkward, it was weird, wonderful, exciting and fun.

No, as I said these are what I'm hoping (praying) for, they're source 1 features. They are the basic requirements for having a solid foundation to make an fps game. (can't use vsync because of input lag, NEED 1:1 lagless mouse controls, NEED good netcode, can't have uneven frametimes in fps games )
Valve are competent so I'll either be immensely relieved or endlessly dissapointed and disillusioned come source 2 release.

I really don't think I can deal with it if they cock it up. Id' feel like the guy in zombieland when he finds out there isn't a single twinkie left in the world.

As you mentioned Valve are competent and even if they screw some things up I am sure they won't screw it all up. Look how far they have taken Source since HL2. Look at Respawns game to see how far they have taken the Source engine too and you see how resilient that engine truly is.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Since this confirms their JIRA leak, and people are complaining about Half-Life in here:

1.) Left 4 Dead 3 and Source 2 each have multiple separate JIRA groups in their tracker, which is consistent with things in active development.

2.) Half-Life 3, while present, only had around 40 people and a single group, suggesting it's still in some sort of overstaffed pre-production and/or development hell. Though, if they have multi-group join on, they could have just forgotten to remove themselves.

I'm excited to see what Source 2 can do. I'm looking forward to learning about the engine just as much as I'm looking forward to any game that will utilize it. Also, I hope the cast in L4D3 is the Midnight Riders.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I've got no problem with a L4D3... but it's too damn soon. Yes, yes, been two years defense and all that. But I'm saying the gameplay unless radically altered needs to be put on ice for another two years before I even think of a L4D3.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I've got no problem with a L4D3... but it's too damn soon. Yes, yes, been two years defense and all that. But I'm saying the gameplay unless radically altered needs to be put on ice for another two years before I even think of a L4D3.

Left 4 Dead 2 released in 2009 and L4D3 is presumably a 2014 game at the earliest.

pushBAK

An interesting post from reddit;

Source Engine 2
Nobody ever fucking believes me.
Half-Life came out to showcase GoldSrc.
All Half-Life games between HL1 and HL2 were released as HL1 extensions on GoldSrc.
Half-Life 2 came out to showcase Source.
All Half-Life games between HL2 and HL3 have been released as HL2 extensions on Source.
Half-Life 3 will come out to showcase Source 2.
Each main Half-Life game marks a new engine by Valve.
Every time I mention this, I get told it's the dumbest idea ever and that the engines are entirely unrelated to the release of the Half-Life games.
rabble, rabble, rabble

JaseC

An interesting post from reddit;

I think everybody familiar with Valve's history is acutely aware that Half-Life marked the debut of GoldSrc and Half-Life 2 the debut of Source, but what little evidence we have at the moment suggests that L4D3 is further along than HL3.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
From left to right:

- Steam client
- Steam website
- Source 2
- Dota 2
- Half-Life 3

Seems the most logical.

Wouldn't it make more sense for Item 5 to actually be Left 4 Dead 3 given it's mentioned in the Source 2 note?

This note is in the Source 2 bucket since it's from the Source 2 perspective, but presumably Left 4 Dead 3 gets project updates to its own project.

sirap

You guys are missing the big picture.

L4D3 means Valve can count to 3. That means Portal 3, Half-Life 3.

JaseC

Wouldn't it make more sense for Item 5 to actually be Left 4 Dead 3 given it's mentioned in the Source 2 note?

This note is in the Source 2 bucket since it's from the Source 2 perspective, but presumably Left 4 Dead 3 gets project updates to its own project.

Yes. I was joking:

I think everybody familiar with Valve's history is acutely aware that Half-Life marked the debut of GoldSrc and Half-Life 2 the debut of Source, but what little evidence we have at the moment suggests that L4D3 is further along than HL3.

Top Bottom