• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

ronaldthump
Member
(05-19-2017, 03:26 PM)
Eeeew.. beat the QUEEN BUG

that was hectic as fuck. Dodge, running, scream going omg, bugs jumping in your face etc. Sooo good. When I beat it, I sort of wish that the next section didn't kick in so fast so I can go around and shoot the big bug a bit more

and oo the story, the cgi characters look really good in the cutscenes too. I sat down to watch moon and elizabeth (?) talk about the 30 years and it all done very well. very cool game.

so much fun shooting shit in this. The aim controller is hella accurate.


and oh they need to patch in better check points when I quit my game last night, I was at the boss but I booted it up and I was a many encounters back. I wonder if this was done to "lengthen the game". I just quit the game; haven't reached a cutscene - I dread to see where it boots me back to.
Rated-Rsuperstar
Member
(05-19-2017, 03:36 PM)
Rated-Rsuperstar's Avatar
I find myself closing my left eye everytime I aim down the sights.
mrk8885
Banned
(05-19-2017, 03:40 PM)

Originally Posted by gafneo

Well maybe it's not common then. I haven't had this much trouble setting up cam since Kinect. I mean it was Steal Batalian all over again. Let me try it In other rooms because my lighting sucks and it could be something minor that I haven't considered. Motion control problems are nothing new. Reports claimed that Skyward Sword had detection issues and most people experienced it flawlessly. Myamotto even said he went through rehearsal smoothly but on stage his live E3 demo made it seem like a broken device.

Don't let them get you down. The AIM controller seems to have some tracking issues for some people. Is r widespread? Apparently not. But it's there.

It completely wigged out on me last night. My headset calibration was fine; if I went to the home menu everything was lined up properly when I was facing the camera. But in game, everything was pulled extremely to the left and couldn't be reset. I had to stop playing. It was still tracking the controller but it seemed that the point that it now called "straight forward" was a foot left of the end of my tv. Hoping when I fire it up today it'll be back to normal.

I think Farpoint is cool and overall I like the controller. But yea, it seemed to have a meltdown last night.
WITHE1982
Member
(05-19-2017, 03:40 PM)
WITHE1982's Avatar

Originally Posted by mrk8885

Does this happen later in the game? I'm in the second level, and just picked up a shotgun. And I could still swap back to my rifle.

yes, sorry was away from computer. I've used 4 different weapons so far but you can only carry 2 at a time. You have to sacrifice one that you're carrying to pickup another.
Outtrigger888
Member
(05-19-2017, 04:28 PM)
Outtrigger888's Avatar

Originally Posted by Rated-Rsuperstar

I find myself closing my left eye everytime I aim down the sights.

Aren't you suppose to do that? I do the same.
Proteus
BOSS
(05-19-2017, 04:29 PM)
Proteus's Avatar
After hearing these impressions I would be curious about a Sniper Elite style game in VR. Imagine if your view travelled with the bullet.
Fox1304
Member
(05-19-2017, 04:42 PM)
Fox1304's Avatar

Originally Posted by Proteus

After hearing these impressions I would be curious about a Sniper Elite style game in VR. Imagine if your view travelled with the bullet.

We just need a Silent Scope port. Anyone. Please. Give it to us.
cakely
Member
(05-19-2017, 04:45 PM)
cakely's Avatar

Originally Posted by Rated-Rsuperstar

I find myself closing my left eye everytime I aim down the sights.

That's how a real sight works. You form a line from a single eye, through the rear and forward aiming pieces on the gun, to the target.

If you have a dominant eye, you can sometimes keep both eyes open and still sight properly. Otherwise, you have to close the eye that's not looking down the sight.
Briarios
Member
(05-19-2017, 04:49 PM)
Briarios's Avatar

Originally Posted by cakely

That's how a real sight works. You form a line from a single eye, through the rear and forward aiming pieces on the gun, to the target.

If you have a dominant eye, you can sometimes keep both eyes open and still sight properly. Otherwise, you have to close the eye that's not looking down the sight.

Actually, I found that if I pull the assault rifle in tight to my chest, like a real rifle, I can look down the sight with both eyes open with perfect accuracy. I was needing to close one eye when I kept it loose because it wouldn't align.
Planet
Member
(05-19-2017, 05:07 PM)
Planet's Avatar

Originally Posted by mrk8885

Don't let them get you down. The AIM controller seems to have some tracking issues for some people. Is r widespread? Apparently not. But it's there.

Never said that there are zero issues for everyone. It must really suck to get this marvelous thing everyone is talking about just to run into issues you can't fix. Maybe there is something wrong with his setup, maybe his controller is faulty, I wouldn't know. Shit happens, sadly.
iratA
Member
(05-19-2017, 05:15 PM)
iratA's Avatar

Originally Posted by Proteus

After hearing these impressions I would be curious about a Sniper Elite style game in VR. Imagine if your view travelled with the bullet.

You can shoot zombies with a sniper rifle (using the PSVR Aim) in Arizona Sunshine next month!
Tadale
Member
(05-19-2017, 05:28 PM)
Tadale's Avatar

Originally Posted by Proteus

After hearing these impressions I would be curious about a Sniper Elite style game in VR. Imagine if your view travelled with the bullet.

Playing the game has made me interested in a "tactical" style game with a focus on cover using the aim controller. I think a slow paced shooter in that style could work well.
iratA
Member
(05-19-2017, 05:33 PM)
iratA's Avatar

Originally Posted by Tadale

Playing the game has made me interested in a "tactical" style game with a focus on cover using the aim controller. I think a slow paced shooter in that style could work well.

Agreed, sniper games would be delicious in VR with this thing.

Cover mechanics are fine as long as there's an option to go in and out of cover with the push of a button. Not everyone likes bobbing their head up and down constantly, plus it doesn't work too well whilst playing VR games from a seated position.
Crash331
Member
(05-19-2017, 05:40 PM)
Crash331's Avatar

Originally Posted by mrk8885

Don't let them get you down. The AIM controller seems to have some tracking issues for some people. Is r widespread? Apparently not. But it's there.

It completely wigged out on me last night. My headset calibration was fine; if I went to the home menu everything was lined up properly when I was facing the camera. But in game, everything was pulled extremely to the left and couldn't be reset. I had to stop playing. It was still tracking the controller but it seemed that the point that it now called "straight forward" was a foot left of the end of my tv. Hoping when I fire it up today it'll be back to normal.

I think Farpoint is cool and overall I like the controller. But yea, it seemed to have a meltdown last night.

Restart your PS4. I have noticed tracking gets wonky if the PS4 has been in sleep mode or if it hasn't been rebooted in a while.
Rated-Rsuperstar
Member
(05-19-2017, 07:22 PM)
Rated-Rsuperstar's Avatar

Originally Posted by cakely

That's how a real sight works. You form a line from a single eye, through the rear and forward aiming pieces on the gun, to the target.

If you have a dominant eye, you can sometimes keep both eyes open and still sight properly. Otherwise, you have to close the eye that's not looking down the sight.

Oh I know. I should have said its so accurate to real life that its neccesary.
Z3M0G
Member
(05-19-2017, 07:26 PM)
Z3M0G's Avatar

Originally Posted by Rated-Rsuperstar

I find myself closing my left eye everytime I aim down the sights.

I find it strange that anyone would try this with both eyes open.
Baalzebup
Member
(05-19-2017, 07:35 PM)
Baalzebup's Avatar

Originally Posted by Z3M0G

I find it strange that anyone would try this with both eyes open.

One of the great advantages of holographic and red dot sights is the ability to train almost anyone to aim accurately within relatively short ranges while still keeping both eyes open. This is something that works more or less perfectly with the assault rifle in this game as well.

The ability to aim down the sights while still retaining the full forward field of vision by keeping both eyes open gives a tremendous advantage in situational awareness.
Listonosh
Member
(05-19-2017, 08:39 PM)
Listonosh's Avatar

Originally Posted by Reallink

Yea, is that the issue?

I would like to know this as well. Where is the prime placement for the camera for maximum effectiveness?
Briarios
Member
(05-19-2017, 09:14 PM)
Briarios's Avatar
By the way, if anyone wants to add me for co-op, I use the same screen name on PSN. Just mention it's for Farpoint -- I get spammed from rocket league, so I ignore a lot of invites. My play style is pretty casual, I like to do well, but I'm not obsessed with it. I play to have fun. So in co-op, I play my best, but I don't take it seriously.
martinstraka8282
Member
(05-19-2017, 09:29 PM)

Originally Posted by Listonosh

I would like to know this as well. Where is the prime placement for the camera for maximum effectiveness?

I find at about eye level with the headset and slightly angled down is optimal but it can sometimes depend on the game. As for distance, 5 to 7 feet is ideal in my experience. The closer the better for tracking but not so close you lose too much viewable area.
backbreaker65
Banned
(05-19-2017, 09:32 PM)
Far Point AIM Controller Set Up by Impulse Gear
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGCF0m3bRMo&t=0s
Codiox
Member
(05-19-2017, 10:37 PM)
Codiox's Avatar
Is it true that you can't crouch in the game? Like in batman for instance?


Also coop is epic. Add me for coop: C0D10X
Briarios
Member
(05-19-2017, 10:53 PM)
Briarios's Avatar

Originally Posted by Codiox

Is it true that you can't crouch in the game? Like in batman for instance?


Also coop is epic. Add me for coop: C0D10X

If you are standing while playing, and you crouch - you crouch in game.

I figure this out in accident while playing - I sat down on my futon for a second, then I noticed I was moving very slowly. I looked over at my shadow and it was crouched. I also saw the shadow lean left and right when I did. So, the game does track that
vanillacupcakes
Member
(05-19-2017, 11:23 PM)

Originally Posted by Outtrigger888

100% worth it. Just played another hour CO-OP with a good player and did 2 missions. Once you get into it and things get frantic and your aiming down sights taking enemy's out it's what I invisioned VR to be like. To me this is the stepping stone for FPS's in VR the AIM controller feels natural and the stick and button placements are great. For 64$ with gamers club unlocked it's a must buy.

Sold.

With the standalone aim already costing 60, i figured with GCU, all the more reason to buy the bundle. Thanks!
f@luS
More than a member.
(05-19-2017, 11:24 PM)
Hi. Few questions


-How to select the costume dlc I downloaded ? Don't see anywhere
-Is co op available on the go or do i need my own friend ? No random ?
-what are the different control methods ? Ive seen many in the options. Playing with aim controller
Codiox
Member
(05-19-2017, 11:27 PM)
Codiox's Avatar

Originally Posted by Briarios

If you are standing while playing, and you crouch - you crouch in game.

I figure this out in accident while playing - I sat down on my futon for a second, then I noticed I was moving very slowly. I looked over at my shadow and it was crouched. I also saw the shadow lean left and right when I did. So, the game does track that

Hmm it lost the tracking when I tried to crouch. Maybe I have to adjust the camera again.
Eighthours
Member
(05-20-2017, 12:13 AM)
I've only played for 90 minutes or so but this is super fun - I can definitely see the Aim controller gaining traction over the coming year. Despite the game itself being pretty basic as FPSs go, everything's really well done and the feeling of holding a real object that maps to the gun in-game heightens the immersion massively.

It blows my mind to think/hope that in 5 years' time if VR is successful enough, we might be playing something like Battlefield in VR with a headset capable of 4K. Makes me want to continue to support experiments like Farpoint.
xillyriax
Member
(05-20-2017, 01:53 AM)
xillyriax's Avatar

Originally Posted by f@luS

Hi. Few questions


-How to select the costume dlc I downloaded ? Don't see anywhere
-Is co op available on the go or do i need my own friend ? No random ?
-what are the different control methods ? Ive seen many in the options. Playing with aim controller

-the player tab in the Settings menu, should be on the bottom, under handedness
-yes. yes.
-aim & ds4, with different options for turning
hank_tree
Member
(05-20-2017, 02:40 AM)
hank_tree's Avatar
Why do the rockets change direction if you look away?

I was fighting the first big boss, and shot a rocket directly at him, then I turn to take care of some other business and the rocket swerves down to where I'm looking now.
innervision961
Member
(05-20-2017, 02:57 AM)
innervision961's Avatar

Originally Posted by hank_tree

Why do the rockets change direction if you look away?

I was fighting the first big boss, and shot a rocket directly at him, then I turn to take care of some other business and the rocket swerves down to where I'm looking now.

Rockets are laser guided and go to where the gun is pointing afaik
hank_tree
Member
(05-20-2017, 03:03 AM)
hank_tree's Avatar

Originally Posted by innervision961

Rockets are laser guided and go to where the gun is pointing afaik

Ah. That's super annoying on that first boss. I want to shoot my rocket and then start clearing adds right away.

No big.
xillyriax
Member
(05-20-2017, 03:39 AM)
xillyriax's Avatar
any of you folks having trouble picking up the shotgun at the beginning of the lava level? :/
Robby322
Member
(05-20-2017, 04:19 AM)
Robby322's Avatar
Anyone here playing this on a regular PS4? Does it still look great? I tried this out at PAX East on a PS4 Pro and it was a great time, just want to know how it compares.
Grinchy
Member
(05-20-2017, 04:56 AM)
Grinchy's Avatar

Originally Posted by xillyriax

any of you folks having trouble picking up the shotgun at the beginning of the lava level? :/

Swapping weapons in general has been very buggy for me (from a sitting position). I find that I just have to move my body up as close to the new gun as I can so that the camera doesn't lose tracking while trying to swap them.
The_Inquisitor
Member
(05-20-2017, 06:19 AM)
The_Inquisitor's Avatar
Well played about 20 minutes and needed a break. My initial impressions is positive. I scream like a little girl when spiders come for my face.
bumpkin
Member
(05-20-2017, 06:44 AM)
bumpkin's Avatar

Originally Posted by ronaldthump

Eeeew.. beat the QUEEN BUG

that was hectic as fuck. Dodge, running, scream going omg, bugs jumping in your face etc. Sooo good. When I beat it, I sort of wish that the next section didn't kick in so fast so I can go around and shoot the big bug a bit more

and oo the story, the cgi characters look really good in the cutscenes too. I sat down to watch moon and elizabeth (?) talk about the 30 years and it all done very well. very cool game.

so much fun shooting shit in this. The aim controller is hella accurate.


and oh they need to patch in better check points when I quit my game last night, I was at the boss but I booted it up and I was a many encounters back. I wonder if this was done to "lengthen the game". I just quit the game; haven't reached a cutscene - I dread to see where it boots me back to.

Yeah, that boss battle was bad-ass, but also a royal pain in the ass. It kicked my ass at least five or six times before I finally took it down.

I think they're doing checkpoints and save points as separate things. When you die, you return to the last checkpoint, but if you quit the game and restart it, you pick up at the last save point. It seems like the save points only happen after you finish a mission. So basically if you start a mission, you have to commit to finishing it. I don't think it's "bad" design per say, but it's definitely a bit deceptive. It threw me off the first time I exited out of the game and went back in only to find myself set back 15 or 20 minutes.
MattAces
Member
(05-20-2017, 07:06 AM)
MattAces's Avatar
Finally got mine, played the first area. Whenever I watch gameplays, those spider doesn't do shit to me, not scary at all. God, I scream and almost fell down when the spider jumps to my face. Tracking is good.
Also tried Dick Wilde, surprisingly, the tracking here is much better than Farpoint. Zero jitter, rock solid tracking.
Auto_aim1
MeisaMcCaffrey
(05-20-2017, 07:07 AM)
Auto_aim1's Avatar

Originally Posted by Rated-Rsuperstar

I find myself closing my left eye everytime I aim down the sights.

Haha yes!
ArmageddB
Member
(05-20-2017, 07:09 AM)
ArmageddB's Avatar
Any word on when the patch to switch sticks will drop for us lefties? I'm a hot mess trying to control things in this game. Really frustrating.
Kalentan
Member
(05-20-2017, 07:19 AM)
Kalentan's Avatar
Started to play co-op. It can be hard... Or well, my online co-op partners haven't been all that great.

Granted I'm not sure I'm really one to talk. After all, I finally discovered how to revive my ally only for me to accidently shoot my rocket and kill myself and we failed the mission...

Also got Dick Wilde, game is tough. Like holy shit, even on normal getting past round 6 felt like a challenge. It really ramps up.
dragonflys545
Member
(05-20-2017, 07:25 AM)
dragonflys545's Avatar
This game is awesome! Loving the smooth controls, I really hope this succeeds and they can get a sequel going
dragonflys545
Member
(05-20-2017, 07:27 AM)
dragonflys545's Avatar

Originally Posted by MattAces

Finally got mine, played the first area. Whenever I watch gameplays, those spider doesn't do shit to me, not scary at all. God, I scream and almost fell down when the spider jumps to my face. Tracking is good.
Also tried Dick Wilde, surprisingly, the tracking here is much better than Farpoint. Zero jitter, rock solid tracking.

I got this as well. Really fun, but extremely challenging and requires a lot more movement to dodge shit.
MattAces
Member
(05-20-2017, 07:31 AM)
MattAces's Avatar

Originally Posted by dragonflys545

I got this as well. Really fun, but extremely challenging and requires a lot more movement to dodge shit.

This is the most active movement game I've played in PSVR, you seriously need to dodge and duck like CRAZY. Especially in the later levels and the best part is, the tracking is really good I don't lose track at all. I completed the second area normal difficulty with staple rifle, just mind numbingly fun.
Cthulhu_Steev
Member
(05-20-2017, 08:57 AM)
Cthulhu_Steev's Avatar

Originally Posted by MattAces

Finally got mine, played the first area. Whenever I watch gameplays, those spider doesn't do shit to me, not scary at all. God, I scream and almost fell down when the spider jumps to my face. Tracking is good.
Also tried Dick Wilde, surprisingly, the tracking here is much better than Farpoint. Zero jitter, rock solid tracking.

A spider jumped right past me, I looked round to see where it was and it was SAT ON A ROCK RIGHT AT MY SHOULDER. Fucking thing.
Chittagong
Member
(05-20-2017, 09:12 AM)
Chittagong's Avatar
Really positively surprised on how great the experience with PS Aim is. Realising I'm actually closing one eye to aim was a holy shit moment. I hope all FPSs will have a VR mode.

How do I turn though? I can only strafe with one stick, or turn my head, but not turn my body around.
Backfoggen
Banned
(05-20-2017, 09:28 AM)
Backfoggen's Avatar

Originally Posted by Chittagong

Really positively surprised on how great the experience with PS Aim is. Realising I'm actually closing one eye to aim was a holy shit moment. I hope all FPSs will have a VR mode.

How do I turn though? I can only strafe with one stick, or turn my head, but not turn my body around.

You need to turn it on in the settings.
Kalentan
Member
(05-20-2017, 09:29 AM)
Kalentan's Avatar

Originally Posted by Backfoggen

You need to turn it on in the settings.

Wait so can you manually turn with the aim controller's back stick?
Earthanoid
Member
(05-20-2017, 09:36 AM)
Earthanoid's Avatar
I've been trying to find the bundle all week with no luck, but finally scored today while out running errands.

This game is awesome. I get the criticism that it is a crappy FPS if it were a regular 2D game, but in VR it is next level stuff. Hearing those damn spiders skittering around, looking around frantically trying to find it... then HOLY CRAP ITS IN MY FACE. Holding the gun to my eyes to aim down the sights, it is really another level of immersion. I haven't tried it with a DS4 but the Aim is so great I can't imagine the game being better with it. The tracking is excellent and is just another layer of immersion. I get a bit of jitter which takes me out of it but when I'm shooting I forget about it.

I don't get the complaints about the Aim though. It worked great for me and I didn't get any out of play area errors. I played sitting down. I even was able to turn and shoot at stuff behind me and it tracked fine, although once I realized enemies conveniently ran back in front of you I stopped bothering turning around.

It does feel like a "prototype" experience, even though it works well. But its such a good first outing for the Aim, I really hope we see good support for it. Its time for Virtua Cop, Time Crisis or Gunblade to make a VR comeback.
hank_tree
Member
(05-20-2017, 09:49 AM)
hank_tree's Avatar

Originally Posted by Kalentan

Wait so can you manually turn with the aim controller's back stick?

Correct.
Kalentan
Member
(05-20-2017, 09:52 AM)
Kalentan's Avatar

Originally Posted by hank_tree

Correct.

Man I wish I had known that. Will turn that on for sure for coop.

Thread Tools