• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Bunta
Fujiwara Tofu Shop
(04-04-2016, 06:29 PM)
Bunta's Avatar
Does anyone know if you still get Job Simulator, Fantastic Contraption and Tilt Brush if you order after tomorrow?
spannicus
Member
(04-04-2016, 06:29 PM)
spannicus's Avatar

Originally Posted by terencecah

Someone give me a last few words of encouragement to cancel my Oculus order

It's a 35xxx order so I definitely don't be receiving it before my 2nd wave April Vive order

Keep whatever you get first.
32 on oculus and may vive, after cancelling a april order. Im still confused as to what i want.
ashbash159
Member
(04-04-2016, 06:29 PM)
ashbash159's Avatar
Just put in my order.

Very excited. My only experience with VR was Omega Agent a year ago on the Oculus DK2.
Mikeside
Member
(04-04-2016, 06:29 PM)
Mikeside's Avatar

Originally Posted by terencecah

Someone give me a last few words of encouragement to cancel my Oculus order

It's a 35xxx order so I definitely don't be receiving it before my 2nd wave April Vive order

might as well wait until you receive one headset before you decide you don't want the other one
RadioActiveLobster
Member
(04-04-2016, 06:30 PM)
RadioActiveLobster's Avatar
All this worrying over shipping and orders has kinda made me glad I decided to wait until I can either walk into a store or order one with next day shipping on Amazon.

Much less stressful that way.
artsi
Member
(04-04-2016, 06:31 PM)
artsi's Avatar
Apparently some people in EU have been shipped their Vives according to customer service, but DHL hasn't sent them a notification (at least yet).
Animator
Member
(04-04-2016, 06:31 PM)
Animator's Avatar

Originally Posted by RadioActiveLobster

All this worrying over shipping and orders has kinda made me glad I decided to wait until I can either walk into a store or order one with next day shipping on Amazon.

Much less stressful that way.

Do we know what stores will be selling the vive in store?
VlaudTheImpaler
tl;dr
(04-04-2016, 06:32 PM)
VlaudTheImpaler's Avatar
Posting this for the new thread. I'm tempted to take this to Staples!

Source.
Will the Thrill
Member
(04-04-2016, 06:32 PM)
Will the Thrill's Avatar
So I ordered one on the 29th of March, page still says May. Think I'll actually get it in May? (I haven't tried a VR headset since the first Oculus Dev Kit at a convention in 2013....it's been tooooo long).
jabberwocker
Banned
(04-04-2016, 06:32 PM)

Originally Posted by Bunta

Does anyone know if you still get Job Simulator, Fantastic Contraption and Tilt Brush if you order after tomorrow?

Wait the fantastic contraption is free with it? I though it
Was just tilt and job?
Sleeping Lesson
Member
(04-04-2016, 06:33 PM)
Sleeping Lesson's Avatar

Originally Posted by TheCrow

Congrats. Now I'm watching reddit in hopes that someone from Illinois gets a shipping notification. Shit, anyone from the midwest would do.

Thanks! Godspeed Crow.

Still no word on my Rift, a week after "launch day". What a charade.
Mikeside
Member
(04-04-2016, 06:34 PM)
Mikeside's Avatar
It's a shame that poster image isn't really big enough to get printed for my wall
ashbash159
Member
(04-04-2016, 06:34 PM)
ashbash159's Avatar
Are there any links for Amazon UK for poles and clamps and things for the lighthouses. I see there are links for US Amazon in the OP.

Thanks.
Durante
Come on down to Durante's drivethru PC port fixes. 15 minutes or less. Yelp: ★★★★★

Fixed Souls, Deadly Premonition, Lightning Returns, Umihara Kawase, Symphonia, Little King's Story, PhD, likes mimosas.
(04-04-2016, 06:34 PM)
Durante's Avatar

Originally Posted by jabberwocker

Wait the fantastic contraption is free with it? I though it
Was just tilt and job?

Nope, all three.

(Plus The Lab most likely, which will presumably be released tomorrow)
jabberwocker
Banned
(04-04-2016, 06:35 PM)

Originally Posted by Animator

Do we know what stores will be selling the vive in store?

Like tomorrow? I can't imagine many if any.
CarbonFire
Member
(04-04-2016, 06:43 PM)
CarbonFire's Avatar
Yay the future is here!

....is what I'll be saying in May, once my Vive ships :(

To all those who were smart enough to jump on it quick, enjoy it!
beef3483
Member
(04-04-2016, 06:43 PM)
VR detractors need to read this:

While the near $800 price tag on the Vive is going to be an incredibly tough pill to swallow for most consumers, I have no doubt in my mind that VR tech is at the point where it's ready to be technically feasible, universally impressive and long lasting in appeal.

I've used the Vive for the better part of two weeks now as a daily part of my routine and I've not once experienced motion sickness, fatigue or eye strain. I have instead experienced gaming in a form that's more exciting than anything else I have played in some time. I've used it for work, for gaming, for movies and for everything in between.

- Destructoid

http://www.destructoid.com/review-htc-vive-352103.phtml
Hale-XF11
Member
(04-04-2016, 06:44 PM)
Hale-XF11's Avatar
This review of The Gallery is sooooooooo hype.

killer app?

"While the first episode of this journey only lasted approximately 2 hours for me, by the end I was literally awe struck standing in the middle of my living room, mouth agape, desperately wishing for more."
Yoritomo
Member
(04-04-2016, 06:47 PM)
I have a couple of these that I'll use for mounting.

http://www.amazon.com/SLFC-Tripod-Ca.../dp/B00JKDMG96
jaypah
Member
(04-04-2016, 06:47 PM)
jaypah's Avatar
My wife ordered us a Vive last night out of the blue. So yeah, got a bit of a wait on my hands but I'm beyond excited anyway. Hype!
jack....
Member
(04-04-2016, 06:49 PM)

Originally Posted by Hale-XF11

This review of The Gallery is sooooooooo hype.

killer app?

"While the first episode of this journey only lasted approximately 2 hours for me, by the end I was literally awe struck standing in the middle of my living room, mouth agape, desperately wishing for more."

I backed this Kickstarter back in 2013 when I first got my Rift DK1. So excited to finally be able to play it.
TheCrow
Member
(04-04-2016, 06:51 PM)
TheCrow's Avatar
Just came across a new AudioShield video. This game has quickly moved up on my list of games to play.
darkness_s
Member
(04-04-2016, 06:51 PM)
darkness_s's Avatar

Originally Posted by Hale-XF11

This review of The Gallery is sooooooooo hype.

killer app?

"While the first episode of this journey only lasted approximately 2 hours for me, by the end I was literally awe struck standing in the middle of my living room, mouth agape, desperately wishing for more."

It's probably the most polished game in the whole lineup right now, since it's been in development for longer.
Cartman86
Member
(04-04-2016, 06:51 PM)
Cartman86's Avatar
What's so hilarious and not at all unexpected given so much of the gaming communities aversion to change is that Oculus was so obsessed with saying, "see! You can play video games on this thing. Video game ass video games! It's not just an experience device. All the tired old shit you remember still works!" Meanwhile a bunch of devs saw the real path forward and forged it. Oculus needs Touch to support 360 degree room scale standard and market it as such or they are in big trouble. They can only get by on brand recognition for so long, and by so long I mean one more day.
Nzyme32
Member
(04-04-2016, 06:52 PM)
Nzyme32's Avatar

Originally Posted by Hale-XF11

This review of The Gallery is sooooooooo hype.

killer app?

"While the first episode of this journey only lasted approximately 2 hours for me, by the end I was literally awe struck standing in the middle of my living room, mouth agape, desperately wishing for more."

The Gallery is one of the longest in development VR games, and it has been genuinely innovating throughout, in particular with hand-tracking motion controls well before Vive was around. They were then the first to be invited to develop for the Vive. I'm sure that if any game is going to be doing interesting things in VR that others don't consider, it should be the Gallery.
BeEatNU
WORLDSTAAAAAAR
(04-04-2016, 06:53 PM)
BeEatNU's Avatar

Originally Posted by Syystole

"While the Oculus is a very strong VR headset, the Vive feels like it's in a league of its own comparatively"

ahhh I misread the first comment.
I thought it was implied something with HTC was bad. lol
Tain
Member
(04-04-2016, 06:53 PM)
Tain's Avatar

Originally Posted by Cartman86

What's so hilarious and not at all unexpected given so much of the gaming communities aversion to change is that Oculus was so obsessed with saying, "see! You can play video games on this thing. Video game ass video games! It's not just an experience device. All the tired old shit you remember still work!" Meanwhile a bunch of devs saw the real path forward and forged it. Oculus needs Touch to support 360 degree room scale standard and market it as such or they are in big trouble. They can only get by on brand recognition for so long, and by so long I mean one more day.

I feel like I've been following Oculus pretty closely and I never got that impression from them. I got a bit of PR gear-changing about how traditional gamepads could still deliver a great experience, but nothing to the degree of what you're suggesting. They've been hyping up the Touch, after all.
ThatsMytrunks
Member
(04-04-2016, 06:55 PM)
ThatsMytrunks's Avatar
20lb package? I think this might be it!


Paid via credit card, wave 1, charged thursday, no e-mail from HTC. Located in San Antonio TX.
kaskade
Member
(04-04-2016, 06:56 PM)
kaskade's Avatar

Originally Posted by Cartman86

What's so hilarious and not at all unexpected given so much of the gaming communities aversion to change is that Oculus was so obsessed with saying, "see! You can play video games on this thing. Video game ass video games! It's not just an experience device. All the tired old shit you remember still works!" Meanwhile a bunch of devs saw the real path forward and forged it. Oculus needs Touch to support 360 degree room scale standard and market it as such or they are in big trouble. They can only get by on brand recognition for so long, and by so long I mean one more day.

I think it's a little hurtful for VR that oculus didn't come with the touch during release. It seems to me like most games with the gamepad are just a very immersive head tracker or something. The Vive gives you presence in the world which, I'd imagine, is what makes it feel more real and less virtual. I don't want traditional experiences. I want Devs to give me the experience I don't even know that I want yet, like Job Simulator.
libertytoast
Junior Member
(04-04-2016, 06:56 PM)
libertytoast's Avatar

Originally Posted by ThatsMytrunks

20lb package? I think this might be it!

Paid via credit card, wave 1, charged thursday, no e-mail from HTC. Located in San Antonio TX.

Yup. Lots of people from TX in the reddit shipping thread are getting their tracking numbers. I'm just to the right of TX in Louisiana, so I'm hoping I hear something soon.
darkness_s
Member
(04-04-2016, 06:57 PM)
darkness_s's Avatar

Originally Posted by ThatsMytrunks

20lb package? I think this might be it!

Paid via credit card, wave 1, charged thursday, no e-mail from HTC. Located in San Antonio TX.

Yes, that's definitely it. You'll probably get an email from HTC within the next couple of hours.
newsguy
Member
(04-04-2016, 06:57 PM)
newsguy's Avatar

Originally Posted by ThatsMytrunks

20lb package?

Paid via credit card, wave 1, charged thursday, no e-mail from HTC. Located in San Antonio TX.

It's the B&H catalog. That's about 20lbs
Chairmanchuck
Member
(04-04-2016, 06:57 PM)
Chairmanchuck's Avatar

Originally Posted by Tain

I got a bit of PR gear-changing about how traditional gamepads could still deliver a great experience, but nothing to the degree of what you're suggesting. They've been hyping up the Touch, after all.

That was actually kinda sad to see. Palmer was really always talking how traditional controllers are not that good with VR content and they are trying a lot of things out. Thats how Touch came to be. Then when it was announced that Touch wont come out with the Oculus, it changed to "traditional controllers are really good with VR content".
Arulan
Member
(04-04-2016, 06:57 PM)
Arulan's Avatar

Originally Posted by ThatsMytrunks

20lb package? I think this might be it!

Paid via credit card, wave 1, charged thursday, no e-mail from HTC. Located in San Antonio TX.

I'm in San Antonio too. :(

And I can't sign up for Fed Ex delivery manager because I haven't lived here for more than 60 days yet...
Raticus79
Seek victory, not fairness
(04-04-2016, 06:58 PM)
Raticus79's Avatar

Originally Posted by Bunta

Does anyone know if you still get Job Simulator, Fantastic Contraption and Tilt Brush if you order after tomorrow?

I think they'll remain included. If they were going to be only part of preorders, they would have been more clear about it being a preorder bonus.
"Get these SteamVR titles FREE when you purchase Vive while supplies last".
http://store.steampowered.com/sale/vive

Originally Posted by TheCrow

Just came across a new AudioShield video. This game has quickly moved up on my list of games to play.

Heh, I'm getting a kick of out of how people tend to swat the bubbles to pop them. Still lots of room to crank up the difficulty on this. I imagine it'll start involuntarily looking like a dance as people try to match multiple curving streams and run into more challenging patterns, mixing up sides, etc.
Last edited by Raticus79; 04-04-2016 at 07:07 PM.
Cartman86
Member
(04-04-2016, 06:59 PM)
Cartman86's Avatar

Originally Posted by Tain

I feel like I've been following Oculus pretty closely and I never got that impression from them. I got a bit of PR gear-changing about how traditional gamepads could still deliver a great experience, but nothing to the degree of what you're suggesting. They've been hyping up the Touch, after all.

At the start they were totally pie in the sky and all for the sort of things the Vive is doing, but yeah they eventually pivoted. It's not just PR though they released a real product that is missing what makes VR actually special, and the part that is supposed to fix that (touch) may not even have room scale (360 degree turning at least). Maybe none of this was intentional, but it kind of doesn't matter. The gamepad is the symbol of flat screen games, and gamepad VR games play exactly like that. I know this is divisive, but from personal experience there is a major difference in the Oculus and Vive experiences. This isn't Xbox One Versus PS4.
Tain
Member
(04-04-2016, 07:01 PM)
Tain's Avatar

Originally Posted by Chairmanchuck

That was actually kinda sad to see. Palmer was really always talking how traditional controllers are not that good with VR content and they are trying a lot of things out. Thats how Touch came to be. Then when it was announced that Touch wont come out with the Oculus, it changed to "traditional controllers are really good with VR content".

I said it in another thread, but I don't think it bothered me as much because I never really agreed with Palmer's early stance on gamepads. At least, I always felt and still do feel there's an obvious place for traditionally-controlled games in VR, regardless of how exciting the possibilities of the new motion controllers are.

Originally Posted by Cartman86

The gamepad is the symbol of flat screen games, and gamepad VR games play exactly like that. I know this is divisive, but from personal experience there is a major difference in the Oculus and Vive experiences. This isn't Xbox One Versus PS4.

I agree that the differences in gamepad versus motion-based are huge, but I think you're downplaying the value of a gamepad for third-person games, space sims, etc. There are all these kinds of games that are obviously more traditional yet still hugely benefit from VR, and I'd hate to see them totally overlooked due to the motion-based games.
Last edited by Tain; 04-04-2016 at 07:09 PM.
Compsiox
Member
(04-04-2016, 07:02 PM)
Compsiox's Avatar
I have all the free games except Job Simulator. I only have the demo. Do we know if the games will just be free to download like the Oculus exclusives on Home? If not will I be able to get the full Job Simulator for free as a Vive Pre owner?
Bunta
Fujiwara Tofu Shop
(04-04-2016, 07:05 PM)
Bunta's Avatar

Originally Posted by Raticus79

I think they'll remain included. If they were going to be only part of preorders, they would have been more clear about it being a preorder bonus.
"Get these SteamVR titles FREE when you purchase Vive while supplies last".
http://store.steampowered.com/sale/vive

Yeah, that makes sense.
Yoritomo
Member
(04-04-2016, 07:11 PM)
And just confirmed that Mine is in Indiana and arriving at my doorstep on the 6th.

(Signed up for Fedex Delivery manager then checked pending deliveries to my address.)
Raticus79
Seek victory, not fairness
(04-04-2016, 07:11 PM)
Raticus79's Avatar
RIP old title, we barely knew ye
Chairmanchuck
Member
(04-04-2016, 07:13 PM)
Chairmanchuck's Avatar

Originally Posted by Tain

I said it in another thread, but I don't think it bothered me as much because I never really agreed with Palmer's early stance on gamepads. At least, I always felt and still do feel there's an obvious place for traditionally-controlled games in VR, regardless of how exciting the possibilities of the new motion controllers are.

I would agree, that the Gamepad is great for some games. I would not disagree with you here.

Some things on the Oculus Home store scream "Touch controls" though like the sword swing in Dreadhalls and especially the VR-Tennis. When I read about how great that Tennis game for the Vive plays, I wouldnt even want to buy a Tennis game, that dont have Touch-controls.
Onemic
Member
(04-04-2016, 07:13 PM)
Onemic's Avatar
New title is better
TheCrow
Member
(04-04-2016, 07:14 PM)
TheCrow's Avatar

Originally Posted by Yoritomo

And just confirmed that Mine is in Indiana and arriving at my doorstep on the 6th.

(Signed up for Fedex Delivery manager then checked pending deliveries to my address.)

Hmm, that's close enough to Illinois to make me feel confident that I'll get it Wednesday. I'm ready!
Arulan
Member
(04-04-2016, 07:15 PM)
Arulan's Avatar
YYYYEEEEEEESSSS!!

I called Fed Ex, because I couldn't sign up for the delivery manager. And she searched incoming packages destined for my address. I have a ~20lb package, that was just shipped today, scheduled for the 6th!
jabberwocker
Banned
(04-04-2016, 07:18 PM)

Originally Posted by Arulan

YYYYEEEEEEESSSS!!

I called Fed Ex, because I couldn't sign up for the delivery manager. And she searched incoming packages destined for my address. I have a ~20lb package, that was just shipped today, scheduled for the 6th!

You live where?
Arulan
Member
(04-04-2016, 07:18 PM)
Arulan's Avatar

Originally Posted by jabberwocker

You live where?

San Antonio, TX.
Kevin
Member
(04-04-2016, 07:18 PM)
Kevin's Avatar
Excited to hear some thoughts from you guys when your vives come in. Also hoping to see some good hardware comparisons between Vive and Rift in terms of headset quality. :)
Peltz
Member
(04-04-2016, 07:19 PM)
Peltz's Avatar
Thinking about ditching my PSVR order and building a baller PC and grabbing a vive to go with it. So tempting....
Compsiox
Member
(04-04-2016, 07:21 PM)
Compsiox's Avatar
Why the subtitle change?

Thread Tools