• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Berordn
Member
(05-17-2017, 07:10 PM)
Berordn's Avatar

Originally Posted by LucidMomentum

If this game had Fever mode I would've hailed it as the best Puyo game ever.

But as it is, it's still amazing. Big Bang is solid enough.

Even then it's still missing a lot of the anniversary game modes. I'm not lamenting the loss of Spinner or anything, but Ice Blocks, Mega Puyo, Excavation and Sun would've been nice to have with equivalent Tetris modes.

Outside of the diabolically evil pentaminoes, there's not a heck of a lot of variety in Tetris which is kind of weird when Party mode actually brings some of those elements back for Puyo.

But that's really just me nitpicking. I want them to just release more Puyo here, because I'll buy it.
Sixfortyfive
He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
(05-18-2017, 04:00 AM)
Sixfortyfive's Avatar
Is there an unlock code for the PS4 version?

Would like to make this system tournament-ready without having to play through Adventure mode again right now.
Mega Man's Electric Sheep
Member
(05-18-2017, 04:20 AM)
Mega Man's Electric Sheep's Avatar
The part with "Creeper" was hilarious. "I want you to scream my name when you're with me!" lol I have the japanese PS4 version but I had no idea the story I was skipping was so funny.
S2
Junior Member
(05-18-2017, 01:57 PM)
S2's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sixfortyfive

Is there an unlock code for the PS4 version?

Would like to make this system tournament-ready without having to play through Adventure mode again right now.

Nobody knows what the unlock code for the English PS4 version is unfortunately. Maybe you could try using PS+ cloud saves to copy over completed save files.
gaiages
Member
(05-18-2017, 02:23 PM)
gaiages's Avatar
Man online is dead for the PS4 version. Well, maybe not completely dead, but all I ever match up with are Japanese/Asian players who should NOT be rank 2000. I just want the online trophies :(

I've resorted to some ultra cheesy methods to try to get wins (I don't want to rank up, just get the 10 wins for the trophy lol)... I'm surprised the game lets you match with people on your Friend List in Puzzle League >.> Or maybe I'll get matched up with a... normal player eventually :p

Why do I feel like explaining my online cheese will get me in trouble >.>
ZombiePlatypus
Member
(05-19-2017, 11:13 PM)
ZombiePlatypus's Avatar
Just beat the story mode. Leave it to Satan to save the day lmao

Does the game reward the player with any sort an unlockable for three-starring all the story events or is it just bragging rights?
Berordn
Member
(05-19-2017, 11:15 PM)
Berordn's Avatar

Originally Posted by ZombiePlatypus

Just beat the story mode. Leave it to Satan to save the day lmao

Does the game reward the player with any sort an unlockable for three-starring all the story events or is it just bragging rights?

There's a little congratulations message on getting 100%, but since the extra chapters put you past that it's just for your own sense of achievement.
desmax
Member
(05-19-2017, 11:16 PM)
desmax's Avatar

Originally Posted by gaiages

Man online is dead for the PS4 version. Well, maybe not completely dead, but all I ever match up with are Japanese/Asian players who should NOT be rank 2000. I just want the online trophies :(

I've resorted to some ultra cheesy methods to try to get wins (I don't want to rank up, just get the 10 wins for the trophy lol)... I'm surprised the game lets you match with people on your Friend List in Puzzle League >.> Or maybe I'll get matched up with a... normal player eventually :p

Why do I feel like explaining my online cheese will get me in trouble >.>

I have ps4 version. Wanna try boosting?
(We both try to search for matches and hope we hit each other)
ZombiePlatypus
Member
(05-19-2017, 11:39 PM)
ZombiePlatypus's Avatar

Originally Posted by Berordn

There's a little congratulations message on getting 100%, but since the extra chapters put you past that it's just for your own sense of achievement.

Wait extra chapters?? How do you get those?
Zonic
Gives all the fucks
(05-19-2017, 11:41 PM)
Zonic's Avatar

Originally Posted by ZombiePlatypus

Wait extra chapters?? How do you get those?

They should automatically unlock when you beat 7-10. They were originally DLC in the Japanese versions.
Stopdoor
Member
(05-19-2017, 11:43 PM)
Stopdoor's Avatar
Is it just me or is Satan's alternate voice his actual voice from story mode? His "main" voice seems way more aggressive, probably a goof?
Zonic
Gives all the fucks
(05-19-2017, 11:45 PM)
Zonic's Avatar

Originally Posted by Stopdoor

Is it just me or is Satan's alternate voice his actual voice from story mode? His "main" voice seems way more aggressive, probably a goof?

Yeah, not sure why his alt voice is the "main" one since it's used in Story. Maybe a glitch or something.
ZombiePlatypus
Member
(05-20-2017, 12:57 AM)
ZombiePlatypus's Avatar

Originally Posted by Zonic

They should automatically unlock when you beat 7-10. They were originally DLC in the Japanese versions.

Ah, just saw it show up.

Man, they've really packed a lot of content into this game, and even in it's vanilla form, it's so repayable. What an awesome value. PuyoTetris is my favorite thing Sega's done in a long time.
tengiants
Member
(05-20-2017, 01:03 AM)
tengiants's Avatar
Okay I was annoyed by the aesthetic and voice acting initially, mostly the pipi and gugus.. but I'm over it and this game is real good. I've been putting some Puyo practicing in and something finally clicked and I can consistently build over 8 link chains.. I still
have so much more to practice though.

Played some matches online after finishing up the story mode and actually won playing Puyo so I'm feeling good about this now. What a good game.
Fireblend
No Member
(05-20-2017, 01:52 AM)
Fireblend's Avatar

Originally Posted by tengiants

Okay I was annoyed by the aesthetic and voice acting initially, mostly the pipi and gugus.. but I'm over it and this game is real good. I've been putting some Puyo practicing in and something finally clicked and I can consistently build over 8 link chains.. I still
have so much more to practice though.

Played some matches online after finishing up the story mode and actually won playing Puyo so I'm feeling good about this now. What a good game.

Welcome to the light.
molnizzle
Member
(05-20-2017, 06:00 AM)
molnizzle's Avatar

Originally Posted by tengiants

Okay I was annoyed by the aesthetic and voice acting initially, mostly the pipi and gugus.. but I'm over it and this game is real good. I've been putting some Puyo practicing in and something finally clicked and I can consistently build over 8 link chains.. I still
have so much more to practice though.

Played some matches online after finishing up the story mode and actually won playing Puyo so I'm feeling good about this now. What a good game.

Man, I'm jealous. I'm still struggling hard with Puyo. Can't make it past the 4th world of the campaign. I've watched the tutorial vids but I just can't think fast enough against the CPU to try and do the setups.

There really should be difficulty settings. So frustrating.
catfish
I have a foreskin yet I do not have AIDS
(05-20-2017, 06:05 AM)
catfish's Avatar
this game is fucking hard. but my wife loves it and we suck pretty equally. 4 link chains is the shit of miracles, as is surviving the garbage produced by a 4 chain attack
zulux21
Member
(05-20-2017, 07:06 AM)
zulux21's Avatar
who is the hardest CPU unlocked from the start?
Spukc
Member
(05-20-2017, 07:10 AM)
Spukc's Avatar

Originally Posted by catfish

this game is fucking hard. but my wife loves it and we suck pretty equally. 4 link chains is the shit of miracles, as is surviving the garbage produced by a 4 chain attack

Just stack 2 towers of puyo try to somehow match colors so three match up. Then kill the bottom puyo and hope for the best. Scrub tactics.

BUT i do wreck most of my friends that way 😍😍
tengiants
Member
(05-20-2017, 01:51 PM)
tengiants's Avatar

Originally Posted by molnizzle

Man, I'm jealous. I'm still struggling hard with Puyo. Can't make it past the 4th world of the campaign. I've watched the tutorial vids but I just can't think fast enough against the CPU to try and do the setups.

There really should be difficulty settings. So frustrating.

The in game lessons are helpful but I watched the "developing a chain sense" video linked in the OP quite a few times and I just kept practicing in endless Puyo mode. What's good about the video in the OP is that rather than requiring you speed build certain patterns like the lessons require, it will teach a good way on how to do ad hoc chains that don't require a clean board.
bytesized
Member
(05-21-2017, 12:26 AM)
bytesized's Avatar
Beat the first 7 chapters! That was fun!
Hero of Legend
Member
(05-22-2017, 03:58 AM)
Hero of Legend's Avatar
AT LAST! My review is complete!

https://goldmetalsonic.wordpress.com...switch-review/

Please let me know what you guys think!
Sixfortyfive
He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
(05-22-2017, 04:05 AM)
Sixfortyfive's Avatar

Originally Posted by zulux21

who is the hardest CPU unlocked from the start?

Dunno about the start, but I'm pretty sure that Ex, Ecolo, and Dark Prince are overall the most difficult, in that order.
Cosmo Clock 21
Member
(05-22-2017, 04:31 AM)
Cosmo Clock 21's Avatar

Originally Posted by Hero of Legend

AT LAST! My review is complete!

https://goldmetalsonic.wordpress.com...switch-review/

Please let me know what you guys think!

You need an editor
Hero of Legend
Member
(05-22-2017, 04:32 AM)
Hero of Legend's Avatar

Originally Posted by Cosmo Clock 21

You need an editor

I am just one person. Any specifics?
Professor Lexicovermis
Member
(05-22-2017, 04:34 AM)
Professor Lexicovermis's Avatar

Originally Posted by Zonic

Yeah, not sure why his alt voice is the "main" one since it's used in Story. Maybe a glitch or something.

I THINK it's intentional; I think his "main" voice is him attempting to sound intimidating during battle, while his "alt" is just his normal voice. If you listen during one of his scenes, he starts threatening Tee in his gruffer "main" voice when he gets angry.
Haines
Member
(05-22-2017, 04:39 AM)
Haines's Avatar
Me and the wife are playing the demo in this like crazy last couple days.

We are playing swap mp.

What do we get for buying the full version in terms of mp?

I feel like we can just get our fix off the demo?


Also. I remember the GB going crazy for this game and people importing it and I don't really get why? It seems pretty basic. Tetris and puyo.
Professor Lexicovermis
Member
(05-22-2017, 04:54 AM)
Professor Lexicovermis's Avatar

Originally Posted by Haines

Me and the wife are playing the demo in this like crazy last couple days.

We are playing swap mp.

What do we get for buying the full version in terms of mp?

I feel like we can just get our fix off the demo?

Multiplayer wise, you get basic Versus and Swap modes, which are in the Demo, Party mode, which is a score attack mode with items mixed in and unique drop patterns for each character, Fusion, which is Puyo and Tetris in the same field, and Big Bang, which has both players attempting to finish more pre-fabricated combos than their opponent. You can also customize matches better and not be forced back to the menu after every win.

You also get more characters, backgrounds, music, and Puyo/Tetrimino skins, plus a rather lengthy single-player Story mode.
Haines
Member
(05-22-2017, 05:01 AM)
Haines's Avatar
Huh. I will certainly pick up the game when it goes on sale as I do with most games but I have to question if this demo was made right.

Feels like we could just keep playing it the way we like without paying.
Professor Lexicovermis
Member
(05-22-2017, 05:02 AM)
Professor Lexicovermis's Avatar

Originally Posted by Haines

Huh. I will certainly pick up the game when it goes on sale as I do with most games but I have to question if this demo was made right.

Feels like we could just keep playing it the way we like without paying.

It feels like a "goodwill demo" to me; play your fill, and if you like it enough, flip Sega some money and get additional content. If you're content with the demo content, don't sweat it!
Stopdoor
Member
(05-22-2017, 05:02 AM)
Stopdoor's Avatar

Originally Posted by Haines

Huh. I will certainly pick up the game when it goes on sale as I do with most games but I have to question if this demo was made right.

Feels like we could just keep playing it the way we like without paying.

The demo is pretty annoying with kicking you out of the game after just one round, that's a limiting factor.
Haines
Member
(05-22-2017, 05:09 AM)
Haines's Avatar

Originally Posted by Stopdoor

The demo is pretty annoying with kicking you out of the game after just one round, that's a limiting factor.

Idk. Doesn't seem to bother us. Gives us that 30 seconds to catch our breath before jumping back in.

Anyways. Got my answer. That is guys.

I will assuredly buy it the day it gets a nice discount.

Playing table top mode on the weekend vs my brother and mother in separate games took us back to the old OG game boy link cable days of tetris
Cosmo Clock 21
Member
(05-22-2017, 05:12 AM)
Cosmo Clock 21's Avatar

Originally Posted by Hero of Legend

I am just one person. Any specifics?

Factual errors like calling Big Bang mode Fever or misspelling Carbuncle's name, bad grammar like sentence fragments and overruns, and a lot of syntactical mistakes like

You get rid of garbage by matching 4 same-colored Puyos or clearing a full horizontal line in Tetris.

where you miss what's actually important (matching four or more puyos of the same color also erases directly adjacent garbage puyos)

There's other stuff that isn't technically incorrect, but stylistically makes the writing look unprofessional. Using abbreviations like "fav" or dancing around spoilers.

There's also other qualities which make the review flow poorly, like only going over the game modes more than halfway through the review
Hero of Legend
Member
(05-22-2017, 05:18 AM)
Hero of Legend's Avatar

Originally Posted by Cosmo Clock 21

Factual errors like calling Big Bang mode Fever or misspelling Carbuncle's name, bad grammar like sentence fragments and overruns, and a lot of syntactical mistakes like

where you miss what's actually important (matching four or more puyos of the same color also erases directly adjacent garbage puyos)

There's other stuff that isn't technically incorrect, but stylistically makes the writing look unprofessional. Using abbreviations like "fav" or dancing around spoilers.

There's also other qualities which make the review flow poorly, like only going over the game modes more than halfway through the review

Yeah, I still have a lot of stuff to figure out about reviews. Thanks for the pointers, I'll look into fixing it up in a few hours (it's 12:17 AM here :P).
BassForever
Member
(05-23-2017, 12:28 AM)
BassForever's Avatar
How do you get a good score in fusion mode? I watched deep silver's video but my brain doesn't get it.

Edit: got it, gotta wait for a string of tetris after setting up a lot of like color puyos and go crazy clearing both to get a big cross chain
Last edited by BassForever; 05-23-2017 at 12:48 AM.
PSqueak
Member
(05-23-2017, 12:51 AM)
PSqueak's Avatar
Question, cause the OT OP doesn't make it completely clear.

This has local 4 player pure tetris multiplayer, right?

I like puyo-like games, but frankly im interested in buying this for tetris multi with friends.
Fireblend
No Member
(05-23-2017, 03:37 AM)
Fireblend's Avatar

Originally Posted by PSqueak

Question, cause the OT OP doesn't make it completely clear.

This has local 4 player pure tetris multiplayer, right?

I like puyo-like games, but frankly im interested in buying this for tetris multi with friends.

Yes :)
UCBooties
Member
(05-23-2017, 03:43 AM)
UCBooties's Avatar
So is there really no true singe player mode? You have to play against at least 1 AI opponent in every game mode?

Cuz, damn, I am getting my ass handed to me...

I just want to play some puyo and tetris man...
BassForever
Member
(05-23-2017, 03:48 AM)
BassForever's Avatar

Originally Posted by UCBooties

So is there really no true singe player mode? You have to play against at least 1 AI opponent in every game mode?

Cuz, damn, I am getting my ass handed to me...

I just want to play some puyo and tetris man...

Just do endless tetris or endless puyo, they're in the challenge section of solo arcade. Just make sure to turn on endless for tetris so the game doesn't end at 150 lines cleared.

Also I finished the main story, only missing the 3* from the final level since I didn't feel like spending 20 minutes to get some optimal set up where I get a crazy chain.
Last edited by BassForever; 05-23-2017 at 03:52 AM.
Vinnk
Member
(05-23-2017, 03:52 AM)
Vinnk's Avatar
This might be a stupid question but I still don't totally get Big Bang mode. I know I need to get chains and then some comets fly around.

1. Am I supposed to press any buttons when the big bang stuff happens or just watch it play out?

2. What is the best way to practice the combo chains on puyo puyo? (the Tetris ones are easy). I can to the tall tower ones easily but some of the others I can only get about half cleared.

I hope those questions made sense...
Cosmo Clock 21
Member
(05-23-2017, 03:57 AM)
Cosmo Clock 21's Avatar

Originally Posted by Vinnk

This might be a stupid question but I still don't totally get Big Bang mode. I know I need to get chains and then some comets fly around.

1. Am I supposed to press any buttons when the big bang stuff happens or just watch it play out?

2. What is the best way to practice the combo chains on puyo puyo? (the Tetris ones are easy). I can to the tall tower ones easily but some of the others I can only get about half cleared.

I hope those questions made sense...

1. no it's just an animation

2. each chain prefab has exactly one intended solution, so it's up to you to figure out where the chain trigger is (RNG may not give you the color that sets off the trigger for a while). You've also got to be mindful of where you place extra puyo as well - they may pop critical pieces needed to make the chain work later.
Vinnk
Member
(05-23-2017, 03:59 AM)
Vinnk's Avatar

Originally Posted by Cosmo Clock 21

1. no it's just an animation

2. each chain prefab has exactly one intended solution, so it's up to you to figure out where the chain trigger is (RNG may not give you the color that sets off the trigger for a while). You've also got to be mindful of where you place extra puyo as well - they may pop critical pieces needed to make the chain work later.

Thank you. I guess I just need to keep practicing. Whenever a Big Bang match comes up I just get slaughtered.
Cosmo Clock 21
Member
(05-23-2017, 04:07 AM)
Cosmo Clock 21's Avatar

Originally Posted by Vinnk

Thank you. I guess I just need to keep practicing. Whenever a Big Bang match comes up I just get slaughtered.

If it helps most/all of the harder Big Bang chains are just extensions of easier ones you may have encountered. Try finding familiar parts of the chain and work your way backwards from there. You can practice outside of Big Bang using the Endless Fever challenge mode.

Also the length of chain you get is always your prior actual chain+1 (or +2 if you get an all clear), so it is in your favor to correctly solve the board.
BassForever
Member
(05-23-2017, 04:10 AM)
BassForever's Avatar

Originally Posted by Cosmo Clock 21

1. no it's just an animation

2. each chain prefab has exactly one intended solution, so it's up to you to figure out where the chain trigger is (RNG may not give you the color that sets off the trigger for a while). You've also got to be mindful of where you place extra puyo as well - they may pop critical pieces needed to make the chain work later.

So it is rng I couldn't tell if I was just bad since I'd frequently get multiple pieces to place before setting off the big chain and would always get stuck with an awkward puyo somewhere.
mstevens
Member
(05-23-2017, 04:50 AM)
mstevens's Avatar
Is there a list somewhere of how good each cpu is? I know that Amitie is the easiest, but I'd like to progressively face harder and harder cpu as I get better.
Professor Lexicovermis
Member
(05-23-2017, 06:52 AM)
Professor Lexicovermis's Avatar

Originally Posted by mstevens

Is there a list somewhere of how good each cpu is? I know that Amitie is the easiest, but I'd like to progressively face harder and harder cpu as I get better.

Unfortunately, all I know is Amitie is the weakest and Ex is the strongest. Either Ecolo or Dark Prince is second strongest, I honestly can't tell...
RomanceDawn
Member
(05-23-2017, 06:56 AM)
RomanceDawn's Avatar
Can I do those instant drops with Puyos like I do with Tetrominos? I thought the computer was showing me how to do it but when I press up nothing happens and I can't find anything in the options menu. Any help?
Darmik
Member
(05-23-2017, 07:10 AM)
Darmik's Avatar
I'm getting absolutely slaughtered in that 5-9 Tetris vs Tetris battle in Adventure mode. I was making decent progress until now. Even getting an All Clear at the start failed.

I've read that you need to get like 3-4 Tetrises in a row to put him down but I don't think I'm anywhere close to being that good haha
jariw
Member
(05-23-2017, 07:38 AM)
jariw's Avatar

Originally Posted by RomanceDawn

Can I do those instant drops with Puyos like I do with Tetrominos? I thought the computer was showing me how to do it but when I press up nothing happens and I can't find anything in the options menu. Any help?

I think that's only possible in Swap mode.
Earthpainting
Knows which side
the bread is buttered on.
(05-23-2017, 07:47 AM)
Earthpainting's Avatar
I picked this up over the weekend, and I've been enjoying it. I am struggling a bit with Puyo Puyo though. I did the tutorials and grasp the concepts, but I don't know how to actually put it into practice. The tutorial modes give like the perfect pieces for the very type of stack it wanted to show off. When I'm in a game, I get all sorts of Puyo colour combinations I don't know how to deal with. Currently I try to make a chain on one end of the board, and have a garbage pile on the other side. Maybe it's something that I'll get a better grasp on over time.

Thread Tools