• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Revelations is headed to 360, PS3, PC and WiiU May 21st, 2013

Cels

Don't know if this has been posted yet, but this is the artwork for it on xbox.com

boxartlg.jpg

I miss the way Jill looked in REmake.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
That monster was in Raid, though. Remember
Ghost Ship
?

I must have been fortune or my memory is foggy as I don't. Probably just having bad memory on it, though; Given I haven't played it in some time in part as my 3DS suffered an unfortunate fate. Then I wonder why Capcom is treating it as a new monster unless they changed something drastically about it?

Neiteio

I must have been fortune or my memory is foggy, as I don't, given I haven't played it in some time in part as my 3DS suffered an unfortunate fate. Then I wonder why Capcom is treating it as a new monster unless they changed something drastically about it.
Well, it appears as though it's been recolored, maybe giving it new properties. In Raid, it really only appeared once, if I recall correctly, as the
final boss of the true exit on Ghost Ship
. Which admittedly, was in the area depicted in those screenshots, on the deck of the ship, so it might not be new. On the other hand, it might be a watered-down "grunt" version of it that appears more frequently. *shrugs*

Is the "Wall Blister" (mentioned in the news release) the official name of the massive tank-like monster they're adding to the game?

bndadm

Didn't see it anywhere else, but wanted to chime in that today ResidentEvil.net site for Revelations is now including in-game unlocks using a "Present Codes".

Per the site: "Present Codes will be published in various places such as websites, in magazines, and in shops."

They have a code up today for everyone. I unlocked a M92f Slot4 Lv.1 gun. Not having played the 3DS I don't know how exciting that is, but I think it's neat.

Ridley327

Didn't see it anywhere else, but wanted to chime in that today ResidentEvil.net site for Revelations is now including in-game unlocks using a "Present Codes".

Per the site: "Present Codes will be published in various places such as websites, in magazines, and in shops."

They have a code up today for everyone. I unlocked a M92f Slot4 Lv.1 gun. Not having played the 3DS I don't know how exciting that is, but I think it's neat.

It's a pretty good handgun to start out with, especially with 4 slots. Don't know how long it'll be useful for, though, as you'll probably be getting better loot shortly after starting Raid Mode.

AkuMifune

Banned
Only in videogames can a busty secret agent have her cleavage on full display while running from a zombie version of herself.

I know it's minor in the scheme of things, but it's so goddamn dumb it drives me nuts. You're gonna leave your jacket zipped open down to your bellybutton while fighting slimy undead creatures because....? C'mon Japan, at least get into last century.

Neiteio

I know it's minor in the scheme of things, but it's so goddamn dumb it drives me nuts. You're gonna leave your jacket zipped open down to your bellybutton while fighting slimy undead creatures because....? C'mon Japan, at least get into last century.
Hey, maybe it helps her breathe better, and since there are no other humans around to make her feel shameful for showing so much skin... WHY NOT. :p

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
To anyone that has played both Raid mode in Revelations and Mercenaries mode in RE5/RE6, what exactly are the differences between the two?

1)Does Raid mode have those glass timers that you go around busting like in Mercs?

2)Is there a combo timer?

3)Can you pull off cool melee moves?

4)Finally which one is more fun?

Riposte

To anyone that has played both Raid mode in Revelations and Mercenaries mode in RE5/RE6, what exactly are the differences between the two?

1)Does Raid mode have those glass timers that you go around busting like in Mercs?

1-2) No. Time doesn't really work that way at all and you basically are re-playing parts of the campaign with new enemy layouts and sub-types (smaller, larger, faster, etc).

3) Resident Evil: Revelations doesn't have much in the way of melee. There are knife attacks and there is a single move you can charge up against stunned enemies.

4) The Mercenaries is way more fun, if only because it is more of a "pure" action game. Raid mode is rather unbalanced thanks to the progression system (too easy) and multiplayer can have you teaming up with players who can sleep-walk through a level. On the other hand, you may like the loot system. (I don't know if the new version will fix this or not.)

Neiteio

Riposte didn't do Raid justice. It's a ton of fun. No time limit, but co-op-style missions through full-blown start-to-finish levels -- 20 levels, in fact, across three difficulties each, with 10+ characters, leveling up, customizable weapons, and so on.

And then there's the 21st level, Ghost Ship, which gives you the ENTIRE cruise ship, with multiple exits and multiple paths to the true exit, and every single enemy is on the ship, and go as high as lv. 50. It's brutal by the end, and trying to figure out which keys to pursue, which locked doors to take, etc, to reach the true exit without dying is FANTASTIC.

You can play solo, as well.

And the role-playing aspect in Raid is very addictive and well-done. As I said in another thread:

You start at lv. 1. You level up to lv. 50. Your enemies range from lv. 1 to lv. 50, as well. And in Raid, there are other twists like tiny versions of enemies that are super-fast (hilariously terrifying, in the case of the chainsaw monster), or supersized versions of enemies that are slow but tremendously strong and resilient.

Where the weapons are concerned... You have a variety of handguns, shotguns, machine guns, magnums and rifles. Each has a level -- the higher the level, the stronger the weapon, but you must match or exceed the level in order to equip. Weapons also have a randomized number of slots -- I think the max is like eight or 10. Each slot can house a "part," with the best parts being the "illegal custom parts" squirreled away in optional corners of the levels.

Parts can increase firing speed, hitting power, accuracy, ammo capacity, penetration (for striking multiple foes in one shot), and so on. There are even ones that increase your shots in power the closer/farther you are to an enemy, or that scale in power based on other factors. Some even increase or decrease the target's aggression once shot.

Naturally, the more slots your weapon has, the more ways you can power it up. This makes the pursuit of high-level, high-slot loot in the game VERY addictive, and adds to your incentive to level up, and complete levels on higher difficulties. You also unlock characters as you level up, which you can view in great detail in Raid's model viewer.

There are also other weapons, like decoy bombs that lure away enemies before exploding, and underwater bombs you can use, well, underwater. (And swimming controls are superior here to what they were in RE6, and I say that as someone who otherwise loved the mechanics in that game.)

And remember, there's no time limit in Raid. Unlike Mercs, you don't have the clock breathing down your back. Don't get me wrong, I -love- Mercs, but Raid is definitely a nice change of pace. Twenty-one levels, three difficulty levels, 10 characters (now 12 with HUNK and Rachel, and who knows what else).

And Ghost Ship is INCREDIBLE. With the heart-thumping music, and the HUGE challenge, it's a freaking adventure in itself. A Ghost Ship run can take a solid hour. No saving, no starting over, just BRACE YOURSELF.

I read somewhere that female special forces actually do that to let water into the wetsuit for lubrication. It helps facilitate movement, supposedly. Don't know if it's true.

Mr.Fresh

RE6 isn't bad. You just want RE4 II.

That right there couple with the fact that no one seemed to want to learn the dodge / melee mechanics is probably why people unfairly judged RE6.

They picked it up and tried playing RE4 again.

So much right in these two posts. They need to be stickies at the top of every RE6 thread.

On topic though. Has there been any news of a download version yet? And that Xbox box art is terrible. But the game is great so ill forgive them if that's it.

Anteo

1-2) No. Time doesn't really work that way at all and you basically are re-playing parts of the campaign with new enemy layouts and sub-types (smaller, larger, faster, etc).

3) Resident Evil: Revelations doesn't have much in the way of melee. There are knife attacks and there is a single move you can charge up against stunned enemies.

4) The Mercenaries is way more fun, if only because it is more of a "pure" action game. Raid mode is rather unbalanced thanks to the progression system (too easy) and multiplayer can have you teaming up with players who can sleep-walk through a level. On the other hand, you may like the loot system. (I don't know if the new version will fix this or not.)

AS always fun is relative. I had much more fun with Raid mode than with mercenaries and jusb because the reasons you said, like the progression system, the fact that you can equip any weapon and upgrade it, the little missions (Kill X of that, find a Ooze with a name and kill it) etc.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Riposte didn't do Raid justice. It's a ton of fun. No time limit, but co-op-style missions through full-blown start-to-finish levels -- 20 levels, in fact, across three difficulties each, with 10+ characters, leveling up, customizable weapons, and so on.

And then there's the 21st level, Ghost Ship, which gives you the ENTIRE cruise ship, with multiple exits and multiple paths to the true exit, and every single enemy is on the ship, and go as high as lv. 50. It's brutal by the end, and trying to figure out which keys to pursue, which locked doors to take, etc, to reach the true exit without dying is FANTASTIC.

You can play solo, as well.

And the role-playing aspect in Raid is very addictive and well-done. As I said in another thread:

You start at lv. 1. You level up to lv. 50. Your enemies range from lv. 1 to lv. 50, as well. And in Raid, there are other twists like tiny versions of enemies that are super-fast (hilariously terrifying, in the case of the chainsaw monster), or supersized versions of enemies that are slow but tremendously strong and resilient.

Where the weapons are concerned... You have a variety of handguns, shotguns, machine guns, magnums and rifles. Each has a level -- the higher the level, the stronger the weapon, but you must match or exceed the level in order to equip. Weapons also have a randomized number of slots -- I think the max is like eight or 10. Each slot can house a "part," with the best parts being the "illegal custom parts" squirreled away in optional corners of the levels.

Parts can increase firing speed, hitting power, accuracy, ammo capacity, penetration (for striking multiple foes in one shot), and so on. There are even ones that increase your shots in power the closer/farther you are to an enemy, or that scale in power based on other factors. Some even increase or decrease the target's aggression once shot.

Naturally, the more slots your weapon has, the more ways you can power it up. This makes the pursuit of high-level, high-slot loot in the game VERY addictive, and adds to your incentive to level up, and complete levels on higher difficulties. You also unlock characters as you level up, which you can view in great detail in Raid's model viewer.

There are also other weapons, like decoy bombs that lure away enemies before exploding, and underwater bombs you can use, well, underwater. (And swimming controls are superior here to what they were in RE6, and I say that as someone who otherwise loved the mechanics in that game.)

And remember, there's no time limit in Raid. Unlike Mercs, you don't have the clock breathing down your back. Don't get me wrong, I -love- Mercs, but Raid is definitely a nice change of pace. Twenty-one levels, three difficulty levels, 10 characters (now 12 with HUNK and Rachel, and who knows what else).

And Ghost Ship is INCREDIBLE. With the heart-thumping music, and the HUGE challenge, it's a freaking adventure in itself. A Ghost Ship run can take a solid hour. No saving, no starting over, just BRACE YOURSELF.

Daaaaaaayum! That sounds absolutely BONKERS! Thanks for the detailed explanation Neitio. You got me pumped to play it once it comes out on PC.

Gonna be hard to top Mercs for me personally though, cuz I'm the biggest Mercs whore in this whole forum.

I'd donate blood and possibly a kidney to the guys responsible for RE5 Mercs. I'd sell my ass on a street corner for just another "hit" of Mercs. Thinking of getting a "Mercs4Lyfe" tattoo right across my chest.

4. Raid
Easily.
I ran through all the maps way more times than Mercenaries maps and they get old much less quickly.
Ghost Ship map never gets old period, so many routes, great length and a good challenge.
characters also don't get old like they do in Mercenaries because you make your own load out.

isamu

4. Raid
Easily.
I ran through all the maps way more times than Mercenaries maps and they get old much less quickly.
Ghost Ship map never gets old period, so many routes, great length and a good challenge.
characters also don't get old like they do in Mercenaries because you make your own load out.
well...we'll see

Neff

Mercs is a fast-paced action high-score game against the clock.

Raid Mode is basically an online co-op RPG. You grind for higher levels enabling you to equip better weapons, and farm increasingly-tougher enemies/stages for weapon upgrades. You'll get a score for your performance, but it's much more of a methodical, patient experience. And it's ridiculously addictive.

Hell with Mercs, I want Raid Mode to get its own game. 4 player online party, Spencer Mansion, RPD, Rockfort Island, the Plagas village, unlockable weapons & characters... give me that shit, Capcom.

That right there couple with the fact that no one seemed to want to learn the dodge / melee mechanics is probably why people unfairly judged RE6.

They picked it up and tried playing RE4 again.

What a nice way to ignore every other criticism of RE6 that had nothing to do with the dodge or melee mechanics.

You say that like wanting RE4-2 is a bad thing.

RE4 is the best game ever made. I want a thousand more that play just like it.

and yet when asked what's the problem with current gen gaming, most fans will cite the near endless amount of call of duty games that play exactly alike.

too much of a good thing exists, even for good games. at some point the formula needs to be broken and new things tried.

Spazznid

You say that like wanting RE4-2 is a bad thing.

RE4 is the best game ever made. I want a thousand more that play just like it.

So do I, but that isn't to say I didn't also want RE6. I'd also love a sequel with a better story and the same controls.

People want more, but they can also want more options.

xandaca

It's annoying the Wii U version of the game won't have pointer controls. I'd like to support the third party titles on the system which interest me, but I'd much rather use a mouse/keyboard on PC than be stuck with antiquated dual analogue aiming, not to mention the PC version will be £10 cheaper. If third parties want their Wii U games to have any chance of making mint, you'd think they'd do the basic work required to play up the advantages a Nintendo console has to offer over its competitors.

(Of course, if anyone here has an account on the Capcom site, you could always ask what it would take to get pointer aiming into the game)

Anteo

Does this have RE4/5 style weapon upgrading? It's what I miss most in RE6.

This one is different than RE4 (haven't played RE5). You can equip parts to weapons, and de-equip them later, so you are free to experiment.

fernoca

It's annoying the Wii U version of the game won't have pointer controls. I'd like to support the third party titles on the system which interest me, but I'd much rather use a mouse/keyboard on PC than be stuck with antiquated dual analogue aiming, not to mention the PC version will be £10 cheaper. If third parties want their Wii U games to have any chance of making mint, you'd think they'd do the basic work required to play up the advantages a Nintendo console has to offer over its competitors.

(Of course, if anyone here has an account on the Capcom site, you could always ask what it would take to get pointer aiming into the game)
Been fair, the Wii U version is already taking advantages of many things that console offers (off-TV, dual screen, Miiverse). They did said that pointer controls are possible through a patch, since is not something that can be added easily without delaying the game Even Monster Hunter got off-TV through a patch so...guess they're listening.

Slermy

Been fair, the Wii U version is already taking advantages of many things that console offers (off-TV, dual screen, Miiverse). They did said that pointer controls are possible through a patch, since is not something that can be added easily without delaying the game Even Monster Hunter got off-TV through a patch so...guess they're listening.

I'm hoping the Wii U version is good. I don't have a Wii U yet, but would like to grab one along with this, Pikmin 3, and The Wonderful 101.

fernoca

Hope Wii U version is the definitive version. Is it also more expensive?

Didn't know it will be retail. Thought it was a psn/XBLA game.

Game was announced at $49.99 across all platforms; just that Amazon has the Wii U version for $40 for over a month (the others at $50).

Since then they haven't said much about the price. There were many complaints so..who knows. At the moment, all preorders are still $49.99 (except the aforementioned Wii U/Amazon version).

It wil be released both retail and digital.

Top Bottom