• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TEKKEN 7 |OT| How I killed your mother

They do that on PS4? I don't ever go to lobbies, just quick player, ranked and private. Nothing really happens there aside of rare overly excited 14 year olds that need to say something dumb. I must say that compared to Tag2 ppl are civil here. The psn reporting system is way better here so most are afraid to spam shit.
PS4 Quick Match. I've worked my way up to Grand Master, which I'm pretty pleased with for someone who doesn't play Tekken/3D fighters. I may not have a lot of Tekken experience but I know when I see a player with a LOT of experience. The people I'm matched with are SO far ahead of my level it's unreal. Backdash cancelling all over the place, ducking all my strings at the right time, teching throws consistently, big damage combos, tech traps. It's frustrating as hell.

FINALLY managed to scrounge time together to play some good old tekken 7 and here are some of my musings.

• Jesus Christ I need to play this game more often it is so fucking fun and addicting.
  • I still love Lars and his versatility. Now that I think about it, Lars and Kat is a pretty decent combo for the way I like to play tbh.
  • I really wish this game had a replay function. Just had this incredibly badass match winning moment, where (as Lars) i did a b+3 into DE into Rage Drive and the enemy Paul player blocked the b+3 but started up a Rage Art afterwards. My Rage Drive hit and won the match and it looked sooooo cool with the hit sparks and the gut wrenching THWAMP sound.
  • Man, people online are so salty. Constantly bailing as soon as I win two or three matches, one King player even RQ at the end. Joke's on him though cause I still got promoted to Marauder hehe.
  • Playing this game has made me realize just how far I myself have come as a fighting game player. I had a set where I lost like 5 rounds in a row to a Jin player who tbh kept doing a lot of the same stuff. Where I normally might have gotten salty, I just kept my cool and analyzed what I was doing wrong and adjusted mid match. Eventually made the comeback and clean sweeped the next match too lol (to which he bailed).

[*]Playing this game has made me realize just how far I myself have come as a fighting game player. I had a set where I lost like 5 rounds in a row to a Jin player who tbh kept doing a lot of the same stuff. Where I normally might have gotten salty, I just kept my cool and analyzed what I was doing wrong and adjusted mid match. Eventually made the comeback and clean sweeped the next match too lol (to which he bailed).
[/LIST]

These moments are the best and yeah a lot of people who win using the same gimmicks over and over will quit when you've downloaded them. As a noob, it isn't until the green ranks that most people are just playing on decent fundamentals more often than not.

KongoJack is pretty good, but GoAttack is easily the best M.Raven. That guy is just on another level

I don't feel that I've learned anything from GoAttack.

Watching KongoJack showed me a lot of stuff that I should be doing that I wasn't.

Went back to the lab with Raven. Spent a good hour practicing WS+1 ff+3, df+2, 3 (S!) ~dash~ (LAB) 3+4, ff+3, qcf+3, 4. Really, any launch that includes d/f+2, 3 ~dash~ (LAB) 3+4. I noticed that LAB+3+4 was missing A LOT even though I was doing it fast. Well the window is very narrow. It's really not so much a dash as it is a scoot, lol.

Went on and had MUCH better success today than I did last week. Beat up a bunch of dudes Grand Master/Brawler peeps until I fought this Juggernaut-level Leo. She beat we three times and then I beat him twice and she left after that.

Them quitting before I could even the score is my big Tekken victory of the day. Unfortunately, I'm still throwing a lot of flying knees (ff+3). I have been unable to hit people with d/f+2, qcf+4, or 4~3 as launchers.

Almost no one wants to deathmatch in Ranked anymore, feels bad man. Who gives a shit about rank, let's fight. They either win-quit or they quit after a maximum of 2 losses in a row, generally. I even beat a Warrior Kazuya (I'm green marauder) who quit immediately.

Almost no one wants to deathmatch in Ranked anymore, feels bad man. Who gives a **** about rank, let's fight. They either win-quit or they quit after a maximum of 2 losses in a row, generally. I even beat a Warrior Kazuya (I'm green marauder) who quit immediately.

The point of playing ranked is to...gain rank.

Sayah

Almost no one wants to deathmatch in Ranked anymore, feels bad man. Who gives a shit about rank, let's fight. They either win-quit or they quit after a maximum of 2 losses in a row, generally. I even beat a Warrior Kazuya (I'm green marauder) who quit immediately.

I always dm in Ranked. Usually, the other player is the one that leaves. I don't really care about rank, only competition.

Anyway, I captured a mirror match with another Nina. We had a long set but I don't have the energy to upload all of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqCJiZIwPyU

The point of playing ranked is to...gain rank.

For people that want good competition, ranked is the best place to find it.

AAK

Tekken comics in 1997:

9BN19RJ.jpg

Tekken comics in 2017:

tumblr_ow0u6u6ap91uq6svio1_1280.jpg

tumblr_ow0u6u6ap91uq6svio2_1280.jpg

Check out @Speedkicks’s Tweet and responses https://twitter.com/Speedkicks/status/912121105955020800?s=09

What do you guys think? Tbh, not that I don't think the release date doesn't have any effect, but I think the fact that top players are leaning on it as an excuse too often is more worrisome.

Like Tekken 7 has a lot of fundamental changes but in same merit, it's still Tekken. There's no change like we see in other fighters from game to game, so the issues that non-asian players have had are the same issues I've seen since I've watched competitive Tekken. At some point these guys really have to buckle down and get out of their own head and really start looking at the game neutrally and objectively.

ShinMaruku

Tekker has had the Seoul machine turned on it, where North America will never have such a machine or anything equivalent to it. So regardless of of it launched at the same time there will always be a gap until practice is similiar in regions.

Hyun Sai

Check out @Speedkicks’s Tweet and responses https://twitter.com/Speedkicks/status/912121105955020800?s=09

What do you guys think? Tbh, not that I don't think the release date doesn't have any effect, but I think the fact that top players are leaning on it as an excuse too often is more worrisome.

Like Tekken 7 has a lot of fundamental changes but in same merit, it's still Tekken. There's no change like we see in other fighters from game to game, so the issues that non-asian players have had are the same issues I've seen since I've watched competitive Tekken. At some point these guys really have to buckle down and get out of their own head and really start looking at the game neutrally and objectively.

It was the same thing in Street Fighter when it was releasing before on the arcade. Too bad they don't have this excuse anymore in SFV when Asian players come and take US tournaments....

It was the same thing in Street Fighter when it was releasing before on the arcade. Too bad they don't have this excuse anymore in SFV when Asian players come and take US tournaments....

SFV also has the excuse of being fundamentally different from it's last entry as well, closing the gap a lot better. Most of the top players still haven't adjusted.

I haven't watched a lot of competitive Tekken due to 7 being my first real interest in the series, but it seems there isn't much of a Japanese scene? How come? It's a Japanese game with an arcade presence. They just don't take to 3D fighting games over there?

I truly don't know where you get that idea. Tekken is basically the most-played fighting game in JP arcades, unless you want to count Gundam.

There's a preposterously large Tekken tourney each year too (or every other year? I dunno), Master Cup.

Oh, my bad then. I got the impression all the top tier talent was Korean and drew some incorrect assumptions.

Hutchie

Having the arcade game for two year or whatever, plus access to the best competition gives you one hell of an advantage. In a sense that experience gap cant be closed and you'll always be behind so it would feel like a losing battle. T6 and t7 are imo significantly different not just in terms of moveset but to the point where if you were good at 6 the only real thing you would have down is forwards and backwards movement (adjustments would have to be made for excution due to lag). Anyway, the only thing non jpn or asian resident players can do is practice and play, no whining about the release will help close the gap

AAK

It's pretty simple really, you have 2 classes from separate high schools where all the students need to take their SAT exams. Give one class 3 years of specific preparation and give the other class 3 months. Guess which class will have an advantage?

The gap is going to be extra apparent with brand new characters. Everyone knows how to play against Dragunov, Jack, Mishimas, Eddy, etc. But new characters like Lucky Chloe, Josie, Katarina, Kazumi, etc. Can you really be knowledgeable about how to play with them, or against them, just by watching videos?

sasuke_91

There is an advantage and there will always be an advantage when Asia has access to the game for almost 3 years before the rest of the world can try it out. I honestly can't blame people for being salty when something character specific fucks them up in tournament, especially when it's a new character that they only know from watching videos. People saying that it wouldn't have been different... I don't know. Even if the games are similar, there's a lot more to it. Competition, motivation, all that became less and less for TTT2 the longer T7 took to come out. And there's still the very specific stuff that you have to know and have the muscle memory for when you go into a tournament.

GrayFoxPL

I truly don't know where you get that idea.

I know where. I can barely find Japanese match videos on youtube. There's kurokuro that only has recording of a stream and these things are not great to watch when you just want to see certain player or character. Korean match videos are everywhere.

Tournament scene also dominated by Koreans.

I feel like Japan stops trying to compete. They're in the shadows. Pisses me off since I love watching Japanese Tekken but can't find it now.

Rip Derek

Rip Numb

They both went into a minefield.

nJAhxwk.gif

the fact that speedkicks specifically mentions chloe adds some validity to his statement.

But on another topic...my input accuracy is slipping bad...I'm getting too old for this shit...

the fact that speedkicks specifically mentions chloe adds some validity to his statement.

But on another topic...my input accuracy is slipping bad...I'm getting too old for this shit...

Idk it just comes off as not putting your mind into the game and lands in the "excuses" territory. There's a case to be made but at the same time the shit doesn't help you in the slightest by stating the obvious. We are well aware how bs it is not everyone has the game at the same time but as as a competitor you gotta just shut up and focus on what's at hand.

It's not Like Naps actually lost his winners match the last tournament against Jeonding because of Chloe.

AAK

Lol it's not an even playing field and there's nothing wrong with calling Namco out on it. They put up thousands and thousands of dollars up for grabs and handicap 90% of their fanbase from ever reaching it. I welcome anyone with a voice to keep speaking up until hopefully it pierces Namco's corporate Fortress and influences someone within that can make a difference.

Sayah

Lol it's not an even playing field and there's nothing wrong with calling Namco out on it. They put up thousands and thousands of dollars up for grabs and handicap 90% of their fanbase from ever reaching it. I welcome anyone with a voice to keep speaking up until hopefully it pierces Namco's corporate Fortress and influences someone within that can make a difference.

It's not going to pierce namcos fortress. Tekken 7 was successful both in arcades and on consoles despite everything. They're going to keep following this shitty model until people stop buying their game. I mean I'm still waiting for Nina's BV costume and panel to be made available even though that ish is already in story mode.

Which is why I wish another competent dev would venture into 3D fighting game territory and create a new product that skips all the bs.

Real talk though. Tekken 7 could be better, but it's still not as bad as Street Fighter 5 or Marvel versus Capcom infinite.

Tekken 7 is an excellent game that could be better. Those games are... underwhelming.

Sayah

Real talk though. Tekken 7 could be better, but it's still not as bad as Street Fighter 5 or Marvel versus Capcom infinite.

Tekken 7 is an excellent game that could be better. Those games are... underwhelming.

Tekken is not excellent when you compare it to its predecessors. In many ways, it's worse than its predecessors, including for netcode, customization, character design, presentation, dlc practices, or just features and content in general. Two+ years of waiting and there's nothing bold or exciting about this game. They could have remastered Tekken 6 with improved netcode, and I probably would have been happier with that.

If you want to compare it to other games, though, perhaps using Injustice 2 would be a better metric. Capcom games being underwhelming doesn't give Tekken an excuse to also be underwhelming.

Top Bottom