• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT9| People still play this? Isn't it from 2004

cdyhybrid

I'll believe it when I see it.

Blizz has already said that they don't want to add too many specs to the game (which is why DH only has two) - would make zero sense for them to add a new one for every class.

Zelias

Banned
Only way I can see another Cata-style revamp working is if they use it to put World Quests or an evolution of that system in Azeroth so there's content for max-level players.

Explosive is kind of an awful M+ modifier.

I don't think it's that bad overall, I just don't really like how the affixes this week interact with each other. Just sort of all in on shitty trash packs. I may or may not be salty that I just tanked a DHT with a bad guild group earlier today.

It is awful, especially when combined with Grievous. Constantly need to stop to heal up but you're exploding at the same time and need to spread out.

That doesn't sound like Explosive. Sounds more like bursting / quaking week?

Blues1990

Okay. Yeah honestly I wouldn't worry too much about making the big money until you're higher level, just because it becomes far easier then. For now sell the mats you harvest and vendor your junk, and try to make enough money to cover your expenses while leveling, like mount & flying training and buying bigger bags. Leveling a profession will pay off eventually too. If you're willing to use an addon, I also use one that scans the auction house for item values. There's some BoE (bind on equip) items that could drop while you're leveling that actually have really good value on the auction house because people want them for transmogs.

Ah, so not until level 50-60 should I be concerned with making money, no?

Also, what professions should I go in that would be a good way to make a decent income?

Nokterian

wuu9fy1jpwnz.png

Posted on Reddit. Probably Bullshit, but OMFG if this ends up being true. User who originally posted had a Blizzard email.

https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comments/728b7a/this_was_removed_instantly_user_account_had/

I believe when i see it. So far i don't believe it.

Syf

Banned

Also, what professions should I go in that would be a good way to make a decent income?
tbh I haven't tried all the professions so maybe someone else knows best, but I've made good money with enchanting and alchemy. You'll want to pick a gathering profession if you want to sell extra mats though, maybe take a look at what the going prices are on your realm's auction house and see if any of them are worth it.

And 100+ is when making gold really gets easy. During leveling you pretty much just want to make sure you have enough for your riding skills and flying plus a mount, and buy yourself some bigger bags if you haven't. Here is a chart of all the riding costs. The prices will go down as your faction rep increases too. Artisan & master aren't really necessary, they just make your flying mounts go faster. You'll want apprentice, journeyman, expert, and the region licenses, then artisan & master when you can afford.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Only way I can see another Cata-style revamp working is if they use it to put World Quests or an evolution of that system in Azeroth so there's content for max-level players.

I mean, a decent-to-big part of why WQs work is because everyone is doing them - unless they turn out to be 3-4 areas out of the (however many it is) greater Azeroth per 'day', that spreads out the playerbase like mad. You'd basically HAVE to use WQGF or some similar item.

Plus, if they keep WQs as-is, they'll have finally pulled completely away from ever being able to be 'done' with a character - unless they severely cut back the titanforge system.

While BC definitely needs a cata-style revamp, Blizz has all but abandoned the leveing process as a 'pillar' until you reach current content.

Cata-style edits on BC quests feels silly when most people are still gonna blow through 60-70 via dungeon hopping, clearing HFP, and maybe a bit of shatt or Zangarmarsh, if even that.

WOTLK quests, meanwhile, aren't nearly as bad, and you can get out of there through 2-3 zones even without using dungeons.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I mean, a decent-to-big part of why WQs work is because everyone is doing them - unless they turn out to be 3-4 areas out of the (however many it is) greater Azeroth per 'day', that spreads out the playerbase like mad. You'd basically HAVE to use WQGF or some similar item.

Plus, if they keep WQs as-is, they'll have finally pulled completely away from ever being able to be 'done' with a character - unless they severely cut back the titanforge system.

I mean, they could pick a random zone and do an invasion-type event every week. It'd force people out into the large world and force a change of scenery every now and again, if only for a few hours every week.

Syf

Banned
Did Ion not already say that the Chromie scenario is a hint at the future? Thought I read that somewhere. Hard to do that with no Northrend.

Aside from that even can you guys really see them removing ICC and Ulduar from the game? Why would they do that? Feels like a bogus rumor to me.

You'd think they would have learned their lesson first time around.

The questing and QoL changes in Cata initially were a huge hit. It was a small subset of players complaining mostly about stuff losing its charm. But if you compare the leveling experience pre-Cata to post-Cata, the overall changes were amazing. It used to be a nightmare to level through Vanilla content, because the exp scaling was all wacky, and you had no clear idea where you should be going--the Hero's Call quests in SW and Org were the true MVPs of that expansion.

I think the problem with Cata was mostly for people leveling 80-90 or 85 whatever it was. The zones you went to were incredibly spread out and required you to take all sorts of scenic routes that were incredibly annoying unless you had the portal locations and such memorized. Also Cata--much like, but not as bad as--Lich King squandered a lot of potential, and I think Deathwing was just a pretty uninteresting villain. I think the way it screwed with the timeline was also an issue--you went from Cata Era in the Old World from 1-58, then Pre-WotLK Outlands, then Northerend Pre-Cata, then back to Cata in the new zones. It's all sorts of screwy.

Honestly at this point I wouldn't mind some of the timeline consolidated, stretch out the Cata zones so you don't even need to go to Outlands and Northerend, and add the dungeons/raids from there to the Timewalking events or allow people to solo queue into them for xmog runs. I kinda wish there was never a reason to do WoD content again either, but that's too ambitious...

How can classes even share specs? lolwut

I'm guessing if they were to do 'hero' specs, like say..Spellbreaker(Warrior+Mage), Necromancer(Druid+Warlock), Bard(Rogue+Hunter), etc.

Basically this spec will mix armor types and share some traits(IE Bard equipping a Dagger and Bow, having some basic skills from both classes), and they'll be usable by their classes...
..it could be interesting.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'm guessing if they were to do 'hero' specs, like say..Spellbreaker(Warrior+Mage), Necromancer(Druid+Warlock), Bard(Rogue+Hunter), etc.

Basically this spec will mix armor types and share some traits(IE Bard equipping a Dagger and Bow, having some basic skills from both classes), and they'll be usable by their classes...
..it could be interesting.

May as well just make new classes at that point. If this is the way they're going they just need to hit reset and do WoW2. If only to de-clutter and simplify.

DrBo42

Do the minor invasions on Argus limit gear drops to once per invasion per area? So if you do all 3 areas and then repeat them in a few hours are you excluded from possible drops?

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Cata Azeroth is 7 years old by now. Vanilla Azeroth was 6 years old before the revamp. If it's true i won't be surprised.

I'm all for revamps as long:

a) The new zone progression makes sense lore-wise. Going from Cata Azeroth to back to Outland/Northrend and then Azeroth again is broken af.
b) Keep the old worlds through Caverns of Time or some shit like it. Removing Vanilla Azeroth from the game was a mistake IMO.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
They can't remove Outlands & Northrend despite them being outdated and not making sense lorewise, that would be beyond stupid. What about all the transmogs, achievements, pets, mounts, titles you get from them? "Sorry for you for not getting them sooner" would be their excuse?

Yeah right.

Shahadan

They won't "remove" Outland and Northrend but they can easily remove the requirement for leveling up there and allow people to reach 80 without leaving the old world

Bisnic

They won't "remove" Outland and Northrend but they can easily remove the requirement for leveling up there and allow people to reach 80 without leaving the old world

Even if that was the case, that makes the reddit post even less legit because they're both not "going" anywhere.

Shahadan

Even if that was the case, that makes the reddit post even less legit because they're both not "going" anywhere.

Meh if he's fanboy enough he can consider them "removed" since optional
You don't have to reach very far to realize some people would post the exact same take on that if it's true.

Even the shared spec thing, especially the LAZY part. Back when they said artifacts won't follow us next xpac I had thought new specs linked to the storyline would be one way to top that. But of course they won't make 11 new specs

I was not a big fan of Cata, but I can't say that I'd hate having old zones open up as WQ hubs. Even a few a day - only the zones with current rewards. It would be nice to have a reason to return to some of the lesser-used zones.

Syf

Banned
I'd be in favor of that. 60-80 is the worst stretch of leveling in the game imo.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Got the Paladin mount, only 1 left now.

This mount has some bullshit requirement, you need to have the nightborne disguise to buy an item for 500 ancient mana. So if your Paladin is an alt and you are not bothering doing the Suramar questline, think again.

Bisnic

Ideally(a bit like what Shahadan said sooner), what they could do is make the whole game like Legion while you're lvling. Each zones will adjust to your own lvl. So if you want to solely level from 1 to 110(if there's enough content for that) by playing exclusively in Kalimdor & Eastern Kingdoms, no problem! Mulgore or Duskwood with lvl 95 monsters with your lvl 95 alt? Sure! Although I guess that could piss some people off wanting to farm low lvl stuff.

The other question though...is what would happen with dungeons & raids if they did that. You can't stop people from soloing them or they would be a huge outcry.

lazygecko

This mount has some bullshit requirement, you need to have the nightborne disguise to buy an item for 500 ancient mana. So if your Paladin is an alt and you are not bothering doing the Suramar questline, think again.

Payback for getting a free mount in vanilla.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!

To be fair, getting the nightborne disguise is like the 4th quest in the chain. It should take less than an hour.

A lot of this is going to depend on your server and what you are comfortable doing. I think there's good money to be made in Legion with pretty much every profession (except maybe Engineering), but some are faster, some are more reliable, some are more straightforward etc. The WoWEconomy subreddit
is a good resource. I'd read it here and there while you are leveling to get an idea of what people do.

While leveling I'd go with simple gathering, as you can just do it while you level. Herb / mining / skinning. You will be able to quickly and cheaply level every profession with Draenor mats, so getting ahead of the curve there isn't important, IMO.

Nokterian

It is just a few quests also it is throw back to the old mount quests from paladin and warlock.

The other question though...is what would happen with dungeons & raids if they did that. You can't stop people from soloing them or they would be a huge outcry.
I'd just leave them as they are now. I mean they can make them scale but I think they would have enough foresight to know that people wouldn't take that well.

Bisnic

I'd just leave them as they are now. I mean they can make them scale but I think they would have enough foresight to know that people wouldn't take that well.

Yeah, I suppose. Everyone use the Dungeon Finder for dungeons anyway, and since they're all instanced, they wouldn't be affected by such a change.

But I think it would be a great idea to keep the 2 main continents a little more "alive" for high lvl players. I really liked going back to them during some class quests of Legion.
It would probably mean that the other continents/planets would be ghost towns though if you can do 100+ lvls by sticking to Kalimdor/EK...

I thought I'd have a more negative reaction, but I don't think I'd mind if TBC and WotLK were moved like that, and level scaled so there was value in doing it whenever you wanted. Like, reward large amounts of gold and order resources doing the content at 110 if you wanted to for fun. The story/flow makes no sense right now anyway, and while I like the content, I've (and I'm sure others) done it so many times that maybe it shouldn't be mandatory.

This is with the assumption that they are going to clean up the crap Cata writing in vanilla zones and make everything flow better. If they aren't going to do that, then why bother?

Nokterian

MoP is 5 years old!

Still one of the most unique and coolest expansions i played, i never understood the hate..fuck i love pandaren, i loved them when met chen stormstout in warcraft 3! It even started as a joke by sam didier and now it is a race in the game.

Pandaren Monk is currently my favorite, love the whole aesthetic to it and the class fantasy. Pandaria was really amazing and i regularly visit pandaria just to soak in the environment.

https://twitter.com/Warcraft/status/912300689669238784

Let's celebrate the 5th anniversary of Mists of Pandaria with some epic moves

vS2ELa2.gif

MoP set the new standard that WoD failed to live up to and Legion exceeded.

The aesthetics, music, enemies, and story are the best Blizzard has ever done so far. The content drought killed it though.

Nokterian

MoP set the new standard that WoD failed to live up to and Legion exceeded.

The aesthetics, music, enemies, and story are the best Blizzard has ever done so far. The content drought killed it though.

Content drought was just the worst..they have finally learned there lesson from it after two expansions.

I can honestly say I would have never started playing World of Warcraft if it weren't for Mists of Pandaria. Pandaren are always my go-to race if a particular class has them as an option.

Glass

MoP music alone makes it one of the best expansions. I hope the new expansion captures the same sense of adventure and wonder, with a South Seas / pirate theme that would be amazing .

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I don't even like Pandaren as a race (I've had characters of every horde race except them) and I think MoP was a terrific expansion. It was so much more than "kung fu pandas" and people who still parrot that shit just look like total fucking idiots to me.

MoP was a great expansion, it helped cleanse the taste of shit that Cata left in my mouth. Then of course WoD damn near brought it back again. Legion is at least not terrible.

erawsd

For the most part I thought MoP actually had a really good content/patch cycle. It was really just the extended gap between the final patch of MoP and the start of WoD that might have been a bit too long. Personally, I've never been bothered by the end of expac droughts since its a great time to break and chip away at the backlog without feeling like you'll miss out.

Top Bottom