• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Jailbreak/Unlock |OT|

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Dreams-Visions said:
son of a bitch. I just noticed I have Wifi Sync installed on my MBP. I bet that was why I could never get past that 95% on iTunes as well.

I wasted a lot of hours on that as well. fuck me. oh well. Now I know and can advice others who will inevitably have the same problem.

So what, then? That's like a day's worth of effortless work between just the two of us?
:/

Mejilan said:
I partially bricked and recovered my PSP.
I partially bricked and recovered my Wii.
I partially bricked and recovered my DS.

But none of those road bumps were nearly as bad as this.
Same here. When playing around with the iPhone hardware-wise you have to care about way too many things at the same time. iTunes is really annoying me big time at times and today especially. It will just create more problems while you try to solve one. Never experienced that with any other device before. Annoying combination.

Mejilan

iTunes is pretty terrible.
Granted, my computer is about 5 or 6 years old, but at least on Win XP, it runs like total ass.
Older versions also ran like total ass 5 or 6 years ago, though.
I've never liked it. Clunky, bloated, and likely terribly optimized for Windows.

Today I hated it a little more. Too many useless error messages.

Edit - You know what? Screw this.
I'm canceling the iTunes sync, since it's going to be at least another two hours before all of my shit is copied over. Gonna attempt the limera1n jailbreak, hopefully finish shortly, leave the iPhone syncing with iTunes over night, go crash in my bed, and hopefully everything will be magically alright in the morning.

Mejilan

Uh, well, that was fast.
Not quite as impressive as jailbreakme.com, but done is done, right?
Time for bed!

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
To anyone that can help me.

Today I was trying to jailbreak and unlock an iphone 3g phone for a friend, the firmware was at 4.1 and i was trying the downgrade method seen on cnet with brian tong but i get that error that was on cnet and then i tried to boot recboot to get the phone out of recovery mode and recboot does not work at all, then i tried unbrella from someone that posted in the youtube comments and that didn't work, so at this point i do not want to even jailbrake or unlock the phone i just want to return it back to its original state and give it back to my friend. been at this all night

i am using windows pc

iphone 3g

itunes 10

thanks for anyone that can help.

here is a pic of the error

474e43f8.jpg

neojubei said:

Today I was trying to jailbreak and unlock an iphone 3g phone for a friend, the firmware was at 4.1 and i was trying the downgrade method seen on cnet with brian tong but i get that error that was on cnet and then i tried to boot recboot to get the phone out of recovery mode and recboot does not work at all, then i tried unbrella from someone that posted in the youtube comments and that didn't work, so at this point i do not want to even jailbrake or unlock the phone i just want to return it back to its original state and give it back to my friend. been at this all night

i am using windows pc

iphone 3g

itunes 10

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v733/rashonmon/474e43f8.jpg[/IG][/QUOTE]
did you try putting the phone into DFU mode? or just restoring 4.1?

also, have you been here: [url]http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1275[/url] and done all the recommended steps? most recent version of iTunes? java updated?

neojubei said:

i am using windows pc

iphone 3g

itunes 10

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v733/rashonmon/474e43f8.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
If you didn't save that iPhones SHSH blobs before updating to 4.1, you can't go back. You need them (saved at Cydia or locally) to be able to go back to a earlier fw version. To do this with iTunes you need to fake Apple's update server via an entry inside the hosts file (/etc/hosts) --> "74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com". So instead of contacting Apple, it will check saurik's server (Cydia) and let you downgrade. That's pretty much it. But keep in mind that his server is hammered at the moment, especially by people demanding their SHSH blobs, due to limera1n not working properly on many devices.

Mailenstein said:
If you didn't save that iPhones SHSH blobs before updating to 4.1, you can't go back. You need them (saved at Cydia or locally) to be able to go back to a earlier fw version. To do this with iTunes you need to fake Apple's update server via an entry inside the hosts file (/etc/hosts) --> "74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com". So instead of contacting Apple, it will check saurik's server (Cydia) and let you downgrade. That's pretty much it. But keep in mind that his server is hammered at the moment, especially by people demanding their SHSH blobs, due to limera1n not working properly on many devices.
good points. listen to this man. you're going to have to just restore/DFU your way back to 4.1.

also, does limera1n not work for 3G 4.1? I thought it was for all iOS devices?

Dreams-Visions said:
good points. listen to this man. you're going to have to just restore/DFU your way back to 4.1.

also, does limera1n not work for 3G 4.1? I thought it was for all iOS devices?
Seems not to:
PgkGp.png

Didn't really pay attention. Good thing you pointed that out.

rc213

neojubei said:

i am using windows pc

iphone 3g

itunes 10

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v733/rashonmon/474e43f8.jpg/IMG][/QUOTE]

Only chance of unlocking a iPhone 3G already on 4.1 is if you saved the SHSH blobs for 4.0 or 4.0.1 and it has the old bootrom.

DeathbyVolcano said:
God, sometimes I hate not having a PC. Or when people don't immediately support mac releases. Bothers me :-/
seems like dev teams pwnage tool and chronics greenpois0n will both be updated with this exploit and released shortly, with proper testing and simpler jb process, and for mac

give it a few days, geo kinda stepped on toes and rushed this out right before greenpoison dropped

neojubei

Yeah i thought it would be too good to be true. He is going to be upset but hopefully i can restore his phone. ive uninstalled and reinstalled itunes.

Mailenstein said:

Thanks but at this point i just want to restore the phone the way it was and let him pay someone to unlock it. been at this almost all night..sigh,

BTW I have an iphone 3GS 4.0, can that be unlocked easily?

Mairu

;_;

So I backed up my phone and did the restore & update and I'm getting the 1004 error that it cannot restore

I don't have wifi sync installed or anything

:(

neojubei said:
Thanks but at this point i just want to restore the phone the way it was and let him pay someone to unlock it. been at this almost all night..sigh,

BTW I have an iphone 3GS 4.0, can that be unlocked easily?
Well, you did a backup via iTunes before you started with that fancy stuff, right :D? Anyway, uninstalling and reinstalling iTunes should be fine. The backups won't be touched that way. Just right click on the device (at left sidebar) in iTunes when you connect it. There should be an option to restore from backup. Choose your backup and you are good to go.

As for your 3GS 4.0 (not 4.0.2): You want it to be jailbroken or unlocked to use SIM cards by other carriers?
Jailbreak: jailbreakme.com
Unlock: jailbreakme.com --> enter Cydia app --> install ultrasn0w --> be happy ;)

Mairu said:
;_;

So I backed up my phone and did the restore & update and I'm getting the 1004 error that it cannot restore

I don't have wifi sync installed or anything

:(
Try resetting your credit card info. I remember getting this error once and had to do that in order to get it to work. Yes, I'm serious.

Mairu

I managed to fix the error with TinyUmbrella

Got Limera1n and Cydia on the app, now to attempt to restore to jb state w/my apps... if not it's downloading time :lol

cvxfreak

My story:

Hardware: iPhone 4
Carrier: Softbank
Firmware: 4.1
Modem Firmware: 01.59.00
Computer OS: OSX, limera1n installed using Windows XP

First, I held the firmware back at 01.59.00 with tinyumbrella. Then I jailbroke it using limera1n. Then unlocked using ultrasn0w.

Works perfectly! :D

jts

...hate me...
Anyone got biteSMS working with iPhone delivery?

iPhone delivery is only working with the default messages app for me.

Also, how do one changes the root password now that mobile terminal isn't working?

jts said:
No, I got biteSMS working. It just doesn't show up any kind of delivery report with iPhone Delivery installed. But yeah, I guess it's called beta for a reason.

Thanks though.
I know, thats why I'm giving you the beta ;).

bedlamite

Been using Suave ever since I've had a jailbroken iPhone, I do love it but I wanted to change things up, currently rocking the Black'UPS theme I found on Cydia

11lu68z.jpg

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
So I tried to patch Game Center into my iPhone 3G... and it seems to just boot up and then immediately close. It doesn't actually work :/ Any ideas?

neojubei

Mailenstein said:
Well, you did a backup via iTunes before you started with that fancy stuff, right :D? Anyway, uninstalling and reinstalling iTunes should be fine. The backups won't be touched that way. Just right click on the device (at left sidebar) in iTunes when you connect it. There should be an option to restore from backup. Choose your backup and you are good to go.

Try resetting your credit card info. I remember getting this error once and had to do that in order to get it to work. Yes, I'm serious.

Thanks but the phone is still in recovery mode. i dont even have any credit card info on my account. now its monday and i am still at this. i dont know why it won't get out of recovery mode. i uninstalled itunes reintalled restarted my pc, now what else should i do?

neojubei said:
Thanks but the phone is still in recovery mode. i dont even have any credit card info on my account. now its monday and i am still at this. i dont know why it won't get out of recovery mode. i uninstalled itunes reintalled restarted my pc, now what else should i do?
wait, what's going on? maybe I can help.

neojubei

update i disabled zonealarm and i think it worked, now the phone needs a sim card to activate it. how can i activate it without a sim card?

cvxfreak said:
My story:

Hardware: iPhone 4
Carrier: Softbank
Firmware: 4.1
Modem Firmware: 01.59.00
Computer OS: OSX, limera1n installed using Windows XP

First, I held the firmware back at 01.59.00 with tinyumbrella. Then I jailbroke it using limera1n. Then unlocked using ultrasn0w.

Works perfectly! :D

Okay, were you using bootcamp or something? I've tried it nearly 20 times through parallels and it didn't work.

neojubei

Another question my sister has ATT but with a normal phone and a normal sim card, can i use her sim card to activate the iphone 3G? will ATT start charging her fees for activating on an iphone?

Can someone anyone help me out, my whole day is ruined with this damn iphone 3g. i swear i will never in my life to help a friend unlock a phone. he is probably going to sue me for not being able to unlock the phone. ugh..

^ I don't think her sim card will activate your phone. hmmm.

red shoe paul said:
Is that a constantly updated theme? If so, what's the name please?
pro tip: if you like a theme, there are probably a bunch of icons they designed sitting in the theme folder that are not in use. if you have apps that have no themed icon, you can:

1.) ssh into the device

2.) download the theme to your computer

3.) look over all of the PNG's and see if any of them can substitute for your app's icon

4.) change the name of the icon to the name of the app you'd like it to represent

5.) upload and respring. the new icon will have replaced the old one.

Winterboard icons are simply parsed by name. if you want a new icon for "camera", just name whatever icon you'd like in the theme folder "camera.png" and respring. works for any icon and any theme.

neojubei

ok used my sister's sim card and activated the phone then unplugged it before anything else could happen. checking her account to make sure att does not see she has an iphone.

checked the account nothing new and her phone is still listed as the old one.

Can anyone confirm this issue I am having?

First time jailbreak from iOS 4.1 on iPhone 3GS,
Install Winterboard.
Makes App text (underneath App icons) grey/difficult to read/transparent.

okno

BiteSMS is the shit! I don't know why it took me this long. What is the best emoji keyboard? I just like to mess with my brother haha.

rc213

Stumpokapow said:
So I tried to patch Game Center into my iPhone 3G... and it seems to just boot up and then immediately close. It doesn't actually work :/ Any ideas?

http://www.ipodtouchfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=310727&page=32

neojubei said:
Another question my sister has ATT but with a normal phone and a normal sim card, can i use her sim card to activate the iphone 3G? will ATT start charging her fees for activating on an iphone?

Can someone anyone help me out, my whole day is ruined with this damn iphone 3g. i swear i will never in my life to help a friend unlock a phone. he is probably going to sue me for not being able to unlock the phone. ugh..

It will get you past the Emergency Screen if that is all you are trying to do. I use a old AT&T that has no service and it always gets me past the Emergency Screen, You can also use a phonebook sim. Was the 3G on 4.1 locked when you got it from your friend? Or was it unlocked on a lower firmware?

http://www.limera1n.cc/2010/10/limesn0w-to-unlock-ios-42-and-ios-41.html

Limesn0w to Unlock iOS 4.2 and iOS 4.1 Baseband 02.10.4 and 05.15.01

:O Real?

freshair

sn1pes said:
What are the advantages to biteSMS?

Quick reply- reply directly within the notification popup w/o launching a messaging app
quick compose- set 'activators' to quickly compose a message w/o launching a messaging app
Reply templates- i use one for "currently driving. will reply soon" when i'm on the road and get a notification.
Scheduled SMS- preset a text message to be sent at a certain date

those are my main uses. :D

Top Bottom