• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CIVILIZATION VI |OT| He's Got the Whole World in His Hands

gonna be a long 24 hours.

ive avoided all but maybe 20 minutes of the early youtube/twitch stuff. got absolutely nothing to do friday night or saturday and im planning to sink a ton of time in.

Nibiru

Banned
I'm still on the fence with this. I have so many other games to play but there is just something about Civ that just gets me every time. I hear that this is probably the most complete new Civ they have made but I don't know TB said it in his preview vid.

Anno

Am I missing something or is there no need to balance empire happiness in Civ 6?

Correct. Happiness (called amenities here) is per-city. No more global happiness except if you get into the details about how lux resources are spread around.

AxeMan

I wasn't going to pre-order this as it is 90 Australian dollary do's but the link to GMG with the discount I caved.

jepense

Has anyone delved into Civfanatics to see their consensus?
Not much to say since people don't have it yet. In general the mood seems optimistic and people are excited about the new features on paper, but people also know that vanilla Civ is not the same as fully expanded Civ.

Mrbob

Those still looking for the 25th anniversary edition I pre ordered one last week from Best Buy dot com as a gift and its preparing to ship right now. Wasn't sure if the order would go through but it looks like it will. Website still says available too.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Those still looking for the 25th anniversary edition I pre ordered one last week from Best Buy dot com as a gift and its preparing to ship right now. Wasn't sure if the order would go through but it looks like it will. Website still says available too.

I ordered an anniversary edition yesterday too, but they don't seem to be available for shipping, only local pick up. Luckily there's one near my office that I plan to hit up during my Friday lunch break.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
This is my first OT, so hopefully it's alright.

Fantastic job SirNinja, looks great!

Tomorrow night at this time plus half an hour or so, I'll be unpacking the pre-load and getting ready to play Civilization 6. Oh My God, goodbye weekend....

Blizzard

Banned
I'm really looking forward to the game! I even got the preorder one for Aztecs, hoping for the discounted DLC to be worth it.

I wish there were more women leaders though. Am I counting correctly and it's 5 out of 20?

Ricitor

So damn amped. Cannot wait to get home tomorrow and fire it up.
Still struggling to decide which Civ I should start with. Cannot choose between Rome, Greece or China.

Sibylus

Banned
I'm really looking forward to the game! I even got the preorder one for Aztecs, hoping for the discounted DLC to be worth it.

I wish there were more women leaders though. Am I counting correctly and it's 5 out of 20?

Yes (Cleopatra, Tomyris, Gorgo, Catherine de Medici, Victoria). Plentiful, colorful options for more down the line.

Mrbob

I ordered an anniversary edition yesterday too, but they don't seem to be available for shipping, only local pick up. Luckily there's one near my office that I plan to hit up during my Friday lunch break.

That's interesting, I guess stock is regional? I can still pre order the item.

Echoes

Great OP! <3 Between Civilization VI and Endless Space 2 (which recently launched in Early Access) my free time is dipping into the minus. Not complaining.

Can't wait to massage my ego by nuking civilizations out of orbit.

Looks at laptop specs.

Processor: 2.4 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory: 4 GB
Graphics Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB + AMD Radeon HD 6770M

Weeps over being a poor piece of shit with a terrible old computer that can't play. ;_____;

Looks at laptop specs.

Processor: 2.4 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory: 4 GB
Graphics Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB + AMD Radeon HD 6770M

Weeps over being a poor piece of shit with a terrible old computer that can't play. ;_____;

Same here. Looks like this will be the first in the series I will not be getting. This hurts.

SourBear

Banned
Hate to be a poopoo about this. I'm still going to pick up the game. But that AI Battle Royale has raised some serious questions in my mind about the AI performance.

Before I go and poopoo all over it I will give it some praise first. The amount of time each AI took per turn has improved drastically from 5. No longer having to wait long periods of time between turns will be a great change.

- AI not upgrading units
So one of the programmers / designers mentioned on stream that this was possibly due to the fact that the AI may not have had access to the resource necessary for upgrading. In the case of warriors this would be iron. However, every AI in this game was having this issue. You can't sit there and tell me every single AI in that game lacked access to iron. Additionally, it wasn't just warriors. You had other units that could have been upgraded without a resource. There were warriors and archers not upgraded clear to the end.

- AI joint wars are badly programmed
During the stream some AI got involved in a joint war against an opponent. It was explained on stream by the designer that this rarely works out because "according to game theory" both AI would want the other AI to take the lead position. To me this speaks to a larger issue with the AI. That is the programmers / designers prioritizing what they think will be smart tactics instead of prioritizing what would be fun game play.

- AI non-aggressiveness
This kind of speaks to the previous point. If you've programmed AI that they are so smart they will avoid having battles when they go to war then that is a poor game design decision. If the game mechanics are penalizing going to war so much that the AI is prioritizing avoiding war at all costs then that is not fun game play. One of the programmers / designers mentioned on stream that through ALL of their AI testing not a single one of their tests had an AI win a Conquest victory. Not a single one. How was this not a huge red flag?!

As someone who knows next to nothing of this franchise, would I enjoy it if I love RTS games and back in the day adored Rise of Nations??

The wait has been unbearable.

Quick question, how do spies work? I know they're in the game but their mechanics have somehow slipped by me.

bjaelke

The wait has been unbearable.

Quick question, how do spies work? I know they're in the game but their mechanics have somehow slipped by me.

Similar to Beyond Earth. You sent them to cities with a mission.

2KGMKT_CivilizationVI_Screenshot_Preview_France_Espionage_06.jpg

http://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/screenshot-with-a-spy-and-mssions.571940/

Rayme

I really enjoyed my time with Civ5, and have meant to get back to it but never did. So I'm not tired of it at all, because I've been neglecting it.

I know I'll get this (Civ6) eventually - is there a good quick pitch for why I should make the jump now, rather than returning to Civ5?

(...I don't need much convincing, to be honest, just wondering how foolish I'd be in whichever choice!)

Dammit. So much stuff coming out this fall...

Just got PSVR and 300000 games with it, and looking to buy Battlefield 1 tomorrow.

I got refunded $60 from South Park preorder so I used it on TumbleVR, MLB the Show 16, and $30 towards Battlefield 1.

But Civ 5 was SOOOO good, and Civ 6 looks great...do I buy Civ 6 as well?

MoonFrog

Hope this dethrones Civ IV for me; vanilla Civ V disappointed me and I only briefly played Civ V plus all expansions much later and for a relatively short time (more for real life reasons--it was much improved.) I like some of the changes from Civ IV in principle (thinking destacking war), but the execution and feature set was off. I like what I know of Civ VIs further changes in principle (thinking destacking cities), but will it consume my soul like Civ III and IV did?

I hope so.

xVodevil

Dammit. So much stuff coming out this fall...

Just got PSVR and 300000 games with it, and looking to buy Battlefield 1 tomorrow.

I got refunded $60 from South Park preorder so I used it on TumbleVR, MLB the Show 16, and $30 towards Battlefield 1.

But Civ 5 was SOOOO good, and Civ 6 looks great...do I buy Civ 6 as well?

Just too many... Damn i gave in, after picking up BF1, yesterday I went for Gears4 then while on a roll, finally preordered this...
That isn't even the problem, because 2 of these I've wanted to pick up anyways, Gears is just a sudden idea, but how am I gonna play these all... Luckily, there is nothing else coming for me this year...

Though I'm surprised isn't this list of civs&leaders a bit short? I'd expected around 30, for I remember Civ 4 had way more than this, though I might be wrong, it was long time ago... Civ5 I don't know, since I've never played vanilla...

Top Bottom