• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ditch your PS3, Get $100 store credit towards Xbox One

Artorias

Banned
I think this is where's GAF hardcore mentality is missing the point.

Most people sell their games and consoles. Collectors are a rare breed, but common here.

Not that many gamers are interested in Persona 5. It's still a niche franchise in the west. It sells well to its fans of course, but Joe Gamer isn't holding out for Persona 5.

MS is going for a specific user, who the PS3 has no value to them as much and possibly is interested in the XB1--it's demand is still high even after all the mishaps with their DRM.

This is a reasonable deal. Not everyone is a super hardcore Sony fan.

I think the main problem is this isn't even a good deal for most PS3 models. Sure, many are saying they wouldn't sell theirs personally, but even among general consumers who would jump at this deal when they can get more even at Gamestop and just buy an X1 there?

Marcel

Not at all. I am in no way a console warrior for one side or the other.

Honestly I am just looking to elevate the discussion. Call it bubbling frustration with what I see as near constant and unstoppable garbage piles in every thread.

It has been the same shit for 8 months.

I didn't recognize you, Lord Arbiter of Quality Discussion. My liege! An 8 month campaign in the "same shit" optional internet discussions must have been difficult for you.

Dunlop

LOL F THAT,

the PS3 is still one the best DLNA/blu-ray combo players, I tried streaming to my buddies xbox one with anime when he first got the thing and it barely recognizes half my stuff. I have to remux the streams, convert to MP4 and then I can finally stream.....PS3.......run PS3 media server be done with it.

PS3 Media Server work with the XB1?

It actually infuriates me that Sony removed DNLA for the PS4 with their lame ass "we didn't think people would want it" excuse

Still waiting with baited breathe for the update it is supposed to be added to

kris.

Banned
Sonys answer just came in:

genbatzuuuuuuu8xu8y.jpg

nah...jk, just my crappy mspaint skills

George-Costanza-clapping.gif

beautiful. just beautiful

"Trade in your PS3, buy an Xbox One for the same price as a PS4, both systems now cost the same, there is no price disparity!"

It's genius. Kudos to Microsoft for such a smart plan. Many have been predicting a price drop, a kinectless sku to drop the price, and optical drive less sku to drop the price.

It was right in front of our face, just give your PS3 to Microsoft, and you can have an Xbox One for $400. Well played Microsoft.
There's nothing actually smart about it. If you mean sly, okay. If you mean slick,...okay. But I tend to reserve the term "smart" for acts that are also not so....underhanded.

It's absolutely no problem w/ the 360; MS made those consoles. But if this really is legit, they must have an agreement with Sony on cutting them in on profits from trade-in PS3s, otherwise I think it's questionable legally.

You know what? Fuck it if the law says it's legal. It shouldn't be legal.

Cryoflar3

Is this a Gamestop ad? Why would it be 100 toward a xone instead of a ps4?

Edit: Never just saw the MS store note at the bottom.

graboids

I think the main problem is this isn't even a good deal for most PS3 models. Sure, many are saying they wouldn't sell theirs personally, but who would jump at this deal when they can get more even at Gamestop and get the same system?

I haven't checked in a couple months but last fall Gamestop would only give me $80 for my PS3 so kept it... so &100 isn't bad. My PS3 is just a Bluray player at this point so when I get an Xbone this deal doesn't sound horrible to me... $100 for something I won't use again.

But I dont plan on buying one at an MS store so probably not useful to me anyway.

oSoLucky

I think the main problem is this isn't even a good deal for most PS3 models. Sure, many are saying they wouldn't sell theirs personally, but even among general consumers who would jump at this deal when they can get more even at Gamestop and just buy an X1 there?

You won't get $100 for a PS3 there unless you happen to wait for the right moment and get in on one of the trade deals. Most PS3 owners don't even have a 500gb Super Slim, which would garner the most trade credit. Trade prices have gone through the floor since the XB1 and PS4 released.

They did this with iPads, I think, for a Surface RT.

I'd probably get more for my PS3 in B/S/T since I'd have to include my library which wouldn't be much use.

Maybe MS just really wants to play MLB The Show.

Has Microsoft even entertained the option of winning people over by being the good guys, and not seeming like gigantic bullies?

Their overarching mindset is just so obnoxious, it makes me dislike them on principle. Like, I get that Sony is a big corporation that's out to make money just like everyone else, but look how far they've gotten just by appealing to my good nature and at least pretending like they have my best interests in mind. The complete lack of ethos in Microsoft is just so frustrating.

When I picture walking into Sony's HQ, I picture walking into a house, with someone greeting me as I walk in. When I picture walking into Microsoft's HQ, I picture a large office building where I need to study the elevator directory before knowing where the hell to go.
Just about how I feel atm. It's getting more and more to the point that, by the time I'm in the neighborhood to buy an XBO, I don't know if I actually will. Not because lack of money, but because I can't separate the product from the sort of lowball tactics its manufacturer are using to push its' sales. Why would I support that kind of behavior with money?

This is getting to the equivalent of those episodes of shows on Nick or Disney with middle school kids running for President. "Every tactic under the sun", that's how one side usually does it.

I think this is where's GAF hardcore mentality is missing the point.

Most people sell their games and consoles. Collectors are a rare breed, but common here.

Not that many gamers are interested in Persona 5. It's still a niche franchise in the west. It sells well to its fans of course, but Joe Gamer isn't holding out for Persona 5.

MS is going for a specific user, who the PS3 has no value to them as much and possibly is interested in the XB1--it's demand is still high even after all the mishaps with their DRM.

This is a reasonable deal. Not everyone is a super hardcore Sony fan.

The difference this time around is that PSN+ gives you an incentive to keep past gen PlayStation consoles, as you get additional (nearly) free software each month for every additional PlayStation platform you own.

There's nothing actually smart about it. If you mean sly, okay. If you mean slick,...okay. But I tend to reserve the term "smart" for acts that are also not so....underhanded.

It's absolutely no problem w/ the 360; MS made those consoles. But if this really is legit, they must have an agreement with Sony on cutting them in on profits from trade-in PS3s, otherwise I think it's questionable legally.

My post was dripping with sarcasm.....

Yeah, why won't anyone think of widdle Microsoft's feelings? They're our friend who wants to give us a great deal!

I don't think that is at all what he is saying. He is saying that companies do this all the time; which is is right about. He is saying that because it is Microsoft this thread is going to blow up though simply because it fuels the fire that "Microsoft is evil and desperate." The reality is that this promotion does apply to the Xbox S & E, but because they specifically reached out to PS3 owners they are desperate.

It is just marketing is all. There are going to be boatloads of people who just do not want to play their PS3/XBOX360 anymore. Whether they want to get a PS4 or Xbox One is completely up to the consumer, but Microsoft reaching out and giving them a small incentive isn't evil or desperate. It is just business. Sure you could buy the PS4, keep your PS3 and have the more powerful machine. That isn't who Microsoft is aiming at here and there is no way for them to parse their e-mail lists to find that specific person so they send it to everyone.

There are tons of people out there who are going to want to sell their last generation system because it doesn't interest them anymore. They could bring it to Gamestop and get $100 right now too I am pretty sure, maybe even less. So what is the crime if Microsoft does it as a promotion?

daveo42

Banned
$100 seems like a bad deal. Definitely not worthwhile and may only cater to people who are uninformed of the current used cost of a PS360 and just want their old system and upgrade. It's pointless too since you lose all BC since neither platform has it yet.

genbatzuuuuuuu8xu8y.jpg

This should actually be their response. This is perfect.

what the hell is MS going to do with all those traded PS3 then
Sell them on Craigslist for more than $100 just like the people trading them in could have done in the first place. Duh.

How about this-- Trade me straight-up for my 100% functioning launch 60GB fatty with BC and I might think about it. Might. I already bought, played and sold an X1 in December so you're going to have to make a damn good deal to get me to come back and start over.

Microsoft has no use for used PS3's so it's atleast possible that they will simply destroy them. If that is the case, then they are just giving $100 credit away with no return.

Why not just drop the price of the Xbone by $100 then?

Also, you would likely get more CASH than what Microsoft was offering if you sold your PS3 on eBay.

Can I trade in my Honda towards a brand new Toyota? Or should that be illegal too?

Microsoft has no use for used PS3's so it's atleast possible that they will simply destroy them. If that is the case, then they are just giving $100 credit away with no return.

Why not just drop the price of the Xbone by $100 then?

Also, you would likely get more CASH than what Microsoft was offering if you sold your PS3 on eBay.

instead of lowering the price of a xbone for 399, they'd rather destroy your ps3 .

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
B. Why would I sell a console with tons of games to partially fund a console with barely any games.

And the games it does have don't match the $100 less powerful console (Sup, Tomb Raider 9), while having "exclusives" that you could basically play already on a farrr cheaper older brother of it so not really compelling to play on the newer system.

LAA

Ha ha! I love how MS can't really say anything bad about PS4...seeing it has no bad press really... At least nothing that cant be directed back at itself for like backwards compatibility.

And yeah trade in your PS3...no thanks. PS3 actually still has games I'm looking forward to playing in the future... ha ha. (Bit harsh, ha ha, some games I'm looking forward to on X1 too...just not enough to buy the console for them)

EDIT:

genbatzuuuuuuu8xu8y.jpg

HA hA! Wow genius! Picture of the year award right here!

Nymphae

Banned
I traded in my 40gb PSPhatty for like $60 ish bucks at EB late last year :p I just wanted the fucking thing out of my house and didn't want to deal with putting up ads or meeting buyers. I know it's terrible trade in value, but whatever, I didn't want or need it and just wanted to play NFS:Rivals.

Top Bottom