• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch worldwide sales top 10 million

Is there a link to the internal sales figures report? I couldn’t find it sourced in the article and want clarify what Nintendo considers as “sold.” I also am looking to assess how they reached that mark while suspicions remain about their having withheld units and reports that there were notable production concerns.

Contextually speaking, the PS4’s first year saw shipped units of 13.5m, according to PlaystationLifestyle.net. And while it’s unlikely that you’ll see a huge push from Switch after the holidays to match that mark, it’s still plausible and a remarkable achievement. Kinda nice when Japan retail performance chips in instead of being utterly anemic.

Naiarama

Neo Member
Most importantly, the games on Switch are quite good. Add an interesting concept of hybrid console and you've got a recipe for success.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
The Nintendo Switch brought me back to console gaming after years of my consoles barely ever getting played once I learned how to comfy couch with my PC games. I still play the Switch every week. The games are good, the console and handheld are good, the graphics are good, the pro controller is great. This is from someone who returned his Wii because the graphics were hideous and skipped the Wii U because of lack of games that interested me, but has over 100 games across the DS' and 3DS' amazing libraries. So, well-deserved for Nintendo to appealing to me on all the right levels. They just got it right this time.

I spent like $900+ on a Switch, extra dock, four pro controllers and games within a month after playing Zelda: Breath of the Wild, which is in the top 5 games I've ever played in my life. No regrets. I can't wait for Pokemon and Animal Crossing on this sucker (and more RPGs, hopefully).

But, if the Switch didn't bring me back to console gaming, Monster Hunter World coming out next month on consoles and delayed for PC sure would've done it.

Anyway, congrats Nintendo.

Awesome news. I know it's going to be tough to top the year one game line up, but I think the Switch is going to have some solid years of first party content so hopefully it continues to sell well.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Good console, and great exclusive games. The fact that it can go mobile its just the cherry on top. Hope they keep this "steady" supply of great games.
Well seeing as the 3DS is on the back burner.

Both home console and portable dev teams have the one system to work on.

That’s gonna produce a load of games available.

I hope a few more last gen or early recent gen games get ported over by third party devs as well

Add in the indies and hopefully the games keep sales momentum up and the sales keep the games coming to the system.

amdb00mer

This is great news for Nintendo. They really needed this, not in terms of financials, but in terms of mindshare. This success should really wipe away the stigma of the WiiU once and for all. My only concern is for indies. Right now they are having great success on the Switch, but once more and more games get released I think they will start to get lost in the shuffle just like PS4 and Xbox One. Only a few really get any kind of mention with very limited storefront presence. I hope Nintendo works on a way to curate more than just the marketed "Nindies" releases. I say this because more of them are putting their faith in releasing on the Switch first or exclusively.

Litri

A few interesting things from a forbes article ->

-With a March 3rd, 2017 launch, the data on December 10th, 2017 says that it took the Switch 9 months and 7 days to sell 10 million units.

-In contrast, the PS4, launched on November 15th, 2013, took about 8 months and 29 days to sell 10 million units, almost identical. The difference being that Sony had a full holiday sales window while Nintendo hasn't had that with the Switch yet.

-The Wii also took about nine months to sell 10 million units, and that was when it was a worldwide, non-gamer craze unlike anything the industry had seen.

-The Xbox One took about a full year to ship 10 million units, not sell-through, and we don’t have the data for those exact figures.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2017/12/12/the-nintendo-switch-is-selling-exactly-as-fast-as-sonys-ps4/#6b33bd857b59

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
PS4 sold 10M in just under 9 months so it’s close to what PS4 was which is impressive.

Yeah but the PS4 had been through one Christmas, the Switch hasn't yet. It's gonna shoot right past PS4 by next year.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Yeah but the PS4 had been through one Christmas, the Switch hasn't yet. It's gonna shoot right past PS4 by next year.

The PS4 also had the Xbox One come out at the same time too. Not an easy 1 to 1 comparision.

Top Bottom