• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Activision Closes Budcat; Bizarre Closing On Friday, February 18th

Thank you Bizarre Creations for creating some of the best racing games on consoles. I bought every single one of them since Formula 1.

Raide

enzo_gt said:
My favourite game of all time. Of all time.

I will never forget, never.

Damn, after PGR2 it all went downhill. Way too much focus on super-cars, instead of the actual skilful driving. I loved doing the speed challenges in family 4x4's. :D If they ever bring PGR back, they need to carry on as PGR2 started.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Raide said:
Damn, after PGR2 it all went downhill. Way too much focus on super-cars, instead of the actual skilful driving. I loved doing the speed challenges in family 4x4's. :D If they ever bring PGR back, they need to carry on as PGR2 started.
I wont say those necessarily made PGR3 and 4 bad, but them, or no other racer was able to capture or replicate the magic in PGR2 that made driving cars of all classes fun. You could pick any car and have fun pretty much.

FoneBone said:
I think this qualifies as a little more than an allusion.

It's amazing how they expect the first installment in a new franchise to be a multi million succes. It took COD four games to get to the level is it now.

Recent example is probably Dead Space. First part didn't set the charts on fire, second is doing way better.

You can't expect a new franchise to be a large succes, it takes time and you probably need a few good games in a series to make a name in racing games where you have competition from decade old series like Need for Speed, Gran Turismo, Forza, DiRT.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
enzo_gt said:
Nothing comes even remotely close to PGR2 online :'(

Except maybe Forza 1 and it's car club system. (That Turn10 ripped out and forgot in 2/3/4 it seems).

I have a copy of PGR1 here. Loved the soundtrack and San Fran level. HOP KUDOS!

diffusionx

Gold Member
Sad that Bizarre is closing down. Their games, outside of Blur, were consistently excellent for 10+ years. I'll play some PGR2 this week in their memory. :(

SolidusDave said:
Maybe I'm completely wrong but shouldn't they be in a position where they can easily fund interesting games (w/o throwing absurd amounts of money on marketing) and just strengthen their brand recognition and build up new IPs (which would be a more future proof profit plan anyway imo)?

Games are really expensive to make. A few bombs can wipe out a huge chunk of that CoD money, and then what are you left with?

Look at EA. They have been "strengthening their brand recognition" and have been working to "build up new IPs"... and they've been losing money, consistently, for years. And FWIW, when their franchises were on top, they were doing the same thing Activision is doing now. It's a risky business and these companies are trying to insulate themselves from that.

StevieP

Banned
HD-Era budgets claim another one. Aside from motion-controllers becoming the standard, I will remember this generation for how many talented people are out of a job.

I wonder what these guys are doing this last week at work. I am sure they don't have any projects going on.

They should party it up and go ape-shit in their office. Go out with a bang.

meppi

nextgeneration said:
Unfortunately, it's not going to do any good. We're too small of a group to make any kind of dent in their business.
While that may seem to be the case, in the end it still makes a difference.

It's the only way to give bastards like this the middle finger, by voting with your money and taking it to a company that has at least somewhat of a moral standard.

meppi said:
While that may seem to be the case, in the end it still makes a difference.

It's the only way to give bastards like this the middle finger, by voting with your money and taking it to a company that has at least somewhat of a moral standard.

Yeah. Fuck you, business, for not continuing to lose money!

TheOddOne

Linked in shows some good stuff now and then:
Senor Game Designer
Neversoft Entertainment

Public Company; ATVI; Computer Games industry
January 2006 – March 2006 (3 months)

• Game Designer briefly internaly transferred from Luxoflux to Neversoft to work on Gun 2 (cancelled)

Game Designer/Senior Game Designer
Activision

Public Company; ATVI; Computer Games industry
January 2005 – March 2006 (1 year 3 months)

• Worked primarily at the Luxoflux studio on the True Crime series.
  • Worked briefly at the Neversoft studio on the Gun series.
  • True Crime: New York City (TC2): mission (level), game systems (mechanics) design & extensive playbalancing on True Crime: New York City (True Crime 2).
  • True Crime 3: concepting, mission & systems design on a canceled project
  • Prototyping: blue sky design using the Unreal 2 engine.
  • Tony Hawk Project 8 & Gun 2: concepting and design for missions & sandbox systems.
  • Resigned: due to cancelled projects
So that makes True Crime: HK the second third TC game cancelled.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
TheOddOne said:
Linked in shows some good stuff now and then:

So that makes True Crime: HK the second third TC game cancelled.
It's amazing how many games get binned.

_UNRELEASED:_
Jade Empire 2 (360/PS3/PC)
True Crime 3&4 (PS2/XBX/GCN/360/PS3)
Gun 2 (360/PS3)
Nintendo's Thunder Rally (GCN)

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Third, Treyarch was working on TC3 in 2007. And fourth if you want to count True Crime 4 which Luxoflux was in the primarily stages of planning.

Jackl

StevieP said:
HD-Era budgets claim another one. Aside from motion-controllers becoming the standard, I will remember this generation for how many talented people are out of a job.

Turning into go indie or go home IMO. Alternative is you can make games you don't like, for megacorps who will boot you out the door even if you are successful.

With PC market opening up to all sorts of distribution I hope more alternatives to mass market hype games come through. Even as I type this magicka, a game made by 8 Swedish students, is still within top 10 revenue makers on steam.

nextgeneration said:
Unfortunately, it's not going to do any good. We're too small of a group to make any kind of dent in their business.

Hopefully developers see these closings and think twice about making a deal with the devil if they value their jobs and the health of their company.

onken

StevieP said:

Yeah I hate how every dev is forced to make $60 retail games.

Top Bottom