• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT9| There is no Cow Hero

Veelk

Banned
You guys need to stop worrying about your SR. All it does is lead to unnecessary stress and tilts.

Look, I just want to get out of this loop of being in so many bad games. Leavers, toxic players, purely insane comp selection. I know this stuff happens at platinum and diamond too, but it's so much worse here in gold.

But at the most basic level, I just want good games. I don't feel I've had a good game when the only reason I lose (or win) are for reasons entirely outside my control, like leavers or a guy who won't switch off attack symmetra.

I know, I know, play with more gaffers. I just keep getting on the game on bad times.

Well, the missus bought me Overwatch for my birthday today... any beginner tips?

I've been sticking to Soldier 76 (I think that's the number) as he seems to the the entry level fps type character and just playing against the A.I a couple of times to get used to the controls, I'm having fun. Think it's time to pension off CS:GOas my "go to shooter" and stick to this.

Soldier is a solid pick, but you should try and get decent with at least one hero from each class, due to the fact the main game modes don't support multiple of the same hero.

As for beginner tips:
The game is pretty much solely objective based. While getting kills is important, as it helps thin the enemy teams attacking pressure, K/D ratio isn't that important. If there's an objective, try to jump on it if you can, unless you're playing a flanker or someone who is best played in either your team or their teams back lines.

In group fights, killing the Mercy is a good priority, as her ult can resurrect her team.

Try to stick together as a team. Obviously, you don't want to all run through a single choke point together, but if you're die, try and regroup near your spawn, rather than trickle in one by one.

If an enemy Winston says "Hi there!" to you, say hello back.

When it comes to using your ult, depending on the character you are better off waiting until at least one other person has theirs ready that you can synergize with, and that you use them while attacking as a team. Zarya's​ ult is perfect for initiating a team ult combo.

Don't be afraid of switching heroes during a match, but if your ult is nearly ready, it's usually better to stick it out a little bit longer, see if you can get anything going by using it, and then swapping.

If you can, try and fill the missing role in your team. This will usually be the healer, but could occasionally be a tank or defensive hero. Soldier can group heal, so if you really can't play a healer he's still a decent choice, but definitely not ideal.

On payload defence matches, if you stand near the payload while it's not being contested, you'll begin pushing it back slowly.

_Legacy_

You guys need to stop worrying about your SR. All it does is lead to unnecessary stress and tilts.

I just want to get to diamond and out of the gold-platinum loop I've had for the past 2 seasons.

On another note, I've completed the HOTS challenge this week. I'm not a big fan of that game, the potential is there but so many things need to be addressed. Biggest bug-bearer for me is not being able to click on other heroes and see what their abilities are, during a game.

10 free loot boxes though, looking forward to popping them open and getting dupes, at least it will increase my currency.

LiK

I just want to get to diamond and out of the gold-platinum loop I've had for the past 2 seasons.

On another note, I've completed the HOTS challenge this week. I'm not a big fan of that game, the potential is there but so many things need to be addressed. Biggest bug-bearer for me is not being able to click on other heroes and see what their abilities are, during a game.

10 free loot boxes though, looking forward to popping them open and getting dupes, at least it will increase my currency.

I managed to get 1k extra gold from the dupes. So yea, worth playing for the lootboxes.

That's a thing, can I still get the HotS rewards?
I've got Genji, but haven't played since. If I play now, will I be able to play the 15 matches to get all 3 weeks worth of rewards, or just the latest?

LiK

That's a thing, can I still get the HotS rewards?
I've got Genji, but haven't played since. If I play now, will I be able to play the 15 matches to get all 3 weeks worth of rewards, or just the latest?

Yup to bolded. You can still play before the deadline.

Yager

Banned

This is the most important tip of all. Never forget to reply a Winston, we appreciate it.

Getting there this season will be hard (mainly because there are a couple of weeks left), but next one you'll be a shiny diamond. It is known.

_Legacy_

This is the most important tip of all. Never forget to reply a Winston, we appreciate it.

Getting there this season will be hard (mainly because there are a couple of weeks left), but next one you'll be a shiny diamond. It is known.

Ha yeah, might be tough now I've dropped into 26** range, we just need another good streak to finish as high as possible.

So Blizzard does nothing with reports right? I haven't seen a single piece of evidence that someone has received a warning or a penalty because of reporting.

One of the reasons the game is fucked.

I'm pretty sure reporting people does absolutely nothing.

I played against a streamer last season who was trying to get himself banned by just sitting in spawn as Mercy and throwing games. I know he did this for at least four different matches (which I'm sure his entire team reported him for every time) and he never got banned for it.

Soldier: 76 is a great start, but I would also recommend trying the following:

Soldier is a solid pick, but you should try and get decent with at least one hero from each class, due to the fact the main game modes don't support multiple of the same hero.

As for beginner tips:

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I've been slowly starting to try out other classes now I've gotten used to how the game plays. It's pretty overwhelming at first but I'll get there.

So looking at my QP stats on Overbuff from the last two times I played with GAFers, I'm 15-2 when playing as any tank or Lucio. 6-9 when playing with anyone else.

I think I know my niche.

JHall

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I've been slowly starting to try out other classes now I've gotten used to how the game plays. It's pretty overwhelming at first but I'll get there.

Play Rein, study Rein day and night, became a one trick Rein. Your team will never hate you, you'll always be appreciated, and when I see you in top 500/GM games I'll thank you because I won't have to play Rein.

LiK

So looking at my QP stats on Overbuff from the last two times I played with GAFers, I'm 15-2 when playing as any tank or Lucio. 6-9 when playing with anyone else.

I think I know my niche.

Play your best heroes and you will climb. That's my motto.

Your first 10 games or so after placements give you tons of extra SR for winning and go easy on the SR decrease for losing, but it doesn't last.

I think they do that because most people usually end up placing 100-200SR less than their previous season end.
Yeah I started dropping. Got steam rolled several time, does matchmaking even make matches?

Moonkeis

I been getting back into the groove with Ana, I've just been really off this season. Though, I'm not volunteering to play Mercy anymore. I really can not stand playing around rez, it just isn't for me.

antitrop

I been getting back into the groove with Ana, I've just been really off this season. Though, I'm not volunteering to play Mercy anymore. I really can not stand playing around rez, it just isn't for me.

My Ana has improved a lot from Season 3 to 4. I went from a 45% winrate in Diamond Season 3 to a 60% winrate in Master Season 4.

ohkay

I have fully embraced the fact I am just a tank player. AMA
Not a tank question, but I've been meaning to ask you this for a while. You said before that one of the keys to using blade well is set up, so what exactly does that mean or what do you look for before you sword?

Anne

Not a tank question, but I've been meaning to ask you this for a while. You said before that one of the keys to using blade well is set up, so what exactly does that mean or what do you look for before you sword?

1) Obv try not to use it when major ults can nullify it i.E. support, CC, maybe things like visor

2) Don't use it when known CC cooldowns are up i.e. flash or hook

3) Make sure your team is in position to back you up. If sword gets one kill, people need to go in. You need your tanks to take space or give you space based off who you are targeting.

4) Be ready to hit your first swiftstrike reset ASAP or your sword is actually useless.

Basically, set up is just getting people in place to go in and follow up or set up kills. If no CC is up you're free to do stuff, tanks are free to move forward, etc. Be in the right place in that type of deal and get a good reset.

I'm becoming the nutty fragger I was born to be

In your dreams maybe.

I have fully embraced the fact I am just a tank player. AMA

How do I die less as Zarya? I feel like everyone tries to focus me down when I'm at 80+ energy.

In theory, who should build the ult charge quicker: Defense Rein vs Attack Rein?

My Ana has improved a lot from Season 3 to 4. I went from a 45% winrate in Diamond Season 3 to a 60% winrate in Master Season 4.

I'll be honest, I thought I was doing great with Ana last night (I'm currently in Plat on PC). Then I looked at my stats and I was like "oh..." and then I made the mistake of looking at your stats (discord chat at one point said you had a good Ana). Well, I didn't feel any better, but it's good to hear you didn't always a have a perfect record :)

Look, I just want to get out of this loop of being in so many bad games. Leavers, toxic players, purely insane comp selection. I know this stuff happens at platinum and diamond too, but it's so much worse here in gold.

But at the most basic level, I just want good games. I don't feel I've had a good game when the only reason I lose (or win) are for reasons entirely outside my control, like leavers or a guy who won't switch off attack symmetra.

I know, I know, play with more gaffers. I just keep getting on the game on bad times.

Wha'ts your Bnet# ? I'm in the same boat. And if you're in the US, bad times over there might be good times over here :p

Feel free to add me : BaronLundi#2670

antitrop

I'll be honest, I thought I was doing great with Ana last night (I'm currently in Plat on PC). Then I looked at my stats and I was like "oh..." and then I made the mistake of looking at your stats (discord chat at one point said you had a good Ana). Well, I didn't feel any better, but it's good to hear you didn't always a have a perfect record :)

I still struggle with positioning on Ana. If I compare average deaths across all my Supports this season, it looks like this:

Mercy: 7.16
Zenyatta: 7.08
Lucio: 9.42
Ana: 10.33

I'm happy with where my Mercy and Zen are at, but my Lucio and Ana still feed a bit too much.

Veelk

Banned
Wha'ts your Bnet# ? I'm in the same boat. And if you're in the US, bad times over there might be good times over here :p

Feel free to add me : BaronLundi#2670

Sorry, Console. PS4.

Just had my next game crushed because a guy was really, really, really, really, really was confident in his attack torb on route 66. I asked him to switch if it wasn't working. Didn't even make it to the first point.

komaruR

How do I die less as Zarya? I feel like everyone tries to focus me down when I'm at 80+ energy.

In theory, who should build the ult charge quicker: Defense Rein vs Attack Rein?

My pc ana and zen is great! Only one stat That matters
elims :D

Jellie

As for beginner tips:
The game is pretty much solely objective based. While getting kills is important, as it helps thin the enemy teams attacking pressure, K/D ratio isn't that important. If there's an objective, try to jump on it if you can, unless you're playing a flanker or someone who is best played in either your team or their teams back lines.

In group fights, killing the Mercy is a good priority, as her ult can resurrect her team.

Try to stick together as a team. Obviously, you don't want to all run through a single choke point together, but if you're die, try and regroup near your spawn, rather than trickle in one by one.

When it comes to using your ult, depending on the character you are better off waiting until at least one other person has theirs ready that you can synergize with, and that you use them while attacking as a team. Zarya's​ ult is perfect for initiating a team ult combo.

Don't be afraid of switching heroes during a match, but if your ult is nearly ready, it's usually better to stick it out a little bit longer, see if you can get anything going by using it, and then swapping.

If you can, try and fill the missing role in your team. This will usually be the healer, but could occasionally be a tank or defensive hero. Soldier can group heal, so if you really can't play a healer he's still a decent choice, but definitely not ideal.

On payload defence matches, if you stand near the payload while it's not being contested, you'll begin pushing it back slowly.
It goes back by itself. You don't have to be near it.

Anne

Idk what to tell you about Zarya other than position better probably. She's pretty straightforward in the survivability department.

As far as building ES goes it doesn't matter which side you're on. Comp + outplaying the other team will get you ES faster every time.

Veelk

Banned
what's your PSN

you already have me added. KingofBlades2278. I just come on at odd times.

And holy mother of FUCK, this next Hanamura game we got crushed so hard it gave my PTSD. I seriously cannot fucking wait for the soldier nerf. Fuck this stupid asshole. He should have 19 points taken away, not 1.

Play your best heroes and you will climb. That's my motto.

Yeah, I definitely think I'll stick to tanks + Lucio in competitive from now on for sure. I can play DPS on certain maps - Tracer on payload maps, Soldier/Symmetra on 2CP. But in general I think it's going to be better for my overall win rate if I stay in my wheelhouse.

I've really tried giving Mercy a shot - I just can't do Rezzes properly. I can do the whole healing and boosting and jumping around and staying alive part, but I cannot judge Rez for the life of me.

antitrop

I've really tried giving Mercy a shot - I just can't do Rezzes properly. I can do the whole healing and boosting and jumping around and staying alive part, but I cannot judge Rez for the life of me.
I've had a lot of games this season where I wasn't getting Rez value and made a winning swap to Ana or Zen.

Even if you're good with Mercy, some games you just aren't going to get it and that's the benefit of not being a OTP.

Quit my first competitive game today. 4 people went dps and told then one me to "fuck up cunt" when I asked to change 2 to tank or healers. Then abused me because I wasn't tanking enough and that I'm an autistic fuck when I was literally the only one. Not even worth wasting my time. If you want to screw around just go Quick Match. Why play competitive if you flat out refuse to work as a team? It makes no sense.

LiK

Quit my first competitive game today. 4 people went dps and told then one me to "fuck up cunt" when I asked to change 2 to tank or healers. Then abused me because I wasn't tanking enough and that I'm an autistic fuck when I was literally the only one. Not even worth wasting my time. If you want to screw around just go Quick Match. Why play competitive if you flat out refuse to work as a team? It makes no sense.

Next time, just go DPS as well. Fuck them.

AbaFadi

Banned

Usually this would come down to bad positioning. It's easy to get 80 charge if you're really out of position. That might be why you're getting focused down really fast once you're charged up.

Paltheos

Very good luck on my HOTS and arcade lootboxes. First one I open has the last legendary McCree skin I'm missing. The last one has one legendary and two epics, none of which I had: A Sym legendary skin, a Rein epic skin, and a Pharah emote. Very rare in and of itself but especially rare for a level 663 player (to not be dupes).

LordofPwn

I want to see other peoples Lucio stats. preferably people that play him on a somewhat regular basis.

went 3-0 last night with him in quickplay. Illios, Illios, Lijiang. never has quickplay been so kind to me.

Also went 2-0 in comp last night. Numbani and Hanamura. played Symettra on Defense, Zarya on Attack with my friend who's a mercy main in diamond (was bronze 2 seasons ago). got gold elims and 2 plays of the game. gained 59SR. almost back to where I was placed
Gold is hell

Top Bottom