• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thimbleweed Park - a Ron Gilbert game |OT| Thirty-scumm years of adventures

Boem

Really looking forward to this and impressions in this thread. Even after all these years nothing in gaming is quite as special to me as the Lucasarts classics. The game will have to wait a bit for me since I already made a couple of large entertainment purchases recently, but I'll play it eventually for sure.

Boem

Haven't played an adventure game since Monkey Island 3. Very excited to play this one!

You should try Grim Fandango. The recent remaster is pretty nifty. It's tied with Monkey Island 2 and Fate of Atlantis as my favorite Lucasarts adventure.
Yes, I have three favorites. I'm not going to choose between those three beauties.

You should try Grim Fandango. The recent remaster is pretty nifty. It's tied with Monkey Island 2 and Fate of Atlantis as my favorite Lucasarts adventure.
Yes, I have three favorites. I'm not going to choose between those three beauties.

I'd also recommend Dropsy to anyone looking to scratch a lucasarts style itch.

Schaulustiger

Neo Member
Not quite a fan of the huge amount of references and the relatively constant fourth wall breaking but other than that everything clicks so far.
I actually like most of the references. Finding
the chainsaw on the murder scene
had me in stitches.

Really like the game so far. I had some doubts if point'n'click adventures would still work for me today since I haven't played one in a looong time and I've grown to be quite an impatient gamer. But Thimbleweed Park is well written and hints at a lot of story depth after the two hours I've played so far. Regarding the jokes, there are way more hits than misses for me, and so far the puzzles hit the right balance between too easy and contrived.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I'm still slightly shaking when I remember that I got Mr. Gilbert to sign my MI box a few weeks ago, so buying this.

Is it? I should probably try it. I saw some gameplay and it looked like it would bum me out.

Always happy to see these type of games still being made though

It's the best point and click game I've played since Grim Fandango/MI 3 back in the late 90s. Absolutely wholeheartedly recommend it.

Venom.

Glad to hear good things about this. Monkey Island 1 & 2 are two of my most favourite games ever (Not an R.G. game but I love CMI as well). I hope this is successful and then Ron Gilbert & XX company announce a partnership to announce the one, the only, the true. Monkey Island 3!

halfbeast

Banned
just started playing, jokes so far are a bit

embarassed-for-u.gif

also, just noticed the background music is VERY similar to the match-3-pirate puzzler on mobile, lol!

edit: any gaffer in the phone book?

BluWacky

Three and a half hours on the clock (yes I have played it solidly since it came out).

It's awesome.

I am also loving the fact that I am playing it at a point where I CAN'T go Googling for a walkthrough, because there isn't one yet. So I actually have to try and get past the bits I get stuck on...

Not sure how I feel about the "multiple endings" stuff mentioned elsewhere, but thus far I'm having an absolute blast. It is exactly how I remember point and click games to be, rather than they probably are or were; it's certainly very pleasing to be playing something with multiple possible puzzles to solve at any one time, rather than the more linear offerings most graphic adventures seem to be these days.

Boem

Three and a half hours on the clock (yes I have played it solidly since it came out).

It's awesome.

I am also loving the fact that I am playing it at a point where I CAN'T go Googling for a walkthrough, because there isn't one yet. So I actually have to try and get past the bits I get stuck on...

Not sure how I feel about the "multiple endings" stuff mentioned elsewhere, but thus far I'm having an absolute blast. It is exactly how I remember point and click games to be, rather than they probably are or were; it's certainly very pleasing to be playing something with multiple possible puzzles to solve at any one time, rather than the more linear offerings most graphic adventures seem to be these days.

Yeah, just a bit of advice for anyone playing this (or any other reasonably designed adventure game): don't go looking for walkthroughs. You might get stuck, but at that point you need to just walk away from your pc and go do something else. You'll suddenly 'get' the solution while doing groceries, or the next time you start up the game it'll suddenly feel super obvious.

Figuring out those hard moments are what make adventure games great. That feeling is one in a million, and you only really get that the first time you play a game like this. I don't own this game yet, but that's a feeling Ron Gilbert has talked about a lot, so I'm assuming the puzzles are fair (if possibly hard at points).

That's why I personally really liked the second act of Broken Age. The first act was fun and pretty but way too easy for me (not because I'm smart, just because I've played a countless number of these games over the years), and while the second act was a bit disappointing to me in its story and lack of surprises in environments/characters I really loved the puzzles there. Even if it made for a bit of an awkward difficulty jump. I just loved working on those puzzles, drawing out possible solutions on paper, leaving the game be for a bit while pondering some problems during my work days. A lot of satisfaction in that, for me.

Pedersen

Really, REALLY good so far. Love the turn the story is taking and the humor! Ransome is the best character I've seen in a while. He's written so *beep* good! I've really missed this kind of writing.

Just a crazy wild character speculation early in the game:
All the robot talk is making me wonder DeLores is perhaps a robot:O There is the obvious Westworld reference and there had accumulated cobwebs on her outside the mailbox, making me think she could power herself off or something, but i guess It was just to show that she's a *beep* nerd lol

Taking a quick break. Game's great so far. I don't mind any of the callbacks but, I could do without quite so much fourth wall breaking.

I've updated the reviews. Interesting to note there are zero negative/mixed reviews as of yet.

Ron just updated the blog to say he forgot to put this in the game:

help_enqdx2c.png

Boem

Ah, well, didn't win the raffle. Enjoy Zeeman! I guess I'll get it with my next paycheck like regular people *shudder*.

Good to see this is getting such good reviews, but I should probably step out of this thread to avoid spoilers until I get it myself. Hopefully this does well enough to see more adventures from those guys.

halfbeast

Banned
Cannot find the
map
any hint?

there's
an original at the news station
, haven't figured out, how to get it, but I guess it involves
copying
?

edit: was just browsing the library, my book is in there! :O
I'm so so sorry...

SOME-MIST

I'll hopefully beat torment tonight so that I can start TP either tonight or tomorrow.

honestly choosing to play TP over zelda, nier, nioh, ffxv, and the other upcoming games I have preordered.

my girlfriend is super psyched too since I recently got her into lucasarts adventure games (she beat MI1 and MI2).

Shinjica

It's on the wall in the newspaper store.

There's also a photocopier in that store

But you need to get rid of the journalist so you can copy the map without her noticing

found a way to send away the journalist but i dont have any 5 cent to make a copy

BluWacky

please, enlighten me why you wouldnt share that info with us

Puzzle solving by hints is better than puzzle solving by outright telling you the answer.

Most of the time in point-and-click games the only reason I can't solve a puzzle is that I haven't picked something up from somewhere - knowing where to go is far more enjoyable than being told straight away what to do, as I can at least make the next step myself.

Shinjica

ok, found the way to obtain the
map

That puzzle can be a little broken if you throw in the bin the empty bottle

I was just going through the phonebook and thought to see if there were any ex-lucas names in there. Dave Grossman's message made me laugh.

Fishook

I am more impressed playing this after 10 mins than I was with Broken Age. I was hesitant playing a pixel based game as I struggle to play older games these days but this gamechas just brought a warm fuzzy feeling that very few modern titles achieve.

Looking toward to playing more tomorrow,

BluWacky

Right, now I'm hugely stuck (in Chapter 3):

I have every piece of evidence EXCEPT the blood sample from the body, and I have no idea how to even start.

Other things that seem like they should be done relatively soon:

- access the penthouse (no idea here but think it can wait)
- get into the factory - I have an "offiss" key but it doesn't unlock the padlock on the factory, nor do I have any idea where else it could go

Any advice WITHOUT MASSIVELY SPOILING PUZZLES IF POSSIBLE would be gratefully received. Maybe sleeping on it will help...

ymgve

Stuck in the hotel flashback. No idea what I'm supposed to do on
floor 10
- and haven't been able to do any of the things in my TODO list yet.

edit: Got it. Was looking for the wrong item to give someone when I had the correct one already.

BluWacky

Stuck in the hotel flashback. No idea what I'm supposed to do on
floor 10
- and haven't been able to do any of the things in my TODO list yet.

I wouldn't have thought you could get to the location you mention without doing anything on the To Do list.
If you've checked in have you not got your disguise already, which is done in the lobby? Also my room wasn't on the 10th floor so presumably that's done at random.

Top Bottom