• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rare boss reiterates no old IP revival unless completely paradigm shifting idea

Whatever. Screw him. Banjo is a great IP and it as a Platformer will never be old. We want new games from Banjo. I wished they would give it to someone who would make a Banjo and Kazooie game.

It's the one IP I care about from MS and they just put it in the basement.

You might as well re-brand this developer then because there's literally ZERO relationship to their past stuff anymore.

None of the same people, none of the same IPs.

What is even the fucking point? The games they make nowadays are garbage.

Sea of Thieves is garbage?

Balb

I wouldn't want this Rare to revive any of their old IPs anyway. They (Microsoft) should still farm them out to other developers, though.

Shiggy

I guess their next game (if there even will be any) after Sea of Thieves would be years off. When that releases, it's 4 years since Kinect Sports Rivals. I can't see any scenario under which that will become a profitable project.

Yeah, was a boring mess. I think it at least has given credence to the idea that Collectathon platformers from the 90s should stay extinct.

I mean...Mario Odyssey is looking to be bit of a collectathon, considering it has big open environments with things to gather to progress to the next stage. And yet everyone's hyped for it. YL was kind of a mediocre game because it was a mediocre game, not because of the genre. It's all about execution.

But then again I guess any platfomer not blessed by the majesty of Koizumi/Miyamoto isn't worth it, I suppose.

They're in better shape than the awful Kinect years but it's still rough times for a Rare fan.

Are they though? With those Kinect games they had a pretty consistent output and a Microsoft that was way more interested in first-party games.

I really wonder if Sea of Thieves isn't a hit how long will they stay open under Microsoft.

Renna Hazel

So because the game isn't out they aren't working on new ip? Gotcha

I can't tell you if something is a great new IP before playing it. I know Rare has not released any great new IP in the last 9 years, so that's what I'm speaking on. I hope that changes soon.

When I think about what separates Rare from the rest, then it has to be the sheer diversity of their catalogue and their ability to apply their unique style to a wide range of genres.

Being disappointed by this statement seems be contradictory to the reason to have fondness for them as developers in the first place.

Sure, but I haven't seen Rare doing that. In 9 years they've developed 3 (2 and a half?) Kinect games in the same franchise. That's not diversity in their catalogue and saying they wont use their old IP which covers a wide range of genres doesn't give much faith.

flkraven

Just because it doesn't say Banjo or Conker on it doesn't mean Rare isn't doing good work. IMO their best games have come out in the last 10 years and had nothing to do with their old IP (Kameo, Viva Pinata, and N&B), although I did really like the original Perfect Dark. And so far Sea of Thieves looks great! If they want to farm out a Banjo sequel for the nostalgia lovers fine, but Rare should just do what they are comfortable doing, and if it means games like Sea of Thieves or Viva Pinata then that sounds great to me.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
While is pisses me off a bit, if Microsoft is happy to let a 3rd party dev handle the Rare IP a la Killer Instinct then I’m fine.

Give Platinum Jet Force Gemini as a sorry.

I've long since thought that this line of thinking was the correct one. Too many evolutions in gaming and too many different faces at Rare would make any attempt at reviving an old IP badly received. If you make it too similar to the old games it alienates modern gamers and doesn't grow the fanbase; see Yooka Laylee. If you make it too different from the old games you alienate the small amount of people that are actually guaranteed to buy it.

As much as I love old rare, I think it's for the best that they focus on new ventures. If they prove that they are still talented developers that don't have to rely on the memory of old games, then when they do try to do something new with old IP it will be more likely to succeed.

-MD-

Are they though? With those Kinect games they had a pretty consistent output and a Microsoft that was way more interested in first-party games.

I really wonder if Sea of Thieves isn't a hit how long will they stay open under Microsoft.

I meant that as a fan we're in better shape, financially at least the first 2 Sports games did really well for them.

Those Kinect years were dire though, absolutely nothing they made could've got me interested in Kinect.

BlackAlbatross

Neo Member
I lost any hope left years ago, so I'm not really disapointed anymore and I don't care about present day Rare anyway.
After they left Nintendo I didn't enjoy anything they did (just some Viva Pinata, but I grow tired of it pretty soon). I had even bought a 360 just to play N&B, wanting to giving it a chance despite the genre shift because I loved the series but of course I ended up hating it.

Furthermore, if Sea of Thieves flops I imagine Phil will close them too...

kc44135

What a shame. Banjo-Kazooie is one of my all-time favorite games, and was also the first game I ever played. Rare is the company that made me a gamer, but they no longer exist as far as I'm concerned.

EvB

I echo this sentiment. Rare will never be the developer they once were, and the Stamper brothers moved on because they knew this too. Shame they are now doing mobile games, but there you go.

Their latest game is truly a paradigm shift

I doubt current Rare can even make these games, if they wanted. Microsoft really just wasted 500 million dollars. I don't think Rare's total output has even matched that, yet, after 15 years.

I'm glad, we've seen what a Banjo game would look like in 2017 because its already been made. It's called Yooka-Laylee. And it wasn't very good. Hope Rare just keep making new and interesting games rather than dwelling on the past

Skyo

Hm, are the original developers of the game still in Rare? I think thats what important when it comes to revisiting IPs-is to have the visionaries who made it great in the first place.

Rare is dead. Only the logo remains. Playtonic is the real Rare
If that's the case rare is dead cause yooka laylee sucked
Hm, are the original developers of the game still in Rare? I think thats what important when it comes to revisiting IPs-is to have the visionaries who made it great in the first place.
Funny part is the interview mentions this , but the op added his obvious biases in the post.

Balb

If that's the case rare is dead csuse yooka laylee sucked

Eh, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. They haven't made a platformer like B-K in a long time, and they probably learned a lot of lessons from Y-L. It'd be nice if they were given the opportunity to work on B-K for Microsoft.

Raptomex

Rare rarely ever reused ips I don't understand the frustration. The best part of rare is the fact that they're a new ip factory. I know some of you want to relive old platformers but i rather them create new experiences
Isn't there four or more Banjo games? Three Conker games if you include Live and Reloaded. Two Perfect Dark games, 3 if you count the HD version of PD. Three Donkey Kong Country's. Two Killer Instinct's. Not to mention any ports of said games.

I don't think "rarely" is the right word. It seems like recently, they just don't want to revisit any.

Synth

Isn't there four or more Banjo games? Three Conker games if you include Live and Reloaded. Two Perfect Dark games, 3 if you count the HD version of PD. Three Donkey Kong Country's. Two Killer Instinct's. Not to mention any ports of said games.

I don't think "rarely" is the right word. It seems like recently, they just don't want to revisit any.

Whilst its true that Rare did sequel games (and this includes stuff like Viva Pinata and Kinect Sports), there very little overlap of their IP across different generations. The N64 games that most reference for Rare didn't exist the prior generation, and the same is true for their popular SNES releases. Sega was similar to a lesser extent, with their Genesis heavy hitters not overlapping much with the Saturn's, which in turn don't overlap much with the Dreamcast's... and it similarly pisses of much of their fanbase.

Let it go? Most of the folks that made the older titles aren't even at RARE anymore, so I'm not surprised they want to build their own legacy. Even if you'd get what you want, it wouldn't be what you'd want.

Probably for the best. I doubt they have the talent and skill to make those "classic Rare" games. Honestly, I think Rare never would have been able to make any of those games without Nintendo having a watchful eye over the process and giving advice.

I don't think they ever had the skill set and they certainly haven't retained this skill set that I never thought existed to begin with. They probably can't make a good shooter anymore and if they wanted to make a Perfect Dark game that peaked above mediocre, the best bet for them is to totally change the gameplay.

Maybe if Nintendo was giving them a thumbs up or thumbs down they could pull out a Goldeneye or Perfect Dark level shooter but that ain't the case. This guy isn't even willing to pretend that it's the case. Those people are gone, those skills are gone, if you want a decent Banjo, it's not gonna be a platformer. We can't make a decent one of those. You want a new Perfect Dark? Be happy with it not being a shooter cuz we suck at making shooters.

The people there now may have talent and skill, but it's not at the genres that blew Rare up during the N64 days.

Vinc

To me, this reads as "we won't do something unless we have meaningful new ideas". It doesn't mean they'd make a Nuts and Bolts 2, it simply means they won't make Yooka-Laylee with Banjo assets. I think it's basically been proven to be a smart move.

The Odyssey comparison isn't a great one, because that game looks full of new ideas that meaningfully change the experience.

Raptomex

Whilst its true that Rare did sequel games (and this includes stuff like Viva Pinata and Kinect Sports), there very little overlap of their IP across different generations. The N64 games that most reference for Rare didn't exist the prior generation, and the same is true for their popular SNES releases. Sega was similar to a lesser extent, with their Genesis heavy hitters not overlapping much with the Saturn's, which in turn don't overlap much with the Dreamcast's.
Is there though? Unless you just mean sequels? Kazooie and Tooie made it to 360 in HD. Perfect Dark HD as well. We can't forget Rare Replay. Diddy Kong Racing for DS. If you mean sequels, I would agree. PD Zero and Nuts and Bolts are the only ones I can think of.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I dunno I never found this approach completely convincing. Nintendo often says the same thing (IE Fzero).

Are you telling me that no one would want to play an awesome modern perfect dark with a kick ass single player campaign?

Wait, when did Nintendo announce a new F-Zero?

I'm ok this. As long as it's not mismarketed then I don't mind. Nuts and Bolts was unveiled with a CG trailer that showed nothing about how the game would actually play like and obviously people were disappointed. That being said, majority of thread is right. Nuts & Bolts is great. It's just not a great traditional platformer. The OG Banjo games don't hold up well at all.

I feel Perfect Dark and BatlleToads have the most room to flex their creative muscles with.

Top Bottom