• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry - [4K] Horizon Zero Dawn In-Depth Tech Analysis

DesertFox

Simply amazing results by Guerrilla. Hopefully the rest of the industry is able to learn from some of the techniques they used to generate such a detailed open world.

amazing work John. all things considered would it hurt to call it the best looking open world game out and not "one of the best looking"?

The clouds movement looks fantastic but there's no cloud shadows or light variation cast on the ground or mountains in the time-lapse which sticks out a lot, not that it matters. Think even Project Cars has cloud shadows, can't remember exactly.

ss_lemonade

Apparently it's surprisingly good. Above the norm.

Sounds like a contradiction to what DF states

Texture filtering is kept at a very low level on a standard system with otherwise detailed textures appearing blurry at oblique angles. It's likely that system resource limitations prevent the inclusion of higher quality filtering, but the results here are underwhelming nonetheless

vpance

The clouds movement looks fantastic but there's no cloud shadows or light variation cast on the ground or mountains in the time-lapse which sticks out a lot, not that it matters. Think even Project Cars has cloud shadows, can't remember exactly.

There are cloud shadows, but they're faked and only show up on distant terrain.

Drewfonse

amazing work John. all things considered would it hurt to call it the best looking open world game out and not "one of the best looking"?

This game. This fucking game. Astonishing. And I agree, a number of reviewers have called it "one of the best looking open world games", too. Really? What else even comes close? It's one of the best looking games ever made, full stop.

Jeez, that 4K footage is insanely gorgeous.

I wonder if it's the first PS4 game with 2160p or HEVC/VP9 encoded video. I'll be having a closer look once the game's on my own TV.

KZ Shadow Fall's cutscene video quality wasn't great so hopefully this is a big step up!

Yeah, it's pretty great to hear that even whatever video is sprinkled around for the game will be in 2160p/4K. They really went all-out.

moonbeam

I haven't been following this closely but in the last two DF videos it looks like grasses, tree branches and leaves, and plants in general, move a lot in the Pro footage but hardly seem to move at all in standard PS4 footage. Do both consoles actually have the same animations for plants?

Harlequin

I honestly could not bring myself to finish watching the 4K Tech Analysis video. The commentary felt more like sth you'd find in an official marketing video than in an impartial, proper analysis.

Micerider

HDR is excellent in this game. It's just what you would hope.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm also in the market for a 4K HDR TV right now so anything related interests me. I know it's difficult to convey anything HDR in youtube vids, but I would certainly be grateful if you guys at DF can share your opinion on HDR implementation per title when you can.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm also in the market for a 4K HDR TV right now so anything related interests me. I know it's difficult to convey anything HDR in youtube vids, but I would certainly be grateful if you guys at DF can share your opinion on HDR implementation per title when you can.
+1

It's going to be increasingly relevant and important. If 4K UHD movie disc reviews can go in-depth with a review of its implementation I hope game reviewers can as well.

belvedere

Junior Butler
I honestly could not bring myself to finish watching the 4K Tech Analysis video. The commentary felt more like sth you'd find in an official marketing video than in an impartial, proper analysis.

I find this refreshing to be honest. It's nice to see the gaming press gush on very rare occasions, especially DF. The tit for tat narrative gets very dull.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Loved the video. It reminded me a bit of the tone of the DF Retro videos with John talking about a game he's obviously enthusiastic for.

The 4k prerendered video and 60fps menus are great little touches that show Guerrilla's attention to detail in regards to tech.

I also think this is the best approach for a Pro enhanced game. Full 2160 checkerboard, improved textures, and improved AF. Combined those all have a huge impact on image quality but the base PS4 version is still in great shape. I hope we see more efforts like that outside of Sony's first party.

Harlequin

I find this refreshing to be honest. It's nice to see the gaming press gush on very rare occasions, especially DF. The tit for tat narrative gets very dull.

Very rare occasions? DF do it in many of their videos just usually not quite as blatantly as in this one. An analysis is not supposed to be an ad, nor is it supposed to be a review. It shouldn't feature a reporter's personal opinion so heavily but rather concentrate on actual objective facts like (in this context) framerate, frame pacing, resolution, what kind of technologies are being used, bugs or glitches, etc. I cringe a little inside every time they start waxing poetic about how beautiful they think a certain game looks in one of their analysis videos.

dr guildo

This game. This fucking game. Astonishing. And I agree, a number of reviewers have called it "one of the best looking open world games", too. Really? What else even comes close? It's one of the best looking games ever made, full stop.

Hmm, I'm on WD2 at this moment, what a gorgeous open world too... I wouldn't be surprised if people chose WD2 as best looking open world over HZD, quite frankly, Ubisoft has achieved something great with this game, and the water is very convincing :

WatchDogs2Goodness said:
32825674481_83cbaf3df5_o.png
32135494363_9eeb378dea_o.png
32035060444_aa496b13fa_o.png

32796241412_468cd2afe1_o.png
32796304242_1b32591675_o.png
32554595760_6366aec44d_o.png

32894840386_c2e31770e4_o.png
32744081842_b2ddb676b3_o.png

32836652886_6fee619657_o.png

open world nothing comes close

vivekTO

Hmm, I'm on WD2 at this moment, what a gorgeous open world too... I wouldn't be surprised if people chose WD2 as best looking open world over HZD, quite frankly, Ubisoft has achieved something great with this game, and the water is very convincing :

The IQ and lighting of some shots is not that hot , and the people who are saying that HZD is the "best looking open world game " its because its delivering those graphics with a stable framerate and full package its delivering, imo.

dr guildo

The IQ and lighting of some shots is not that hot , and the people who are saying that HZD is the "best looking open world game " its because its delivering those graphics with a stable framerate and full package its delivering, imo.

Yeah, IQ is not that terrible on screenshots, it is more impressive on motion. I'm playing on Pro, and IQ is quite good...

Yeah, IQ is not that terrible on screenshots, it is more impressive on motion. I'm playing on Pro, and IQ is quite good...

IQ in WD2 on the pro isnt terrible(altho it is on base ps4 and somewhat on pc) but its nowhere near as good as horizon. i mean the base ps4 version of horizon has better iq than the pro version of watch dogs

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
How are people finding the HDR implementation? HDR was the word on everybody's lips just a few months ago but I'm not seeing that many titles using it - or doing so well. Was hoping Horizon being a reference title in that regard.

How are people finding the HDR implementation? HDR was the word on everybody's lips just a few months ago but I'm not seeing that many titles using it - or doing so well. Was hoping Horizon being a reference title in that regard.

John said its very good

Planet

I cringe a little inside every time they start waxing poetic about how beautiful they think a certain game looks in one of their analysis videos.
You hear that, dark10x? Stop being human with feelings and such, you make that poor guy cringe! :D

Tyaren

Got the game! :)
If anybody is interested, here are direct screenshot comparisons of the Pro resolution and the Pro performance mode.
Open a pair of screens in two new tabs and click back and forth for the best comparison:

High resolution mode:

32261659204_79e839a5f6_o.png

Performance mode:

32950680802_284e5a873f_o.png

High resolution mode:

32261651564_86e9a215d2_o.png

Performance mode:

32724591780_63b4929db1_o.png

High Resolution mode:

33107227665_47a1f799d0_o.png

Performance mode:

33107239785_09a9975af7_o.png

As I see it, it's basically the same solution as Final Fantasy XV started out on Pro. One high resolution mode with texture and texture filtering improvements and one very stable 1080p mode without any other improvements.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Man, I wish I'd gotten my copy before the weekend too :(

Gotta wait till Tuesday then the next weekend to give some dedicated time to it.

Yibby

As I see it, it's basically the same solution as Final Fantasy XV started out on Pro. One high resolution mode with texture and texture filtering improvements and one very stable 1080p mode without any other improvements.

I think it's already very stable, so why do we need another 30fps mode? Or is the performance mode unlocked?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I think it's already very stable, so why do we need another 30fps mode? Or is the performance mode unlocked?

So far its a locked 30. No apparent improvement in performance. However, I think it might just be a 'prelude' patch, them testing the system. I wouldn't be surprised with unlocked performance in a future patch.

Tyaren

It's already stable 99% of the time in the high resolution mode. The performance mode I guess is 100% perfect 30fps all the time.

I uploaded some photomode screens in the screenshot thread by the way. :)

Alej

Banned
They do this because it's mandatory from Sony to have a Pro mode with at least the same or better framerate than base version. That's why SE has done that for FFXV and that's why GG does that here despite being almost meaningless for us.

They respect the rules.

Revo_zero

seeing the DF analysis kinda makes me wana wait on this until i have Pro and a 4K TV, im not one to revisit open world games

Harlequin

You hear that, dark10x? Stop being human with feelings and such, you make that poor guy cringe! :D

It's not a review or an opinion piece so their personal opinion isn't the point of these videos and it shouldn't factor into them. They're free to voice their opinions elsewhere but if you call a video an analysis, then that's what it should be. Excuse me for having higher standards than you.

It's not a review or an opinion piece so their personal opinion isn't the point of these videos and it shouldn't factor into them. They're free to voice their opinions elsewhere but if you call a video an analysis, then that's what it should be.

I think he's trying to inject a bit more personality to the video so I don't mind. The facts are all there, I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with calling the game beautiful.

Tbh, the performance mode locks the game to 30 FPS while resolution mode barely dips below 30 FPS. The problem is Resolution mode has higher resolution but not just that, the performance mode doesn't improve graphics,on the contrary textures and foliage get reduced:
http://www.dualshockers.com/2017/02...n-vs-performance-1080p-screenshot-comparison/

Like the article states:
The snow and rock texture rock better in resolution mode between pic 3 and 4
The foliage hanging in distance look more detailed in resolution mode between pic pic 9 and 10

Revo_zero

can anyone tell me if its worth upgrading to pro without a 4k screen? i was goin to wait till i had both but man the wait is killer

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
It's not a review or an opinion piece so their personal opinion isn't the point of these videos and it shouldn't factor into them. They're free to voice their opinions elsewhere but if you call a video an analysis, then that's what it should be. Excuse me for having higher standards than you.

get the flip over it. If you don't like john expressing his viewpoints, don't watch DF.

Get the eff out of here with that "higher standards" garbage. That holier than thou attitude is the problem.

coastel

If all the facts are there then what the fuck is the problem? Just ignore the bits where he so wrongly expressed his views. Isn't the whole point of the techniques they use to make a game is to make it look visually appealing and run well. So what's wrong with using words that describes what it looks like when all that tech is brought together.

Skux

I'll take high res mode, especially when performance is near identical. I really can't tolerate badly filtered textures.

Top Bottom