• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn Spoiler-free Impressions (for real this time)

Might get this game for the PS4(with visa checkout promo) i know this may sound silly but is this game similar to Uncharted 4? I love games like that so was just wondering

For everyone giving impressions: first and foremost thanks for your time and effort.

Secondly, please try to be as objective as possible and don't let the hype get to you haha.

Some reviewer said it took him/her 25 hours to complete the game at 54% or something like that?

It came from the leak 4Chan and apparently everything was false.

The Lamp

How has the voice acting and facial animation held up as you progressed?

Main cutscenes with main characters have great voice acting and facial animation.

The less pivotal characters, interactions, and scenes in-game can vary in quality from that.

But everything I've seen thus far is better than that horribad Brom scene released a while ago.

VanWinkle

Might get this game for the PS4(with visa checkout promo) i know this may sound silly but is this game similar to Uncharted 4? I love games like that so was just wondering

The movement set is VERY similar. It's a more tactical/strategic form of combat than UC4, but I think you will transition quite easily from that game to this. This is obviously an open world RPG so it's not the same, but it's similar enough in feel that you will probably be happy.

The movement set is VERY similar. It's a more tactical/strategic form of combat than UC4, but I think you will transition quite easily from that game to this. This is obviously an open world RPG so it's not the same, but it's similar enough in feel that you will probably be happy.

so there are worlds where you have to accomplish something..beat things, kind of like in UC4..where you have to go through worlds and beat bad guys and go through different journeys..is that also the same with Nioh or is that a totally different game

Dragnipur

Neo Member
25 hours for 54%. So he needs ~45-50 hours to complete/finish the game.
Not necessarily. After you beat the game you can fast travel everywhere and are a lot stronger than you are throughout the main story. It's probably gonna be closer to 35-40 hours.

VpomRurd

Does anyone have any information on the performance/IQ on a standard PS4? Just about the only thing stopping me from pre-ordering to be honest.

mugwhump

Her healthbar was yellow for a bit, what was that about?

There's a meter at the top that is kind of like a compass. Below it is a sound meter: an eye that has lines around it that increase with the noise you make.

As you draw the bow, it gets tighter and your arrows will do more damage than if you were to quickly fire.

Not sure what you mean by the shellshock effect. You mean when you're being attacked?

Thanks. Yeah a few times the sound got all muted and stuff as if a grenade went off next to her.

Does anyone have any information on the performance/IQ on a standard PS4? Just about the only thing stopping me from pre-ordering to be honest.
Also from Lamp
Okay okay I just want to say that the game does not have anything like screen-tearing that I noticed while playing live on PS4. It's beautiful and smooth.
Edit: this is for PS Pro

Main cutscenes with main characters have great voice acting and facial animation.

The less pivotal characters, interactions, and scenes in-game can vary in quality from that.

But everything I've seen thus far is better than that horribad Brom scene released a while ago.

As expected going to be a while until open world rpgs games can have that level of facial animation and VA for everything .

Salex_

Some reviewer said it took him/her 25 hours to complete the game at 54% or something like that?

Out of curiosity, did you get that from this post? Or did you see those numbers in later posts?
25 hours / 54%, for a french journalist

I was watching people take that post in, throw it in the speculation hat, and pick a random statement with context out of it in a span of 4 or so hours lol. I've never seen that happen before my eyes. I was waiting for a source to make something out of that post.

So are people pretty positive on the combat? That's generally the barrier I have with WRPG's. As much as people praise something like Witcher 3, I just can't drum up any enthusiasm to play it.

Dragon's Dogma is the GOAT as far as open world RPGs go for me, for an idea of what I look for.

Looks like Guerrilla has been playing Red Dead Redemption.

And I also hated what I played of RDR :p

Kazuo Hirai

I really want everyone to know how much more Titanfall 2 sold than Nioh. It was a staggering amount.
Why talk about 25 hours again? From random post no source

So are people pretty positive on the combat? That's generally the barrier I have with WRPG's. As much as people praise something like Witcher 3, I just can't drum up any enthusiasm to play it.

Dragon's Dogma is the GOAT as far as open world RPGs go for me, for an idea of what I look for.
Many previews praised the combat. GameTM said that while the game is billed as an action RPG, it feels like an action game first.

I imagine it's similar to Dragon's Dogma. Just like the creators of that game injected their DMC/character action experience into the combat, Guerrilla is leveraging their first person shooter experience here

Combat is like a melding of UC (at its better moments) and Binary Domain with some of Dragon's Dogma's Flavor (and doesn't have nearly the same issues as DD it seems), I imagine a really good player looking really nice with this combat since it's really fast and really chaotic so there could be a neat skill gap with how player manage the mobs.

VanWinkle

Lamp is on Pro though I believe except he has a 1080p TV. We have solid performance from that so far, but I believe we don't have impressions from anyone with a standard PS4 just yet.

I mean, at least regarding screen tearing, we've seen literally hours of PS4 footage with no screen tearing.

It looks like quick Firing is a pretty good tactic which is cool. Its nice that even if you aren't going for a shot on a weakpoint or part that you can still get some minor damage.

ajanke

:mad:

The Lamp

This is kind of how it works (at least early game. I'm not sure if this counts as anything spoilers, but I am trying to avoid giving spoilers but rather just explaining basic controls and mechanics):

You can choose to stealth or brashly approach enemies. They have health bars and weakpoints. If you let them survive, they might alert a horde of more enemies (especially if they're watchers).

If you get caught in close combat, you can aim your bow to take out weakpoints for more damage, or at their general body for less damage. Or you can use R1 for spear attacks or R2 for stronger spear slashes (think the difference between Link's sword slash and his aerial jump). You can dash with circle, but there's no block or guard. You crouch with square to increase your stealth.

You can also strategize by using special weapons other than your bow and spear. These are bought by collecting valuable items.

If you get hit, your red HP bar goes down. You restore it with medicine (the green bar) which you gather from your surroundings. The red bar will restore equal to the depletion of the green bar, which is controlled by tapping up on the d-pad to heal.

It was quick to learn and so far it's satisfying. It's not very deep hand-to-hand combat (obviously, it's not Nioh or anything lol), but the depth of the gameplay itself comes from the options you have in taking out enemies.

This is just first few hours though. I have no idea how the combat might open up even more.

Kazuo Hirai

I really want everyone to know how much more Titanfall 2 sold than Nioh. It was a staggering amount.
This is kind of how it works
It was quick to learn and so far it's satisfying. It's not very deep hand-to-hand combat (obviously, it's not Nioh or anything lol), but the depth of the gameplay itself comes from the options you have in taking out enemies.
Oh, great job.
I couldn't finish a game if combat is boring.

Wollan

If you get hit, your red HP bar goes down. You restore it with medicine (the green bar) which you gather from your surroundings. The red bar will restore equal to the depletion of the green bar, which is controlled by tapping up on the d-pad to heal.
Nice little tweak on the concept.

I mean, at least regarding screen tearing, we've seen literally hours of PS4 footage with no screen tearing.

Oh, yeah, well in all the PS4 footage from the recent Horizon events there was none on Base PS4... none that I could see anyway, and GG were keen that the primary system to record on was base PS4 with loads of footage. Pro only got a couple of minutes of record time from each youtuber so it bodes well. Any performance drops GG said they were ironed out in the Gold master (hopefully this is true for those with an OG unit but things like that can be patched)

RexNovis

Banned
I'm a bit worried about enemy variety as it seems like only a handful of machines are actually in the game just going by what has been shown/talked about so far. I'm hoping they are keeping a lot of enemy types secret because if not I could see it getting fairly tedious.

Top Bottom