• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn Spoiler-free Impressions (for real this time)

Thank you lamp for impressions!

I find early GAF impressions to generally be quite unreliable as people who get a game early tend to be the most excited for it, and thus far more forgiving of flaws.

Then why are you here? I mean it's not like it's a review it's just impressions. The mass hysteria and concern to finding flaws in this game is kinda funny.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I find early GAF impressions to generally be quite unreliable as people who get a game early tend to be the most excited for it, and thus far more forgiving of flaws.
Never underestimate the honeymoon phase, but sometimes they turn out to be genuine.

The Lamp

I hear you. I got Uncharted 4 early though and I remember being salty about some of its gameplay.

I mostly stopped caring about this game a year ago though once I got distracted with other games. I recently had someone offer to sell me the game and I thought, why not, I was initially excited for it and it's something I can play until BotW.

So far though, I'm glad I got it.

I really like the music combined with the weather. Hearing violins pick up and then a sudden rainstorm where Aloy stares into the sky and wipes her face is really neat.

How's the dialogue & dialogue writing, in general?

Aside from human AI, I would say the way dialogue is written and spoken is probably the only other part of HZD that makes me go (-_-) in terms of how it's portrayed.

I was in the same boat as you. Honestly, even though I haven't played it, the opening of the game that I managed to watch alleviated my concerns quite a bit.

It's definitely got a distinct style to it (suppose it goes with the time and nature of it) but it seems to be written well.

There's definitely a scene in the opening that I thought was done way too well for what I was expecting from GG. Hats off to them if they keep that up for the entire story.

Never underestimate the honeymoon phase, but sometimes they turn out to be genuine.

For certain games, people are still waiting for the honeymoon phase to end. ;)

I mean, when it really comes down to it I tend to trust reviewers and Metacritic the most.

Do you trust reviewers impressions too? Because there's a ton of that and they're quite good.

So far what I see is "mdeh, I don't trust previews", "mdeh, I don't trust players either", next step seems to be "mdeh, overrated game".

Zavist

For the guys who already have it, If you have to compare the feel of combat/movement to another game which one would it be the closest? For example:
- Shadow of mordor
- Wicther 3
- Dark souls

Not actual mechanics and tactics but just responsiveness/floatiness/ability to cancel animations.

The Lamp

For the guys who already have it, If you have to compare the feel of combat/movement to another game which one would it be the closest? For example:
- Shadow of mordor
- Wicther 3
- Dark souls

Not actual mechanics and tactics but just responsiveness/floatiness/ability to cancel animations.

Most like Shadow of Mordor, I'd say, closely followed by Witcher 3 with Dark Souls last.

It feels responsive but you can't easily cancel animations

I've literally seen this same exact post in another impressions thread.

But I'll wait for the review embargo to lift and see what they say of the story.

I mean that's not wrong, I tend to be pretty hyperbolic, but I like to think my opinions do eventually cool down and I really think about flaws later on.

Glassboy

Sounds great! Added to the first post

I have a few questions:
- Do machines interact with each other, like an ecosystem?
- Does the world feel large and nicely spaced out? Given that you're mainly traveling by foot and sometimes by mount, I'm hoping the world feels large enough that it feels like a journey to traverse, while dense enough that there aren't too many areas of dead space
- Is the world exciting to explore? Personally exploring is one of my favorite things to do in open world games: I'm the guy who's currently walking around most of Watch Dogs so I can people-watch. So interesting things to find, nice vistas, etc,?
-I haven't seen too much about in depth interacting but there are watchers type robots who guard other herds of neutral machines that carry fuel on their backs. As soon as you attack the herd or get close to them they will alert the watcher ls to come hunt you down.
-I can't tell how large the world is yet. It is very beautiful looking. It reminds me of the zones in the tomb raider reboot. Hopefully it opens up a little more.
-I'm not sure how exciting it is to explore yet. It's too early. The tutorial is fairy linear as is the first few missions. I feel like breath of the wild is gonna be better than this just because of the fact that you can climb onto anything in the game and make your own fun with that mechanic.

-A couple other things,
there were a couple random side quests that I stumbled upon that seemed well written for what basically boiled down to a beginners side quest (go here, collect this)
-The dialogue options are cool into finding out more info about the story or particular quest
There is a shit ton of crafting materials to pick up. Almost too much. As I feel like I'm stopping every 15ft to pick something up

I mean, when it really comes down to it I tend to trust reviewers and Metacritic the most.

When it comes down to it, reviewers are people just like you and me with an opinion. Ours has just as much weight and value as theirs to what we like and get out of games, and what we enjoy will differ to them. They're just gamers with a name tag that holds more weight for some because of the way the game industry works. They want to sound objective in reviews, but the nature of what we do as gamers, subjectivity is part of it... whether they're aware/want it or not. So who do you trust... A gamer, a reviewer (a gamer) or Metacritic (a collection of scores, made by gamers)?

BashNasty

Then why are you here? I mean it's not like it's a review it's just impressions. The mass hysteria and concern to finding flaws in this game is kinda funny.

Oh I'm extremely excited for Horizon, I think it looks great and I really hope it turns out great. Just because I look at early impressions with a skeptical eye doesn't mean I don't like looking at them.

-I haven't seen too much about in depth interacting but there are watchers type robots who guard other herds of neutral machines that carry fuel on their backs. As soon as you attack the herd or get close to them they will alert the watcher ls to come hunt you down.
-I can't tell how large the world is yet. It is very beautiful looking. It reminds me of the zones in the tomb raider reboot. Hopefully it opens up a little more.
-I'm not sure how exciting it is to explore yet. It's too early. The tutorial is fairy linear as is the first few missions. I feel like breath of the wild is gonna be better than this just because of the fact that you can climb onto anything in the game and make your own fun with that mechanic.

-A couple other things,
there were a couple random side quests that I stumbled upon that seemed well written for what basically boiled down to a beginners side quest (go here, collect this)
-The dialogue options are cool into finding out more info about the story or particular quest
There is a shit ton of crafting materials to pick up. Almost too much. As I feel like I'm stopping every 15ft to pick something up
...Uh oh. Nobody freak out it's his opinion stay calm

The Lamp

For those of you who have the game, can we engage in non qte-based melee combat, or are we gonna shoot at robots for 40-60 hours?

Yeah you definitely can, it's just not super complex. You use a spear to do light and heavy attacks, kinda like Cole in inFamous 2 with his little electric tuning fork.

Wow this one sets a great impression right from the start. It's beautiful, it controls great, the story is interesting right from the get go. It has all the polish you would expect from a naughty dog game, I am shocked I care about the characters and world so much already.

I'm going to talk about some gameplay systems from the first few hours.

I finally got loose in the first part of the world and there are a bunch of plants to get which can serve as healing items or stuff to make potions. Basically crafting seems very in depth, and if you ever need a resource you can create a custom side mission and the game will direct you to where you can find it. Really neat and it helped guide me to robots to get shards to make arrows, which I quickly ran out when I tried to take on a semi big robot. So weapon parts and mods you find on robots, healing stuff you find in plants. You don't have to get overwhelmed by it, there seems to be enough to get what you need quick and move on.

I got a few side quests, there are random quests to find as you roam around, standard open world stuff. Haven't really completed one yet I have been distracted by just hunting which I love. The robots feel like animals in packs, there is this natural feel to it all how they react and interact with each other. Sneaking by them is thrilling, getting caught creates all sorts of chaos as you either escape or engage. I have fought three types so far, one is a more difficult one with a surprising attack. I managed to kill one only to have another come from behind and totally wreck me. I have had to run away before I can get resources for a kill only to see another robot go to the dead body and gather the resources for itself. So it's all really cool and dynamic.

Combat is nice and fluid and feels kind of like new TR. you can unlock specific skills that slow down time, get stealth kills, gather more resources; standard skill tree stuff but a lot of these skills seem super useful. Your melee attacks work great when being charged, dodging is fast and fluid. I still don't have traps, should get there soon. I am playing on very hard so I am being cautious, so I focused more on stealth and it seems a bit too easy. All three of the types I have met so far can be insta killed by stealth which is as easy as hiding in a patch of tall grass, throwing a rock to lure them close then just stealth kill them. I assume that strategy won't be viable for long, but it has helped me to stock up on arrows. If you want better resources you need to shoot components off the robots so there is a little strategy there.

Graphically it's gorgeous on a normal ps4. I don't see any performance issues at all, no slow down, nothing. The music so far is really great and dynamic as it shits from quiet to action quickly. The animations are ok but not uncharted tier but the art design of the world is as good as anything I have seen.

Ok going to play more hopefully I can have some more impressions on how good the content the game offers is as so far I have just been messing around on my own.

Icolin

Banned
Wow this one sets a great impression right from the start. It's beautiful, it controls great, the story is interesting right from the get go. It has all the polish you would expect from a naughty dog game, I am shocked I care about the characters and world so much already.

I'm going to talk about some gameplay systems from the first few hours.

I finally got loose in the first part of the world and there are a bunch of plants to get which can serve as healing items or stuff to make potions. Basically crafting seems very in depth, and if you ever need a resource you can create a custom side mission and the game will direct you to where you can find it. Really neat and it helped guide me to robots to get shards to make arrows, which I quickly ran out when I tried to take on a semi big robot. So weapon parts and mods you find on robots, healing stuff you find in plants. You don't have to get overwhelmed by it, there seems to be enough to get what you need quick and move on.

I got a few side quests, there are random quests to find as you roam around, standard open world stuff. Haven't really completed one yet I have been distracted by just hunting which I love. The robots feel like animals in packs, there is this natural feel to it all how they react and interact with each other. Sneaking by them is thrilling, getting caught creates all sorts of chaos as you either escape or engage. I have fought three types so far, one is a more difficult one with a surprising attack. I managed to kill one only to have another come from behind and totally wreck me. I have had to run away before I can get resources for a kill only to see another robot go to the dead body and gather the resources for itself. So it's all really cool and dynamic.

Combat is nice and fluid and feels kind of like new TR. you can unlock specific skills that slow down time, get stealth kills, gather more resources; standard skill tree stuff but a lot of these skills seem super useful. Your melee attacks work great when being charged, dodging is fast and fluid. I still don't have traps, should get there soon. I am playing on very hard so I am being cautious, so I focused more on stealth and it seems a bit too easy. All three of the types I have met so far can be insta killed by stealth which is as easy as hiding in a patch of tall grass, throwing a rock to lure them close then just stealth kill them. I assume that strategy won't be viable for long, but it has helped me to stock up on arrows. If you want better resources you need to shoot components off the robots so there is a little strategy there.

Graphically it's gorgeous on a normal ps4. I don't see any performance issues at all, no slow down, nothing. The music so far is really great and dynamic as it shits from quiet to action quickly. The animations are ok but not uncharted tier but the art design of the world is as good as anything I have seen.

Ok going to play more hopefully I can have some more impressions on how good the content the game offers is as so far I have just been messing around on my own.

This, and the other impressions ITT, are making the wait for this game all the more tantalizing. Thanks for posting.

Can't wait to pop this into my PS4 Pro come February 28th.

AudioEppa

Does the beginning of the game help you become invested, story wise. Or is it just some a simple cutscene and boom, now go do stuff in the big world.

Razgreez

as it shits from quiet to action quickly.

Sounds good so far. As for the bolded I suppose it's embarrassing when that happens especially if you're using a communal loo XD

Glassboy

...Uh oh. Nobody freak out it's his opinion stay calm
Don't get me wrong I am enjoying it very much but it so far it feels there are specific paths that you take in the open world that make it feel "open linear". The reason I get excited about BOTW is the fact that it's breaks those paths by potentially letting you climb wherever you like. Despite that minor complaint (and it might not be a complaint further in the game) I am enjoying the game so far. And like Wesker mentioned, they nailed the feel of the game. It reminds me of uncharted 4 in the fact that it feels like it plays higher than 30fps because of the motion blur and tight controls.

Icolin

Banned
Does the beginning of the game help you become invested, story wise. Or is it just some a simple cutscene and boom, now go do stuff in the big world.

Above, MiamiWesker said that
the story is interesting right from the get go. It has all the polish you would expect from a naughty dog game, I am shocked I care about the characters and world so much already.

Some other impressions of the beginning from this thread:
-The intro is well done and has me curious about why Aloy is an outcast and why the world came to the state that it's currently in.
I honestly expected the story would be a phoned-in endeavor, a serviceable plot that takes itself way more seriously than can be believed to spin the action of the game into motion.

But the voice acting and script and narrative are all actually quite well done. I have empathy for Aloy's situation.

Loudninja

Don't get me wrong I am enjoying it very much but it so far it feels there are specific paths that you take in the open world that make it feel "open linear". The reason I get excited about BOTW is the fact that it's breaks those paths by potentially letting you climb wherever you like. Despite that minor complaint (and it might not be a complaint further in the game) I am enjoying the game so far. And like Wesker mentioned, they nailed the feel of the game. It reminds me of uncharted 4 in the fact that it feels like it plays higher than 30fps because of the motion blur and tight controls.
I am so glad that they nailed this especially for a RPG.

Sounds good so far. As for the bolded I suppose it's embarrassing when that happens especially if you're using a communal loo XD

Damn typos, lol.

Someone mentioned the loot, ok I can't totally confirm it. All I know is I killed a robot, it's marker for items was there, I had to run cause it became like a beehive of activity, so I backed away and hid. Some robot went up next to the dead body and did some animation and the loot was now gone. Perhaps the loot is on a timer or I wentvto far and it disappeared on its own. I am putting two and two together, I'll try to replicate it and really pay attention this time.

-A couple other things,
That's really what sets quests apart. Because even in the best RPGs, your objectives aren't usually anything more than the basic mechanics (go here, fight this, talk to this person). But it's the writing and characterization that gives usual mechanic a great sense of context.

Can we go into houses and loot when we get into villages or is everything outside?

Also is there a description for the each difficulty level in the game?

F34R

I pre'd the collectors edition and just can't wait!! Game looks amazing, and the not so spoiled impressions is raising my anticipation.

Loudninja

Damn typos, lol.

Someone mentioned the loot, ok I can't totally confirm it. All I know is I killed a robot, it's marker for items was there, I had to run cause it became like a beehive of activity, so I backed away and hid. Some robot went up next to the dead body and did some animation and the loot was now gone. Perhaps the loot is on a timer or I wentvto far and it disappeared on its own. I am putting two and two together, I'll try to replicate it and really pay attention this time.
Damn thieves!

heh, A quest is called a Trail though in a vid I watched ;)
Grr!

Glassboy

Another funny thought I had when I was playing Uncharted 4, I thought, "fuck, this game feels like there was a lot of care, time, and money put into this game." I get the exact same feeling with this one. It interesting to that this game feels completely different than Killzone other than the design of the machines. If you told me Guerilla made this game without me knowing I wouldn't have believed you. Gone is the weighty feel of killzone (I actually liked it for kz2 and kz3). Horizon controls feels so damn tight. Aloy is really fun to control during traversal and especially combat.

Icolin

Banned
That's really what sets quests apart. Because even in the best RPGs, your objectives aren't usually anything more than the basic mechanics (go here, fight this, talk to this person). But it's the writing and characterization that gives usual mechanic a great sense of context.

This is why I loved Fallout: New Vegas, and why John Gonzalez being involved with Horizon is so exciting to me.

Top Bottom