• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread 2: Can't take anymore of this!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celine

They are!!
Only the US part of the company has had to close the doors.
The German office is still open and working.
Eventhough they said they will release something they have not till now or nothing that I remember.

BUT Factor 5 is alive....more or less
You should read a certain thread on Neogaf started by Shiggy...

EDIT:
didn't see Shiggy post :)

idwl

I think it's complicated.
They could probably secure the game easily, though.

Would be cool to come out as a wii U launch title , remember the first time I played it. I wanted to kill my cousin(it was his game) when I thought it messed up the tv, and he was just sitting there laughing.

Shion

Am I the only one who finds the output of this company, as well as that of Nintendo's other Western 2nd party developers, to be fairly mediocre?

Nope, I agree with you. :p

Unfortunately while their technical skills were always top notch, Factor 5's gameplay got worse with every single game they made.

Yes, that's true, that's why I said they'd be good for the technical stuff. For example, Nintendo could design the new Zelda and let Factor 5 handle the technical aspects of the game. When I read stuff like this:

"Nintendo's developers will continue to work on a number of different titles, and I think that we will have to rely on outside companies for graphics and other elements that require massive resources,"

I think that Factor 5 would be great for this job.

Nope, I agree with you. :p

Yes, that's true, that's why I said they'd be good for the technical stuff. For example, Nintendo could design the new Zelda and let Factor 5 handle the technical aspects of the game. When I read stuff like this:

I think that Factor 5 would be great for this job.

Old Factor 5, yes.
New Factor 5 that just does FaceBook games, no.

"The source also mentions that Nintendo has been testing two versions of the console, one with 768 MB of RAM, and one with 1 GB."

Similar to what people here were saying except that people thought it was between 1GB and 1.5GB

Except that we know it can't be less than 1GB, so yeah...

themadcowtipper

Smells faintly of rancid stilton.
"The source also mentions that Nintendo has been testing two versions of the console, one with 768 MB of RAM, and one with 1 GB."

Similar to what people here were saying except that people thought it was between 1GB and 1.5GB

Do you really think they are going to have that much edram.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
If Eternal Darkness 2 is ever made, I will not be reading up on the sanity effects before hand. Pretty much ruined the experience for me....

Eternal Darkness was the game that taught me that spoilers are bad.

darthdago

May I ask something to all the tech guys here...

Even though we know (Iherre has stated minimum 2GB in dev kit) that that 768MB rumor wont be true.
My question is would it be better to have 768MB embeddedDRAM as a whole pool or 1,0 - 1,5 GB DDR3/5 RAM + maybe 24/32MB eDRAM for GPU or CPU??

Is the eDRAM really that expensive compared to the others?
Or is it a considerable cost cos its more efficient?
eDRAM is in the chip itself, right?! So IBM might also produce the GPU was also rumored a while back.
What would the tech guys say if the put 512MB eDRAM on CPU and 1.5GB eDRAM on GPU.
Is that even possible?
And wouldnt that also reduce the heat?

I'm sorry for so many questions but that came just up my mind and I have to ask...

If Eternal Darkness 2 is ever made, I will not be reading up on the sanity effects before hand. Pretty much ruined the experience for me....

Eternal Darkness was the game that taught me that spoilers are bad.

Actually, that's the very reason that I think Eternal Darkness 2 is a bad idea. How can you fool the gamer when they know the kind of tricks the first was known for?

Actually, that's the very reason that I think Eternal Darkness 2 is a bad idea. How can you fool the gamer when they know the kind of tricks the first was known for?

By weaving them into the very game. Instead of flashes just make the stuff naturally start going "WTF?!"

Or turn it into an exploitative story about a schizophrenic.

tkscz

Sorry to throw everyone off the subject of eternal darkness 2, but am i the only one who thinks the 360/ps3 would have trouble running the japanese garden demo? i just watch the on floor version and just can't believe the current gen could handle textures of that resolution, lighting effects, such as god rays, that snow effect,where that hawk is walking in the snow and leaving imprints, amazing shadow effects (think it's soft shadow), that draw distance without a quality drop and doning it at what seems to be 60 fps.

ecosse_011172

Based on the amount of RAM lherre has seen in the dev kits, yes.
The retail unit will have a minimum of 1GB, with a possibility of more.

He didn't specifically mention any numbers did he?
As far as I know he just said they were trying two different sizes and everyone assumed the min was 1GB.

Whats so special about Eternal Darkness anyway? I've seen vids of it and it doesn't look all that impressive.

I've never played it myself, but from what I understand it was the game's mind fuckery that earned it the reputation it has. Blue screens would pop up saying your Gamecube was frozen when it really wasn't, etc.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Whats so special about Eternal Darkness anyway? I've seen vids of it and it doesn't look all that impressive.

If you played a game that fools you into thinking your save file is corrupted or deleted, you'd understand. And that's just one example.

themadcowtipper

Smells faintly of rancid stilton.
As far as I know he just said they were trying two different sizes and everyone assumed the min was 1GB.

He said devkits had 2GB, and that usually it is double the ram that ends up in the finale console. It is double foe debugging.

THE:MILKMAN

May I ask something to all the tech guys here...

Even though we know (Iherre has stated minimum 2GB in dev kit) that that 768MB rumor wont be true.
My question is would it be better to have 768MB embeddedDRAM as a whole pool or 1,0 - 1,5 GB DDR3/5 RAM + maybe 24/32MB eDRAM for GPU or CPU??

Is the eDRAM really that expensive compared to the others?
Or is it a considerable cost cos its more efficient?
eDRAM is in the chip itself, right?! So IBM might also produce the GPU was also rumored a while back.
What would the tech guys say if the put 512MB eDRAM on CPU and 1.5GB eDRAM on GPU.
Is that even possible?
And wouldnt that also reduce the heat?

I'm sorry for so many questions but that came just up my mind and I have to ask...

Blu did the maths months ago for the comical 768MB eDRAM rumour.

~1400mm^2 @45Nm.........Yeah, no!

He said devkits had 2GB, and that usually it is double the ram that ends up in the finale console. It is double foe debugging.
This is very true, but he also left it open that the devkit could have more. And that they were shooting for that nebulous "more".

If I was a betting man (I am) I'd say the sweet spot is some esoteric amount between 1.25 gigs and 1.5.

Bartered down from my initial stance of 1.5-2 gigs.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I've never played it myself, but from what I understand it was the game's mind fuckery that earned it the reputation it has. Blue screens would pop up saying your Gamecube was frozen when it really wasn't, etc.

The most (in)famous one was
when the game suddenly flips to the Gamecube data screen and says your whole memory card has been corrupted and erased! :eek:
I didn't even know about that one (therefore it had me screaming at the TV like a mad man) and when I realized it was a sanity effect I fully understood the brilliance of the idea.

But even with the sanity effects spoiled, it really is quite a good horror game.

Why wouldnt Silicon Knights handle the game???

Honestly they would be stupid not too at this point (if Nintendo allowed it). A launch title Eternal Darnkess 2 would be pretty much guaranteed to do well (sales-wise) and it would help rebuild trust with their company if the title is as good as the last one. It also would be brilliant with the Vitality Sensor technology, and if that really is a feature of the system, I would imagine this would be the hardcore title representing it.

But that all makes too much sense to actually happen.....

Still they could do a HD remake of the original game, as I reckon only a little segment of WiiU's potential userbase got to play Eternal darkness on Gamecube and it could easily sell decently.

On the other hand, honestly I don't think neither a remake nor a sequel make much sense, yet Nintendo does need to establish some new IPs for WiiU - following the trail they already started on Wii with Xenoblade, The last story and Pandora's tower - so if they should feel like developing a cyberpunk/horror/sci-fi adult-oriented new franchise appealing to Western market, Retro may be easily the one developer team able to handle it.

TunaLover

Sorry to throw everyone off the subject of eternal darkness 2, but am i the only one who thinks the 360/ps3 would have trouble running the japanese garden demo? i just watch the on floor version and just can't believe the current gen could handle textures of that resolution, lighting effects, such as god rays, that snow effect,where that hawk is walking in the snow and leaving imprints, amazing shadow effects (think it's soft shadow), that draw distance without a quality drop and doning it at what seems to be 60 fps.
You read my mind heh, yeah I was thinking the same thing, the bird demo is quite impressive, too bad we don't have a direct feed from it, I think that PS3/360 could run it but not so smooth, some frame drops here and there. One of the most impressive things about it is how stable and silky animation is.

EuroMIX

Speaking of Eternal Darkness, there are so many sanity effects that I heard of but never got. I was almost gleeful when I played it again just before coming to American and I finally got one where
the character shoots the screen leaving a bullet hole in the glass and also seems to stare right at you

One of the only horror games I've bought and played because it's that good. Sequel, please.

andthebeatgoeson

The no-TV-required aspect of the Wii U is going to be a big deal for a lot of people. Nintendo knows this, of course; it was the first thing they showed off in the intro video. I bet a lot of parents and spouses would appreciate having their TVs back again...

Off-Topic: Gamecube was called Dolphin and its chips were the Flipper, Gekko (moonlight), and Splash.
"The chips are [arranged] in the image of the dolphin which splashes under moonlight" [link]

Wii just had the generic Revolution as a codename, but the main chips all had a showbiz theme: Hollywood, Broadway, and Starlet.

So for Wii U, codenamed Project Cafe, I dunno... Barista, Espresso, and Hipster?

I know you posted this so long ago but I'll love it if I can game while they watch Yo Gabba Gabba. But if I do game, I may still end up slaughtering someone because of that stupid voice.

TriGen

Speaking of Eternal Darkness, there are so many sanity effects that I heard of but never got. I was almost gleeful when I played it again just before coming to American and I finally got one where
the character shoots the screen leaving a bullet hole in the glass and also seems to stare right at you

One of the only horror games I've bought and played because it's that good. Sequel, please.

Yeah, I don't get people saying that because you know the tricks from the first one it wouldn't work again. If the game is done well they'll do different surprising things, also the game wasn't just about tricks, without them it was still a good horror game.

The main thing that gets forgotten as to why PS360 would have trouble with the demo(s) is that they would have to handle the game on two screens. I might nitpick certain things with the demos, but I always remember that.

EuroMIX

Yeah, I don't get people saying that because you know the tricks from the first one it wouldn't work again. If the game is done well they'll do different surprising things, also the game wasn't just about tricks, without them it was still a good horror game.

Of course how it's handled is always going to be an issue and it would be difficult to replicate the impact of the first. I'm sure that it's perfectly possible to make an excellent sequel though.

I think that one of the most impressive things about Eternal Darkness was that it managed to include a competent combat system without it encroaching on the horror aspect. It seems that when some horror games emphasise combat too much the horror is lessened. It's a difficult balance to keep the player feeling well-equipped, but still feeling uneasy and vulnerable.

tkscz

The main thing that gets forgotten as to why PS360 would have trouble with the demo(s) is that they would have to handle the game on two screens. I might nitpick certain things with the demos, but I always remember that.

I didn't forget that, I was typing the previous message from my phone, and my phone wouldn't let me type past a certain point (i could still type, but I wouldn't see it). I was going to bring up how it's running on two screens, and how you could see more on the controller's screen by moving it and still on underclocked hardware.

Honestly if it were running on this gen hardware, I think it would be closer to 30 fps than 60. I also think we'd see some pop in textures (especially on the 360), the shadows wouldn't be as soft, and the lighting wouldn't be as good. But that's all my opinion.

Also, why were there two different versions of the garden demo? Anyone know that?

I didn't forget that, I was typing the previous message from my phone, and my phone wouldn't let me type past a certain point (i could still type, but I wouldn't see it). I was going to bring up how it's running on two screens, and how you could see more on the controller's screen by moving it and still on underclocked hardware.

Honestly if it were running on this gen hardware, I think it would be closer to 30 fps than 60. I also think we'd see some pop in textures (especially on the 360), the shadows wouldn't be as soft, and the lighting wouldn't be as good. But that's all my opinion.

Also, why were there two different versions of the garden demo? Anyone know that?

Oh no. I was thinking about the ones who say it's not much, if any, improvement over PS360.

I'd assume it was that they needed to have one ready for the press conference video and the one on the floor was given more time for improvements. They most likely cared more about the demo people would be seeing up close than the "one-time" video at the press conference.

wsippel

Banned
Looking for a potential manufacturer for the aforementioned audio DSP, I guess Nintendo might once again source from Macronix - or Modiotek, as their audio IC department is known these days. Their chips are designed for mobile appliances like smartphones, so they require very little power and are tightly integrated, but they still provide 64 channel hardware mixing, some internal cache to reduce bandwidth requirements, and offer hardware decoding for common audio codecs like MP3, AAC and eAAC+ (HE-AAC v2).

neeksleep

Do you think Nintendo will launch with a re-make of an old game with updated graphics/implemented new control scheme? They did it with the DS (Mario 64), 3DS (OoT), and sort of with the Wii (TP). If the whole Crytek thing is true, I personally wouldn’t mind seeing Tallon IV with the cryengine.

onilink88

Say, guys, has Nintendo ever released any limited editions of their home consoles? Can't remember for the life of me.

Just saw the limited edition Fire Emblem 3DS, and... just... wow! If there were ever to be a TLoZ or FE themed Wiiwoo, I'd definitely hold out on buying one until the LE editions came out.

neeksleep

Say, guys, has Nintendo ever released any limited editions of their home consoles? Can't remember for the life of me.

Just saw the limited edition Fire Emblem 3DS, and... just... wow! If there were ever to be a TLoZ or FE themed Wiiwoo, I'd definitely hold out on buying one until the LE editions came out.

pikachu_n64_original.jpg

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
GDC is in a few days, i'm hoping for a few new news... i mean, its the biggest video game event before E3 and Reggie said we would learn some stuff before E3... where else could they do it unless they do some surprise announcement out of nowhere in april/may?

Hopefully he knew what he was saying that time.

darthdago

Do you think Nintendo will launch with a re-make of an old game with updated graphics/implemented new control scheme? They did it with the DS (Mario 64), 3DS (OoT), and sort of with the Wii (TP). If the whole Crytek thing is true, I personally wouldn’t mind seeing Tallon IV with the cryengine.

?? Do you mean the chozo home planet from metroid??

btw a new metroid game I wouldnt mind...

darthdago

Here is a link for you.
Yes they released different limited editions for their systems...

http://www.consolecolors.com/nintendo.html

Donnie

He said that there was a range of memory amounts being used in dev kits starting at 2GB (1GB for the retail console). But he didn't say what the top of that range was. He also said that the kit he had access to has the higher amount in that range, 3GB is the most likely amount (1.5GB in the retail version obviously).

guek

Banned
Pick the Wii U color scheme!

For me personally I say bring back the two tone cases. A little gun metal grey could go great with the sterile white they've been using.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom