• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored |OT| The belle of the ball

just got the game after the recent psn sale. Game is really good! cant beleive i missed out on this last year, just got to part where
you get betrayed and poisoned by the loyalists and im currently above dawd as i speak lol
really good stuff.

ArjanN

Dishonored: The Brigmore Witches Gameplay - QuakeCon 2013 :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y98HsOCC2Vs

Looks great. :)

Might want to avoid if you don't like spoilers.

This video is 22 minutes.
Shows the
Coldridge prison
level, not sure if it's the entire level.
Level starts out with some 'social stealth' as long as you stay in the right areas enemies don't attack
shows new power:
pull, magically pull enemies towards you, levitate them

lol at 21:10.

schuey7

Got the game during the steam sales and finished it last night.First things first the game was really beautiful artistically but a high res texture pack would have done wonders.The gameplay was great and I got the low chaos ending which was kind of low key way to end the story.I feel that this game punishes you for killing people which may fit into the story as the soldiers are innocent but many times I wanted to just unleash my powers and gut everyone but held back in order to get the good ending.
Now onto the Daud dlc .

Dishonored doesn't punish you for killing people, it punishes you for killing messily. If you hide all of the bodies and don't set off any alarms, you can kill every single enemy in every area, and still have low chaos. I think it's a pretty weird misconception about the game that you're "punished" for killing people.

I'm pretty sure you don't know what you're talking about. Maybe you're thinking of merely choking out guards?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you'll still get high chaos even if you hide all of the bodies/don't set off alarms.

However, I don't understand why people think the High/Low Chaos system is a "punishment". It's just a somewhat different final level and ending. And why shouldn't the game give you a "darker" ending/level if you just murder everyone in your path throughout the game? I felt that was a much better system then your typical game, where you slaughter countless number of people but are still perceived as a hero at the end of it.

If anything, I think people who play through the game with low chaos are punished somewhat, because I think the final level is much more interesting on high chaos. Plus, the combat in the game is really fun and spot on.

I'm pretty sure I stabbed those guards in the neck. A lot of them. I would have been able to tell if I was choking them, that's really not something you can mess up.

Maybe it was because I used Shadow Kill. No alarms, killed dozens of people every mission, still low chaos. I've done it twice.

I'm pretty sure I stabbed those guards in the neck. A lot of them. I would have been able to tell if I was choking them, that's really not something you can mess up.

Maybe it was because I used Shadow Kill. No alarms, killed dozens of people every mission, still low chaos. I've done it twice.

Hm, interesting. I don't think anybody ever figured out all of the mechanics for low/high chaos, so perhaps that's something that just hasn't been documented.

Zeppelin

Finished this game earlier today. Gotta say I really enjoyed it. I'm gonna dig my teeth into the DLC now but I really hope they get a chance to iterate on it and make a sequel!

Just beat this. It was good. About 7 out of 10.

What annoyed me was how broken the stealth design was and the level design wasn't anything to scream about.

Raptor

How's the performance of the Xbox 360 version?

Asking because I just bought FC3 and I just can't play it because of the constant tearing and stuttering and framerate drops, is really bad.

So if anyone knows if this at least is decent enough so I can enjoy it.

Coconut

Banned
Just beat this. It was good. About 7 out of 10.

What annoyed me was how broken the stealth design was and the level design wasn't anything to scream about.

If you are going to make statements like this you should give detailed examples of the broken stealth and mediocre level design.

TheOddOne

How's the performance of the Xbox 360 version?

Asking because I just bought FC3 and I just can't play it because of the constant tearing and stuttering and framerate drops, is really bad.

So if anyone knows if this at least is decent enough so I can enjoy it.
Having done multiple runs on the 360 (low, high, no detection, no kills, non-lethal and kill target only) I can say it runs fine. No major hiccups, but there is a small amount of tearing at non-specific moments -- almost at random.

But if could get and run the PC version, get the PC version.

Raptor

Having done multiple runs on the 360 (low, high, no detection, no kills, non-lethal and kill target only) I can say it runs fine. No major hiccups, but there is a small amount of tearing at non-specific moments -- almost at random.

But if could get and run the PC version, get the PC version.

Thanks, 360 is my only option :( no PC to play.

Dries

Just started playing this baby and I'm enjoying the hell out it so far! I'm doing my first mission right now and the exploration is incredible. One of my first powers is the Ability one and what a difference does that make. I'm noticing already the increase of options I have now I have the ability to jump higher and scale almost any wall using whatever I can find to climb onto. Just so fucking awesome. I really feel like a super predatory badass just staying in the shadows and striking swift.

RedSwirl

I just completed a no-super powers run of this game. Not using Blink basically turns this game into Thief. Playing this way really does require the same skills you have to use in Thief and Thief II. The only upgrade I really used was Agility 1, which I actually feel is a bit overpowered. I'm actually impressed at how much the level design accommodates this approach.

AppleBlade

Just finished this game. I enjoyed it and it was my type of game but I have to say it did not quite live up to the expectations I had created in my mind. I think the story and characters are what lowered the experience a bit. The fact that I played this after Bioshock, Bioshock Infinite, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, and Singularity hurt the experience as it made the game feel very derivative. It reminded me like a mix of 60% Bioshock, 30% Deus Ex: HR, and 10% Half-Life 2. I definitely did not enjoy it as much as the Bioshock games or Deus Ex: HR but I did like it more than Singularity. I would give it an 8 out of 10.

Coflash

Hello

If you sleep dart or choke out granny/slackjaw in one of the later missions, does it still count as a kill or did they fix that?

Thanks

Lumine

Hey guys, sorry for digging up this older thread, but I just started this game.

The IQ is a bit disappointing though. Are there any tweaks I can apply? Can I perhaps force more AA? I'm a bit new to this I admit, but I'm on a 780 now so I'd like to make use of it. I also remember reading somewhere that one of the tweaks can break shadows in the game? Something about seeing them through walls if I remember? Obviously I'd like to avoid that. I'd rather play it slightly less pretty and sharp as long as it doesn't break anything. :p

Thanks for the help!

The IQ is a bit disappointing though.
What's wrong? Precisely? The term "IQ" is very subjective.
The game does have a distinct, "watercolor" aesthetic, maybe that's what you mean?
I had no issues issues with IQ and I played the game day one so I'm just asking.

Seanspeed

Banned
Hey guys, sorry for digging up this older thread, but I just started this game.

The IQ is a bit disappointing though. Are there any tweaks I can apply? Can I perhaps force more AA? I'm a bit new to this I admit, but I'm on a 780 now so I'd like to make use of it. I also remember reading somewhere that one of the tweaks can break shadows in the game? Something about seeing them through walls if I remember? Obviously I'd like to avoid that. I'd rather play it slightly less pretty and sharp as long as it doesn't break anything. :p

Thanks for the help!
Downsampling is simple and effective. I can run this game at max settings, 1440p/60fps(downsampled to 1080p) with my GTX670, so you should have no problem running even higher resolutions. This is what my game looks like:

This shot is pretty good to show off any apparent aliasing in the game(railings, flagpoles, foliage - worst case scenario basically), so there is still definitely some, but its not bad at all. With my GPU, I'm happy with it.

If you need help with how to downsample, let me know.

Lumine

What's wrong? Precisely? The term "IQ" is very subjective.
The game does have a distinct, "watercolor" aesthetic, maybe that's what you mean?
I had no issues issues with IQ and I played the game day one so I'm just asking.

I meant the aliasing is a bit more noticeable than I expected. Also shadows seem a bit low res. I wouldn't call the IQ terrible by any stretch, just hoping I can improve it when I'm running it on a 780. :)

Downsampling is simple and effective. I can run this game at max settings, 1440p/60fps(downsampled to 1080p) with my GTX670, so you should have no problem running even higher resolutions. This is what my game looks like:

*pic*

This shot is pretty good to show off any apparent aliasing in the game(railings, flagpoles, foliage - worst case scenario basically), so there is still definitely some, but its not bad at all. With my GPU, I'm happy with it.

If you need help with how to downsample, let me know.

Ah yes that seems like an improvement already! I will have to look into downsampling then, never done it before. So yeah, any help is appreciated. :)

Seanspeed

Banned
I meant the aliasing is a bit more noticeable than I expected. Also shadows seem a bit low res. I wouldn't call the IQ terrible by any stretch, just hoping I can improve it when I'm running it on a 780. :)

Ah yes that seems like an improvement already! I will have to look into downsampling then, never done it before. So yeah, any help is appreciated. :)
Its quite easy. Make sure your Nvidia driver is up-to-date. This is only important because when changing drivers, you might have to repeat this process. Its not a big deal cuz its simple to do, but its good to do just to be sure.

You want to open Nvidia Control Panel(can be found by right clicking on your desktop).

Choose 'Adjust Desktop Size and Position'
Ensure 'Aspect Ratio' is checked
Choose Perform Scaling on 'GPU'
Check the 'override scaling mode by games' box.

Next go to 'Change Resolution'.
Hit the 'Customize' button.
Check 'Enable Resolutions not exposed by display' box.
Hit 'Create Custom Resolution' button.
To keep things simple for now, just enter '2560' horizontal and '1440' vertical.
Hit 'Test'.
In all likelihood, your screen will go dark and then pop up with everything looking small and a box that asks you if you want to save the resolution. Do so.

And that's basically it! At the original 'Change Resolution' screen, hit 'Customize' again and make sure 2560x1440 is checked. You should see this resolution in your list of resolutions in the 'Change Resolution' screen as well. Don't choose 2560x1440 here. Leave it on 1920x1080 or else your entire desktop will scale and you don't want that. What happens now is that when you go into a game, you will now have the option to choose 2560x1440 as a resolution. This works in the vast majority of games just fine from my experience, although you might get a smaller HUD in some(which there can be workarounds for as well in some cases).

I would try this out in Dishonored and see how you like it. If you'd like to go even further, you can maybe try and add 2800x1575(which your 780 should be able to handle quite well in Dishonored). Just be aware that you will reach a point where you will be required to mess with the timings in the 'Create Custom Resolution' menu in order to get even higher resolutions working. Whether you want to go this far is up to you. But here is a good resource to read through if you want to get into it more(also has these same step by step instructions with pictures as well):

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=509076

Again, let me know if anything is unclear or if you need more help.

EDIT: Just checked and saw that Dishonored is a DX9 game, which means that you can use Durante's 'GeDoSaTo' tool for easy downsampling at pretty much any resolution, regardless of what your monitor can handle. I would still do the above steps just so you know how and so you have the option available for any game(GeDoSaTo doesn't work for DX10/11 games), but afterwards, I would look into GeDoSaTo if you really want a really versatile, somewhat easy to use(but not always) tool for downsampling and other post processing effects:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=807472&highlight=gedosato

I'm a little less experienced with this, but if you ask questions in the thread, I'm sure people will be able to help you.

Lumine

Hey thanks a lot man! I used your guide and I think it worked! I have to admit, I'm not noticing a big difference though, so maybe I'll try a bit higher later. I'll also mess with Gedesato later. I want to actually play some now. :)

edit: On second thought it does already look a lot nicer actually. Enjoying the game so far as well.

Gaaraz

Sorry for replying to an old thread, but I was after some opinions on a possible ghost playthrough?

I started this game some time ago and loved it, but for various reasons have only just got back to it... In this playthrough I think I'm fairly high chaos despite not wanting to kill anyone, so I wanted to do another clean playthrough once I've finished with this

However, I'm finding it so unbelievably frustrating, I can only guess it's my own incompetence that's causing this, but I'm alerting pretty much everything and when I've alerted them often struggle to come up with a good solution beyond simply fighting and killing them.

With that in mind, should I even be considering a second playthrough? Tbh right now I'd be happy just to get to the end of this one

Labadal

Sorry for replying to an old thread, but I was after some opinions on a possible ghost playthrough?

I started this game some time ago and loved it, but for various reasons have only just got back to it... In this playthrough I think I'm fairly high chaos despite not wanting to kill anyone, so I wanted to do another clean playthrough once I've finished with this

However, I'm finding it so unbelievably frustrating, I can only guess it's my own incompetence that's causing this, but I'm alerting pretty much everything and when I've alerted them often struggle to come up with a good solution beyond simply fighting and killing them.

With that in mind, should I even be considering a second playthrough? Tbh right now I'd be happy just to get to the end of this one

I did a ghost playthrough on hard. It's possible but I guess one has to be patient. Look for patterns, use blink and so on. I did have to reset every now and then, when I screwed up.

I also chose the non-lethal methods of dealing with main targets.

Gaaraz

Thanks, so did you do the 'flesh and steel' achievement too where you didn't upgrade any of the abilities? I've only just discovered how amazingly useful the seeing through walls power is! I'm thinking if I do another playthrough it will be on easy though.

Also, the game in general is starting to grate a bit now, I'm enjoying the actual gameplay a little more although both the traversal, stealth and combat are all quite frustrating at times (particularly the former) but I didn't like the way
you were betrayed
and I didn't like the way
Daud was made out to be an amazing assassin and yet you can so easily kill or incapacitate him just as easily as any other assassin in the game.
It didn't build at all, there was no epic moment... urgh

Labadal

Thanks, so did you do the 'flesh and steel' achievement too where you didn't upgrade any of the abilities? I've only just discovered how amazingly useful the seeing through walls power is! I'm thinking if I do another playthrough it will be on easy though.

Also, the game in general is starting to grate a bit now, I'm enjoying the actual gameplay a little more although both the traversal, stealth and combat are all quite frustrating at times (particularly the former) but I didn't like the way
you were betrayed
and I didn't like the way
Daud was made out to be an amazing assassin and yet you can so easily kill or incapacitate him just as easily as any other assassin in the game.
It didn't build at all, there was no epic moment... urgh

I didn't do the flesh and steel achievement. I agree about Daud. Luckily, you do play as him in the two story DLC packs and I think the level design in those two are better than the main game. He also speaks, unlike Corvo.

Gaaraz

Cool, thank you! I actually have the expansions so I'll maybe try those first, and then possibly do a replay of the main game if I get to grips better with the mechanics :)

DarkFlame

Banned
One of the greatest games of last generation,Dishonored was a mixture of Thief and Bioshock

with a great level design,multiple paths to objectives and a great story,this is one of my favourite games of all time.

I picked this up as part of the pre-order bonus after seeing Cohh replay the DLC on Twitch.

Oddly, I had just played through the BF:Hardline campaign trying to arrest as many crooks as possible without shooting them and Dishonoured looked like fun in that regard too.

Only just met the loyalists so not too far through but have managed not to kill/alert anyone yet. I did however, have to reload after I choked a guard and then accidentally threw him into the water where he drowned.

Loving the game so far.

I picked this up as part of the pre-order bonus after seeing Cohh replay the DLC on Twitch.

Oddly, I had just played through the BF:Hardline campaign trying to arrest as many crooks as possible without shooting them and Dishonoured looked like fun in that regard too.

Only just met the loyalists so not too far through but have managed not to kill/alert anyone yet. I did however, have to reload after I choked a guard and then accidentally threw him into the water where he drowned.

Loving the game so far.

Yeah, I'm currently playing through the game in preparation of the sequel too. I've had it in my backing since January, but I only started playing properly last weekend after the Overwatch Halloween event finished, where I started from just partway into the mission after you meet the loyalists.

I've only 'killed' one person so far, which was completely accidental, and I didn't even realise I had killed him. It was on the first mission, so I'm guessing they probably slipped into water, or there were rats about. I should've restarted, because I'm gonna miss out on the no kills trophy due to an accident in the first hour of the game, but I couldn't be bothered running through the intro again.

My only problems so far are the lack of ways to take enemies down non lethally, and that the non lethally ways of dealing with the key targets sort of discourage exploration. Take the
Lady Boyle
mission for example.
I entered the mansion, walked through a door to a sort of study, spoke to a woman and got her a drink, she told me what two of the sisters were wearing, I walked into another room just across the hall, spoke to another man who told me which sister was the target, the sister was the one in the red dress because I'd just been told what colour two of them had on, I spoke to the sister and asked her to go to the cellar, and I knocked her out and that was that. It was such a big, sprawling level, and while I did explore it after I dealt with Lady Boyle, there was no reason for me to have done so. Similarly with the Lord Regent mission. Once you enter the tower, you just walk along the vent, shut down the arc pylon, talk to the broadcaster, go into the Lord Regent's chamber, loot his safe, play his message at the autograph where the broadcaster was, and you're done. You pass two enemies doing that, and all you see of that huge interior is as ventilation shaft, a corridor, a staircase, and the Lord Regent's room.

I've only 'killed' one person so far, which was completely accidental, and I didn't even realise I had killed him. It was on the first mission, so I'm guessing they probably slipped into water, or there were rats about. I should've restarted, because I'm gonna miss out on the no kills trophy due to an accident in the first hour of the game, but I couldn't be bothered running through the intro again. [/spoiler]

I'm planning to keep a save for each level just in case. I like to run through as many achievements as I can in one run so I'm going to try and stealth it.

It took me 5 minutes to work out I could walk on the pipes above the guards at the end of the first level to get past them. I hope that the rest of the level design is like that.

I haven't read your spoiler so I can't comment!

Gattsu25

Banned
I've only 'killed' one person so far, which was completely accidental, and I didn't even realise I had killed him. It was on the first mission, so I'm guessing they probably slipped into water, or there were rats about.
That's how I was on my initial playthrough. Replaying the game as a stealthy murderous bastard right now (before I dive into Dishonored 2 for the christmas break) and I'm fucking loving it just as much as I did the first time through. I'm averaging around 65~75 kills per map :b

The city is dying around me. It's great.

SlickVic

1 month after Dishonored 2 came out and I finally beat...Dishonored 1. Played a decent chunk of it before, but it had been so long since I last played it that I wasn't sure I'd really bother to finish it. But I had stopped playing right before the Lady Boyle mission and heard so much about that particular one that I figured I might as well play through it. Game really wound up clicking for me at that point, played a solid 5-6 hours today and wound up finishing it. I think what made me enjoy the game more in this second run was really taking advantage of Blink. Really fun to dart by enemies with them being none the wiser.

Looking forward to checking out the DLC before moving on to Dishonored 2. Just need the Steam Holiday sale to officially start so I can pick up Brigmore Witches.

Sorry for the thread bump but having just started the definitive edition I have a few questions:

Im currently playing the main game 100% stealth being as none lethal as possible. I haven't killed anyone yet and don't plan to.

That said I can't help but feel like im missing out on a fantastic sandbox of lethal powers and weaponary. So my plan is to play both dlc packs as a completely lethal psycho.

Is it worth stealthing the dlc at all? Or is my plan fairly sound? Also are both packs of dlc completely stand alone? If I finish the first part completely lethally can I then play the second completely silently again without it impacting anything?

Thanks!

Sorry for the thread bump but having just started the definitive edition I have a few questions:

Im currently playing the main game 100% stealth being as none lethal as possible. I haven't killed anyone yet and don't plan to.

That said I can't help but feel like im missing out on a fantastic sandbox of lethal powers and weaponary. So my plan is to play both dlc packs as a completely lethal psycho.

Is it worth stealthing the dlc at all? Or is my plan fairly sound? Also are both packs of dlc completely stand alone? If I finish the first part completely lethally can I then play the second completely silently again without it impacting anything?

Thanks!

Your plan sounds fine. There's no problem with going lethal psycho in the DLC.

The two DLC packs are one continuous story, but you can choose whether or not to continue from a Knife of Dunwall save when you start The Brigmore Witches. It's fine to do one lethal and the other stealth -- you can either continue from your save and just switch up your playstyle, or I believe you can also just choose whether the canonical end to Knife of Dunwall was "High" or "Low" chaos if you don't.

(Honestly I'd actually recommend playing the full game twice, doing full out lethal assault the second time. You can get through it a lot faster and it's incredibly fun to play both ways and see how the game changes.)

Seeing this thread getting bumped is giving me motivation to replay Dishonored and the DLCs all over again. I still love this game even after all those years

As much as I prefer Dishonored 2, I still miss the Hound Pits Pub and its crew.

Seeing this thread getting bumped is giving me motivation to replay Dishonored and the DLCs all over again. I still love this game even after all those years

As much as I prefer Dishonored 2, I still miss the Hound Pits Pub and its crew.

Yeah, the Dreadful Wale was a real disappointment in comparison. There was only 2 regular crew members with 2 other NPCs that showed up for a single mission. The Hound Pits Pub was an entire community.

Also Piero is better than any Dishonored 2 NPC.

Yeah, the Dreadful Wale was a real disappointment in comparison. There was only 2 regular crew members with 2 other NPCs that showed up for a single mission. The Hound Pits Pub was an entire community.

Also Piero is better than any Dishonored 2 NPC.

Heh. I like Dishonored 2 NPCs (Hypatia, Mindy, Luca Abele, and Aramis Stilton etc..) even they don't compare to Dishonored 1 NPCs.

But yes, the Hound Pits Pub is just amazing.

Top Bottom