• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro: Redux |OT| Once more into the Metro, with feeling!

Cudder

Will be my first time playing these games. So in the mood for an atmospheric FPS. I'm sure it will be right up my alley! Nice OT by the way!

Winter John

Gold Member
Selling their remastered versions for £30 and including all the dlc? Not selling internet memes or hats? Are they...Are they actually trying to give their customers a good deal? Are they mad? That's not how things work. They haven't even stripped out the in game weapons to sell as dlc! Jesus, somebody needs to put a stop to this insanity before it gets out of control.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Anyway, this is how Metro LL Redux PC looks
vqbb.jpg

compared to original LL PC
uqbb.jpg

Hope it looks better in motion, because that is waaay too bright and bloomy.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
I own metro 2033 but havnt played it yet.

Should I just play that or do you think the new version will be worth picking up and playing instead?

I'd say wait for Redux.

Skele7on

Banned
Having never played these games, or really read much into them

Can a great member give me a reason why these games matter and why I should play them?

Textures in Metro 2033 PC
rqbb.jpg

Textures in Metro 2033 Redux PC
sqbb.jpg

Ok... now, tesselation in Metro LL and LL Redux PC
Original LL PC
pqbb.jpg

LL Redux PC
qqbb.jpg

WTF?
Watching some let's plays..
I can see they removed some of the volumetric lights and others not... so, hard to tell what has happened. But they are defniitely missing in some areas.

Also, a number of smoke clouds illuminated by lights have been replaced by billboard imposters. Ugh...

In fact, alot of the areas where lighting fwas formerly more cool and blue... is now yellow and pale.

Hypron

Repost from the other thread which got locked pretty much right after I posted:

I will get those remasters at some point, I really loved both games.

4A games (and Deep Silver) are really cool too, and deserve our support. Last year a local website organised a competition where you had to design a weapon that could fit in the game. My brother won that. A couple of weeks later, he got a mail from a Deep Silver representative about putting his weapon in the game. And they actually did include it in the next DLC. They totally didn't need to do it since that wasn't part of the competition, yet they did it anyway. Major props.

misho8723

Banned
Having never played these games, or really read much into them

Can a great member give me a reason why these games matter and why I should play them?

If you like great atmospheric horror unique FPS games in the way like Half-Life, then the Metro games are for you

Nice this sounds great. What one would you suggest playing first 2033?

Of course. Last Light builds directly 100% on that story and introduced characters.

BTW, watching a lot of the first 30 mins of 2033 redux, and a nubmer of things are missing in terms of volumetric particle placement and volumetric light placement :/

theJohann

I don't know man, i like tesselation better in the original LL..

Anyway, this is how Metro LL Redux PC looks
vqbb.jpg

compared to original LL PC
uqbb.jpg

I agree with you, the tessellation looked better (if a tad exaggerated) in the original. The lighting in these two pictures seems to have undergone a massive downgrade.

What a shame, truly.

Deadbeat

Banned
Well, crap. Assuming that these were captured at the highest settings, it looks like a lot of the volumetric fog and lights that were in the original version of 2033 are gone in the Redux version.
Well looks like I'll pass. I know they had to cut stuff to get it to work on consoles but doing that shit to the PC version, forget it.

Shredderi

Great, now I can't decide if I should play the original or Redux ...

It is a bit odd that some things are actually worse in the redux even on PC. I thought it would be a clear-cut case of taking everything good they had before and only improving from there. I don't see a reason for downgrading anything on PC because PC has options to turn off or scale back the more demanding effects. I am pretty excited for 2033 Redux but I'll have to see more about my financial situation and user impressions etc. now. Wasn't really expecting a compromise on PC. I do like the look of 2033 Redux (time of day etc changes to make the game look more appealing) but I was expecting it to be improvement only in every possible way and absolutely nothing held back from the originals. Still a very good deal and package for those who have not played these games yet, just have to see if this really is worth the money for me.

moniker

Still a very good deal and package for those who have not played these games yet, just have to see if this really is worth the money for me.

I feel the same way. I can get it for 10€ on Steam right now but I'll think I'll wait for more impressions and comparisons first.

Shredderi

I feel the same way. I can get it for 10€ on Steam right now but I'll think I'll wait for more impressions and comparisons first.

Same. I'll propably end up buying it because I have played through 2033 a few times and love the game and would like to experience it a little different and improved (talking gameplay improvements here), but I'll at least wait a bit for those comparisons :p

Great, now I can't decide if I should play the original or Redux ...

Just play Redux, on average the improved character models, outdoor lighting, weapon models and animations, etc... should lend to a better experience. Even though it may be disappointing that they decided, for no reason, to cut off some effects here and there.

On PC as well?
Consoles don't have any volumetric lights, so yes, on PC in some locations.

Prime example:

Metro 2033 original PC (volumetric light, cloth pyhsics, gun blast causes shadowing, blast shield can have bullet holes fired into it which cause volumetric lighting to pour through ala The Division)
http://a.pomf.se/esxdhr.webm

Metro 2033 Redux PC
http://a.pomf.se/rkewus.webm

I blame you consoles, I blame you so hard

Genio88

So is it worth to play 2033 redux on PC? I played both 2033 and LL on PC, i don't want to replay LL but i could replay 2033 redux if it has been improved

Catdaddy

Finally a Remaster that I haven't played. I got LL from PS+ but it's been on my backlog so going all in and getting both on the PS4.

TheTrain

Just play Redux, on average the improved character models, outdoor lighting, weapon models and animations, etc... should lend to a better experience. Even though it may be disappointing that they decided, for no reason, to cut off some effects here and there.

Prime example:

Metro 2033 original PC (volumetric light, cloth pyhsics, gun blast causes shadowing, blast shield can have bullet holes fired into it which cause volumetric lighting to pour through ala The Division)
http://a.pomf.se/esxdhr.webm

Metro 2033 Redux PC
http://a.pomf.se/rkewus.webm

Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut......what's the difference between Physx On/Off in Metro Redux?

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/gamescom-2014-metro-redux-gameworks

I hope Nvidia will release a proper article regard that Redux release. :O

Kezen

Banned
Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut......what's the difference between Physx On/Off in Metro Redux?

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/gamescom-2014-metro-redux-gameworks

I hope Nvidia will release a proper article regard that Redux release. :O

We’ll take a closer look at the PC version of Metro Redux later this month; in the meantime check out 4A’s excellent comparison video that highlights many of the changes they’ve made, and our deep dive into the 2013 release of Metro: Last Light.

I hope they have not nerfed the sublime Physx effects of the original.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VafzR7JqO2I

Kinda bummed out that Redux has missing effects, but I am still pretty hyped for this.

Quoting myself from the other thread concerning discounted LL complete edition:

Just a heads-up for PC people willing to give the game a shot:

You can generate a 75%-off Steam key for Metro:LL Complete here:
http://eu.alienwarearena.com/giveaways/metro-last-light-complete-edition-75-discount
(Created an Alienware account with some spam email, it's pretty quick)

And with the game in your library you will also get a 50% discount on the redux version next week, so it can be worth it.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I just want to know if they fixed the controller viewpoint movement.

Last Light had this awful thing going on where moving the viewpoint up or down translated at half the speed of moving it left or right. And if you were trying to move the viewpoint diagonally in any direction, it behaved like absolute shit.

Pretty much ruined the game for me.

This was in both the PC and PS3 SKUs.

RoKKeR

Few bits of good news! I've heard that the guys over at 4A are now moving "en messe" over to their new Malta studios, and we will be able to get their insights on the development of the game once that settles down a bit.

Might be an update to the OT or maybe a different thread, but it's looking positive right now.

Additionally, Khalifa Jayy has a review thread up now for those who missed it.

Really bummed to see the missing effects in 2033 and maybe some weird tessellation issues in Last Light Redux. My best guess is that these things were gutted from the engine in future iterations as it became more console friendly and PC is getting the short end of the stick.

Hold on... what's the situation here?

Is the consensus that the Redux version of 2033 on PC is superior but the Redux version f LL isn't?

I thought the new version of the engine as well as stuff like global illumination was suppose to be a major improvement (and it looked like it from that comparison video they released a few weeks back).

Tell me it aint so GAF, i was super pumped to play through both of these on PC.

seph1roth

This is ridiculous, a remaster that is WORSE graphically than the original version.

I've seen everything in this life, hope all of this webm and images be from the console versions, otherwise 4A Games has lied us with this remaster...and nobody should buy it.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member

Prime example:

Metro 2033 Redux PC

Really? That's a helluva downgrade.

This is ridiculous, a remaster that is WORSE graphically than the original version.

I've seen everything in this life, hope all of this webm and images be from the console versions, otherwise 4A Games has lied us with this remaster...and nobody should buy it.

Some parts look better, some parts have less advanced effects.

On average, the texture work, charactermodels, tesselation, and modelling in general should be much better in PC 2033 Redux.

But as has been shown, some volumetric lights are not placed, and a number of volume particle effects are not placed.

seph1roth

Some parts look better, some parts have less advanced effects.

On average, the texture work, charactermodels, tesselation, and modelling in general should be much better in PC 2033 Redux.

But as has been shown, some volumetric lights are not placed, and a number of volume particle effects are not placed.

Ok but this

2033 Redux

http://a.pomf.se/kpritg.webm

2033 Original

http://a.pomf.se/nibpvq.webm

And this

uqbb.jpg

vqbb.jpg

Are reasons to be scared, is way better on the original versions.

RoKKeR

Is it really "way better"? Turn down the bloom on the Redux version (which is in-part due to the global illumination system they added) it looks nearly identical.

As for 2033 goes, it's no surprise that volumetric lighting was removed as it was done so in Last Light to achieve better performance across the board. Keep in mind 2033 original is a terribly optimized game that only the beefiest of pieces can chug through.

You're fear-mongering and saying "4A lied to us" is simply disingenuous.

This is selling at a steal of a price over here in Taipei, so I've got it on preorder. I can't wait. I played Metro LL briefly when it was released as a free PS+ game, and I had played enough of it to know I would really enjoy it, but didn't finish it.

What are the primary differences between the first Metro and Last Light, in terms of characters/story/game play?

Is it essential to play the first one to give more context to the story in LL?

Is it really "way better"? Turn down the bloom on the Redux version (which is in-part due to the global illumination system they added) it looks nearly identical.

As for 2033 goes, it's no surprise that volumetric lighting was removed as it was done so in Last Light to achieve better performance across the board. Keep in mind 2033 original is a terribly optimized game that only the beefiest of pieces can chug through.

You're fear-mongering and saying "4A lied to us" is simply disingenuous.
This is and has been patently proven false. The volumetric lighting is just high qualtiy, hence why it "runs" "poorly."

Now-a-days it is quite simple to get a flat 60fps in Metro 2033. I can for exmple.

Also, volumetric lighting was not removed in Last Light, just used more sparingly.

GavinUK86

Ok but this

Are reasons to be scared, is way better on the original versions.

The first comparison, the camp fire, looks way better in Redux. The outside scene though looks worse.

But

That is a load of shite.

Top Bottom