• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT7| A Great Trash Leader as Always

llehuty

I kinda wish the girls would open their own agency one day. It sounds utopist but not impossible to realize.
I'm shocked they didn't jump ship already, seeing how succesful Sica is being despite her being blacklisted in everything (although I guess the rest of the girls probably thin they don't have the huge fandom Sica has in china, and most of their earning come straight up from Korea).

If some of them already renewed contracts you can all forget about it though, and stay tight for OT?

I do hope Sica gets some redemption out of this after how some section of sones sided with SM when she was kicked out (reminder that she didn't left, she was kicked out).

wow! good call.
I'm suprised myself
you can call me llehutydamus.

broz0rs

I remember when we were all hoping that SM would give the girls a nice big hurrah for this comeback and end up those cheap bastards only paid a week's worth of activities and are presumably low-balling them now. Their culture will never change.

Also llehuty getting it right is crazy lol. I know that renegotiations occur in January so it's actually a huuuge surprise to me that Soshi still hasn't been able to negotiate it and is why I dismissed the idea.

I completely dismissed it too cause i completely forgot their contracts expired this year, i thought it was next year, but yeah, spot on.

Very interesting info. One thing strikes, as it was something I was thinking before reading that: back in 2014 they were at the very top and the contract extensions were certainly generous (within the SM anyway). Now that they may be not so strong as back then (disputable!), or at least is what SM thinks, they (SM) certainly want a better deal for themselves for this time renewal negotiations.

That's something so debatable and the only ones to blame are SM themselves, you can't ask them to be successfull without promoting them, without doing nothing for them. Pair that with the extremely bad managing overall for all their artists and things get even worse.

The fact that SNSD is still a successful group is literally a problem for SM.

I'm shocked they didn't jump ship already, seeing how succesful Sica is being despite her being blacklisted in everything (although I guess the rest of the girls probably thin they don't have the huge fandom Sica has in china, and most of their earning come straight up from Korea).

If some of them already renewed contracts you can all forget about it though, and stay tight for OT?

I do hope Sica gets some redemption out of this after how some section of sones sided with SM when she was kicked out (reminder that she didn't left, she was kicked out).

We can blame SM all we want for how they handled eveything related to those events, but Sica wanted to left and she did, saying she was kicked out was a childish and stupid reaction to the events to save herself. There's no redemption in there for her for most SONES. She admitted later that she had more interests than the SNSD and could not reach an agreement over them.

And before you ask me, i'm totally ok she left, i don't see her doing so great tho and i think the company she is now is not doing what she deserves.

I remember when we were all hoping that SM would give the girls a nice big hurrah for this comeback and end up those cheap bastards only paid a week's worth of activities and are presumably low-balling them now. Their culture will never change.

It's how the whole industry works, the fact that it's a girl group makes everything more obvious and worse.

DHXq7w6XoAAG03n.jpg:large

Sooyoung triggered AF.

Taeyang's new album is amazing. A real nice mix of different types of songs.

Wish White Night was a full song. Naked and Wake Me Up are my favorites.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Fany-ssi pls become an actress on shows and movies I can watch on Netflix. These dumb sones have no long-term vision, but I would appreciate new avenues of stanning you.

neoism

luso

100% mediaplay.

Also.
kz9jXKe.png

Definitely.
- Throws a name to instigate some level of separatism. Tiffany name was not random, she's from USA and had the flag controversy.
- Says studying acting is in discussion. No really news, apparently; also it is know she went to LA for a few weeks some time ago, maybe for classes, not only to stay with family.
- Moments later SM says she already re-signed - changing the target to another member who yet has to re-resign. After all, if the foreign and most "troublesome" member already signed, why *insert name* didn't yet?

llehuty

KARD to comeback w/ new album after world tour (ends mid Oct) + to be a different genre

Solji has recovered and will resume activites!!!. She will be part of Primary's next release.

Hwang Insun (Auntie from Produce 101) with a comeback. It doesn't look like a banger though...

TS at it again with a new boy group.
CRJrlQh.jpg

10 members, all of them born in 2000.

And some juicy "The Unit" confirmations:
All members of Boys Republic will join KBS Idol Rebooting Project 'The Unit'
Let's remember Videogame, one of my top 5 boy group kpop songs.

Brave Girls 2.0's Yujeong, Eunji, and Yuna will participate in KBS 'Idol Rebooting Project - The Unit'

We can blame SM all we want for how they handled eveything related to those events, but Sica wanted to left and she did, saying she was kicked out was a childish and stupid reaction to the events to save herself. There's no redemption in there for her for most SONES. She admitted later that she had more interests than the SNSD and could not reach an agreement over them.

And before you ask me, i'm totally ok she left, i don't see her doing so great tho and i think the company she is now is not doing what she deserves.

I think we will have to agree to disagree. We will never know the exact details, and I'm sure Sica pushed SM to spot where they had to fire her (whichever the real reason might be), but in no shape of form that contract wasn't ended by SM, because if not they would had sued her ass like they did with the EXO-K members that left.

llehuty

Just breaking: SNSD's Hyoyeon and Taeyeon have been doing activities without a manager and/or a bodyguard in the past 2 days. Taeyeon was surrounded by fans today and looked clearly uncomfortable/scared.
(Sorry for the editorialized reddit headline)

I guess we know some of the girls that haven't renewed their contracts.

But seriously, this is so fucked up, is it really worth it for them to go through this again in a couple of years to renew again? I feel like they don't want them to renew.

Edit: [Teaser] Loco(로꼬) _ Summer Go Loco (Feat. GRAY)

*Good Day micropost*
They have little icons in the corner of the pics that might be hinting at subunits or something?
llehutydamus strikes again! oniontaker better watch out.

sv8HwPX.jpg

Good morning unit

8xvcsM0.jpg

Good night unit

mFZQd8X.jpg

Midnight unit
The styling is awful compared to their reveal pictures. Still, night rather than day.

Kurita

I fell into a K-Pop hole thanks to TWICE. Everybody was obsessed with TT during my stay in Japan so I'm gonna blame them lol

Hit me with the best albums from 2016/2017.

Just breaking: SNSD's Hyoyeon and Taeyeon have been doing activities without a manager and/or a bodyguard in the past 2 days. Taeyeon was surrounded by fans today and looked clearly uncomfortable/scared.
(Sorry for the editorialized reddit headline)

I guess we know some of the girls that haven't renewed their contracts.

But seriously, this is so fucked up, is it really worth it for them to go through this again in a couple of years to renew again? I feel like they don't want them to renew.

Hyo was without manager and bodyguard, Tae was with a manager and no bodyguards.

Of course they don't want them to renew, they are a problem, same as SUJU or TVXQ and soon Shinee but the main difference with them is that they're male artists, the industry will favor them always.

All of this is happening while Onew has to go to the police for sexual assault accusations ffs.

SM.
DHaodIgVoAAfw9V.jpg

llehuty

^^^ If they don't want them to renew, why offer them a new contract? Just call it quits and that's it, it's quite straightforward for everyone involved.

[DIA] 빈챈현스S "LO OK" MUSIC VIDEO
I really like this. Sounds really different totheir previous releases.

I fell into a K-Pop hole thanks to TWICE. Everybody was obsessed with TT during my stay in Japan so I'm gonna blame them lol

Hit me with the best albums from 2016/2017.
Hi kurita!

Very eclectic kpop list from the top of my head + some quick google searches:

Wonder Girls - Why so lonely <-- Right up your alley, IMO.
Oh My Girl - Windy Day <-- In the catchy line of Twice
EXID - Street <-- a varied collection of tracks, leaning to electronic influence
Stellar - Sting <--- 100% pop
Brave Girls - High Heels <--- pop/R&B
NCT 127 - The first mini album (urban flavoured boy group with rap focus)
SHINee - 1 of 1 <--- 90s flavoured pop.
4Minute - Act 7 <-- edgy urban pop

Dreamcatcher's singles (group that debuted this year and are half step between pop and rock) Bonus MV recorded in France
Red Velvet - The red summer <-- sugary pop
KARD - Hola Hola <-- trendy tropical inspired pop
JJ Project - Verse 2 <--- laidback melancholic pop

Outside for the poppy side of things, we would need someone on the k-indie side of things to recommend more music up your alley?

Nell is a very referenced group that could maybe fit as a korean kurita band. They released an album last year, no idea if it's any good.

This community also likes a lot DAY6, didn't her anybody talk about thier full length album released a couple of months ago, but is probably consistent poprock. Not sure how they stack up against kurita bands.

The Koxx could be also a group worth checking

Glen Check took a really sharp turn sonically with their last album, turning the electronic elemenst of their music to 11.

Bolbbalgan4 is the latest breakout indie success story and they top charts in korea and are well liked over here too.

_____

If you want to check individual tracks, we do personal ranking every 6 months

llehuty's first half of 2017 k-pop picks
llehuty's best releases of 2016

Recommendations of other useres are around those pages.

neoism

Hyo was without manager and bodyguard, Tae was with a manager and no bodyguards.

Of course they don't want them to renew, they are a problem, same as SUJU or TVXQ and soon Shinee but the main difference with them is that they're male artists, the industry will favor them always.

All of this is happening while Onew has to go to the police for sexual assault accusations ffs.

SM.
DHaodIgVoAAfw9V.jpg
yea sm sucks a big one...

why does korean (kpop) artist/celebrities seem way more powerless then in US....
i mean tae and all of soshi have to be millionaire i would hope...

anyway

tae in blue jeans

7Yls79v_d.jpg

&#65533;&#65533;&#65533;&#65533;&#65533;&#65533;

poor girl its a damn shame .&#128529;

https://onehallyu.com/topic/564119-taeyeons-horrible-day-at-the-airport/

Am I the only one who's getting some Sica 2.0 vibes from this?

Fany going to the US to study acting... for some reason that does sound kinda familiar.

Taeng basically being left alone with practically no help from SM... I seem to remember seeing a top-tier idol pushing her own luggage at the airport as if she was a goddamned peasant.

I'm gonna get on the crazy train and say Taeng is definitely the one who hasn't renewed her contract yet. After all, she can make a fuckton of money as a solo act if another agency signs her. SM wouldn't be able to blacklist her either as she'll be leaving on legitimate grounds and the agency who's gonna sign her is most likely going to fight tooth and nail for this.

*grabs popcorn*

Boss Mog

If you watch that Taeyeon airport vid, it's almost all girls surrounding her and being rude. I've noticed in the Kpop world, when it comes to rude and sasaeng fans that most of them are female. It's almost as if they think "I'm female so it's ok".

As for Fany, SM have been cockblocking her from doing anything for over a year now, if her "scandal" hadn't happened she would've released an album this year or done something. I can understand why she wants to go the US since SM won't let her do anything in Korea. Hopefully she stays on though for one last comeback and maybe a TTS comeback but she should get new representation for activities in the US.

Doul

Neo Member
It's beyond me how a group of people can act like that. Being a fan really drives some of these people crazy. It's not like it's the first time saesang fans freak out and do something stupid but it always leaves me baffled.

Aren't SM reconsidering their strategy at this point ? I mean all this is getting a lot of attention they must fear some kind of public backlash at some point. This isn't good for them right ?

llehuty

It's beyond me how a group of people can act like that. Being a fan really drives some of these people crazy. It's not like it's the first time saesang fans freak out and do something stupid but it always leaves me baffled.

Aren't SM reconsidering their strategy at this point ? I mean all this is getting a lot of attention they must fear some kind of public backlash at some point. This isn't good for them right ?
They will turn everyone against the "rogue members" that don't renew their contracts and push OT# as the true SNSD and pretend the other members didn't exist.

If they all renew, sones will be happy and forget about this after some half assed apology by the members about how they made them worry and they will comeback with a different image and blah blah blah.

At this point, I bet SM would like it if at least one of hem doesn't renew, so they can throw all the blame in that direction.

Doul

Neo Member
They will turn everyone against the "rogue members" that don't renew their contracts and push OT# as the true SNSD and pretend the other members didn't exist.

If they all renew, sones will be happy and forget about this after some half assed apology by the members about how they made them worry and they will comeback with a different image and blah blah blah.

At this point, I bet SM would like it if at least one of hem doesn't renew, so they can throw all the blame in that direction.

Yeah I don't doubt it, they have that much power.

In an other dimension all members quit, go indie and have as much success as they could hope online. Then overthrow SM somehow haha.

PInk Tape

Banned

Yup. It's basically their MO at this point; they did it with the EXO members and Jess >.>

SM refuses to take responsibility for their shitty management and probably never will.

broz0rs

Taeyeon going to Jakarta by herself is like a lone wildebeest trying to pass the Serengeti plains. She should have cancelled it.

lol, if SM doesn't want someone to show up on TV, they just have to threaten of not sending their artitst to their shows.

LOL good point.

Still though, it'd be a fucking mess if Taeng leaves. It'll sorta be like AOA... and I say sorta coz the rest of Soshi actually have some kind of semblance of talent and don't really need somebody to carry them all the way.

So my BTS tshirt came in the mail and its way too small. I ordered a large but it fits kike really tight M.

Welcome to the world of Asian sizing.

Even global Asian brands like Forever 21 and Uniqlo adhere to different sizing standards across the Pacific. I have a couple of shirts that I bought from Uniqlo Philippines and they're like 3XL while my American Uniqlo stuff is XL.

Still though, it'd be a fucking mess if Taeng leaves. It'll sorta be like AOA... and I say sorta coz the rest of Soshi actually have some kind of semblance of talent and don't really need somebody to carry them all the way.

You can bet Tae renewed her contract, she probably was the first to do it, this whole situation goes beyond the contracts drama

DHeoekuV0AATgHQ.jpg

http://entertain.naver.com/read?oid=076&aid=0003138469&lfrom=twitter&spi_ref=m_entertain_twitter

In an other dimension all members quit, go indie and have as much success as they could hope online. Then overthrow SM somehow haha.

A girl group pulling a Shinwa is something i would love to see but i don't think they want to do that. The fight would not be only against SM in that situtation.

ramyeon

Taeyeon would be crazy to leave with the support SM is giving her solo activities. They would've pulled out all the stops to keep her on side too since she's the most profitable member hands down.

broz0rs

Taeyeon would be crazy to leave with the support SM is giving her solo activities. They would've pulled out all the stops to keep her on side too since she's the most profitable member hands down.

Why assume they're throwing in the kitchen sink to keep her, when they're not even providing her with adequate security when she's travelling alone to essentially a third world country?

Personally, I think SM needs Tae more than she needs them. I mean, iirc she sold something like 200k+ albums this year and it's not like all those profits are going to her.

luso

Poor Taeyeon, what happened is appalling.
Actually is several parties fault, SM should have sent more people, but also local organizers who picks up her and they should have alerted airport for the extra security.

As for her contracts and what it can be SM part, is all about the cut SM has. Yes, 200k sale is big but profit is not so much, compared with concerts, which is said the artists get a bigger percentage. Besides concerts, CFs and acting gigs are the remaining big chunks of profit.

A Shinwa is not possible because a) some of them re-signed, while others didn't'. All of Shinwa didn't wanted to renew. And b) much harder for female groups

Rorschach

Reading her post, I couldn't help but think back to the time that guy tried to kidnap her on stage in the middle of Run Devil Run. Must have been scary as hell.

BLACKPINK×SHEL'TTER×NYLON JAPAN&#12398;&#12473;&#12506;&#12471;&#12515;&#12523;&#12467;&#12521;&#12508;&#12524;&#12540;&#12471;&#12519;&#12531;&#65281;&#12486;&#12451;&#12470;&#12540;&#12512;&#12540;&#12499;&#12540;#01

Despite being on media blackout and not clicking the above, I've quoted for the new page because Sunmi.

IIRC, Yeeun/Ha:tfelt is slated to contribute something to this project.. or did I imagine that like the inevitable Sohee reunion???

[DIA] &#48712;&#52296;&#54788;&#49828;S "LO OK" MUSIC VIDEO
I really like this. Sounds really different totheir previous releases.
Still think "Mr. Potter" is underloved and suits them well, but this is good too.
Dancehall/Tropical House is not what I want from DIA. Love Kard and Blackpink, but if DIA go that route I'd imagine they would be better suited to the Red Velvet end of that spectrum, possibly further pared back.

Will the members omitted from this video be on a separate release or b-side?

R1920x0

R1920x0

Top Bottom