• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WaPo: Kushner wanted secret communications channel with Kremlin

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...ac8b446820a_story.html?utm_term=.167f1311b367

Jared Kushner and Russia's ambassador to Washington discussed the possibility of setting up a secret and secure communications channel between Trump's transition team and the Kremlin, using Russian diplomatic facilities in an apparent move to shield their pre-inauguration discussions from monitoring, according to U.S. officials briefed on intelligence reports.

Ambassador Sergei Kislyak reported to his superiors in Moscow that Kushner, then President-elect Trump's son-in-law and confidant, made the proposal during a meeting on Dec. 1 or 2 at Trump Tower, according to intercepts of Russian communications that were reviewed by U.S. officials. Kislyak said Kushner suggested using Russian diplomatic facilities in the United States for the communications.

The meeting also was attended by Michael Flynn, Trump's first national security adviser.

The White House disclosed the fact of the meeting only in March, playing down its significance. But people familiar with the matter say the FBI now considers the encounter, as well as another meeting Kushner had with a Russian banker, to be of investigative interest.

Kislyak reportedly was taken aback by the suggestion of allowing an American to use Russian communications gear at its embassy or consulate — a proposal that would have carried security risks for Moscow as well as the Trump team.

The FBI closely monitors the communications of Russian officials in the United States, and maintains near-constant surveillance of its diplomatic facilities. The National Security Agency monitors the communications of Russian officials overseas.

Current and former U.S. intelligence officials said that though Russian diplomats have secure means of communicating with Moscow, Kushner's apparent request for access to such channels was extraordinary.

”How would he trust that the Russians wouldn't leak it on their side?" said one former senior intelligence official. The FBI would know that a Trump transition official was going in and out of the embassy, which would cause ”a great deal" of concern, he added. The entire idea, he said, ”seems extremely naïve or absolutely crazy."

The discussion of a secret channel adds to a broader pattern of efforts by Trump's closest advisors to obscure their contacts with Russian counterparts. Trump's first national security adviser, Flynn, was forced to resign after a series of false statements about his conversations with Kislyak. Attorney General Jeff Sessions recused himself from matters related to the Russia investigation after it was revealed that he had failed to disclose his own meetings with Kislyak when asked during congressional testimony about any contact with Russians.

slit

Yep saw that pop up in my feed. Absolutely disgusting! A lot of people though Kushner was wanted more as a witness by the FBI. This takes the roof off of that line of thinking.

RPGCrazied

Wow. It just never stops. This administration is tainted, it has to be removed ASAP. God, Republicans are so pathetic.

Vectorman

Banned
Guy+so+lonely+he+s+producing+his+own+gf+with+alchemy+_0047ab4053af78a3ae6e73dabda636d3.gif

Tagyhag

"What's wrong with being friends with Russia? Better than all of us nuking each other isn't?"

That TIME cover makes even more sense now.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Kislyak reportedly was taken aback by the suggestion of allowing an American to use Russian communications gear at its embassy or consulate
When you are so fucking brazen that Russian officials think you must be out of your mind.

Not surprising.

One question though that's semi off topic, I thought Kislyak was expelled by Obama? Why was he allowed back in the country?

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
low level drug dealers are better at concealing illegal activity than this administration. did no one watch the wire?

When you are so fucking brazen that Russian officials think you must be out of your mind.

Definitely the most interesting part of the article. I really want to see how Republicans react to this when this was such a bombshell that even Russia was in shock and awe of what was happening.

Also worth noting that it broke a few months ago that Betsy DeVos's brother, who was the founder of Blackwater, was also trying to start a secret channel to the Kremlin, though I'm not sure what became of that since I don't recall much follow up. That very well could be related, he may have been doing this on behalf of, or in conjuncture, with Kushner. No way that's a coincidence

Tovarisc

Isn't this old? I remember hearing this last week... Or was that speculation last week and this is now stating that it actually happened?

I think a lot of this stuff is speculated / assumed by people here on GAF as stories unfold, so when stuff like this is actually revealed /confirmed it feels like old news.

Kevtones

Obviously this was just an emergency channel to show they were able to create the secret channel and have no talks on it (further solidifying their non-relationship). This was a massive display of discipline in the mostly patriotically ethical way.

This is further proof that Kushner is an American hero.

Top Bottom