• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Corrupted by the One Ring or corrupted by Frostmourne?

zeemumu

Let's say you're in a cave, and both of these items are laying next to each other. You have to pick up one them. Which cursed item would you prefer to be corrupted by?

One Ring
latest

Pros:
  • You can turn invisible
  • Potential to dominate the wills of others and become an all around badass
  • Live longer
  • Other random-ass shit

Cons:
  • Gonna fuck you up over time.
  • You'll probably only be able to turn invisible.

Frostmourne
Pros:
  • Death Knight powers
  • Command the dead
  • Shatters most other weapons on contact
Cons:
  • Soul drained on contact
  • Slave of Lich King

Is Frostmourne from the Warcraft 3 expansion?

That dude was the strongest hero in the main game, but he was weak as hell in the expansion, that sword sucks. I'd go with the ring.

Mivey

I'm not so sure about the One Ring. Read a bad review on the net from someone named "tbombadil" and he wrote the ring didn't do anything for him. Maybe they send fakes around?

I would go with Frostmourne over the One Ring anyday. Sure you have to serve the Lich King but the rest of the stuff you get is much better in my opinion.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Uhhh considering both confirm the existence of a soul, I'd want to keep my eternal life even if my temporary one gets fucked up. The ring.

My answer depends entirely on the state of the world. If we're talking about today then of course the One Ring, imagine all the shenanigans you could get up to with it. It's also easier to wear around in public as oppose to a huge ass frozen sword. Now if the bombs begin to drop and the world turns apocalyptic? Frostmourne it is. I'll have more use commanding a legion of undead and being able to freerange murder folk with a sword in a lawless land than turning invisible to sneak into game developer companies to leak video game news.

IIRC the one ring's ability reflects the nature of its wearer, that's why Hobbits, small creatures that are usually risk and adventure adverse, turned invisible. A human wearing it probably wouldn't
edit: Clearly I was mistaken, which makes me wonder where I even heard this

WaterAstro

I would pick Frostmourne since Ner'zhul used to be a good guy, so I might be able to convince him to be a good guy again.

If DBZ taught me anything, it is that fusion is cooler than being bald and scrawny under the whims of Sauron.

Proelite

LOTR apes Warcraft. So Forstmourne because Blizzard has the creativity factor. Tolkien is a talentless hack.

SRG01

IIRC the one ring's ability reflects the nature of its wearer, that's why Hobbits, small creatures that are usually risk and adventure adverse, turned invisible. A human wearing it probably wouldn't

Can anyone confirm this? I thought the invisibility thing was a universal power of the ring.

Luxorek

It's been a while since I read the books, but I vaguely recall Isildur being killed when the ring slipped off his finger and revelead him to the Orcs. He was trying to swim through a river protected by the ring's invisibility or something.

Is Frostmourne from the Warcraft 3 expansion?

That dude was the strongest hero in the main game, but he was weak as hell in the expansion, that sword sucks. I'd go with the ring.
Arthas got the sword at the end of the human campaign in Warcraft 3. He starts losing power in the expansion when Illidan started to messing with the Lich King home in the north.

.JayZii

Banned
Can anyone confirm this? I thought the invisibility thing was a universal power of the ring.
You turn invisible in the real world, but also light up like a beacon in the Ethereal Plane/Unseen World/whatever it's called so that Sauron and his goons can find you.

The One Ring sucks unless you are Sauron.

mjc

I'm not so sure about the One Ring. Read a bad review on the net from someone named "tbombadil" and he wrote the ring didn't do anything for him. Maybe they send fakes around?

The ring doesn't affect Tom because he's most likely God in their world.

The one ring sucks unless you're sauron or someone strong enough to replace him, but I'd sure love to try thermite on it.

Though exploring mt doom alternatives isn't in the scope of this thread

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Unless you're already a being of power the ring doesn't do much for you and just turns you into a semi-immortal crack addict who can go invisible from time to time.

Frostmourne is the better deal overall if you can get over killing all your loved ones and raising them as zombies.

hamchan

Bilbo seemed to live a pretty damn good life while holding the ring.

Meanwhile don't you just sit on a throne in a cold place while you hold Frostmourne? Seems bad.

Meanwhile don't you just sit on a throne in a cold place while you hold Frostmourne? Seems bad.

Not at all. Arthas travelled all over the world and experienced all kinds of wacky adventures once he got Frostmorne. He just chose to retire after that, kinda like Bilbo did in Rivendell.

Top Bottom