• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Blizzard

Banned
Sweet, the Inceptor/Dream Heist kickstarter posted an update again. Apparently they just got busy for a month, and Kickstarter had some issue where it wasn't sending them emails when people left comments, until the last day or so.

Just a heads up if anybody is interested in grabbing Pax Porfiriana, Sierra Madre games had just released the reprint. The game has been out for print for a bit and was going for over $70. The price is about $37 shipped. It's an extremely limited 200 copies so if you want it, you should probably act soon.
http://www.sierra-madre-games.eu/index_pax_porfiriana.html

Pax Porfirana is a card game based on the Mexican revolution. Each player plays a wealthy land owner and you are trying to buy land, business, and personal armies all the while trying to manipulate your position in order to topple Porfirio Díaz. Be warned, while it's a very interesting game the rulebook isn't the greatest. It's dense, dry, and difficult to get through. There is a really good video tutorial (part 1 part 2) that will help you play the game. It is also a heavy, heavy game. If you are a new boardgame player, tread lightly..

ultron87

2R&B gets pushed to November at the earliest. Kickstarting stuff is such a waste of time.

That's a bummer. I've been running my Print and Play set for a while and while that works okay I've been hoping to get a real copy at some point so that I'm not using pieces of paper slipped into magic sleeves as cards. I'm really looking forward to playing in a huge game of it at Gen Con since the most I've played with on my own is 12.

EYEL1NER

Just got back from the APO and it feels like Christmas came early for me. Wasabi, Eclipse, Eclipse: Rise of the Ancients, Sentinels of the Multiverse Enhanced Edition, Elder SIgn: Unseen Forces, and Android: Netrunner all showed up. Which kind of sucks, because we had so much fun playing Ravenloft and Elder Sign on Monday night that we planned on doing it again next Monday. So I don't know when the hell I will get a chance to play these, but I am glad they got here so quick. Hopefully my two X-Wing Core Sets and X & TIE expansions get here next week, because that will be awesome.

Everything is sealed minus Wasabi, which was bought cheap from the Geek Marketplace. I opened that up to inventory and survey the contents and wow, it looks too cool. The menus for each player with the ingrediants hidden behind them, the four wasabi bowls with green cubes, the sushi-mat-styled board... I don't care if the game ends up being horrible, I am happy to have it in my collection looking as awesome as it does.

EYEL1NER

Wasabi is not bad. It plays quickly and is easy enough to get non-gamers to play. Your other games are good too. So, nice pick ups all around.
Well that is good about Wasabi then. I haven't really read anything too terrible about it, just mainly mediocre or middling reviews. I showed it on webcam to my daughter and wife and they thought it looked cool enough, so I am looking forward to playing it with them in a couple months.

I broke open the Netrunner instructions and damn, I didn't expect them to be so big. I will read a bit of them tomorrow and then pass them on to my buddy to read in preparation for Monday night. He has a long MtG background, so hopefully he picks up on the rules pretty quickly. The only card game like that that I know anything about is MtG, and that is very limited info that this guy has taught me when we have been playing. The Sentinels of the Multiverse rules look pretty simple, which is surprising because the guy at TableTop Day that introduced me to the game explained it so poorly that I had no clue what we were doing throughout the entire duration of the game. I've been reading up on Eclipse in preparation of its arrival, so I will probably reread those rules a couple more times over the weekend. And then on Monday, the big decisions of "What do we play?" will have to be made.

Karkador

Banned
Well that is good about Wasabi then. I haven't really read anything too terrible about it, just mainly mediocre or middling reviews. I showed it on webcam to my daughter and wife and they thought it looked cool enough, so I am looking forward to playing it with them in a couple months.

I broke open the Netrunner instructions and damn, I didn't expect them to be so big. I will read a bit of them tomorrow and then pass them on to my buddy to read in preparation for Monday night. He has a long MtG background, so hopefully he picks up on the rules pretty quickly. The only card game like that that I know anything about is MtG, and that is very limited info that this guy has taught me when we have been playing. The Sentinels of the Multiverse rules look pretty simple, which is surprising because the guy at TableTop Day that introduced me to the game explained it so poorly that I had no clue what we were doing throughout the entire duration of the game. I've been reading up on Eclipse in preparation of its arrival, so I will probably reread those rules a couple more times over the weekend. And then on Monday, the big decisions of "What do we play?" will have to be made.

First thing you have to tell your MtG friend : Netrunner does not have a stack

EYEL1NER

Quick question for anyone who knows anything about digital images and printing:
I'm looking to order a 3x3 vinyl from Banners on the Cheap. Their requirements are as follows:
- Must be less than 20MB in size
- Must be an EPS, JPG, TIF, BMP, GIF, PNG, PDF file type
I want to use this image . I grabbed the jpeg from the "Highest Quality" section, it is 15.75 megs and 3622x3877px.

I almost ordered yesterday for $21.XX, but I didn't know if that was a good enough file to use. I know some people on BGG were very pleased with their vinyls and some people were disappointed. There was a large variety to what people were using though; some people were using PDFs, some people were using jpegs, some people had too small of file sizes with low pixel count. People who were disappointed were talking about getting dithering in their image, and I don't remember what dithering is.

So for anyone who knows anything about this kind of stuff, will that image turn out moderately well? Not looking for the best-quality playmat ever, but as long as it isn't distorted or blown up to a size where individual pixels are seen and looks blurry, I will be okay. I want to order a GF9 mat, but this is almost $20 cheaper and people who used proper images seemed to really like their mats.

This is the last thing I feel that I need for my X-Wing minis. In addition to the 2 core sets I ordered, I ordered a TIE and X-Wing expansion. The next day, a "Used - Like New" TIE expansion popped up on Warehouse Deals for $10, so I bought that too since it was a couple dollars off. Then that "$5 off $25 for downloading a Amazon plug-in" promo dropped yesterday, so I used that towards a Y-Wing and TIE Advanced. So in total that is 6 TIES, 3 X-Wings, 1 TIE Advanced, and 1 Y-Wing. I think that should be pretty good for now. But in addition to playing the game, I am really excited about the possibility of breaking out my camera and snapping some cool pics. And I definitely want to be playing on some cool space image, rather than a hardwood table.

Karkador

Banned
Oooh, I get to nerd out about print design here a bit.

Your X-Wing mat image might be undersized for it to show up sharply, but that also depends on what the viewing distance will be. I've never played that game, so I don't know how high above the table you typically hover.

Assuming you look at the mat from about 18" / 0,46m away, you'd need about twice the size of your image to make a clear 3x3 print for that use. The closer you get, the higher the res needs to be. so try to aim for like 7000x7000 or so.

joelseph

I recommend making your own mat out of felt cloth for X-Wing. There is some pretty slick cloth bolts with space, buy a bit and if you want to really dress it up buy some Star Wars themed cloth and sew together for the underside.

I then took a white cloth pen and randomly blotched larger stars and planets onto my space cloth. Looks awesome!

Ugh, I have such a hankering to play the GoT board game or BSG or something similar right now. All my friends live far awaaaay.

Gryph

Ugh, I have such a hankering to play the GoT board game or BSG or something similar right now. All my friends live far awaaaay.

Time to rope more folks into a board game group. There's a game coming up soon called Dead of Winter that uses a lot of the BSG mechanics with some new twists...

Gather ye rosebuds and so on...

VASSAL requires the same sort of trust and real time knowledge of the rules that regular board games do, so I feel like it'd just be as worthwhile to play the physical game.

Still, if you're pretty sure no one nearby will ever play Twilight Struggle with you, it can be a great alternative.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
VASSAL's too hardcore even for some of the most hardcore in this thread (granted there aren't a ton of wargamers here). I mean I play Netrunner on freaking OCTGN all the time and I still won't VASSAL. :p

fenners

VASSAL requires the same sort of trust and real time knowledge of the rules that regular board games do, so I feel like it'd just be as worthwhile to play the physical game.

Still, if you're pretty sure no one nearby will ever play Twilight Struggle with you, it can be a great alternative.

Wargameroom is a much better online version of Twilight Struggle (and other games) and it fully enforces the rules.

Every time I try VASSAL, I hit the wall of "this is just moving about sprites with no concept of rules or enforcement" & I give up.

I'm excited to try this!

IMG_20140608_115046404_zpsxejfupk8.jpg

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
So I kickstarted Pandante and am excited to try it. I'm not a big fan of some of Sirlin's views but I think he makes pretty fun mediumweight games and this looks to be another one.

Tomorrow at game night I'm trying to knock off a few of my 10x10 games that have been neglected, namely:
-7 Wonders (no idea why this game is so divisive! -- it's great!)
-King of Tokyo (thought this would be super easy but think we burned out on it just a bit last year)
-Galaxy Trucker (just tough to introduce to new players)

So I kickstarted Pandante and am excited to try it. I'm not a big fan of some of Sirlin's views but I think he makes pretty fun mediumweight games and this looks to be another one.

Tomorrow at game night I'm trying to knock off a few of my 10x10 games that have been neglected, namely:
-7 Wonders (no idea why this game is so divisive! -- it's great!)
-King of Tokyo (thought this would be super easy but think we burned out on it just a bit last year)
-Galaxy Trucker (just tough to introduce to new players)
The only knock against 7 Wonders is we played it out in our game group. It's a great game that fills the time either before or after games. Because of that it always came out. It didn't help that Cities fell flat with everyone in our group.

In other news, packing sucks. I thought books were bad but boardgames take the cake as the worst thing to move. It doesn't help that I have too many games. I have no idea how Tom Vasel moved so many games.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Oh man I love playing with both Leaders and Cities. So much variety and variance (which can be a bad thing to some, but for me who considers 7W pure goofiness quite good) and it really does make the coins interesting. Only mechanic I think is a bit silly is the peace thing -- doesn't seem particularly useful in most cases.

Cool Stuff Inc shows that Star Realms is out of stock.

But, Amazon has it for 20.77 from 3rd party seller... Cool Stuff Inc.

Is that kinda shady?

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
So we shot a "Let's Play" of Dead of Winter...

Guys that game s really good. I've played it twice, and it's a beat. It's like, so many games claim to be thematic, but this one DOES THE THING. So good.

That is all.

Cool Stuff Inc shows that Star Realms is out of stock.

But, Amazon has it for 20.77 from 3rd party seller... Cool Stuff Inc.

Is that kinda shady?

If your selling on an Amazon store I believe you have to allocate certain stock to their system. So even if they sell out on CSI, if they allocated stock to Amazon, they likely set it aside. And selling via Amazon incurs a bunch of extra fees than selling direct from their own site, so I dont really see much wrong with it.

Faiz

If your selling on an Amazon store I believe you have to allocate certain stock to their system. So even if they sell out on CSI, if they allocated stock to Amazon, they likely set it aside. And selling via Amazon incurs a bunch of extra fees than selling direct from their own site, so I dont really see much wrong with it.

While that's true, they sell it for 9.99 on their own site.

While that's true, they sell it for 9.99 on their own site.

They did same when they sold out of Eclipse when that was the big hot stuff, they were selling on Amazon and other places for inflated price. Unless they had a huge stash hidden away and price gouging, I wouldn't care, alot of other retailers also do it like miniaturemarket, frp, etc

Faiz

They did same when they sold out of Eclipse when that was the big hot stuff, they were selling on Amazon and other places for inflated price. Unless they had a huge stash hidden away and price gouging, I wouldn't care, alot of other retailers also do it like miniaturemarket, frp, etc

The point I was making there is that their current amazon price is more than twice what they normally sell it for, so yeah that feels like gouging.

Camwi

My wife loves board games, but the ones she has are mostly the types that work far better with more than two people.

Can anyone recommend me some good two-player board games, preferably not too complex? Something like Stratego, for example.

Faiz

Oddly enough I just went to Amazon to see what other people were selling Star Realms for.

CSI actually has it listed for $24.99 now, 5 left in stock.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
The point I was making there is that their current amazon price is more than twice what they normally sell it for, so yeah that feels like gouging.
Yeah CSI does that all the time. I can see why some don't like it. I personally have no problem with it as I don't think there's an entitlement to be able to buy a game at MSRP or lower. In extreme cases CSI just goes into eBay mode and "gouges." If it helps them keep up their low prices elsewhere and generally pretty awesome customer service more power to them.

Mr.Towel

My wife loves board games, but the ones she has are mostly the types that work far better with more than two people.

Can anyone recommend me some good two-player board games, preferably not too complex? Something like Stratego, for example.

Hive is really fun. Simple rules but it has good stratigic depth. It's a fav for me and my gf.

Slacker

Hive is really fun. Simple rules but it has good stratigic depth. It's a fav for me and my gf.

Exactly what I was going to say. I personally recommend Hive Pocket, as it contains the Mosquito and Ladybug expansions, and the tiles are perfect size for playing anywhere. I believe the "Carbon" version contains the expansions too but it's all black and white which I don't like as much. It's a great 2 player game, though. And everyone I've played with has loved it (including kids).

Others that get played 2p a lot in my house:

Lost Cities - quick, simple, and competitive card game. Non-gamer wife always happy to play this with me.

Qwirkle - tile laying game like Scrabble without having to know a bunch of words. Works great with 2, 3, or 4.

Carcassonne works awesome with 2p. We're currently enjoying the South Seas version.

Dominion is my favorite with 2 players. Lots of variety if you pick up a few expansions. I can't get my wife to play this one as often, though. While there is certainly a luck component, experience still plays enough of a role that she doesn't feel like she can keep up. But if you can both learn to play competitively, it's really excellent head-to-head.

Mr Jack is a fun what-do-they-have and what-will-they-do-next kind of game.

San Juan, the card game version of my favorite game Puerto Rico, is fun with 2. If neither of you are intimidated by a bit of a learning curve, Race for the Galaxy is great too. Both are role-selection games.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Oooh yeah sooooo many good light 2p games:
-Lost Cities
-Jaipur
-Battle Line
-Carcassonne
-Innovation
-Forbidden Island

Top Bottom