• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If Scott Pilgrim came out today would it be a hit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Replicant

The only good thing to come out of this film:

3871c55381765f37e9163ea1d7a88d9a.gif

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I dunno about the movie. But the "manga"/comic was pretty bad, IMO.

TissueBox

Regardless, it would still be one of the decade's most glorious.

I also s'pose if we were to switch it around and have The World's End in its place then Baby Driver in The World's End's place and Scott Pilgrim in Baby Driver's there might be more of a weight to Wright's name that may attract attention but aside from that, nah pro'lly wouldn't be that much different. Who knows, though.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Maybe if some one other than Michale Cera played scott.

Comic Scott is a rambunctious, hilarious, excitable, idiot goofball who acts before thinking 80% of the time.

Movie Scott ended up just being a dead pan, heads in the clouds guy who just let things happen around him.

Regardless the movie is pretty cool but it's definitely not as good on a rewatch.

Jinaar

Is this another classic Neogaf thread of super hyperbole and hate? Yes... yes it is.

Swap with any Pacific Rim thread here.

It was executed really well, almost perfect adaptation imo. Guardians of the Galaxy was a niche property (even moreso than Scott Pilgrim I'd say) and look where it's at now....
?

Guardians of the Galaxy is a big budget sci-fi adventure, as are like half of the top grossing films of the last 50 years. It was popular for all of the same reasons that Star Wars was. In no galaxy is it more niche than Scott Pilgrim.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
why? they are awful people on the books too

Honestly, only Wallace Wells (and that's despite the numerous LOL HE'S GAY LOL "jokes" the author threw in) and Stephen Stills (who later turns gay because LOL RECORDING DUDE BLOWS HIM IN SECRET IN VOLUME 4 LOL) were the only two likable characters in the comics. IMO.

Crash: All right, this next song goes out to the guy who keeps yelling from the balcony. [Wallace points at himself, mock questioningly] It's called "We Hate You, Please Die."
Wallace: Sweet! [to Jimmy] Love this one.

I'd go for a Wallace manga, personally. But only if O'Malley stopped with that rapid cut scene pacing.

ryseing

Yeah, comic Scott is a dick but he is charming. There's a reason he dated both Envy and Ramona.

Michael Cera was all wrong for the part. Better lead wouldn't have saved the movie but I think it would have helped.

Honestly, current Ansel Elgort could have been OK as Scott I think. Need someone in that vein of geeky but handsome.

GamerJM

Banned
I don't think the movie landscape has changed that much in the last seven years. It'd probably be largely the same.

Also the movie didn't really jive with me. I can kinda see what some people saw in it since it had a pretty unique visual flair but it was just too corny for my tastes and I couldn't care about the story it was trying to tell at all.

HowZatOZ

Banned
I always come back to this film each year and every time it's just as good. Always listen to the soundtrack every few weeks, so damn good.

Makes me want more to be honest.

Sou Da

Honestly, only Wallace Wells (and that's despite the numerous LOL HE'S GAY LOL "jokes" the author threw in) and Stephen Stills (who later turns gay because LOL RECORDING DUDE BLOWS HIM IN SECRET IN VOLUME 4 LOL) were the only two likable characters in the comics. IMO.

Crash: All right, this next song goes out to the guy who keeps yelling from the balcony. [Wallace points at himself, mock questioningly] It's called "We Hate You, Please Die."
Wallace: Sweet! [to Jimmy] Love this one.

I'd go for a Wallace manga, personally. But only if O'Malley stopped with that rapid cut scene pacing.

Alright you can stop calling it a manga now.

farisr

Regardless the movie is pretty cool but it's definitely not as good on a rewatch.
For me and my group of friends this became one of the most rewatchable movies ever, gets better and better as there are a ton of details packed into every scene that you can miss. Heck, my group of friends rewatched the movie three times within the last two months of 2010 after the bluray released (we chilled weekly, and the rewatches happened as a result of there being someone in the group each time that hadn't seen the movie before, everyone else was absolutely down for a rewatch without a second thought).

And yeah, I was the only one out of all of us that watched this in theaters. They absolutely weren't interested in it from the trailers/marketing.

If they got literally anyone else on the planet as their lead instead of Michael Cera.

Yep. I was tired of him then, and feel more or less the same right now. I was still going to watch the movie regardless of who was in it, but I was a fan of the books. Can't say how people who don't know about the books would feel about watching the movie at all.

remz

Comic Scott is a rambunctious, hilarious, excitable, idiot goofball who acts before thinking 80% of the time.

Movie Scott ended up just being a dead pan, heads in the clouds guy who just let things happen around him.

Regardless the movie is pretty cool but it's definitely not as good on a rewatch

I don't think I agree with the bolded... I first saw it when it came out and rewatched it again recently. I think it loses some of the "WTF is this movie" surprise factor from the first watch, but on rewatches the movie is packed with so many visual/audio gags that it's still really entertaining, because you pick up on this stuff the second time around

Comic Scott was frickin dumb fir how much he thought.
I don't think I agree with the bolded... I first saw it when it came out and rewatched it again recently. I think it loses some of the "WTF is this movie" surprise factor from the first watch, but on rewatches the movie is packed with so many visual/audio gags that it's still really entertaining, because you pick up on this stuff the second time around

I've seen it 5+ times by now and it's great every single time.

kswiston

Yep. I was tired of him then, and feel more or less the same right now. I was still going to watch the movie regardless of who was in it, but I was a fan of the books. Can't say how people who don't know about the books would feel about watching the movie at all.

Their looks have since drifted apart a bit, but between Superbad and Scott Pilgrim, my youngest brother was a Michael Cera look alike. To the point that it was distracting to watch films with Michael Cera in them.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
No, it would not. Successful nerd properties adapt the material to be accessible to a mainstream audience (see: Big Bang Theory
don't, though
). Scott Pilgrim kept it steadfastly niche, which was always going to limit its appeal, although it likely resulted in a better movie than it would have been otherwise. There was never any breakout potential for this movie. It speaks to a very specific age group from a very specific viewpoint from a very limited breadth of interest. It's kind of a miracle it even exists.

Actually no, they didn't market it right.

Sure they did. People just didn't respond. There's really no other way to sell that movie that isn't blatantly misrepresentative of what you're going to get, at which point the bait 'n' switch complaints would have soured any reception of the film after opening weekend.

They sold it as best they could while honestly trying to share exactly what it was. The trailers/commercials were well made. Universal put in good work.

Everyone involved simply overestimated the appeal of the thing.

Also, everyone talking shit about the film's quality is out of their goddamned mind. Of all Wright's movies to date, this is probably the best shot, and definitely the best edited. We'll see if Baby Driver can top it in both instances, but from a technical standpoint, this is easily his pinnacle.

The main reason I absolutely hate the comic. It just felt like he was screaming all the time.
The movie was a huge improvement over the comic. It actually managed to be good and entertaining.

Slayven

Bobby I want your input on an interesting bit of movie history I think gets over looked. I think it was the first true meeting of the internet and the film industry.

Just the soundtrack alone justifies this movie's awesomeness, especially the Beck stuff, they really went above and beyond on that aspect.

Brie Larson's cover of that metric song was great too. I think this is hers and absolutely Chris Evans best role. Short Term 12 was really good too but man she was just so dope in Scott Pilgrim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom