• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Candies in Britain get smaller again

Status
Not open for further replies.

iceatcs

Only if they canned and melted the chocolate.

It's a tax on drinks.
Yeah but the chocolate has up to 40% reduced real sugar before britexit. Nestle and Cadbury taste changing all the time. It starting when drink sugar tax. I won't be surprise there are actually the sugar tax fright them, even if not applied them yet.

Who would of thunk it, leaving the EU is bringing the UK so many fucking Ls. They can't handle all the Ls.

Because forming economic policy for a voting bloc that'll all be dead in under a decade sounds like a grrrrrreat idea.

Hey remember those days in the 80s when the pound would buy you so much more? Yeah those days are fucking done.

sammex

freddo_index_main-large_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bqeo_i_u9APj8RuoebjoAHt0k9u7HhRJvuo-ZLenGRumA.jpg

We're going to have to update the Freddo index.

TimmmV

Companies have been pulling this shit in the uk for years and years before brexit. It's just now they can rip people off and use it as a handy scapegoat while crying that they don't want to but they have to.

No.

Companies have been doing this for ages, due to inflation causing their costs to rise. I guess they calculate that its better to keep price lower and make portions smaller than to keep portion sizes the same and put up the prices more.

However, this isn't some brexit profiteering, the pounds value just nosedived, so naturally their costs have risen quite substantially. Its not a scapegoat - there is a direct cause and effect here that, frankly, you have to be wilfully ignorant to ignore.

Let them keep going, they will eventually see what happens when people stop buying and their profits nosedive.

Its chocolate, people aren't going to stop buying it.

It's lollies. Candy is American and the name of promiscuousness
I was surprised to find the word 'candy' has origins from around the world, considering how much it is associated with the US.
late 13c., "crystalized sugar," from Old French çucre candi "sugar candy," ultimately from Arabic qandi, from Persian qand "cane sugar," probably from Sanskrit khanda "piece (of sugar)," perhaps from Dravidian (compare Tamil kantu "candy," kattu "to harden, condense").
http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=candy&allowed_in_frame=0

Well, thankfully I rarely buy chocolate anymore but I certainly don't condone this. Sure, make the chocs smaller but make them cheaper too you fuckwits.

Audioboxer

Even although it's funny to laugh at Brexit, and cry, this is simply opportunism to sell less to consumers but charge the same.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Brexit is shit, but let's not pretend this hasn't been a trend for decades.

Not being funny but who actually buys chocolate at full price? Shower gel, chocolate and toilet paper - buy when it's on sale, and buy unimaginably large quantities.

Kayhan

Not being funny but who actually buys chocolate at full price? Shower gel, chocolate and toilet paper - buy when it's on sale, and buy unimaginably large quantities.

lol I can't keep large quantities of candy in the house. I'll just eat it right up.

Wiped89

It's bullshit like this that's made me stop buying chocolate so much. I hate this awful shrinkflation.

Coca Cola are also trying to pull this with their new 1.75L bottles instead of 2L. The 1.75 are now the same price 2L used to be, and 2L are an outrageous £2.30.

And people are so stupid. They just swallow it down. I have friends who bring round the 1.75L bottles all the time now. I refuse to buy them. Nothing but profiteering.

Companies have been pulling this shit in the uk for years and years before brexit. It's just now they can rip people off and use it as a handy scapegoat while crying that they don't want to but they have to.

wagon wheels, lion bars, monster munch, malteasters, mars bars, creme eggs have all shrunk in size compared to how they used to originally be.

Let them keep going, they will eventually see what happens when people stop buying and their profits nosedive.

More Brexit bullshit.

Most confectionaries went through a size increase during the 90s-early 2000s because production was cheaper during a period when they weren't paying suppliers of ingredients well(especially globally). They have been reducing since then because of increasing costs which include treating farmers/suppliers better.

Hardly any are smaller than they were when they were introduced in the 60/70/80s.

I have a big bag in my bedroom I got from Nintendo World in new york. I don't buy chocolate often, but when you seen the good offers, I bulk buy it and dine out on it for weeks. Like recently they had big cadburys bars on offer, 3 for 3. I bought 30 odd of them, plus staff discount brought it to 27 quid, that'll last me till June/July at least.

nekkid

I have a big bag in my bedroom I got from Nintendo World in new york. I don't buy chocolate often, but when you seen the good offers, I bulk buy it and dine out on it for weeks. Like recently they had big cadburys bars on offer, 3 for 3. I bought 30 odd of them, plus staff discount brought it to 27 quid, that'll last me till June/July at least.

Buy 3, get 0 free. What a bargain!

Moozo

It's bullshit like this that's made me stop buying chocolate so much. I hate this awful shrinkflation.

Coca Cola are also trying to pull this with their new 1.75L bottles instead of 2L. The 1.75 are now the same price 2L used to be, and 2L are an outrageous £2.30.

And people are so stupid. They just swallow it down. I have friends who bring round the 1.75L bottles all the time now. I refuse to buy them. Nothing but profiteering.

I don't buy the 3x multipack Cadbury for £1 either, when it used to be 4x, out of principle.

Ephidel

I'm just playing. I'm guessing you mis-typed, otherwise "3 for 3" sounds like a crappy "offer".
Nah, not a typo, they just omitted a £ sign and expected people to know anyway (because it's kind of obvious really for the exact reason you state - otherwise it's not a deal :p)
They were 3 for £3, which is a deal because the larger bars usually sell for more than £1 each.

nekkid

Nah, not a typo, they just omitted a £ sign and expected people to know anyway (because it's kind of obvious really for the exact reason you state - otherwise it's not a deal :p)
They were 3 for £3, which is a deal because the larger bars usually sell for more than £1 each.

Oh I see, haha.

Wiped89

I don't buy the 3x multipack Cadbury for £1 either, when it used to be 4x, out of principle.

Yes, same, neither do I. That's another thing I can't stand.

The weird thing is that sometimes places like Pound land have the traditional 4 packs for £1 which they've obviously imported from somewhere in Europe where the size hasn't been cut.

I also haven't bought a single Creme Egg since they took Dairy Milk out of the recipe and cut the size of egg boxes to 5. Like real eggs come in boxes of 5? That ruins the ENTIRE point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom