• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TERA News, Information, & Beta Thread

Man I seriously wish this game was better in other areas to warrant a purchase, the combat system is awesome and really fun but the game is incredibly frustrating in other areas. The fact that the crafting is so utterly useless and unfriendly is a huge slight against the game for me. The boring ass quest design is another.

Scum

There's a risk of ending up in the LoL-Huntard or LoL-DeathKnight category if this plays out like other MMORPGs. I.E. the n00b class everyone is terrible with so no one trusts you.

If they do cross-server LFG you should be okay but don't be surprised if people keep passing you up for a Lancer.

I'm expecting it, actually. But I'm not going to be deterred. I picked a Warrior and I'm sticking with my choice. :D

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Man I seriously wish this game was better in other areas to warrant a purchase, the combat system is awesome and really fun but the game is incredibly frustrating in other areas. The fact that the crafting is so utterly useless and unfriendly is a huge slight against the game for me. The boring ass quest design is another.

Hmm? Didn't they add high tier level 60 crafted gear in the latest test? Also gathering gives you passive buffs that makes leveling easier.

I'd say hold off judgement of the game til after you see the level 1-40 redone areas. No clue at all what they are changing up :p

Hmm? Didn't they add high tier level 60 crafted gear in the latest test? Also gathering gives you passive buffs that makes leveling easier.

I'd say hold off judgement of the game til after you see the level 1-40 redone areas. No clue at all what they are changing up :p

I see what you're saying, but right now, it isn't just unbalanced, it's ridiculously broken and makes no damn sense.

Scum

I quite like the little buffs you can get from gathering. I'm seriously considering potions, scrolls and weapon crafting...

Xyber

Just stopped playing, so tired right now. Got to level 20 with my Sorcerer, really like to do the combos. Only died once when me and my friend got stuck in the geometry and three mob groups came at us at the same time.

Fun gameplay and runs perfectly with max settings on my 6950.

I thought I read something about downloading hi-res textures last week, I can't find anything about this in the settings? Did I just confuse this with another game?

Just stopped playing, so tired right now. Got to level 20 with my Sorcerer, really like to do the combos. Only died once when me and my friend got stuck in the geometry and three mob groups came at us at the same time.

Fun gameplay and runs perfectly with max settings on my 6950.

I thought I read something about downloading hi-res textures last week, I can't find anything about this in the settings? Did I just confuse this with another game?

If you were running on max, you saw the high detailed textures..

However, if you have the lighting enhance option on 2 (it is one of the ones near the bottom of the list), it makes things look blurry and you can't see the crispness of the sharp textures. Set it to 1 and you'll see the texture detail become more evident.

Xyber

If you were running on max, you saw the high detailed textures..

However, if you have the lighting enhance option on 2 (it is one of the ones near the bottom of the list), it makes things look blurry and you can't see the crispness of the sharp textures. Set it to 1 and you'll see the texture detail become more evident.

I searched the thread and found that it was downloaded in a patch before the last US beta.

The lighting thing might be it then, thought the game looked kind of blurry. Gonna try changing it now.

Edit: Tried it and now it looks better, though that effect covered up the bad AA. But I just applied 8xMSAA via CCC and now there is minimal aliasing and sharper textures. Thank you for that tip. :)

GvG is pretty much confirmed for PVE servers and EME is looking into adding a permanent toggle for Outlaw status on PVP servers.

EME comments on user feedback:

Minea said:
Hey guys,

Wanted to stop by to say that we are actively gathering and delivering the feedback we receive to Bluehole studios and working on making TERA the best it can be.

After the weekend, we've had multiple meetings specifically with the CBT2 feedback we've received from CBT2, and these are the meetings where we discuss how to improve TERA based on your feedback (I count 5 that I participated in with the community's feedback including the 2 we've had with Bluehole Studios in two days, and there's more coming!). We are definitely listening to you and also keeping track of what's being mentioned again from CBT1. It is one of the reasons why we opened a new CBT2 section, to compare and contrast the repeated feedback as well as adding the new ones. :)

There are however nearly 950 threads in CBT2 feedback forums alone, and we've also been trying to hunt down the scattered ones in other subforums such as the General Discussions area. So please be patient with us for not being able to make individual replies for all of the separate topics. But it is our goal to be as transparent and communicative as possible, and we will keep working on it!

Thank you!

Official RP PVE Server
EME will be launching the RP server, Celestial Hills, to be available for early character creation, open beta, and launch. They will be moderating the server and have setup some general guidelines for players to adhere to. The RP server is PVE and EME currently does not have any plans to set up a separate RP PVP server:

http://tera.enmasse.com/news/posts/give-a-greet-to-our-rp-server

Roleplay Server Rules and FAQ

EME posted the Popori race video:
TERA - Race Series: Popori

CBT3 Level Cap Announced:
The level cap for CBT3 will be 32, as posted on the official TERA Facebook page.

Whats broken? the crafting?

Try crafting a relevant weapon at level 10, 15, or 20.

By the time you have the crafting material, you've spent almost all of your money and you've got items which easily surpass the weapons you can make. This becomes worse around the 20 make where to make a single weapon set you need 5+ paverunes of titans.

Also leather working is pretty much impossible to get to 50 without serious farming because the dawnhide drop rate is absurdly low.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

By the time you have the crafting material, you've spent almost all of your money and you've got items which easily surpass the weapons you can make. This becomes worse around the 20 make where to make a single weapon set you need 5+ paverunes of titans.

Also leather working is pretty much impossible to get to 50 without serious farming because the dawnhide drop rate is absurdly low.

Well you level up so fast at that point it doesn't really mater. I wouldn't expect crafting things to matter much until the 40's. It's the same way in wow really.

Well you level up so fast at that point it doesn't really mater. I wouldn't expect crafting things to matter much until the 40's. It's the same way in wow really.

And it's bad, but it's no where near as bad in WoW, at least there the mats don't take a crazy amount of farming to acquire. You do out level the weapons fairly quickly, but you still have a little reason to use them. There's none in TERA.

No one will convince me this is good game design in the slightest, if you invest time and money in crafting, even at early levels you should be able to use the stuff you make, even if for a short time.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
And it's bad, but it's no where near as bad in WoW, at least there the mats don't take a crazy amount of farming to acquire. You do out level the weapons fairly quickly, but you still have a little reason to use them. There's none in TERA.

No one will convince me this is good game design in the slightest, if you invest time and money in crafting, even at early levels you should be able to use the stuff you make, even if for a short time.

Oh, I'm not saying it's good game design. I've always viewed crafting as being worthless in almost everything til it was maxed out. So I'm just not shocked. It's one of those suffer along then get a huge pay off type thing.

Westlo

By the time you have the crafting material, you've spent almost all of your money and you've got items which easily surpass the weapons you can make.

And that's different from other MMOs in what way?

And that's different from other MMOs in what way?

1) Just because other MMOs do it does not make it good.
2) It is considerably worse here compared to some of the other MMOs I have played for the reasons I explained before.

I actually like the ore/plant/crystal gathering in this game, less competitive and you're able to group gather, but the crafting itself is not good in the slightest.

I actually like the ore/plant/crystal gathering in this game, less competitive and you're able to group gather, but the crafting itself is not good in the slightest.

Most people don't consider crafting to be interesting or fun in MMOGs, which is why most MMOGs have dramatically de-emphasized it in recent years. The only recent MMOG which tried to expand the role of crafting into a full-time job alongside killing things was FFXIV, and we all know how that turned out. SWTOR removes gathering and crafting from your character completely and gives it over to your minions who you basically only supervise.

Tera is a game which is almost entirely centered on the fact that you kill things in a completely different way from almost all other MMOGs, so maybe you should get on with the killing things already and forget about standing in one spot and clicking menus in UI boxes to make virtual items pop out!

Most people don't consider crafting to be interesting or fun in MMOGs, which is why most MMOGs have dramatically de-emphasized it in recent years. The only recent MMOG which tried to expand the role of crafting into a full-time job alongside killing things was FFXIV, and we all know how that turned out. SWTOR removes gathering and crafting from your character completely and gives it over to your minions who you basically only supervise.

Tera is a game which is almost entirely centered on the fact that you kill things in a completely different way from almost all other MMOGs, so maybe you should get on with the killing things already and forget about standing in one spot and clicking menus in UI boxes to make virtual items pop out!

Sorry but if they include it in the game it's part of the experience, it's all well and good saying it's a pointless option, but pointless options shouldn't exist. As a part of the experience, it really messes with the feel of the game. Also I like crafting, the idea of creating my own equipment is really cool to me, and adds to the RPG aspect of the game so it's definitely something I try do in MMOs.

Maybe instead of telling me not to use a crappy part of a game, you should be telling the developers to remove crappy shit in their game or make it not crappy so people who want to enjoy it can enjoy it?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Sorry but if they include it in the game it's part of the experience, it's all well and good saying it's a pointless option, but pointless options shouldn't exist. As a part of the experience, it really messes with the feel of the game. Also I like crafting, the idea of creating my own equipment is really cool to me, and adds to the RPG aspect of the game so it's definitely something I try do in MMOs.

Maybe instead of telling me not to use a crappy part of a game, you should be telling the developers to remove crappy shit in their game or make it not crappy so people who want to enjoy it can enjoy it?

It's not crappy when you max it out :p

Gear you get while leveling and so on doesn't mean squat. It's not about the journey in an mmo when it comes to gear. It's about the end.

It's not crappy when you max it out :p

Gear you get while leveling and so on doesn't mean squat. It's not about the journey in an mmo when it comes to gear. It's about the end.

To me that sounds like a terrible game. I'm not going to put up with 80 levels of shit to get to the good stuff. I will put up with 80 levels of great to get to awesome stuff though, and that's how it should be.

Making early stuff shit is a really crappy way of making end game rewards seem better.

The game should work at all levels and not be focused on the very end game.

I shouldn't really have to justify this kind of position, especially when you're paying every month to play, you should be able to enjoy every aspect of the game from the very start.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
To me that sounds like a terrible game. I'm not going to put up with 80 levels of shit to get to the good stuff. I will put up with 80 levels of great to get to awesome stuff though, and that's how it should be.

Making early stuff shit is a really crappy way of making end game rewards seem better.

The game should work at all levels and not be focused on the very end game.

I shouldn't really have to justify this kind of position, especially when you're paying every month to play, you should be able to enjoy every aspect of the game from the very start.

You level in this game at the speed of light. Just a heads up. It doesn't really slow down til late 40's early 50's

I recommend Kingdoms of Amalur if you want crafting to have a big part into making you godlike at any level. It's a single player game though.

It sounds like it's just badly balanced then, I still find it indefensible that crafting is so difficult and so pointless at level 20.

I played the Alamur demo, might get it on sale at some point.

I should probably just PM this to Izayoi but posting here in case anyone else knows anything about it. I have been playing K-TERA again and ever since Friday the game will lock up and boot me from the server after about 5-10 minutes of play. The message translates via Google translate to something about a server connection error or server timeout:

게임이 알 수 없는 오류로 종료되었습니다.
먼저 테라를 플레이하는 PC의 환경을 점검해보신 후
재접속하여 주시기 바랍니다.
만약 지속적으로 게임 이용이 불가능할 경우,
고객센터를 통하여 문의하여 주시기 바랍니다.

I'm still getting this today and everything was fine prior to Friday. Is the server just having issues? Any ideas?

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

That's not true, you can do most of your own gathering in the wild, there are nodes everywhere. You just don't HAVE to do it that way.

I should probably just PM this to Izayoi but posting here in case anyone else knows anything about it. I have been playing K-TERA again and ever since Friday the game will lock up and boot me from the server after about 5-10 minutes of play. The message translates via Google translate to something about a server connection error or server timeout:

I'm still getting this today and everything was fine prior to Friday. Is the server just having issues? Any ideas?

I haven't been having that problem at all..

btw, I joined the Liberation guild on Konashi

Now my Enchanting complaint. The success percentage is way too low for enchanting. I literally took like 10+ T4 weapons to try and upgrade a level 22 weapon and it got me to +4, then back down to +2 by the end of it! By the time I acquire enough weapons to get it's stats up to anything useful I will have once again moved on far beyond it being useful.

It's really frustrating to buy 4 T4 weapons from auction and try to enchant only to fail 4 times and 2 of those times have your item enchantment reduced. This. Is. Not. fun.

I think I want to get in on this... god damn the art style looks awesome!

How have I never cared about this enough to look in on it.

I've been scared of MMO's since WoW but I should give them a chance... Guild Wars 2 also has my attention.... this looks intriguing!

Now my Enchanting complaint. The success percentage is way too low for enchanting. I literally took like 10+ T4 weapons to try and upgrade a level 22 weapon and it got me to +4, then back down to +2 by the end of it! By the time I acquire enough weapons to get it's stats up to anything useful I will have once again moved on far beyond it being useful.

It's really frustrating to buy 4 T4 weapons from auction and try to enchant only to fail 4 times and 2 of those times have your item enchantment reduced. This. Is. Not. fun.

There has to be something to grind at endgame, or everyone will quit. Enchanting is a popular grind in the Korean games. There's no point is trying to heavily enchant stuff you're not using at endgame, it will all be replaced anyways.

Mupod

Wrote up a little breakdown of the classes I've played:

1. Aman (M) Lancer (22) on Serpentis Isle (NA) - Somewhat long/boring leveling, but that was partly my fault 'cause I was experimenting a lot, trying the crafting etc. Very fun instance tanking that initially had me convinced I wanted a Lancer on retail. I always prefer to be a tank class in this kind of game and being required to manually block was a great dynamic. Didn't do any PVP, not even duels. BAMs were incredibly easy to solo, to the point where the practice I got on them didn't help with my other characters at all.

Video is of me tanking the first boss in Secret Base:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqHmQlah154

I really need to get him to 27 and try out the leash, but he's stuck on a PVE server and that's nowhere near as fun as PVP to me.

2. Popori Slayer (22) on Essenia (EU) - Kinda sucked until level 16, then overhead strike turned it into an actual class. Loved the Popori dodge animation. Soloing/Duoing BAMs was very fun. Instance DPS wasn't half as fun as tanking on the Lancer. PVP was nearly impossible on laggy CBT1 EU servers but I could wreck people pretty fast if I landed a knockdown.

Video is of me duoing a Basilisk with somebody, we were grinding them to level:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvtqbSgAT7o

3. Elin Berserker (27) on Valley of Titans (NA) - Really enjoyed this class. Leveled fast as hell, instance DPS was fairly interesting and BAM soloing was almost as fun as it was on the Slayer. PVP was great, I got to run around one shotting enemy healers all weekend and I didn't have the problems with kiting that people were reporting. Lancers drove me nuts though, they can very easily lock you down and prevent you from getting to the vulnerable cloth wearers. Very hard to find a group because my guild, which was very Mystic heavy before, instead decided to try out Berserkers and Slayers instead this time around.

4. Aman (F) Warrior (27) on Essenia (EU) - Initially dismissed this class because it looked terrible. Eating my words now and as of this moment this has a 90% chance of being my class on retail. Leveling was fast and interesting, but I made the class with the intention of tanking and I was thoroughly impressed. It makes Lancer tanking look like incredibly basic easymode, and being a 'dodge tank' isn't as awkward as it sounds on paper. Warriors are actually quite durable - in defensive stance I had higher defense than my Berserker did, and the zerker had better gear. I honestly believed that Warriors would have a lot of trouble doing fast trash pulls but I had no difficulty piling up 2-4 pulls at a time in Sinistral Manor. The hardest part was dealing with the long cooldown of their taunt, their lack of stuns, and cycling roll/Death From Above without wasting them - a big problem was that some of the integral skills (stuns) don't come until later levels. They also have a LOT of skills - I'm considering a Razer Naga just to deal with them all. I didn't run into any people complaining about my tanking even when my internet was taking a dump and I had 4000 ping on Malgarios. Also didn't run into much if any prejudice towards warrior tanks outside of one group of people who were used to running with Lancers who pulled half the instance at once. Even so, rushing like that accomplishes nothing but making you wait around for 45 minutes while your timer reset. And I still cleared the place so fast that my groups had to wait for 20-30 afterwards.

Anyways, I'd never play a warrior as a DPS class. That'd be awful, trust me just be a Slayer instead if you want light armor agile melee DPS. Didn't have time to get any PVP in or make any videos because I started late, had to relevel and my server had insane queues.

I haven't been having that problem at all..

btw, I joined the Liberation guild on Konashi

What level is your priest now? I'm abandoning my higher level jobs so hopefully I can catch up. I re-rolled as a Berserker named Kuronuma and so far managed to solo Basilisks, Kumas, Nagas, and the Kumas/Nagas boss. Almost at the 27 instance...

What level is your priest now? I'm abandoning my higher level jobs so hopefully I can catch up. I re-rolled as a Berserker named Kuronuma and so far managed to solo Basilisks, Kumas, Nagas, and the Kumas/Nagas boss. Almost at the 27 instance...

my priest just turned 41.. she's getting to be a big girl now \o/

I have Amarah (lv 22 slayer) and Pai (Lancer) at lv 23.. both are still in GAF..

T.O.P

Banned
I got my key but it was invalid, caused me to miss CB1. I created a support ticket on http://tera-en.custhelp.com/app/home if you haven't already and just bitch like hell. They previously told me my key was active even though it clearly wasn't since I couldn't log into the beta and I pretty much just acted like a dick in the second ticket and someone got back to me within hours with a CB2 key. They still haven't resolved my key issue but at least I can play.

Frogster really are a fucking joke.

Thank you, read it too late though, i was going crazy that i would miss the CB2 so i decided to buy another one, after ten minute i got both keys, pretty non-sense but good for me in the end lol

I got lv16 as a Berserker during the weekend, it looks and plays amazingly good, i got 5-6 friends interested in the game, so hopefully we'll start a guild in the CB3

It's my first MMO ever, gotta say is a pretty exciting experience

Ricker

I got a key from someone here last time for CB2...will I be able to keep on playing with my level 11 Slayer next weekend or will I need to try and get another key? didn't pre-order yet...

Muddimar

I'm dying to know the CBT3 info. I wish they would release something about it already. I want to know what the level cap is going to be, new areas, instances, etc.

I got a key from someone here last time for CB2...will I be able to keep on playing with my level 11 Slayer next weekend or will I need to try and get another key? didn't pre-order yet...

You will need another key and if you don't pre-order, you will likely lose your character progress. The keys that most sites are giving away are meant to be one-time access passes.

I'm dying to know the CBT3 info. I wish they would release something about it already. I want to know what the level cap is going to be, new areas, instances, etc.

The CBT3 level cap was announced as 32 on their Facebook page. They said they are putting together another information post about CBT3 this week.

There has to be something to grind at endgame, or everyone will quit. Enchanting is a popular grind in the Korean games. There's no point is trying to heavily enchant stuff you're not using at endgame, it will all be replaced anyways.

I understand that, I just don't see why it should be that way. The MMO community seems to have come to some kind of concession with these problems and have written them off as normal and to be expected. Why should enchanting be a useless moneysink at lower levels and only useful at end game? The system is in place at lower levels and so it should server a purpose at lower levels. Simple as that.

I know eastern MMO games tend to favour the end game big time, but there's no reason that should be accepted as good design, to me it's indefensibly bad.

I understand that, I just don't see why it should be that way. The MMO community seems to have come to some kind of concession with these problems and have written them off as normal and to be expected. Why should enchanting be a useless moneysink at lower levels and only useful at end game? The system is in place at lower levels and so it should server a purpose at lower levels. Simple as that.

I know eastern MMO games tend to favour the end game big time, but there's no reason that should be accepted as good design, to me it's indefensibly bad.

I wouldn't call enchanting at lower levels useless. I don't recommend enchanting much beyond a +3 at early levels, but there are still some benefits to be gained and it doesn't really get that expensive until +6. I would wait until at least level 22, where there is a 5 level gap before your next weapon or armor upgrade.

That said, this is certainly one of those conventional systems (like crafting and questing) that could probably use a significant revamp in the genre.

Bluehole was formed in 2007 and though TERA is new to us, it has actually been several years since its inception so there are still some left-over and accepted ideas from a different period. I wonder if the game had launched in Q1/Q2 of last year as originally planned (prior to all the SWTOR and GW2 hype), if people's perception of these systems would be different.

Top Bottom