• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Leaked Tom Clancy's The Division Closed Alpha Gameplay (Xbox One)

Cool, more Ubisoft stans.

I liked the game years ago, now I don't really care to be honest. uPlay on PC and I already have one always online pseudo MMO game on consoles to fill my needs.

Graphics don't bother me, and like others have said the Youtube videos probably aren't the best indicator for quality.

Nonetheless, my hype for the game has significantly damped since this game was announced. Probably will drop in price very quickly like most Ubi games after release and might pick it up later to play with some friends if it does turn out okay.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
That's an official Ubisoft video.
Nothing in this video can be taken as fact AT ALL.
Yes it can. Massive, the studio making the game as well as the creators of the engine. has no reason to lie. They've actually been incredibly honest about the stuff they've actually removed from the game that was shown in past trailers.

If memory serves, Ubisoft isn't exactly the poster child for PC gaming either...

...remember Watch_Dogs? What an unmitigated clusterf*ck that turned out to be....
Ofc not, it was crossgen unfortunately. I mean the biggest controversy was the graphics and even with that it turned out to be an incredibly successful new IP with a next gen only sequel in development. So there's that.

Theorry

It's all relative. I think Watch Dogs applies to that same reasoning. Ubi does need to tone down a bit showing some of their games the way they do. It's not so much as believing them... I think a fair share of folks out there and here on Gaf are cautious when Ubi games are shown this way. When the downgrade happens, calling it out should be expected, whether you "knew it", or not.

This is an area where "targeting marketing" comes in handy if you know you're unsure/gonna slip more than likely. Still a disappointment for a lot of folks when you come out and say you're not going to meet that "target" but at least you were warned, in writing. As opposed to say, nothing.

Thats true yeah. Division was also way to early announced. They need to stop that. And i believe they are doing that more now. But people are just to quick with "downgrade" these days. Its a Ubi game and they created that mess themself offcourse. But i think alot of threads derail to fast to that nowadays. Wich is shame, Because its still a great looking game imo. From what i played in the alpha.

T.E.D

Banned
Yes it can.Massive, the studio making the game as well as the creators of the engine.has no reason to lie. They've actually been incredibly honest about the stuff they've actually removed from the game that was shown in past trailers.

Ofc not, it was crossgen unfortunately. I mean the biggest controversy was the graphics and even with that it turned out to be an incredibly successful new IP with a next gen only sequel in development. So there's that.

Crossgen is no gauge in measuring. Granted, developers don't have to consider the old machines but there is still no excuse in sending out poorly optimized products regardless of what it's for. Just look at Assassin's Creed: Unity....that was not cross gen and yet it was a total mess. You see, Ubisoft have a long history of this....you can't blame people for being highly suspicious of anything Ubisoft. They reap what they sow.

specdot

Looks like Destiny clone with Ubisoft sparkle of boring.
You put into words what my brain couldn't.
I'll add that it looks like a bad Destiny clone at that. I know it's still in "alpha", but it does look boring. I'm still hoping the studio behind this (name escapes me) can pull it together for release.

Crossing Eden

Crossgen is no gauge in measuring. Granted, developers don't have to consider the old machines but there is still no excuse in sending out poorly optimized products regardless of what it's for. Just look at Assassin's Creed: Unity....that was not cross gen and yet it was a total mess. You see, Ubisoft have a long history of this....you can't blame people for being highly suspicious of anything Ubisoft. They reap what they sow.
Ubisoft doesn't have a history of releasing games in the same state as ACU, which was an outlier. Watch Dogs wasn't even a clusterfuck, it had great performance on the next gen consoles. And yes, crossgen is likely the main if not the sole reason why Watch Dogs had to be downgraded not just in asset quality but with the geometry of the world as well.

Don't really get the hate. Played the alpha with friends and loved it. I feel it has loads of potential, but preorder and play the beta and judge for yourself. To each their own.

As a big destiny fan, this scratched the same itch, especially as I have run out of energy for destiny.

Also, it's my understanding you will be able to play all story single player if you'd like.

T.E.D

Banned
Ubisoft doesn't have a history of releasing games in the same state as ACU, which was an outlier. Watch Dogs wasn't even a clusterfuck, it had great performance on the next gen consoles. And yes, crossgen is likely the main if not the sole reason why Watch Dogs had to be downgraded not just in asset quality but with the geometry of the world as well.

Hang on for a second, you're using PS4 to tell us how great Ubisoft are with PC? What has PS4 got to do with PC?

Unity was certainly not an outlier - this is a common trend with Ubisoft. So much so that it's been well documented. The company are well known for crappy ports and poor optimization. From Jim Sterling to Totalbiscuit, just about everyone has covered the fecklessness of Ubisoft.

Saying something is bad because it's cross gen is simply no excuse and consumers have every right to be weary of Ubisoft after they pulled this kind of crap one too many times before. Trust has to be earned and for a lot of gamers too many bridges have been burned that it will take years of work on Ubisofts part to regain it in any meaningful manner.

Crossing Eden

Hang on for a second, you're using PS4 to tell us how great Ubisoft are with PC? What has PS4 got to do with PC?

Unity was certainly not an outlier - this is a common trend with Ubisoft. So much so that it's been well documented. The company are well known for crappy ports and poor optimization. From Jim Sterling to Totalbiscuit, just about everyone has covered the fecklessness of Ubisoft.

Saying something is bad because it's cross gen is simply no excuse and consumers have every right to be weary of Ubisoft after they pulled this kind of crap one too many times before. Trust has to be earned and for a lot of gamers too many bridges have been burned that it will take years of work on Ubisofts part to regain it in any meaningful manner.
Oh I wasn't aware that we were talking specifically about pc. And no games like Unity are not a common trend.

What the hell is wrong with people?

Instead of shitting on a game that's not even released yet why not wait for it to release and judge it on its actual merits. Sure you can argue it's close enough but that just does the devs a disservice. If the game comes out and you still want to crap on it fine. But judging a game before it's released is stupid In any context. The only thing you can judge is if it interests you at all.

People complaining about no single player campaign and yet the whole video was a single player going through a campaign.

People complaining about boring which I assume is from maybe some empty streets. Could that possibly be from it being alpha and missing a lot of content? Possibly. Could it be it really is empty? Possibly.

Only release will tell.

Just sick of negative Nancy's that harp on every little thing on every game before it comes out.

It's like judging a famous painting on its initial sketch and under coats before the final layer is put on. It makes you look idiotic especially when the painting is seen through a very compressed Xbox and Then YouTube video and when you've been told this isn't the final product.

It is, but nowhere near as severe as Watchdogs. Watchdogs killed my hype for The Division, the alpha brought it back. The city is incredible.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking.

I can ignore the graphics because alpha but the game itself looks great.

After the whole downgrade debacle, I ignored The Division completely but these videos brought back my interest.

And I'm just going by the videos I have available and it points to this games framerate being unstable particularly when in combat.

You better not buy it then when it comes out because this alpha build. Hurry. get as far away as possible.

Theorry

And I'm just going by the videos I have available and it points to this games framerate being unstable particularly when in combat.

I can tell you its fine. It had some framedrops. But they felt very random. Sometimes nothing was happening and it dropped abit. Wich is just optimization and it being a alpha.. But overall the framerate felt really good. Even if i was playing with 3 of my buddies and shit was going down,.

Proxy

I can tell you its fine. It had some framedrops. But they felt very random. Sometimes nothing was happening and it dropped abit. Wich is just optimization and it being a alpha.. But overall the framerate felt really good. Even if i was playing with 3 of my buddies and shit was going down,.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see if there's any difference in the "beta" next year.

You better not buy it then when it comes out because this alpha build. Hurry. get as far away as possible.

Yeah.. Okay bud.

BKG

Banned
Wish I could upload the footage I captured..these videos suck and are a poor representation of the game. Graphics are great for an alpha, frame rate was solid and the dark zone is one of the most interesting takes on PVP that I've seen. I was skeptical until I played it, now I'm 100% on board. I have lived in Brooklyn my whole life and they have captured the city very well from what I have seen so far.

RPGam3r

Game looks awesome, can't wait... well I did wait as I choose not to play the alpha or beta.

A lot of responses in this thread are so predictable though...

Theorry

I guess we'll just have to wait and see if there's any difference in the "beta" next year.

I think thats the best yeah. Everybody should do that also. I mean getting in the beta isnt going to be very difficult. I mean i also dont know why i got in the alpha. Only thing i did was getting on the waiting list in the summer when they announced the beta.

For me the alpha triggered something again. Loved the reveal and then it died down. And the game was even off my radar abit. But the alpha put it back on the radar. I just really enjoyed wich i didnt expected anymore. Still gonna try the beta for any final decision.

Shredderi

What the hell is wrong with people?

Instead of shitting on a game that's not even released yet why not wait for it to release and judge it on its actual merits. Sure you can argue it's close enough but that just does the devs a disservice. If the game comes out and you still want to crap on it fine. But judging a game before it's released is stupid In any context. The only thing you can judge is if it interests you at all.

People complaining about no single player campaign and yet the whole video was a single player going through a campaign.

People complaining about boring which I assume is from maybe some empty streets. Could that possibly be from it being alpha and missing a lot of content? Possibly. Could it be it really is empty? Possibly.

Only release will tell.

Just sick of negative Nancy's that harp on every little thing on every game before it comes out.

It's like judging a famous painting on its initial sketch and under coats before the final layer is put on. It makes you look idiotic especially when the painting is seen through a very compressed Xbox and Then YouTube video and when you've been told this isn't the final product.

No. That's not how this forum discussion thing goes. We assess the games based on what we see. We use all the available information at any given moment. Do we have all the information about everything included in the game? No we don't. Guess who else don't have all the information about what's in the game? The people who are liking what they see and are saying they're buying based on the information they have now. It HAS to go both ways. If we're not allowed to critisize the game based on what we have now then we also are not allowed to make positive assesments of it. It's a forum and we discuss, critisize, praise and judge based on the information at hand.

The game still look gorgeous but the moment-to-moment gameplay is looking disappointingly, but not surprisingly static and boring. I feel like the game would have benefitted from ditching some of the more gamey RPG elements and have it feel more like, I don't know, The last of Us but without the infected. Mixture of frenetic survival shooting mixed with some hide and seek stealth. It just needs to be more fun, I think. Such a gorgeous map to build a game on and it just looks a little too by the numbers right now. Hopefully they can turn that ship around.

Theorry

Also something from the alpha. Was shown in the alpha topic here. But maybe people missed it.

ShockedGloriousFruitfly.gif

Ryuuga

Banned
The game still look gorgeous but the moment-to-moment gameplay is looking disappointingly, but not surprisingly static and boring. I feel like the game would have benefitted from ditching some of the more gamey RPG elements and have it feel more like, I don't know,.

A friend and I were discussing this very point as we watched the vids. I know there is an overabundance of survival games on PC, but this setting would lend itself well to games like DayZ, Rust, H1Z1 etc., Also there hasn't been a AAA effort amongst titles like them. An engaging story/coop campaign to get you used to the mechanics, then a multiplayer sandbox where survival is key (maybe with a common goal that factions could work towards)

Mahonay

Banned
Yikes, looks like 720p. Hopefully the PC version will resemble that initial reveal gameplay.
You definitely can't tell what resolution the game is actually running at with those potato quality video captures. Also console alphas often run at a lower res than the final version.

Crossing Eden

Yikes, looks like 720p. Hopefully the PC version will resemble that initial reveal gameplay.
You should never try to judge IQ from a youtube video.

AC games always had frame rate problems on console. Like since the first one.

Edit: At least on PS3 where I played.
Edit2: But it was never like Unity, I'll give you that.
On ps3 yea but a lot of open world games suffered on ps3 compared to 360.

Shredderi

A friend and I were discussing this very point as we watched the vids. I know there is an overabundance of survival games on PC, but this setting would lend itself well to games like DayZ, Rust, H1Z1 etc., Also there hasn't been a AAA effort amongst titles like them. An engaging story/coop campaign to get you used to the mechanics, then a multiplayer sandbox where survival is key (maybe with a common goal that factions could work towards)

It's not a bad idea.

Top Bottom