• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does the story in Fallout new vegas get better?

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Im about 5hrs into Fallout New Vegas, I got to the town with the giant rocket and I have to buy loads of little rockets from the shop and so far the story is really quite boring, does it get better?

Sosokrates

Very helpful..

Man... I thought new vegas was meant to be the best fallout in the last 10 years.
3 and 4 had great stories.

Rellik

In all seriousness, I don't even remember the story so i obviously wasn't that into it, but I'd at least wait until you're at the strip because that's the main chunk of the game (if you're not there already)

ToKre

you indeed do make your own story it's not linear it's a true RPG, so many factions to side with so many factions to bring down the game world half way in will literally behave according to what you chose through out, such a great game.

Sosokrates

Well, in FNV you kinda make the story yourself, more than in 3 or 4.
The story with the sending the ghouls into space is cool, but after that the game seems really uncompelling.I just want interesting things to do and stories that are good.

Im the sort of gamer who cant play a game for longer then 1hr if its a borefest.

I guess I will give it another chance but if I put a few hrs into it and its still boring i will game elseware.

you indeed do make your own story it's not linear it's a true RPG, so many factions to side with so many factions to bring down the game world half way in will literally behave according to what you chose through out, such a great game.

What do u mean by true RPG?
Arnt fallout 4 and 3 RPGs.
to be honest you play a role in every game.

Peroroncino

It gets better, way better, the beginning can be a bit slow, but the plot ultimately unravels into the best story out of any 3d fallout games by a country mile.

Calibos

Im about 5hrs into Fallout New Vegas, I got to the town with the giant rocket and I have to buy loads of little rockets from the shop and so far the story is really quite boring, does it get better?

It's definitely a slow burn until the half way point. Once you have to start making loyalty decisions is where things heat up. I am not sure how far in that is though...I remember being a little bored though.

Rick1o1

The main story is not that great. It's more the individual side quests that stand out. I remember this one quest where you had to find hookers for different customers. One liked ghouls, one normal people and for one you had to find a crazy sex robot. You could also "test" the robot wich was hilarious.

_Aaron_

3 and 4 had great stories.

TEu9E7u.png

Andodalf

Banned
It’s a great game, but maybe not for you! Not a big deal, move on. It’s okay to not like a game, even if others do.

Spacejaws

I thought the main story had a good amount of drive compared to 3. 3 I was interested in finding ‘Dad’ but once you do the story nosedives.

I think New Vegas does a good job giving you a focus that doesn’t seem overbearing. It doesn’t break the script if you start aimlessly exploring compared to 3 where it feels like you should pretty much be high tailing it to your next objective.

Redshirt

Banned
I don't think New Vegas is aging well, which makes its story harder to appreciate since the in-between bits felt like a slog on my most recent and probably last play-through.

The conversations and freedom of choice are still very good if you can push through to the point where you care.

The FO4 story is a clusterfuck of silliness imo with zero choices that mattered and very little good dialogue.

I'd play up until you reach New Vegas and meet certain characters there. I'm a much bigger fan of Fallout 3 over FNV for the record. FNV's plot does get a lot more interesting once you get to the city and meet Yes Man and Mr House.

Velius

Banned
I love you Gaf.

I am not being facetious. This new trend of "Does _____ get any better" is entertaining, and the breadth of the responses is just gold.

In all honesty I've never played New Vegas. I loved 3. I loved 4 too but just haven't gotten around to finishing it.

I think with NV I had played 3 so much, I was like "This is fine. This is sufficient, no need to go back into it."

Sosokrates

I'm so sorry.

I dont get the F4 hate, yes I can understand it might not be in ppls top 10 this gen,but it definitely aint a bad game, while the story may not have the best finishes, the jouney was one hell of a blast. It had crazy twists and many cool locations, plus the side storys like discovering a farthers attempt to make a nuke bunker for his family or discovering the robbers in the sewers and lots of others was utterly fascinating, and combine that with some grrat graphics that while not being on uncharted 4s level were very impressive for such a massive open world game.

Sosokrates

I think with NV I had played 3 so much, I was like "This is fine. This is sufficient, no need to go back into it."

Thats what I thought to, but GAF made NV sound like , leagues above any other 3d fallout so I thought I would give it go

wenaldy

Fallout 4 dialouge: Yes, No, Sarcastic, Persuasion

New Vegas dialogue: Yes, No, Sarcastic, Persuasion, Kill, Lie, Bribe, Barter, Stealth, Cannibalism...etc

The side quests, factions, and companion stories are where all the fun is at.

PS. Use a guide for the Khan's they are by far the trickiest if you want people to live.

The main quest isnt all that remarkable its the side quest that really gets interesting. Especially for the Side quest for Boone.

NYCrooner

The story was a bit disjointed but still entertaining. What really makes NV the best 3D Fallout is the world. I’m a big fan of Vegas and the whole Rat Pack thing, so I spent hours just wondering around the map listening to New Vegas radio. I would kill for a Switch version.

120v

new vegas doesn't throw the main narrative in your face like most modern RPGs. there's just a handful of "holy fuck" moments that tie everything together rather than a contingency of plot points carrying you from point A to B

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
If you plan on doing all the factions in one play through makes sure you make a different save when you get to that point save you doing the beginning all over again.

Triteon

Its sidequest/faction and companion heavy, also the companions have hard to trigger questlines. If you need a driving narrative it might not be for you.

If gannon and veronicas quests dont grab u give it up i guess. Although it can be hard to trigger them.

Aztorian

F3 is my favourite by far. To be honest I would have loved to see F3 come to this gen in a remaster or even VR and Switch over Skyrim.

NV kinda went through on the same rails as F3 which makes it a great game with a different story but kinda plays the same.

F4 on the other hand was a great game for exploration and was a decent shooter. But it just was not a good Fallout game. Was it a good game? Yes-ish, but a good Fallout game? No.

DarkestHour

Banned
It is pretty good once you get further along. I don't play Fallout games for the story though.

To be frank, the voice acting in the game is awful and the world is way too sparse in what there is to do.

The RPG elements are great, the music is great, and Vegas is cool.

Could never get into this game. They should have made it isometric instead of basically a fallout 3 expansion. While the writing may be "better" in NV it just lacks whatever it is Bethesda does to keep you playing.

Top Bottom