• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Pre-order Thread - iPhone 8, 8+, Watch Series 3, AppleTV 4K

So I am part of that program. If you go through the AT&T website to do your upgrade, select the option to upgrade your phone, the website will prompt you to pay the remainder you owe (if you do) for the amount to upgrade your phone. I was on the 24 month program and I had 2 months left to go so I had to pay off 2 months and the website charged my credit card for those 2 months I had left. Then when you select the new phone during the checkout process it will say how you want to pay for the new phone, you can either do Next 30 (get an upgrade every 2 years), Next 24 (get an upgrade every year), or pay it outright. After selecting the payment plan you are finished the checkout process.

Does this mean one shouldn’t bother with Apple’s site when using AT&T Next while taking advantage of the Every Year upgrade, trading in the previous phone?

Does this mean one shouldn't bother with Apple's site when using AT&T Next while taking advantage of the Every Year upgrade, trading in the previous phone?
I am not sure if you bought your previous phone through AT&T or Apple, but normally I like to do my phone upgrades through the carrier's website or go to their store. I find things go smoother in case there are issues with things like the Next program, but that may be just me. I am not sure Apple would know how to do deal with the Next program or whatnot.

Going through AT&T's website to upgrade my phone to the iPhone 8 with the Next program went pretty smoothly for me and I owed 2 months because I bought my previous phone in November, which they let me pay off today.

CydonianKnight

Neo Member
I am part of that program. If you go through the AT&T website to do your upgrade, select the option to upgrade your phone, the website will prompt you to pay the remainder you owe (if you do) for the amount to upgrade your phone. I was on the 30 month program and I had 2 months left to go (for 24 months) so I had to pay off 2 months and the website charged my credit card for those 2 months I had left. Then when you select the new phone during the checkout process it will say how you want to pay for the new phone, you can either do Next 30 (get an upgrade every 2 years by trading in your phone after 24 months, or pay off the phone in 30 months), Next 24 (get an upgrade every year by trading in your phone after 12 months, or pay off the phone in 24 months), or pay it outright. After selecting the payment plan you are finished the checkout process.

Hm. So weird. It wouldn't even allow me to change the payment plan. It just selected the full price and that was it. I ended up doing the pre-order through Apple instead and signed up for their upgrade plan. I'll probably go speak with an AT&T rep at a store about dealing with the remainder on my plan by trading in my old phone when the new one arrives just to make sure everything is square.

An-Det

Just woke up and put in my order for a space grey 256 GB (would be 128 if it was there, I don't need that much space), nice and easy and well rested as last year. Pick-up is next Friday. For those in the apple upgrade program, when you go to the store to swap phones do you need to bring anything with you that came with the previous phone (like the charger)? First year just ended so I'm unsure.

Now to figure out what the deal is for the LTE watch and my Verizon grandfathered unlimited data plan, now that that's open. It's probably not what I want to hear, though.

Quonny

Do they sell out every year?

Honestly if I was going to get 8+, I would wait for X too. I mean if you spending $800 already, why not just spend $200 extra and get the best out there.
I actually think the X looks worse than the 8+.

Less battery life, bleeding edge risk, awkward implementation of features, $200 more, same internals, etc.

X2/X3 should be nice.

Hm. So weird. It wouldn't even allow me to change the payment plan. It just selected the full price and that was it. I ended up doing the pre-order through Apple instead and signed up for their upgrade plan. I'll probably go speak with an AT&T rep at a store about dealing with the remainder on my plan by trading in my old phone when the new one arrives just to make sure everything is square.
Did you log in with your account, went to "My wireless", then "Upgrade a device", then did you select your current cell phone? At that point it should have prompted you to pay off the remainder you owed to pay off your phone for the Next program.

Link

The Autumn Wind
I'm gonna wait to check out and see what the feedback on the X is like, particularly Face ID. If I like it, I'll order one for myself later in. Otherwise, I'll just get the 8. My 6 is getting long in the tooth.

People keep saying the X has worse battery life and bleeding edge potential. What does that mean
Not sure about battery issues, but by "bleeding-edge" people are saying there are new components in the X that no one knows what kind of hardware issues will crop up (if they do, they may not) when people actually start using the phone in real world conditions that have not been tested yet by Apple. Like with the antenna issues of the iPhone 4.

kaskade

The iPhone 8/ 8 Plus is sitting, everyone's waiting for the iPhone X

I'm surprised no models are backordered yet. I guess the 8 is going to be the upgrade phone for people whenever they need it. It's not going to be heavily preordered since those people are looking for the X and will be doing that day one. The 8 will probably sell well overall as the people who want an iPhone but don't want to spend 1k on a phone will get that when they need an upgrade.

I just hope apple is using these 2 months to really build up a good supply of the X. I'm on the upgrade program so putting it 2 months after the traditional release date is making me pay 2 more payments on the 7+ which isn't really as cost effective as upgrading it right at 12 months.

Thought about preordering a 8 Plus on Verizon, not much more than the 6S I just paid off. It's been a while since I bought a phone so I might have paid this before but what is this $30 random charge they want? I assume an activation fee?

You should have no problems. Everyone waiting for the X or Apple is doomed.

Yup got my preorder in. The X looks really nice but I am not feeling paying 1K for a first generation featured phone. Again I am sure it's fine but i'd like to checking around X3 time. My iphone 6 is just too long in the tooth to wait as well.

Voidance

I got my order in for a SS Series 3 8 minutes after the store opened (my laptop browser kept telling me the store was down from 12:01 to 12:07 for some reason) and the delivery window is Oct 6 - 13.

For folks who have ordered previous versions of the Watch, does this window usually get moved up to release day or am I stuck waiting?

Like the 8+ is a huge upgrade from my 6+, but the fact that it looks 95% the same, makes it not feel like an upgrade. How do i get excited about forking over nearly $900 it?
I am in a similar boat as you here (6+S), but I am doing it for the better internals (CPU, more RAM), true-tone display, water resistance, and a better camera that can do 4K/60fps.

Pein

Banned
It does suck I gotta pay nearly a grand for the 8+, I think apple overpriced it. It would be more tolerable if 128gb was available because I still near 15 gigs left on my 64gb so 256 seems like overkill.

I'm gonna go to the store to preorder it but it's gonna suck to see the note 8 with bleeding edge tech next to a phone that looks like my current 2 year old phone.

Apple could have at least put in a oled 1080p screen or gave the fast charger for free.

If you get the iPhone X through apple's upgrade program, you probably won't be eligible for an upgrade next year at the regular iPhone rollout, correct?

Red

If you get the iPhone X through apple's upgrade program, you probably won't be eligible for an upgrade next year at the regular iPhone rollout, correct?
You are eligible to upgrade after 6 months. You make up the price difference between your early upgrade and 1 year of payments. So if you get the phone in November you’ll have to make an extra payment or two.

Maybe I've finally reached the point where I just don't care anymore. My 6s+ is sitting here and if I replaced it with an 8+ (as I planned to up until this moment), what would the real benefit be? At a glance the phone wouldn't even look any different.

I'd still look at Twitter, iMessage, and GAF on it, and that'd be about it. I can do all that now with no issue. Only now I wouldn't be able to plug in my headphones which is still a real point of contention for me. Maybe phones have just become boring.

Pein

Banned
Maybe I've finally reached the point where I just don't care anymore. My 6s+ is sitting here and if I replaced it with an 8+ (as I planned to up until this moment), what would the real benefit be?

I'd still look at Twitter, iMessage, and GAF on it. And that'd be about it. I can do all that now with no issue. Maybe phones have just become boring.
I think the x changed to much and feels half assed and the 8 feels like the same phone they've been selling since the 6.

Woke up at 3am and got myself an 8am release date check in time.

I could have gotten it mailed but my wife and I sort of like the release day tradition of showing up to the Apple store early.

Futureman

I might consider the iPhone 7.

My GF and I want to move to T-Mobile soon. ~$20/month for the 32 GB smaller 7 sounds good to me.

I have never had an iphone/know nothing about how phone pre-orders work in general but how is apple with keeping up stock? Thinking about getting my first iphone/non budget phone this holiday season (The 8+ more specifically) but I was curious if new phones are in short supply the first few months or are easy enough to get past the pre-order period. Sorry if it's a silly question.

I think the x changed to much and feels half assed and the 8 feels like the same phone they've been selling since the 6.

Maybe. I don't even want the X. For reasons I can't even name, it feels totally uninteresting to me.

I'm only interested in the 8+ for the better battery (mine is two years old and definitely not holding the charge it used to) and the nicer camera, I guess.

I could afford a $1,000 phone. But it's just crazy to me in principle. Not gonna do it. I guess an $800 should sound just as crazy especially since mine works fine.

About to walk across the street to the Sprint store to pre-order.
Going to switch from the 6s to the 8+. Thank you iphone forever.

I'm truly waiting for the second version of the IphoneX

I have never had an iphone/know nothing about how phone pre-orders work in general but how is apple with keeping up stock? Thinking about getting my first iphone/non budget phone this holiday season (The 8+ more specifically) but I was curious if new phones are in short supply the first few months or are easy enough to get past the pre-order period. Sorry if it's a silly question.

Based on the fact that I can still order one now, at 9:30am, for release date delivery, I think you should be okay if you're wanting an 8.

For the X maybe you'd have trouble.

Red

Maybe. I don't even want the X. For reasons I can't even name, it feels totally uninteresting to me.

I'm only interested in the 8+ for the better battery (mine is two years old and definitely not holding the charge it used to) and the nicer camera, I guess.

I could afford a $1,000 phone. But it's just crazy to me in principle. Not gonna do it. I guess an $800 should sound just as crazy especially since mine works fine.
You’ll see people say “It’s only $200 more, what’s the difference?” The difference is... $200.

If there is no reason compelling enough to pay more, why would you?

Oxn

Pretty much.

Pein

Banned

I mean that's true, I don't do anything spectacular with my phone. My 6S+ browses Instagram, Gaf and does spotify just fine, I mean what's gonna be significantly better if I get the new phone?

Fuck it's getting harder to justify a new iPhone.

Ayyyy lmao at these EE prices for the X....

£73 a month and then they still want you to pay £100.

- so glad my 6s is still going on strong right now

Maybe I've finally reached the point where I just don't care anymore. My 6s+ is sitting here and if I replaced it with an 8+ (as I planned to up until this moment), what would the real benefit be? At a glance the phone wouldn't even look any different.

I'd still look at Twitter, iMessage, and GAF on it, and that'd be about it. I can do all that now with no issue. Only now I wouldn't be able to plug in my headphones which is still a real point of contention for me. Maybe phones have just become boring.

If your phone is still in good shape then just keep it imo. As Apple keep increasing the prices you can offset that by buying less frequently.

I'm so torn on what to do. Have a 6 and its on it's last legs. Prob just get the 8. Who has the best trade in deals? My contract is month to month so I can jump ship.

Lnkn52

It does suck I gotta pay nearly a grand for the 8+, I think apple overpriced it. It would be more tolerable if 128gb was available because I still near 15 gigs left on my 64gb so 256 seems like overkill.

I'm gonna go to the store to preorder it but it's gonna suck to see the note 8 with bleeding edge tech next to a phone that looks like my current 2 year old phone.

Apple could have at least put in a oled 1080p screen or gave the fast charger for free.

That is why we reconsider upgrading to the 8+ from a 7 to just getting a 7+ instead.

Stil debating to get the 8. Would be a nice upgrade from my 6.

To me the X is first form Cell and will take 1 or 2 revisions until the perfect form.

Touch ID probably won't ever come back but for $999 give me ProMotion and a better implementation of the notch.

Based on the fact that I can still order one now, at 9:30am, for release date delivery, I think you should be okay if you're wanting an 8.

For the X maybe you'd have trouble.

Thanks! I'll check back during black friday-ish week as I'm also on a budget carrier so will be looking to see if any of the big carriers have any holidays pricing or financing with plans/phones too. The X doesn't appeal to me and at worst case scenario I'd be more then happy with a 7+ as I'm sure it's miles better then my current < $50 phone.

NYR

I got my order in for a SS Series 3 8 minutes after the store opened (my laptop browser kept telling me the store was down from 12:01 to 12:07 for some reason) and the delivery window is Oct 6 - 13.

For folks who have ordered previous versions of the Watch, does this window usually get moved up to release day or am I stuck waiting?
It's very low odds your window moves up. Apple is pretty good with accurate logistics and delivery time, sounds like you are waiting.

You are eligible to upgrade after 6 months. You make up the price difference between your early upgrade and 1 year of payments. So if you get the phone in November you’ll have to make an extra payment or two.

Ah. That's fair. Thanks!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
think I might cancel my 8 and pick up a used/refurb 6s for about £250. Then try and get an X. The 6s will have done most of its depreciation so I could probably sell it on for £200 in a couple of months, but it'll also be good to use if it takes me until 2018 to get an X.

Edit : preorder cancelled

Top Bottom