• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Harry Knowles Allegedly Assaulted Woman and Drafthouse Owners Didn’t take action.

Slayven

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/09/harry-knowles-sexual-assault-alamo-drafthouse-1201878971/amp/

An Austin-area woman said Ain't It Cool News founder Harry Knowles sexually assaulted her at an Alamo Drafthouse event — but the reason she's speaking out now is she believes change is coming.

”Harry Knowles groped me, opportunistically, on more than one occasion," said Jasmine Baker. ”I cannot just stay silent. I am not interested in remaining silent."

In 1999-2000, Baker was familiar with Knowles and his website, as they often attended the same Drafthouse events. Baker was at a Drafthouse event when Knowles rubbed up against her buttocks and legs in a way that made her feel uncomfortable. While she was initially willing to consider it an accident, on a later occasion he rubbed up against her again; she confronted him about his behavior, and made it clear that he did not have her consent to touch her in any manner. ”He just giggled about it," she said. On at least one occasion, she said he also put his hand under her shirt.

IndieWire spoke with two friends of Baker's who confirmed that she had shared stories of the incidents, and that Baker told them of multiple occurrences in which Knowles touched her without consent.

Reached by phone, Knowles responded to the charges: ”I categorically deny it." Knowles said they were friends and ”she treated me like a confidante." He said their friendship ended in 2002, shortly after Knowles and a mutual friend broke up.

j9SxWog.jpg

This came out after the mountain of bullshit that was uncovered with the Faraci scandal of the past few weeks

norm9

I see he went with the always high degree of difficulty denial that calls the other person a liar without calling them a liar to hedge his bets denial.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Well, there is the shoe we were all waiting on.

Drafthouse seems to have a real culture issue of covering shit up while pretending to be a liberal Haven.

Looks like I'm done giving them my money until there is a REAL house cleaning. Sucks, bc the flagship is a 10 minute walk from my house.

killroy87

Well, there is the shoe we were all waiting on.

Drafthouse seems to have a real culture issue of covering shit up while pretending to be a liberal Haven.

Looks like I'm done giving them my money until there is a REAL house cleaning. Su ks, bc the flagship is a 20 minute walk from my house.

Part of me wants to also stop supporting outlets who are attending/covering Fantastic Fest knowing this shit was going on. But then I'd have to stop supporting nearly everyone...

I see he went with the always high degree of difficulty denial that calls the other person a liar without calling them a liar to hedge his bets denial.

Not even, she's a liar but also was a friend and confidant whom he absolutely did not grope, she's a liar but even though he definitely never touched her he wishes her the best even though she's a lying liar,whom he never touched of course, because....

Media

Goddamn it, I'm moving to Austin in a week and was looking forward to finally getting to experience the fabled Drafthouse but now....

If they don't do shit about these guys they ain't getting my money

NYR

Now there’s a name I haven’t heard in years....

*checks ain’t it cool news*

Holy shit. It’s the exact same as it was in 1997.

Moppeh

Banned
I think it was brought up in another thread but if anyone feels like starting a left leaning chain of cinemas, now is your chance.

Absolutely disgusting but I'm not all that surprised.

Never been to Drafthouse (as I've never been to the States) but I was following them and Mondo on social media. Unfollowed when all this shit started coming out (not that it does anything but still).
I've seen her stuff pop up on my feed through retweets and the username always caught my eye. Horrible that this happened.

Media

It mirrors the Fox news thing. The head guy is revealed to be shady, and that starts letting skeletons out the closet

Yep. As it usually happens when it's powerful men doing shady shit to women, once one speaks up others get the courage to do so as well, and it snowballs. Seen it happen time and time again, and yet still there is always the 'they are just jumping on the bandwagon for attention' assholes

Media

The hell is with dudes sending unsolicited DMs to women on twitter? When has that EVER worked let alone seemed like a good idea? What the hell Drafthouse.

My dms are fucking disgusting for the most part and I don't even post much on Twitter. One dude literally spent a month working up to trying to casually ask how I like to have sex by pretending to be interested in my art. I ignored him after that but didn't block, and he at least twice a year sends more dms.

This neutral stance on everybody with an inkling of notoriety is working out perfectly. Tim League out here harboring scumbags and I ain't even surprised or disappointed.

Fat4all

Banned
The concept of seeing Facebook/Instagram as a heterosexual grindr substitute are insane to me.

the only time I've ever sent a DM to a person i never knew personally was to Super Eyepatch Wolf, recommending him some shows

the idea of creeping on people like this online is absolutely bizarre and gross to me

Boem

This guy has always weirded me out.

Is this the right time to link to his Blade 2 "review"?

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/11793

It's his classic move of bragging about his connections (Guillermo Del Toro sees him as his brother apparently, and they spend their days talking about art and sex), and the rest of the review is just one, weird, baffling thing about oral sex.

You're better off not reading it. The guy has issues.

This is just one example of a long list of Knowles acting like a sheltered dick, but it seemed appropriate to the current situation.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
What’s Knowles’ relationship with Drafthouse outside of co-founding and sponsorship of Fantastic Fest and hosting Butt-numbathon? He’s never been involved in any management of Drafthouse, has he?

Steejee

These vienna sausages?

220px-Vienna_sausage.jpg

Tiny and sour, at least he was honest.

Guy always creeped me out, so this does not shock me.

The one person following him until now even after those messages is a bit strange to me, but I suppose she either followed him for business reasons or because 'following' doesn't necessarily mean 'like'.

Top Bottom