• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread |OT2| All Riffs, No Gifs

1pECovr.png

Cryptopsy (QC) - Blasphemy Made Flesh LP (Hammerheart 2016)
Cryptopsy (QC) - None So Vile LP (Hammerheart 2016)

slit your fucking guts.

So good, although I was never a fan of Flo Mounier's drumming. Hail Lord Worm.

Corpsepyre

Banned
The first four Nile albums were incredible. I was a bit iffy on Annihilation at first, but grew to loving it afterwards. My favourite's definitely Black Seeds though.

New Dying Fetus album is fucking amazing. I've listened to it like four times today. Fucking awesome.

Also Annihilation of the Wicked is the best Nile album followed by Black Seeds of Vengeance. Burning Pits of the Duat is fucking amazing. People like to sleep on Ithyphallic but it fucking owns. "NO CREATION WITHOUT DESTRUCTION"

The only bad Nile album is At the Gate of Sethu. It's extremely tedious. But they made up for it with What Should Not Be Unearthed. Great album.

It's gonna be weird to not have Dallas Toler-Wade on the next Nile album but I'm still excited.

"And the Members of the Dead Who Hath been Turned Upside Down
Scatter in Pieces Their Shades
They Shall be Cast Down Headlong into the Pits of Fire
They Shall not Escape nor be able to Flee From the Flames Which Art in the Serpent Set-Heh."

I'm listening to Cast Down the Heretic right now and it's so good I might have to change my pants.

I love absolutely everything about those two albums honestly. The chaos and brutality is amazing. Crazy motherfuckers.

Those two albums make me proud to play bass.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Visigoth's The Revenant King and Crypt Sermon's Out of the Garden make for great back to back listens.

Actually just listen to Mammoth Rider and Heavy Riders back to back. So good.

edit: I'm now listening to Runes of Power by Summoning and I can feel the ancient magic flowing through me.

I love how the guitar on Let Mortal Heroes Sing Your Fame just sounds like another synth. Especially after the guitar heavy Stronghold. Summoning is just too good.

youtube links maaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnn

First round of bands announced, including an Enemy Soil reunion:

Maryland Deathfest XVI
May 24-27, 2018

-(16)-
Abhomine
Bloodbath (Sweden)
Blood Incantation
Broken Hope
Coven
Chthe'ilist (Canada)
Destroyed in Seconds
Dead Infection (Poland)
Durian
Enemy Soil
Evoken
Eyehategod
God Dethroned (Netherlands)
Gutted (Hungary)
Lord Gore
Opera IX (Italy)
Phrenelith (Denmark)
Ritual Necromancy
Sadistic Intent
Sinister (Netherlands)
Sublime Cadaveric Decomposition (France)
Ufomammut (Italy)
Wormrot (Singapore)
Zemial (Greece)

jmdajr

This new Iced Earth Album isn't too bad. But listening to it just makes me wish Matt Barlow was back.

Oh well. Just reliving old good times in my head from care free metal listening days.

Body_Hammer

Neo Member
Saw Black Cilice/Nornahetta/Wode in London on Saturday.

I'm not a huge fan of Wode on record but they put on a good show, even if they didn't really fit with the other two bands I felt. Definitely the most traditional performance of the night.

Nornahetta I'd never heard before but they nailed it, I'm gonna have to check them out further. The two vocalists traded guitar/bass between songs which I've never seen a band do before.

Black Cilice were obviously the big draw, and I didn't really know what to expect. Part of me was fearing that none of the atmosphere of the recordings would come across live and it would just be a boring blur of tremolo riffs and blasts. After a 10 minute technical fuck up with one of the guitars which I think was thanks to the sound guy all my fears went out the window. An excellent show with no "ritual" gimmick bullshit that is so common nowadays, just a minimal stage presence (dim lights, robes, done) that let the music do all the talking. They also played one of my favourite songs of theirs. I doubt I'll ever get the chance to see them again, but I'd do so in a heartbeat.

The aftermath of Black Cilice's set, guitars slammed on floor.
cilice.jpg

I'm excited by the MDF lineup because it at least seems like they're making the effort to have more exclusive type stuff

Granted since they had 25 up front I'll laugh when the rest is just filled out with tour packages

Enemy Soil gonna be LIT (curious if they have a drummer or not, I kind of assume no because of ANB's success)

I love Dead Infection, can't say I care much about the current lineup but it'll be a good time if they stick to 2004 and before

Lord Gore rules.
Yeah, way underrated band. Saw them in 2005 and they were ridiculous.

Enemy Soil gonna be LIT (curious if they have a drummer or not, I kind of assume no because of ANB's success)

I love Dead Infection, can't say I care much about the current lineup but it'll be a good time if they stick to 2004 and before
Adam from Vastum is drumming for Enemy Soil + Mason, Rich, and JR.

If you like Dead Infection, and haven't heard them yet, Sublime Cadaveric Decomposition is one of the best goregrind bands ever. Their first 2 albums are ridiculous.

Adam from Vastum is drumming for Enemy Soil + Mason, Rich, and JR.

If you like Dead Infection, and haven't heard them yet, Sublime Cadaveric Decomposition is one of the best goregrind bands ever. Their first 2 albums are ridiculous.
Ah, excellent news.

And I've heard the name, not sure I've listened but will do so now

Can't say it's terribly similar to Dead Infection, honestly it just sounds like Molesting The Decapitated without slams. I can dig it for sure though. Vocals are so good

Those early Razorback Records days were magical. Tons of amazing bands with awful names.

Also, that time Frightmare confirmed for MDF and then instantly dropped off, with Neil claiming that MDF "only books Razorback bands to make money." Dude is (or was) bit of a weirdo.

honestly it just sounds like Molesting The Decapitated without slams.
:(

Those early Razorback Records days were magical. Tons of amazing bands with awful names.

Also, that time Frightmare confirmed for MDF and then instantly dropped off, with Neil claiming that MDF "only books Razorback bands to make money." Dude is (or was) bit of a weirdo.

:(
It does though! I love MTD so there's also that

Dead Infection's sound is heavily rooted in classic Napalm, can't say I hear any of that in SCD

Also if you want to talk MDF drops every now and then I remember In Disgust was booked for like 2014 or something and subsequently dropped/broke up again :'(

Jig-Ai is on NDF next year, hoping MDF has finally come to their senses and gotten em. Already a lot of gore out the gate

I'm digging the production, especially the guitars which are kind of a throwback to early Monuments and Vildhjarta, which is interesting considering that they seem to be gravitating towards a more traditional prog sound. But there's no doubt about that guitar sound.

Polaris didn't really hit me at first, but now it's my favorite. I even laughed at their claim that they were never about being heavy. Who did they think they were kidding.

Man, going back and listening to the first version of Monuments 'Admit Defeat' is so good, I forgot how fucking heavy this was. The Gnosis album version is ok but nowhere near that. That first Vildhjarta Omnislash demo was disgusting too. There was this moment in time before it blew up that djent was fresh, really visionary stuff. Way more than just Meshuggah worship. I don't know if that style could have ever really went in that direction, but for a time it was over the top amazing. Vildhjarta is probably the only band who kept it going pretty well, their material is probably the most true to those defining early days. 'Dagger' off of Masstaden is up there with the high points of the genre for sure.

Anyways, this track is really fucking good. Hyped for the new album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZyzxL3tF88

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzGM7tqhREs&list=PL6aMTjEAgWcgv8Gbb1aFrhdPnoXy7O4WD

Blackheim

I'm somewhat surprised these guys haven't been brought up in this thread yet, Deathwhite. Their tags on bandcamp describe themselves as such: dark gothic metal, alcest, anathema, katatonia, melodic, my dying bride, paradise lost. They do favor Katatonia (before they kinda went to crap, in my opinion, ~2003 onwards) and Anathema (I'd say, Judgement era) a fair bit. Fine by me, scratches an itch neither of those bands currently provide.

Song: Pressure

It does though! I love MTD so there's also that

Dead Infection's sound is heavily rooted in classic Napalm, can't say I hear any of that in SCD

Also if you want to talk MDF drops every now and then I remember In Disgust was booked for like 2014 or something and subsequently dropped/broke up again :'(

Jig-Ai is on NDF next year, hoping MDF has finally come to their senses and gotten em. Already a lot of gore out the gate
Yeah, you could make an amazing fest with just bands that dropped off MDF, lol. In Disgust was a rough one.

Evan (one of the guys that books the fest) started a goregrind band, so probably why there's more of that stuff so far. There's a few cool things in the works for next year that'll hopefully work out.

Yeah, you could make an amazing fest with just bands that dropped off MDF, lol. In Disgust was a rough one.

Evan (one of the guys that books the fest) started a goregrind band, so probably why there's more of that stuff so far. There's a few cool things in the works for next year that'll hopefully work out.
That's actually much better than I expected. Didn't catch them. Honestly didn't care about majority of the bands this year so I'm hoping this year is a major step up. At least I've only seen like 3 bands from this first announcement

By "cool things in the works" do you mean you have hot insider scoops? Haha.

Either way more gore and more interesting picks for Soundstage is all I want

I still think the first year was the absolute best for Soundstage's lineup, but no one was there for majority of the bands besides headliners. Sucks. 2014 was way more top heavy with Cap Cas and Dropdead. They've kind of been in that territory since. This year had way too much unremarkable PV for me to care.

That's actually much better than I expected. Didn't catch them. Honestly didn't care about majority of the bands this year so I'm hoping this year is a major step up. At least I've only seen like 3 bands from this first announcement

By "cool things in the works" do you mean you have hot insider scoops? Haha.

Either way more gore and more interesting picks for Soundstage is all I want

I still think the first year was the absolute best for Soundstage's lineup, but no one was there for majority of the bands besides headliners. Sucks. 2014 was way more top heavy with Cap Cas and Dropdead. They've kind of been in that territory since. This year had way too much unremarkable PV for me to care.
After being around since 2003, MDF is in a weird place in that they've booked more or less every (realistic) band people could hope for, sometimes multiple times. It's hard finding bands that haven't already played. A lot of what's left is bands that are super obscure and super expensive because they're from Japan or Australia or South America. And even then, they manage to get a lot of awesome stuff I never thought I'd get to see.

That said, I think after all the venue changes and stuff over the years, the current set up is the best they've ever had. With the two venues so close, it also means they can do cooler stuff with Soundstage. Like you said, in the past, it'd be empty at times because the outdoor stage was so far away and people didn't want to walk over for bands they didn't know. In comparison, this year had a bunch of way smaller bands that had pretty good crowds. 2018 will be really good I think.

Yeah I have no complaints with the two venue setup, I just wish they'd crack down way harder on bands to end on time. The 20+ minute delays Ram's Head had on Saturday and Sunday were pretty ridiculous, especially when sets are already overlapping 10/15 minutes

Tankard

Festival this weekend with Carcass and King Diamond was really good.
Last time i saw King in action was in 98 with both Mercyful Fate and King Diamond, and i was just a little kid.
5bLEltw.jpg

Carcass i see a lot over the years, but they also always deliver.

6w3bMr9.jpg

Emotional to watch King Diamond again after so many years.

7EmYXeJ.jpg

DemWalls

I don't keep myself up to date as I used to, so I've just found out about this release. The new singer, Giacomo, is pretty good (if a bit more "generic" than I expected given some previews), but they're really not doing him any favours by making this his first work with the band. I'm afraid some of the more hardcore fans will look down on him no matter what from now on.

Leatherface

Tfw your band exists for more than two decades with multiple releases but you're unable to best your debut:

I was lucky enough to play with Nile in front of a packed house recently. This is my band playing in fact! I can confirm that Nile still absolutely kicks ass live. \m/

XMmFKUI.jpg

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Cattle Decapitation headlining tour with Artificial Brain!!!! Praise Satan!!!
Can't fucking wait
Yup, that's a good tour. Looking forward to seeing AB for the first time and Full of Hell for the umpteenth time.

choodi

Banned
I'm somewhat surprised these guys haven't been brought up in this thread yet, Deathwhite. Their tags on bandcamp describe themselves as such: dark gothic metal, alcest, anathema, katatonia, melodic, my dying bride, paradise lost. They do favor Katatonia (before they kinda went to crap, in my opinion, ~2003 onwards) and Anathema (I'd say, Judgement era) a fair bit. Fine by me, scratches an itch neither of those bands currently provide.

a1246441935_16.jpg

Song: Pressure

Very Katatonia and very, very good.

My only complaint is that the production is a little too 'clean' for the style of music they are playing. Give me some dirty guitars and drop the vocals down a little in the mix.

Ecchymosis (THA) - Esoteric Purulence Adoration

preview of a four-way split to be released by New Standard Elite next month. When it comes to new brutal death metal, I would have to say Ecchymosis is my favorite. Their debut from last year is totally fucked. It's difficult to describe, but these guys are on some shit and I need to watch them live. I listen to them and it's just faceless and bizarrely free form to my ears. If I have a preferred style of brutal death metal, it has to be this.

Top Bottom