• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xboxone Resolutiongate (Eurogamer)

So, Leadbetter is good now? He had all sorts of descriptive terms used against him no more than a day or two ago. I can't keep up with the judgments.

Just last week he was talking about the 'balance' of xbone with Crytek. He's nowhere close to being off the hook, although I generally find this article agreeable.

So what can we take from this? Arthur Gies is either lying to everybody, lying to himself, or has vision problems. If other than the latter, I'm not sure how anybody can take him seriously.

Some people can't tell the difference or are ignorant to it. How many threads to we get on here where someone will say "I can't tell the difference between 30 and 60 frames second", or indeed "1080p and 720p". We get game reviews where nobody complains about slow down anymore, remember that in SNES game reviews? Or crashes? It's never mentioned these days as it's acceptable.. Well we tolerate it more :)

If a writer on CVG is saying there is no difference then they basically lose all credibility. Either no integrity or they have no clue what they're talking about.

iJudged

Banned
Then tell them to stop being pathetic fanboys. Their ignorance shouldn't impact your enjoyment of gaming. If they want to pay more for inferior ports, let them.

I was going to get both eventually . They could care less what's what, they're dad's in their late 30s, family people with jobs who game for fun. Not fanboys.

Swarming101

I find the decision to use ESRAM at all mind-boggling after we saw last generation how much of a pain the Cell architecture was for Sony's PS3. Microsoft had a big advantage last gen in that it generally had better multi platform performance because of the difficulty many developers faced learning how to code for the PS3. It seems they did not recognise this advantage when building the Xbox One, while Sony clearly and vocally did.

Dr. Kaos

Banned
Summary:

PS4 is more powerful than the xbone at launch. It will always be substantially more powerful and Cerny, Yoshida and Sony's engineers are going to go to bed every night in the next 5 years knowing that they pwned Microsoft.

VanWinkle

Arthur Gies was the only person there that claimed that there was little to no difference. Everyone else said that there was a big difference between the two versions. Jack Frags in his impressions video noted that multiple journalists agreed with him about the PS4's multiplayer looking better than the Xbox One's single player. And CV&G posted this in their review comments for BF4

http://www.computerandvideogames.co...a-slick-introduction-to-next-gen-multiplayer/

Speaking of Gies, where are all of those comparison screenshots he said he'd show?

Freki

Gonna take more articles than this to undo the damage, but it's a start. I'll take it.

That's my stance as well - I couldn't make out any glaring mistakes in the article.

We hear different stories about ESRAM from virtually every source we speak to, but two gripes are common. Firstly, the notion of operating between two memory pools for render targets is an additional pain that is not an issue on PlayStation 4's unified 8GB of GDDR5. Secondly - and perhaps most importantly - the most common compliant we hear is that developers really want more than 32MB for their high-bandwidth graphics work.
Both points were made on GAF for months just to be "ridiculed" or belittled by Albert et al...

Piggus

I am getting both, either way I was going to get both. They could care less what's what, they're dad's in their late 30s, family people with jobs who game for fun. Not fanboys.

Buying something because of the name on the box alone is fanboyism regardless of someone's age or marital status. :p

Raist

Banned
Speaking of Gies, where are all of those comparison screenshots he said he'd show?

He's put like a whopping 4 XB1/PS4 screens in his BF4 review. With this hilarious comment:

As part of EA's review event for Battlefield 4, reviewers were given the opportunity to spend extensive time with the next-generation console versions of Battlefield 4, in addition to the PC version of the game. Unlike the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions of Battlefield 4, the Xbox One and PS4 releases have feature parity with the PC release — they have the same maps, the same player counts and the same framerate.

The most discerning graphics pixel counters will find fodder for pointed fingers and debate on next-gen platforms, as neither console is rendering Battlefield 4 at a native 1080p resolution. The Xbox One version of Battlefield 4 is currently rendering at 1280x720, while the PS4 is natively rendering at 1600x900. As a result, the PS4 version is somewhat sharper than the Xbox One release. Other than that, the two games look very similar over the course of Battlefield 4's single-player campaign, with the same lighting and framerate throughout (see gallery below for unmarked screenshots from both systems — see if you can tell which is which).

http://www.polygon.com/2013/10/29/5040656/battlefield-4-review

Pain

Banned
Being a ticker architecture, the X1 may have more room to grow as its launch titles will use the system less effectively. BF4 has more pixels, better effects and higher framerate on the PS4, but perhaps BF5 will "only" have a framerate and resolution advantage.

My current prediction is that the X1 will sell well to start with but have a sharp drop off next year. But if MS can get the price down enough it might become competitive.

A kinect-less x1 at $299,95 would be tempting.
Of course it will. Even the Wii U sold really well at launch.

demolitio

Maybe this will mean people won't scoff at GPU differences in the future outside of the obvious clock rates, etc. and realize there's much more to them than that.

The fact that some journalists still don't know why the differences exist for multiple reasons is sad enough as it is and it will never go away this generation short of the developers not bothering pushing the PS4.

1) The. Hardware. Is. Not. Equal. Period. 50% more CUs and over double the RAM bandwidth means that no matter how much the XDK improves, the PS4 will be more powerful.

2) Honestly only sort of true. If (1) is true (it is), and the hardware is similar (it is), then the gulf in performance is a known quantity. So it's not that the gap will widen because developers will get more power from PS4 than they do now, it's that they aren't getting as much from it now as they will eventually be able to. Yes it's a semantic argument, but it is important. We know the difference in hardware. But while the developers are still experiencing learning curves that difference isn't going to be fully realized.

Yet another narrative change, and 1080p on the XBone is just a matter of time. Only it's not, as 32mb is never enough for a 1080p framebuffer unless you use an older style, forward renderer. It doesn't fit, without copying data back and forth to the DDR3, at which point performance plummets. That's never going to change. It always comes back to the ESRAM and DDR3, irrespective of the rest of the GPU disadvantages, the memory architecture is the biggest issue for 1080.

I appreciate Forza is 1080p, but that will be the exception, as it [looks to me] to be a rather basic rendering engine, custom written, obviously. When you start looking at multiplatform titles, you're really stuck. If you write a custom renderer purely for the XBone, you lose out on the multiple effects and post-processing we've come to expect [and which will just become more complicated and impressive as we move forwards]. There's a reason Deferred is so popular, it's a great way to handle lights. You'd be trading in lights / post processing / whatever to get resolution.

Possible we'll see lots of compromises and "approximations" of effects on PS4/PC, and obviously things will improve a little. I think 900p is about the limit on a deferred renderer.

Why people are so surprised there's an immediate gulf in the visuals I don't know. It was there in black and white from the start. It's just going to get larger as time goes on....

Well at the very least he's admitting he was off base with his earlier predictions of hardware being similar in graphical output.

Why most of Gaf was aware and adamant of tangible differences in power before him is beyond me, maybe he was just thinking positively.

viveks86

The conclusion says it all:

However, in directly addressing the specs differential, whether in the Xbox One architects interview or in online forum posts, it has seemingly set itself up for another own goal. Microsoft itself has made the story about parity with the competition, when highlighting what makes Xbox One unique in terms of exclusive games, services and functionality - along with more effort in returning some of the magic to Kinect - may have served Xbox One more effectively in the run-up to launch.

Sounds like he is blaming Microsoft for trying to pull the wool over everyone's eyes. Is this his way of saying "It's not my fault for writing these articles. MS wanted them written and I played ball. I've had enough!"?

Pain

Banned
For multi-console owners:
PS4 = 3rd Party Machine + 1st Party exclusives
Xbone = Exclusives machine(Ex: Titanfall/Halo)

Both consoles are worth owning. PS4 is just technically superior. Whether you can see it or not, that is a fact.

antitrop

At the end of the day, as long as the games are fun to play, right?

Well, yeah, but you worry about that after you decide which console to buy.

"Better graphics" for $100 less is quite a notable point, and is not insignificant to the consumer at all.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
So what can we take from this? Arthur Gies is either lying to everybody, lying to himself, or has vision problems. If other than the latter, I'm not sure how anybody can take him seriously.

I think it's all of the above.

nib95

Banned
Eurogamer bringing in some journalistic integrity. Edge, Polygon, IGN etc, take note.

I'm convinced their "secret" sauce is the scaler. They thought their scaler would be good enough that people wouldn't be able to tell that the games weren't running native 1080p.

Obviously not the case.

Don't the PS4 and Xbox One use the same scaler? Via the GPU?

For multi-console owners:
PS4 = 3rd Party Machine + 1st Party exclusives
Xbone = Exclusives machine(Ex: Titanfall/Halo)

Both consoles are worth owning. PS4 is just technically superior. Whether you can see it or not, that is a fact.

You'd have to REALLY love Halo at this point.

the X1 may have more room to grow as its launch titles will use the system less effectively.

If Mark Cerny is to be believed—and there is no reason he should not—PS4 was designed to allow developers to unlock more power with each passing year, as they slowly begin taking advantage of unique customizations (e.g. asynchronous compute, hUMA).

Development tools are always being improved and, if anything, PS4 has more space to grow than Xbox One.

"It is a powerful and accessible system and it has a deep feature-set to support the ongoing development and evolution of gaming itself." — Mark Cerny

Chumpion

I knew it. Satan... I mean Richard - is a decent bloke after all! Bless his heart! Three cheers for Richard! Leadbetter for Nobel!

Demon Ice

Banned
Eurogamer bringing in some journalistic integrity. Edge, Polygon, IGN etc, take note.

Don't the PS4 and Xbox One use the same scaler? Via the GPU?

Yeah.

MS just thought it would be good enough to compensate for being unable to run native 1080p.

This is just a guess on my part but I can't think of anything else that would qualify as "secret sauce."

Crisco

Banned
I'm seriously sick of people equating a higher resolution to increased sharpness. It's two completely different things. One is an actual increase in the raw visual data on the screen. The other is a technique to artificially accentuate detail. They are not the same, and they don't look the same.

rjinaz

Some people can't tell the difference or are ignorant to it. How many threads to we get on here where someone will say "I can't tell the difference between 30 and 60 frames second", or indeed "1080p and 720p". We get game reviews where nobody complains about slow down anymore, remember that in SNES game reviews? Or crashes? It's never mentioned these days as it's acceptable.. Well we tolerate it more :)

If a writer on CVG is saying there is no difference then they basically lose all credibility. Either no integrity or they have no clue what they're talking about.

Well yeah that's just it. I get it when people say they can't tell the difference. But they are not professional gaming journalists. They may not have the right set up for example and may not see a lot of high end video gaming. But I'm sorry, no. I just do not believe that Gies of all people cannot tell the difference.

Jack_AG

Banned
There seem to be two mindsets here:

1) That the devkits were given later to Xbox One and that the gap will achieve parity soon enough as developers get used to Xbox One.

2) That the gap will continue to widen given that these launch games aren't exercising the potential of next gen hardware, and that if this is the state it is in now, it will only get worse given that developers will get more out of the PS4's potential.

I don't know which to believe.
Easy. As soon as MS gives devs access to dGPU with better tools + cloud - PS4 is toast. 4k patches WILL happen on Xbox One. Its MS's plan all along. Why else the media NDAs until launch? They are planning a big surprise.

DieH@rd

Banned
Good article.

Its a shame that DF did not mention differences between two consoles in term of ROPs. 32 vs 16 ROPs is not a small thing, and it will most surely limit number of pixel operations Xbone can preform in 1080p resolution.

Top Bottom