• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 7 demo is now live for Xbox One and W10

Megasoum

Banned
Oh well.... Very disappointed by the demo.

The Porsche is almost impossible to drive, ridiculous amount of understeer.

The truck is fun and the GTR was all right.

Graphics are not bad but the controls feels sluggish.

Haven'T tried it with my wheel yet but my friend who also has a TX was super bummed out by the wheel support/FFB so meh.

Add that to the fact that every Forza Motorsports games since 4 had terrible structure and menu flow.... Bleh

Gestault

Can someone tell me if this game uses a vignette type effect in the corners of the screen? I just rewound a spot and moved the camera, and in the sky I see noticeable dark diagonal edges, like the screen is darker in the corners. Before I launch this 900e out the window I'd love to know.

Yeah, it's definitely used in gameplay, so it's unlikely there's anything off with your setup. The effect is scaled up to about where it was in the Forza Nascar expansion (the vignette there had the odd tendency to build up when you used rewind at certain speeds).

dr_rus

This is just on the menu screen
KO4c.jpg

Frame time fluctuates from 65-33ms and jumps up to 100ms when initiating the menu screen.

The track menu where the driver is stood next to the car slightly swaying from side to side is literally a slide show.
Menu screen in FM7 demo is weird, it has higher overall CPU utilization than the actual race for me.

Yes. High Performance is always on and have tried running default dynamic and medium low settings at 720p.
Well, you could try lowering CPU intensive settings. I had some pretty rough stuttering but it was completely solved by turning off Intel's Turbo Boost 3.0 Max (as it often does in case of games which like to load only one thread to 100%). You don't have that on your i7 930 so the only option for you is to try and lower the load on this main CPU thread somehow. Contrary to what your intuition may tell you, you may actually want to increase your graphical settings all the way up to running in 4K with MSAA 8x - this way you will be GPU limited and this in turn will lessen the CPU load.

This is how 2560x1440 with MSAA 8x CPU load on Dubai track looks like for me:

UO4c.png

It's pretty obviously limited if not by one core performance per se then by the scheduling of game's jobs on other cores. So if something is preventing this from happening (like TB3M in my case) then the game will stutter.

How do you get the frametime graphs to show in riva tuner? Do you have a link to this beta version? Mine is beta 19.

Beta 19 is pretty old. Graphs in overlay are a new feature of RTSS 7.0.

You can get the latest RTSS beta here: https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/rtss-6-7-0-beta-1.412822/page-33#post-5461772
You will also need the latest Afterburner beta for the new RTSS to work properly: https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/rtss-6-7-0-beta-1.412822/page-32#post-5459908

Alternatively you can wait for a couple more weeks for a final release of AB 4.4.0 which will include the final version of RTSS 7.0.

Chumpion

IMO it handles great with a controller and sim steering, very much like FM6 but a bit more well-rounded. I like that counter-steering in the middle of a corner no longer fucks you up.

I adjusted all the deadzones first, of course (e.g., 5 to 95 for steering, 3 to 95 for gas/brakes).

Okay this might mark the end of the 3570k :( Even at 4.4ghz and only 1080p I can't seem to hold a stable 60fps on Ultra settings with my GTX 1070. I only tried the GTR setting and I had hitching all over the place and some drops to 40fps.

Hawk269

I am pretty damn impressed with the Xbox One version. Yeah there are some simple shadows here and there, but overall, the lighting, performance etc. is just spot on. Great looking game and am more impressed than I thought I would be being that we did not get a lot of coverage of the Xbox One version. AA is still not great, but seems improved over Forza 6. It is definitely the best looking Forza mainline so far. God I wish Maple Valley was in the demo.

Space_nut

On vanilla XB1, this is still a significant visual improvement compared to what I expected based on Forza 6. I'm very impressed. The handling seems more quirky than it's been in previous games, and I realized partway through the races how the sounds from the car seem to give you more feedback than they had previously.

This is rad.

:) this game is so goooood

BlackAna

Neo Member
Okay this might mark the end of the 3570k :( Even at 4.4ghz and only 1080p I can't seem to hold a stable 60fps on Ultra settings with my GTX 1070. I only tried the GTR setting and I had hitching all over the place and some drops to 40fps.

Is your performance target at 60fps (v-sync)?

My fps was more stable at 1440p and 4k than 1080p so maybe try that. You won't get 60fps in the menus but you should in-game with a 1070.

Rizific

wow man, im seriously in awe of this game. the sound design is incredible. the induction noise in the porsche, the crackles during downshifting, its incredible. dunno why people are bitching about the porsche, didnt have a problem driving it. that thing is a monster. this isnt horizon anymore boys, you actually have to know how to drive.

Hawk269

Even when off it seems more shaky than FM6.

I have to try this. I am on meds for Kidney stones and playing the demo as is without changing that option was messing with my head. Even if it is a bit more shaky than F6, it would be better for me right now.

Is your performance target at 60fps (v-sync)?

My fps was more stable at 1440p and 4k than 1080p so maybe try that. You won't get 60fps in the menus but you should in-game with a 1070.

I tried both 60fps (V-Sync) and dynamic but thanks for the suggestion I'll try that. Actually you also reminded me that my desktop runs at 74hz, that might mess with things too even though FH3 handles it fine.

Kambing

ryzen 1700 @3.85 and gtx 1080ti -- 4k60, max, 2 x msaa

Getting a locked 60fps. First PC game i got working in HDR. And fuck me sideways, this game definitely has the most dramatic difference between HDR on/off. In Forza 7 HDR quite literally changes the way the game looks. There is a dramatic difference in color palette. You get the sense of the blinding sun in Dubai. The lightning in Nurburgring literally shock you as they happen.

This game is bought...

As someone that has loved forza from the initial game and played every single one. I can't drive the Porsche to save my life. It feels like they got the physics mixed up with the racing truck. It doesn't feel nimble at all.

Overall love the game but menus stutter when loading and sometimes the game freezes and catches back up. Not sure what's up. It is on an ssd. Will have to mess around with it tomorrow.

I set pretty much everything to dynamic.

Running a MSI gaming laptop, last year's GR63VR Stealth Pro. i7-6700HQ, GTX 1060 6GB, and 16GB RAM.

Seems to run absolutely fine the majority of the time, but I get these 1-second hitches where the screen freezes then resumes a few seconds later, like it missed a few frames. Makes me think it's probably my processor bottlenecking/throttling at times. It's caused me to fuck up turns real bad a few times.

I tried setting some more demanding things to static values that are on the lower spectrum (medium-ish) and it seemed to make the stutters a lot shorter, but they still exist.

The pretty harsh screen shake makes me a bit woozy though. Weird I could never tell it was there in preview videos, but it seems just a tad too harsh.

Still, runs pretty well all things considered. I love the Porsche aesthetically but I hate driving it, the GT-R in the third race was much, much easier for me to handle (it's a race car though, so I suppose that's to be expected). Didn't try the middle race.

That said, I still think I'll save the majority of my playtime for the Xbox One X version. I bet this game runs super well on a desktop, but it seems maybe my laptop is to blame for the hitches? I haven't looked at other impressions yet, so I guess I don't know if that's a consistent problem.

Anyone got HDR working on PC? I don't see the option in game

ryzen 1700 @3.85 and gtx 1080ti -- 4k60, max, 2 x msaa

Getting a locked 60fps. First PC game i got working in HDR. And fuck me sideways, this game definitely has the most dramatic difference between HDR on/off. In Forza 7 HDR quite literally changes the way the game looks. There is a dramatic difference in color palette. You get the sense of the blinding sun in Dubai. The lightning in Nurburgring literally shock you as they happen.

This game is bought...

Where's the option to enable HDR?

Well, you could try lowering CPU intensive settings. I had some pretty rough stuttering but it was completely solved by turning off Intel's Turbo Boost 3.0 Max (as it often does in case of games which like to load only one thread to 100%). You don't have that on your i7 930 so the only option for you is to try and lower the load on this main CPU thread somehow. Contrary to what your intuition may tell you, you may actually want to increase your graphical settings all the way up to running in 4K with MSAA 8x - this way you will be GPU limited and this in turn will lessen the CPU load.

This is how 2560x1440 with MSAA 8x CPU load on Dubai track looks like for me:

UO4c.png

It's pretty obviously limited if not by one core performance per se then by the scheduling of game's jobs on other cores. So if something is preventing this from happening (like TB3M in my case) then the game will stutter.

I went with 2160p first off with MSAAX8, have tried all kinds of settings.
fP4c.jpg

Game fluctuates rapidly. Here all the cars have gone and it's still going from 33ms up to 100ms. This is with the CPU affinity set as well. Without it my CPU looks like yours maxed out on one core. Either way though the stutter is the same.

What I have noticed is when the game launches in window mode is seems smooth and good frametime and such (I know desktop will shift to 60hz), soon as I go full screen all hell breaks loose. The menus and the game are spiking like crazy.

It's not a good sign with your CPU that one core is still maxed out after all the shit with FH3 over 30fps. Even people with the latest CPUs at the time and DDR4 clocked to 3000mhz had sutters over 30fps. That one core pegged to max is the same we had in FH3.

Momentary

Banned
Anyway to turn off VSync completely? The game is locked to 72 FPS for me on my 144hz monitor. I wonder why it's doing that.

Clockwork

Anyone got HDR working on PC? I don't see the option in game

Where's the option to enable HDR?

I am on the fall update (insider program) with the latest nvidia drivers installed (exclusive to that update, not on nvidia.com yet). I enable HDR mode in Windows 10 then I start the game. Then the 3rd video option tab instead of just having a test image and telling you to adjust your display's brightness has the hdr option and two calibration sliders.

Technically your CPU should be overkill. I'm getting the same drops to 40 fps if I aim for 60fps with hitching all over the place.

Playing Forza 7 is like driving around the city part in FH3. Looking like folks who have the latest intel with ram at 3200mhz will mitigate most of the issues like in FH3.

I am on the fall update (insider program) with the latest nvidia drivers installed (exclusive to that update, not on nvidia.com yet). I enable HDR mode in Windows 10 then I start the game. Then the 3rd video option tab instead of just having a test image and telling you to adjust your display's brightness has the hdr option and two calibration sliders.

Ugh.

Is that really how they plan to handle hdr moving forward? You have to toggle on the desktop and then toggle in game also? That's a bad system.

Clockwork

Ugh.

Is that really how they plan to handle hdr moving forward? You have to toggle on the desktop and then toggle in game also? That's a bad system.

I don't keep it on all the time because currently the desktop looks like garbage with it on. If they fix that I will keep it on.

Normally I have it set so that the nvidia drivers assign settings (32 bit, 8bit, RGB, Full) but if I do that it doesn't allow for HDR in this and Battlefield 1.

I don't keep it on all the time because currently the desktop looks like garbage with it on. If they fix that I will keep it on.

Normally I have it set so that the nvidia drivers assign settings (32 bit, 8bit, RGB, Full) but if I do that it doesn't allow for HDR in this and Battlefield 1.

Exactly.

That's why I'm still on 378.92. It's the last set of drivers where HDR worked "properly". Your desktop is 8 bit RGB and then when you toggled HDR in a game it just dropped down to 422 or w/e for 10 bit.

HDR continues to be a mess on PC.

This reminds me of the early days for Forza Horizon 3 on the PC for me. It's running like garbage with these constant stutters on the Porche track especially. It will run really smooth then this major frame pacing stutter. I have it set to 60fps with v-sync. Guess I'll keep trying to mess around with the settings.

Playing at 1080p with Ryzen 1700 with a RX480. Tried setting the resolution to dynamic and then down to 60%. Many settings set to medium as well.

this download is maxing out my line, god this is glorious to witness.

can't wait to boot this up [looks like i won't have to wait long], reports looking promising for my 1440p w/ 980ti on G-SYNC display.

Clockwork

To be honest I am actually underwhelmed by this game. Even at the settings noted in my previous post with HDR I'm not really wowed or anything.

ghibli99

1440p 60fps at Ultra (4790K, 980 Ti FTW, G-Sync) here. Runs like butter as far as I can tell. Will definitely be playing it on PC in two weeks. Hopefully with an uncapped framerate option!

To be honest I am actually underwhelmed by this game. Even at the settings noted in my previous post with HDR I'm not really wowed or anything.

Hmmm, that's unfortunate. Around E3, gamersyde posted some HDR clips and there was one where right at the end of a race, you came around a turn as the storm was clearing and the sun started poking through the clouds. It looked incredible.

I don't understand the logic of either NV or MS with how they're handling HDR on PC. Why it's a toggle in the desktop is beyond me. It should just trigger when needed, like it already does on HDR consoles.

low-G

Really good demo. I preordered via MS store ages ago, so it's good that the game is shaping up hah. Feels good. Looks fantastic. Runs real well on my PC (i5-6600k at 4.3, 3GHz RAM, 1070), but I was one of those rare few that didn't even have problems with FH3 at launch.

I like the 2 zoom levels for dashboard view.

Good god what were they thinking with the wheel support.

My G27 starts doing a death rattle as soon as I lose grip, I have no idea how much counter steer I should give to stabilise the car.

I think they confused "Force feedback" with "rattling and shaking".

Absolute garbage, and this is coming from someone who owns every single forza except for motorsports 5. This is literally unplayable on a G27.

Glad I went with PCars 2.

HooYaH

is the creator win update safe to install now? remember reading bad things months ago

Yea, they finally fixed the Monitor fullscreen profile just after 6 or so months. Though, who knows what's going to pop up in the next Creator Update next month.

Took me two PC restarts but I managed to get in without crashing lol

Stopped crashing for me as well, let the intro run for about 30 seconds before pressing enter and it was fine.

Definitely glad I bought a gaming PC. Forza looking better than ever.

Effect

Download is taking forever and it looks like it's using all my speed as well. No way in hell I'm going to be bother with the full thing if it's like this for 20+gb. I've been at this for several hours now too.

Gek54

Good god what were they thinking with the wheel support.

My G27 starts doing a death rattle as soon as I lose grip, I have no idea how much counter steer I should give to stabilise the car.

I think they confused "Force feedback" with "rattling and shaking".

Absolute garbage, and this is coming from someone who owns every single forza except for motorsports 5. This is literally unplayable on a G27.

Glad I went with PCars 2.

Did you play with the FF effects at all?

I'm using a TX Wheel and found the default settings way too heavy.

I'm still playing with the sliders but so far these settings feel much better.

O454ADu.jpg

Looks incredible on xbone. Huge improvements in lighting, camera work, image quality and overall track detail over Forza 6.

Kudos to Turn 10

Did you play with the FF effects at all?

I'm using a TX Wheel and found the default settings way too heavy.

I'm still playing with the sliders but so far these settings feel much better.

O454ADu.jpg

I did and managed to remove the death rattle, but it's still plagued by the same issue apex had, once you lose grip there is no recovering.

DarkestHour

Banned
For those with crashing at launch screen and after it, if you can make it to the graphics options make sure to set performance Target to 60 FPS. This should resolve your issue.

Gestault

Regular XB1 version looking very nice.

This may be my imagination, but I'm pretty sure at the first kink on the Hafeet Pass, I can feel momentary framerate irregularity. Otherwise, this is perfect.

Ran great on my pc, but the loading/non racing parts were very choppy. Gameplay wise ran perfect on my pc. Didn't try it on my xbox, but I assume the same.

Top Bottom