• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spencer on Fortnites XBO/PS4 Crossplay "I would have liked to see them leave it on"

Synth

That's the main point though... firstly regardless of the tweet asking him the question all platforms are involved in this PC/XB1/PS4. Two of these platforms can crossplay, and two cannot...

We have the main figurehead of a company pointing out he wants crossplay for a game that they already had crossplay removed from for whatever reason weeks ago. And based on tweets and messages from Darren Suggs one of the main devs of Fortnite this was entirely in MS court. So there in lies the problem... you have MS main figure and talking head saying X but you have MS who has done nothing but Y for this specific title. As people have pointed out it's complete hyperbole. He's saying one thing but MS has done the complete opposite for Fortnite.

Right, so here's the thing... in order for this direction of conversation to make sense, you'd basically need to assume that Spencer doesn't actually want Fortnite to be crossplay with PS4 and/or PC. Based on their own offerings, those of other studios with crossplay, and his statements... does this actually sound like a reasonable assumption to you?

If crossplay is removed from XB1's Fortnite due to a policy issue, then yes, the ball likely is in MS' court... however we have no idea what that ball even looks like, and it's very likely not directly associated to crossplay itself, but something Epic requires to facilitate it. For a reverse example, Sony doesn't get the Better Together update for Minecraft, not because they don't allow updates, but because they don't allow something that is a stipulation for the update (crossplay with Xbox). For a potentially fictional example, let's assume Epic wishes to push Fortnite updates in a manner that MS doesn't allow on XB1 (but Sony does on PS4)... this could result in crossplay being pulled from the XB1 version, as Epic doesn't want each time a player sends an invite to an XB1 player, it'd only work if they are on the same version of the game, which they now no longer have complete control over.

The point is, that we don't know what the policy that prevents XB1+PC crossplay on Fortnite is... but its quite clearly not "no XB1+PC crossplay", so using it as a point of dismissal in a conversation that deals exclusively with crossplay is disingenuous. And this is precisely why vague "remove due to policy" notes are not usually added... because without further details, people come up with all sorts of bullshit of their own, such as the popular "they require an XBL login on all platforms" type stuff.

Honestly searching through all the epic game forums and his twitter I'm not coming across it. The initial reports on the epic forums was the issue with Xbox-PC crossplay had to do with the fact that MS requires Xbox-PC crossplay to be a part of The Play Anywhere policy and this game having crossbuy with PS4 and PC makes that impossible. But I'm honestly not finding the quote itself just finding lots of posts alluding to that. But it may have been said during a Dev video or their 5 year plan video. I'm at work currently so cannot watch videos but I'll attempt to find his own words when I get home instead of posts alluding to his words.

The bolded would make zero sense. Else Rocket League, Gwent and other crossplay games couldn't be.

Head.spawn

Because all you're doing is assuming what one companies decision is, is the same plan and or direction every company is taking. What Capcom chooses and decides to do has pretty much zero effect on what Epic chooses to do.

In the instance of Fortnite I could easily say that going off past experience of them having crossplay removed from Fortnite for PC-XB1 I could easily say that regardless of what they say their stance is on Crossplay that for every title from now on that could possibly support it I could just assume that after a few weeks of having crossplay working MS will just up and have it removed as per policy issue? Because that's what happen with Fortnite so surely that will be MS route for every game? See how that doesn't really work well? Even though it's just another developer right?

It's deductive logic based on what they said in the past in regards to FF XIV:

1) about their stance on keeping the community TOGETHER
2) the fact that they don't want to make seperate servers specifically for Xbox users
3) fact that Sony currently isn't supporting PS4 to Xbox crossplay....

If those three points lead you to believe they'll do an Xbox port as soon as their certification needs are met; I don't know what to tell ya. Maybe you have insider sources that are going to tell us the FF XIV port is on the way?

I wasn't referring to Fortnite at all here, I was only talking about FF XIV in my reply to that person. No idea how you keep trying to push the argument there... literally a completely random strawman, I have no idea how my reply about FF XIV relates to Epic or Fortnite and it's pretty clear that I didn't imply there was a correlation.
It's funny though, instead of actually addressing what I'm typing your first choice was to go look up my post history... oh shit, nothing there when you find out I game on PS4 Pro, Switch, PC and Xbox, then you go for "Junior Member", like I give a damn, there's probably a good reason for it btw, but it's not what you think (ask a mod). Then when all else fails, push another argument that I wasn't making with you?

Gator86

I just can't tell anymore.

The good guy Phil stuff is impossible to separate into fanatical fanboyism and sarcasm.

Also, the quote should probably be "I, as an exec of the console with the significantly weaker market presence, would love to undermine one of my competitor's biggest advantages."

Sony sucks for refusing this but MS 100% would in their position too. It's probably never gonna happen.

Do you have links to those? I've only heard about the patch notes

Saw these for his replies on twitter. Guess if you line them up with the patch notes that had been removed...

Thread: https://twitter.com/onealja/status/894632139370577920

@FortniteGame why was cross play removed for xbox one and PC. I'm upset because now I can't play with my friends.

Darren Sugg‏ @DarrenSugg Aug 7
Replying to @onealja @FortniteGame
The reason is in our patch notes. I haven't given up though. (That may not mean anything though...)

Thread: https://twitter.com/Guenhwyvarrrr/status/894656767002525696

@FortniteGame Still no response on the removal of #crossplay ?

Darren Sugg‏ @DarrenSugg
Replying to @Guenhwyvarrrr @FortniteGame
Check our patch notes for more details on that.

It's deductive logic based on what they said in the past in regards to FF XIV:

1) about their stance on keeping the community TOGETHER
2) the fact that they don't want to make seperate servers specifically for Xbox users
3) fact that Sony currently isn't supporting PS4 to Xbox crossplay....

If those three points lead you to believe they'll do an Xbox port as soon as their certification needs are met; I don't know what to tell ya. Maybe you have insider sources that are going to tell us the FF XIV port is on the way?

I wasn't referring to Fortnite at all here, I was only talking about FF XIV in my reply to that person. No idea how you keep trying to push the argument there... literally a completely random strawman, I have no idea how my reply about FF XIV relates to Epic or Fortnite and it's pretty clear that I didn't imply there was a correlation.
It's funny though, instead of actually addressing what I'm typing your first choice was to go look up my post history... oh shit, nothing there when you find out I game on PS4 Pro, Switch, PC and Xbox, then you go for "Junior Member", like I give a damn, there's probably a good reason for it btw, but it's not what you think (ask a mod). Then when all else fails, push another argument that I wasn't making with you?

You're in a thread that completely pertains to Fortnite.... how is that a strawman when it's literally the point of the thread? I mean you came into a thread about Fortnite/MS/Crossplay and you mention FFXIV but you don't actually have anything to say on the actual thread besides your assumptions based on old reports of FFXIV but being in a thread about Fortnite and crossplay why wouldn't it actually be about the thread topic...

That's why I bring up Fortnite it's literally what this thread is about. I don't know what has you so hung up on FFXIV but excuse me for figuring when your first chimed in that it would be something to do with what the actual thread was about which is why all my replies mention Fortnite and MS to the only way that the thread actual entails....

Darknight

Saw these for his replies on twitter. Guess if you line them up with the patch notes that had been removed...

@FortniteGame why was cross play removed for xbox one and PC. I'm upset because now I can't play with my friends.

The reason is in our patch notes. I haven't given up though. (That may not mean anything though...)

Darren Sugg‏ @DarrenSugg

Why cant that dude or EPIC say "Due to policy, MS and PS players cannot play together"?

Even better, I'm hoping MS/Sony will say one day "We are happy to announce FREE MULTIPLAYER IS BACK...no more pay to play!" How about we push these asshole companies to do that? We all want it, sure they make so much money now but I am not a stock holder so fuck that. Why isnt the gaming community pushing for that? Its sorta like affordable heath care. It should be included in the box, not an extra fee.

CookTrain

Darren Sugg‏ @DarrenSugg

Hmm, so that's referencing the patch notes they rescinded. All very strange.

Head.spawn

You're in a thread that completely pertains to Fortnite.... how is that a strawman when it's literally the point of the thread?

Because it was a reply to someone talking about the situation with FF XIV and my post was only about FF XIV.

It's a strawman because your replies don't pertain specifically to me and your arguments literally has nothing to do with the post I replied to or the content of my actual post. Notice how I still haven't made a rebuttal to you about Epic? Because I wasn't talking about that in that post

My bad for thinking you had actually read my posts though. No idea why you think that was my first post in the thread either, I guess that just means you didn't read the thread either, lol

Take care.

Ploid 3.0

Even better, I'm hoping MS/Sony will say one day "We are happy to announce FREE MULTIPLAYER IS BACK...no more pay to play!" How about we push these asshole companies to do that? We all want it, sure they make so much money now but I am not a stock holder so fuck that. Why isnt the gaming community pushing for that? Its sorta like affordable heath care. It should be included in the box, not an extra fee.

You have my sword. I'm stuck to PC on multiplayer. I refuse to buy PS+, I'm not going to be a part of the problem. (serious, but they're never going back. Rest in peace free Playstation MP).

No, to me it seems both parties do not have an agreement on this and will not do shit about it. Phil Spencer can say what he wants but will he show us proof that they, MS, want all games to be "Cross-platform" including PC or is he playing along? Is Sony's PR being genuine with the "safe guarding" of their base or just BS? To me it just sounds like non of them want to come together and work towards this. Blame it on Sony all you want but its clear both of them do not support this. They could make a big E3 announcement (think the "used games" thing Sony pulled) but it has to be clear that the $60 you pay enables it not "oh Phil said it, so its true".

Journalist should investigate why both parties aren't coming together. Why doesn't someone make a panel with the Sony and MS guys in stage and ask them the tough questions? "When can we play 'cross-platform'?", "Aren't we paying to play on the console?, why can't I chose who to play with"? etc etc.

Going after one group is not helping as the other party just idles in the background glad they aren't being asked anything. Makes them look like the "good guys" so why mess that up i suppose.

Microsoft have been asked and they said they are okay with it. They are implementing it in Minecraft and which allows ios, android and switch to play together. They have also given the okay to Rocket league where they will have cross console play with Switch owners as well as PC. While PS4 can only play with PC players. Reality is Microsoft is not only "playing the good guy" as the narrative goes they are actually letting developers do it.

Rocket League on the Nintendo Switch will offer cross-platform play between the Switch, PC and Xbox One. This builds upon the existing cross-platform play feature that allows PC and Xbox One and (separately) PC and PS4 players to play with one another. But Rocket League developer Pysonix has now confirmed that the Switch version does not offer cross-platform play with the PS4, although the company did not provide a reason as to why that is the case.

Microsoft is *the* giant, greedy, corporation and everyone knows it. In this case they want to do something that many of us as customers want, so we're endorsing it.

Snark might make you feel better, in which case, good for you, but imagine if you put that energy into positive change like helping to get cross play going instead.

I honestly don't care about cross-platform play unless the game needs it (MMO's).

It really should be up to the devs to force Sony and MS to cooperate.

CookTrain

I honestly don't care about cross-platform play unless the game needs it (MMO's).

It really should be up to the devs to force Sony and MS to cooperate.

No game needs it. This is gaming. Necessity is nil for just about every feature. This is about gamers and developers wanting it.

It's on everyone to show their demand for it if they want it. That's what we're doing.

CookTrain

I wonder if there are consumers that don't want crossplay or do you speak for them all?

Oh I know there are certainly people that don't want crossplay. They show up in these threads quite often. I'm not sure I've heard a single good reason why, but I know they exist.

Obviously in context, I'm talking about the pro-crossplay people.

Stop defending them CookTrain, if their agenda wasn't shitty they would have first party games on Steam like Sony does.

Fair point, fair point :p

Head.spawn

I wonder if there are consumers that don't want crossplay or do you speak for them all?

Crossplay can be an opt-in feature. They could throw in with parental settings or somewhere for a default system level option or on a game-per basis devs could always give you the option.

Osukaa

I recognize how a consumer would want this feature but from a business point of view, I understand why they're not allowing it to be implemented.

Why would you allow your direct competitor to share your user base when you're the market leader? If Microsoft was #1, they would block it too.

You make alot of sense and its what I've always said but shhhh alot of people can't take the truth.

Ploid 3.0

Crossplay can be an opt-in feature. They could throw in with parental settings or somewhere for a default system level option or on a game-per basis devs could always give you the option.

I wonder if this would split the player base a lot actually. Players playing competitively wanting to play with equal hardware (controller vs mouse/kb), and equal hardware performance (30fps vs 144+fps), don't want to deal with lack of voice chat for "strategy", etc.

I wanted a PS2 only server for FFXI because the PC players had awesome add-ons, and I wanted a way to avoid currency farmers (group of people that farm and sell in game currency 24-7, using whatever apps and tools to get an advantage. It was hard to compete with their army of drones). Microsoft seem to require a xbox only option, but Sony doesn't.

Developers have been going on record discussing MS's policy in regards to crossplay for over a decade now. And now in a situation which doesn't really add up to what they've said to the public in regards to crossplay and now even specifically addressing this game directly...? It really doesn't add up.

Out of all the companies out there now, Epic games would be the very last on the list of them that I think would have a problem publicly talking about MS policy on anything. Tim Sweeney has put them on blast without the slightest hesitation, calling out bs wherever he sees it in regards to MS. I don't think it'd be possible to convince me that all of a sudden Epic are ready to put on kid gloves and not make a stance against MS known.

It remains a possibility it was removed for other reasons, right? Phil Spencers position after it was removed the second time clearly points that he and Xbox were for crossplay. I don't think they're being ambiguous or disingenuous.

I'm still trying to make heads or tails of these tweets by Sweeney months ago,

http://wccftech.com/sweeney-platforms-embrace-crossplay-sony/

Head.spawn

I'm still trying to make heads or tails of these tweets by Sweeney months ago,

http://wccftech.com/sweeney-platforms-embrace-crossplay-sony/

Yeah, same. I couldn't tell if he was genuinely saying he wonders if there is more to it or if he was actually insinuating there is definitely more to it. He's usually not so vague/cryptic.

He was spot on with this one though:

Tim Sweeney @TimSweeneyEpic
With a bunch of engineering work, I think an engine (or individual game) could implement that functionality on its own.

Very relevant considering Rocket League is now adding an in-client based party system.

At this point, I really don't care.

Phil would do the same as Don did last generation if they were leading right now and vice versa with Andrew House.

Just continue plan with your friends on which platform you want to game on. There are far more important things Sony need to address within their own infrastructure first, (like their store being absolute garbage, no refunds, psn name change, etc).

Best wishes.

Hey Spencer. where are all these new games and investments you promised? Still waiting.

That's what my Xbox really needs.

giphy.gif

Why do these threads always turn into list wars and salty sony fans pointing out that ms was not allowing crossplay last gen?

If my network was full of holes like psn was last gen id be wary of intergration as well...cant say i still trust psn considering your ip address is visible to the public whenever you are in party chat

I think people need to look at the bigger picture rather than trying to defend a shitty buisiness decision

Why do these threads always turn into list wars and salty sony fans pointing out that ms was not allowing crossplay last gen?

If my network was full of holes like psn was last gen id be wary of intergration as well...cant say i still trust psn considering your ip address is visible to the public whenever you are in party chat

I think people need to look at the bigger picture rather than trying to defend a shitty buisiness decision

Agreed.

Top Bottom