• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Winds of Winter in 2017. Most likely 2018.

Rymuth

*hearty chuckle*

A bad book is bad always

Seriously though, I have confidence in grrm doing a great job with winds, and the wait doesn't bother me anymore tbh.

I don't see how after the boring slog that was Feast and the dumpster fire that was Dance

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
This is fucking embarrassing at this point, honestly.

Moreso, it's incredibly tragic that the man's legacy as having created one of the most iconic fantasy series of all time will be tarnished by utterly failing to complete it.

People have a big misconception as to what 'completed' means to Patrick Rothfuss. What he means is that he wrote the first draft from the beginning all the way to the ending. And then he's been revising it since then. He was revising the first book for 15 years before it was sold, and he continues to revise to an insane extent now. Iirc, he mentioned somewhere that he revised the first book 140 times.

And yet the Trebon section still sucked lol

I originally thought we would get Dream of Spring by the time I finish college

But to be honest, now I think that it will come out around the time I buy my first house

Thats kinda sad

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Dude is just living his best life, experiencing the most success and attention he's ever gotten in his whole career. But lets be real, he isn't going to finish this. Maybe the story got too big for him. I have to imagine that the show ending doesn't help at all. He says that isn't going to impact him, but how could it not? I know it would send my productivity into a nosedive. "Well, they already did the thing I was going to do sooooo..." Plus, it's easier to start than it is to finish and he has a WHOLE lot to finish. And then you throw the fact that the show has already done stuff and it ain't lookin' good.

TWOW isn't holding anyone's child hostage, it ain't that urgent.
Your or anyone elses bitterness doesn't make the idea of anyone else finishing George's series less ridiculous or insulting.
If all you wanted was an ending then you should have never read these books and then just waited for Spring to be released so you could read the last line rather than have wasted your time on all of this useless story.

I don't think it would hurt too much to have a motivated co-writer to help pull the numerous storylines and characters together into a decent 2-3 books.

I don't know how well G.R.R.M. plays with others, but he seems to need something more than an editor, and something less than some one coming and writing whatever based on his notes after he's gone.

Hopeford

just give it to Sanderson, all books will be finished this year

Sanderson has already said that while he respects the series and thinks it's very well written, it's not his cup of tea and he stopped reading them after Book 1. He also mentioned his style of shying away from graphic violence would be a bad match.

Azzanadra

GRRM really let the fame and money get to his head. For a writer that always bitches and moans about legacy and aspired to be the equivalent of Tolkein in the literary fantasy canon, he can't even finish his own series and his "legacy" will forever be tarnished because he couldn't even finish the one work of his that was any good. His other work like Wild Cards is garbage.

I think D&D are terrible, but at least they will give me some sort of conclusion to this story.

oatmeal

Banned
What if he just released the book as the screenplays from the last couple of GOT episodes?

Totally ignores the differences

Aiii

So not worth it
Most likely 2018 isn't even accurate. If it is, maybe it will be out before this late 2018/early 2019 book. Maybe not.

The quality of this book worries me, this is starting to look like a movie that spends years and dozens of script rewrites in preproduction. Watch a book finally drop in 2020 and being the worst one in the series yet. While GRRM announces he split the book into two parts with the second scheduled to come out around his 90th birthday.

Gnome

What if he just released the book as the screenplays from the last couple of GOT episodes?

Totally ignores the differences

King
Aegon
Targaryen!

Edit: Read this as GRRM finishing his series as a screenplay and turning it into season 8, but following book canon.

ryseing

To be fair, at the rate Sanderson is writing Stormlight books it will be like 20+ years until he finishes that series. Sure he writes a lot of other stuff but it will be a long time before people get any closure on that series.

Also he has some pretty problematic views on gay marriage.

The superior Mistborn series will get at least one more trilogy if not two in that timespan so I'm completely OK with that.

The spin-off show will be out before this.

I do wonder if this indicates that the spinoff is Targaryen related and he wants to get that material out there.

T-Rex.

Banned
I couldn't care less at this point tbh. We'll get an ending via the TV series and that's fine by me because at least we'll get one.

I couldn't care less at this point tbh. We'll get an ending via the TV series and that's fine by me because at least we'll get one.

I dont want a neutered ending written by the co-writer of X-Men Origins: Wolverine

I think I prefer not having it than having an unsatisfying version.

CloudWolf

2015: "it's two months away"
2017: "if i'm lucky, it'll only be two years away"

Comedy clubs should hire this guy, he's killing me

The note at the end of Feast for Crows is a classic. "You'll read about those characters when Dance With Dragons releases next year!" Fast foward five years later.

Gnome

The note at the end of Feast for Crows is a classic. "You'll read about those characters when Dance With Dragons releases next year!" Fast foward five years later.

?

Brb, checking my book.

Yep, it's there, and says in parenthesis (I devotedly hope), before the "next year". lol.

Fjordson

Good lord man.

I love this series dearly, but my hype has really faded. If it ever comes out I'll obviously read it, but until then I can't bring myself to care.

Honestly, I feel like I'll have to read the whole series again before reading Winds of Winter anyway. It'll be at least seven years since Dance With Dragons and I know I've forgotten stuff.

Gnome

I'm seriously considering not reading TWOW when it comes out, and waiting for ADOS, if it ever does. Because I really don't want to continue to read something unless I goddamn know for certain it's going to get finished.

I'm calling it now: TWOW will be the Duke Nukem Forever if literature.

It will be in development for over a decade, by which point it becomes more famous for never being released than being the long-awaited sequel to a once beloved franchise.

Finally, after a decade or more, the original creator is replaced/dies/gives up and hands the reigns over to someone else. They finish it in record time and announce a concrete release date to dumbfounded surprise of everyone. Hype builds, people get excited. Release day comes and the book is FINALLY released...!

...And it sucks. Because not only was it obviously rushed and unpolished by the new writers who just wanted it out ASAP, but in the 10+ years since the last book came out, other authors have taken the concepts and ideas GRRM made popular and either improved on them and/or took them in new, exciting directions. By now, reading TWOW becomes downright boring because all of its once promising and innovate trademarks have been done to death by others.

?

Brb, checking my book.

Yep, it's there, and says in parenthesis (I devotedly hope), before the "next year". lol.

Tower of the hand has a nice tracker for ADWD updates that is pretty funny in retrospect.

July 2006: Obviously, May passed without an update from GRRM. On June 30, GRRM wrote of ADWD on his blog, "I still hope to deliver it this fall, or by the end of the year at the latest." He did not detail his progress on the book.

December 2006: With the new year fast approaching, GRRM admitted on December 6, that ADWD would not be finished in 2006. He decided against giving further estimates on the book's completion, as missed deadlines have only added to his--and fans'--frustration.

January 19, 2007: Alongside the announcement of HBO's adaptation of A Song of Ice and Fire, Variety reported: GRRM "has nearly finished the fifth installment, but won't complete the seven-book cycle until 2011."

February 15, 2007: On his Official Website, GRRM reiterated that he will not provide ADWD progress reports: "The truth is, these updates do make me feel like a twelve-year old trying to explain to teacher why he isn't turning in his essay, and knowing she isn't going to buy the 'dog ate my homework' ruse any more than you guys do."

November 26, 2007: In an interview with Entertainment Weekly, GRRM insisted, "I'm working on it as hard as I can. Writing it tough sometimes, and it doesn't always go as fast as you want it to. [Sighs] One thing I've learned is to stop trying to predict when it's going to be done."

February 8, 2008: GRRM wrote on his Official Website, "If I can just finish DANCE this spring, there's even a chance the book itself might be on sale in Calgary." Calgary refers to the World Fantasy Convention, which takes place October 30-November 2.

February 19, 2009: In a response to his skeptics on Not a Blog, GRRM admitted that he's been too optimistic on his projected release dates. He added that he hopes to have ADWD finished by June and released as early as September.

June 23, 2009: On Not a Blog, GRRM again broke his self-embargo on ADWD updates and said he sees "a glimmering that might just be a light at the end of the tunnel." Also the first explicit reference to GRRM's "Meereenese knot."

August 1, 2009: GRRM's editor Anne Groell said she expected to have ADWD in her hands by November and suggested a February/March 2010 release date.

October 9, 2009: Via Not a Blog, GRRM said ADWD had crossed 1100 manuscript pages with "considerably more in partials, fragments, and roughs."

February 9, 2010: At 1205 pages, ADWD had surpassed A Clash of Kings to become the second longest novel behind A Storm of Swords. (via Not a Blog)

February 15, 2010: ADWD is "Not Done Yet," but now 1261 pages and counting. (via Not a Blog)

June 16, 2010: GRRM is working on ADWD's epilogue, but still has other chapters to finish/rewrite. (via Not a Blog)

March 3, 2011: ADWD isn't done yet, but it's close enough for GRRM, his publishers, and his editors to announce a release date: July 12, 2011. Both the United States and the UK will see it released on the same day. (via GRRM)
Sound familiar?

Just announce the actual release date in time so I can reread the series. Until then I'm not going to think about the GoT books.

I still don't know if I want to finish the tv series or not. I only watched up to season 4.

Right now I'm just excited for book 3 in the Stormlight Archives (Oathbringer) coming out in November. I'm happy Brandon Sanderson is a machine and that I really like his books.

Just announce the actual release date in time so I can reread the series. Until then I'm not going to think about the GoT books.

I still don't know if I want to finish the tv series or not. I only watched up to season 4.

Right now I'm just excited for book 3 in the Stormlight Archives coming out in November,

What are the odds Sanderson finishes his 10-book series before GRRM finishes one more book?

Apt101

Come July of 2018 GRRM will still be announcing shit no one cares about like more Wildcards, while staying mum on WoW. He's not finishing this series. Looking at his schedule, when would he even be able to write? 15 minutes while taking a shit on the plane ride to the next convention or book signing?

What are the odds Sanderson finishes his 10-book series before GRRM finishes one more book?

Low. Before GRRM finishes 2 books is a fair bet though.

Come July of 2018 GRRM will still be announcing shit no one cares about like more Wildcards, while staying mum on WoW. He's not finishing this series. Looking at his schedule, when would he even be able to write? 15 minutes while taking a shit on the plane ride to the next convention or book signing?
He only writes at home.

I first read A Game of Thrones in 1999.

I wish GRRM well and have no anger towards him. Nobody is obligated to write a book at a faster pace than they are able to, or at all.

But at this point I've really lost interest in his version of the story. The show is Game of Thrones now. Once it's over, the tale is complete for me and I will certainly have no desire to read a slightly alternate version of the events I already watched on screen.

kevin1025

Banned
If Sanderson devoted all his time to writing only Stormlight. I would bet on Sanderson, handily.

With his dozen current projects, I'm still betting on Sanderson.

I wonder if the hold up on Winds is the carry-over of the Knot or whatever he called it from back during the writing of book five. A lot of that carried over, maybe he wrote past it and doubled back and now it's even more of a mess.

Pluto

He should just give his Winds of Winter script to Elio and Linda, they'd finish it in three weeks I assume. As much as I don't like them they'd get it done.

I'm calling it now: TWOW will be the Duke Nukem Forever if literature.

It will be in development for over a decade, by which point it becomes more famous for never being released than being the long-awaited sequel to a once beloved franchise.

Finally, after a decade or more, the original creator is replaced/dies/gives up and hands the reigns over to someone else. They finish it in record time and announce a concrete release date to dumbfounded surprise of everyone. Hype builds, people get excited. Release day comes and the book is FINALLY released...!

...And it sucks. Because not only was it obviously rushed and unpolished by the new writers who just wanted it out ASAP, but in the 10+ years since the last book came out, other authors have taken the concepts and ideas GRRM made popular and either improved on them and/or took them in new, exciting directions. By now, reading TWOW becomes downright boring because all of its once promising and innovate trademarks have been done to death by others.

Your last paragraph should have already happened with Dance though.

darkwing

Sanderson has already said that while he respects the series and thinks it's very well written, it's not his cup of tea and he stopped reading them after Book 1. He also mentioned his style of shying away from graphic violence would be a bad match.

uh oh, who will finish his work now

He should just give his Winds of Winter script to Elio and Linda, they'd finish it in three weeks I assume. As much as I don't like them they'd get it done.

They can't write though. The parts of the World Book Elio wrote stood out like a sore thumb.

Pluto

They can't write though. The parts of the World Book Elio wrote stood out like a sore thumb.
That's still better than no book at all. Of course Martin could give it to someone who can write but that'll never happen. He has collaborated with them before and seems to like them so they're the best chance to actually get a book. This series will never be finished with Martin working on his own.

Top Bottom