• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Download Games |OT| News, Announcements, Reviews, and Impressions Thread

flkraven

Alright so with this week's sale I got:

Aaero
Abzu
Candleman
Oceanhorn
Silence

And I still didn't even really play any of the other five indie games I mentioned this week: Wheels of Aurelia, Song of the Deep, The Inner World, Dark Acana, and Her Majesty's Spiffing.

-_- too much work and too little time to play.

Play Abzu and tell me if I should buy it o.o

Hmmm will have to add Aero to my list then.

Oh and RedSparrows love the gamerpic. I'm going to play Recore one of these days but I'm only holding back because a) There's rumours of a new content / definitive edition and b) Scorpio is going to help big time with performance.

Performance was the last of its problems. I guess it depends where you put bugs but the game was simply unfinished, let's hope the Defininitive Edition fixes that

Montresor

Finished the 1000/1000 in Wheels Of Aurelia and Dark Arcana: The Carnival.

Wheels Of Aurelia was pretty bad. I give it a 2/5. The visuals and music are really, really good, but the game play and overall experience is incredibly tedious. This game is all about replaying the story over and over and making different decisions, but there's no way to keep track of the different decisions and branching paths that you've already completed.

Dark Arcana: The Carnival is another good Artifex Mundi game. I hope they keep them coming. I'll give it a 3.5/5... every other Artifex Mundi is easily a 4/5 but I felt there was a small lack of polish in this game. One of the puzzles in the Bonus Adventure was broken - it involved rotating circles but there was no way to tell which circle you were selecting (making it a guessing game if you wanted to know which circle you were about to rotate).

I'll try to squeeze in Abzu this weekend but I may not have the time.

Vert boil

Released today,

1002tsk6.png
10rtsj3.png
apps.33291.13510798887905514.581d883d-950b-474e-b9bf-4637f0a2b817.873ba407-8ba2-4ef4-ad48-1416e21f90f6

ATV Renegades - 30$, 917MB.

Flinthook - 15$, 462MB.

Late Shift - 10$ (will rise to 12.50$), 7.34GB.

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy: The Telltale Series - Episode 1 - 5$, 4.36GB.
(Trial available. No time limit, doesn't unlock achievements.)
--Season pass (eps 2-5) - 15$

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy: The Telltale Series - The Complete Season (Episodes 1-5) - 20$

Shiness: The Lightning Kingdom - 30$, 10.97GB.

The Disney Afternoon Collection - 20$, 456MB.

Voodoo Vince - 15$, 3.14GB.

Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap - 20$, 1.04GB.

-----
R.B.I. Baseball 2017 has received the online multiplayer update.

Montresor

Now that's what I call release day. I'll get Late Shift and Voodoo Vince.

I still have barely had time to play lately. Pretty discouraging. It's not even just work, but other hobbies bleeding into Xbox's time.

I'm a huge Maple Leafs fan so Saturday evening and Monday evening were pretty much all taken up watching the Leafs vs. Capitals playoff games. Was worth it because the Leafs eked out awesome overtime wins both nights.

And on Sunday I got free tickets to the Blue Jays baseball game from my company. I'm really glad I went because it was a surreal, unique experience. The Jays sucked but god damn I was right there on the front row by 1st base. We could talk to the 1st base coach.

Today's cheap Tuesday and a buddy and I are going to watch Fate of the Furious. Should be fun. But I probably won't be able to play anything until Wednesday night after work.

Montresor

^ Nice review. I appreciate that you had a section that said "minor spoilers" ahead. That 4.5/5 score lines up with my thoughts on the Batman Telltale game. This company continues to make really good narrative games/experiences. I just can't buy their games on day one anymore. No matter how good it is. I can wait until Episode 4 is out and get the game on a good sale then. I can handle a month or two wait for the final episode. But not the almost year-long wait for everything.

^ Nice review. I appreciate that you had a section that said "minor spoilers" ahead. That 4.5/5 score lines up with my thoughts on the Batman Telltale game. This company continues to make really good narrative games/experiences. I just can't buy their games on day one anymore. No matter how good it is. I can wait until Episode 4 is out and get the game on a good sale then. I can handle a month or two wait for the final episode. But not the almost year-long wait for everything.
Yep. The "season pass" goes on sale before all the episodes are even out, so if you don't mind waiting then just wait.

Played through Late Shift three times last night. Yes it's pretty shallow and has some issues with writing and acting, but it's fun to finally have a game where choices really do matter and create branching story paths. It makes me quite optimistic about the possibilities of this kind of storytelling. Had a few "Holy shit how many different ways did they film this scene?" moments by the time I was on my third go-around.

Edit: to be fair, there were also several Telltale-style "oh, the destination is the same regardless of the path I choose" moments as well.

Jeeze, is the game like 40 minutes long or something? You could beat it in the 2 hour window for refunds.

It's about an hour but designed with multiple playthroughs in mind (there are 7 different endings). Honestly, it's not really worth buying if you only plan to run through it one time. That would defeat the purpose, and the story and acting alone certainly aren't enough to recommend it.

Released today,

ACA NeoGeo: Fatal Fury 2 - 8$, 297MB.

ACA NeoGeo: Over Top - 8$, 214MB.

Halo Wars 1 Definitive Edition should be available at some point today.
(Should show up here or possibly here.)

How are these NeoGeo ports? I've heard varying impressions. I'm really interested in Over Top (here's hoping they convert DriftOut too, looks like an awesome NeoGeo rally game).

Really interested in opinions if somebody has bought Over Top!

Daigoro

How are these NeoGeo ports? I've heard varying impressions. I'm really interested in Over Top (here's hoping they convert DriftOut too, looks like an awesome NeoGeo rally game).

theyre all pretty buggy apparently. poor emulation. i blieve they all have weird slowdown and sound issues.

i only bought Neo TurfMasters and it had the same issues.

They're shit. Unfortunately.

If you want to buy these you should buy the PS4 or Switch versions because they're much better.

However I'm starting to think this could be a dashboard/OS problem because the Disney Collection has the exact same issues and again, only on Xbox:

Random stutter and sound dropping out completely. I'm not talking about the NES slowdowns which are recreated in this collection, I'm talking about additional slowdowns.

It's not as bad as in the ACA games but it's still annoying.

There have been dashboard updates that caused performance problems in games in the past.

eastx

However I'm starting to think this could be a dashboard/OS problem because the Disney Collection has the exact same issues and again, only on Xbox:

Random stutter and sound dropping out completely. I'm not talking about the NES slowdowns which are recreated in this collection, I'm talking about additional slowdowns.

I haven't had one issue with the Disney Afternoon Collection, but I've only played it a couple of hours so far.

Thanks for reading my Guardians review! :)

UGH I can't download updates anymore. If just fails every time and won't restart until I unplug my HDD. That means I can't even go online anymore unless I factory reset and download the update without the HDD attached. Fucking infuriating.

Anyone know of any fixes that don't include factory resetting?

They're shit. Unfortunately.

If you want to buy these you should buy the PS4 or Switch versions because they're much better.

It's not as bad as in the ACA games but it's still annoying.

There have been dashboard updates that caused performance problems in games in the past.
Thanks for the heads up!

Montresor

I'm a bit late for you (since the game is no longer on sale).

But I think the game is a masterpiece.

It is one of the most visually pleasing games I've ever seen. It has an incredible atmosphere, and a staggering variety of bright and colourful environments and wildlife.

Everything in this game looks amazing, whether it's the colourful fish, the splishsplash of the water under a waterfall, the clouds and sky above the surface of the water, or some of the more dark and desolate environments in the big deep blue of the ocean. The graphics and art style in the game are so well polished. Feels like they take Virginia + The Witness visuals and made an underwater exploration game out of it. Only issue is that in some cases, when there are too many fish and other underwater wildlife on screen, the frame rate takes a dive. Not a big deal at all for me though.

I'm floored by Abzu. It was a bit boring initially but I've found that it's incredibly relaxing, and so visually breathtaking that I find myself unable to stop playing this afternoon. I have to keep going, to see the next beautiful setpiece.

I'm giving it a 5/5.

U2NUMB

How does this play with a controller?

Really good.... Certainly not as quick as I can edit and work on my PC but it works great for what it is. Gonna enjoy firing this up and slowly working on my city but PC is where you should do any serious city building for sure.

But I certainly do not regret my X1 purchase... its super fun.

Top Bottom