• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbone PR: the 60 Minute Family Plan Revelation

nampad

reading this shit really rubs me the wrong way FUCK. I want to play quantum break bad but after this i dont want to give MS my money at all

Buy the console used and only buy used games (or just rent/borrow both), voila. They won't see money from you and you get to play.

I haven't seen any proof to what cboat says. He stated nothing anyone around here doesn't know or heard about already.

that mirrors edge 2 at MS E3 presentation and saying "Microsoft will pretend to have exclusives, but they won't be" even though sony did the same tactic, was some suspect shit. I really think he's a troll, or some nobody/journalist with connections trying to be some fake ass deepthroat on a gaming forum.

I really would like to feel solid like some of you feeling that we got an insider. But I want actual proof.

So delusional....

Yeah, the same company that keeps media app YouTube and a Web browser behind a pay wall is going to give 10 of your friends unlimited access to your game library. The same motherfuckers that just tried to take away the ownership of game you actually bought.

yeah.... that will definitely happen.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Haha i knew i shouldn't trust MS.That was too good to be true.
Yeah, there's just zero chance it would operate the way people thought it would - or how MS tried to present it. Complete fabrication and selective language. Dodgy as.

I'd love to see a YT video of all the batshit crazy interviews stitched together for the lulz.

k_trout

ive been following all this MS news since the reveal and even im confused now
lord help the normal everyday folks who dont follow the gaming news

wonder if they will they be informed about all this when they go into *insert main street shop here* to buy wee jimbo his xmas present?

Neo C.

I never invested too much time in studying this bullshit of a family plan. It was the right call, I guess.

And lol at everyone dreaming of the sharing future! They look so bad now, but that's how it is when someone believes in MS.

It really makes you wonder though, if they were willing to lie their way into a consumer's home by pretending the family plan was full games when it was in fact 60 minutes trial of a game your friend owned, what else are they hiding now that they so called "reversed" their DRM scheme.

Will people buy Xbone 180 only to realise it still has some form of DRM, or it'll get a DRM patch a couple weeks after launch once the preorders are shipped ?

Jex

Well this certainly makes far, far, far more sense than the notion that Microsoft would just let you share out the whole game to whatever 10 people you wanted too.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
The Xbone release might shape to be the most controversial in gaming history.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Now, you can lend your game to a friend for an indefinite period of time, a lot better than what you were getting.

I can't play it if I do that though. So its no use when something has just come out and you want your friend to buy it. Also my friends fall into two categories, the nice ones who know they are depriving me of it and so feel pressured to rush and the dicks who never return them.

Think about the 'don't got that' guy in the PS4 UI video, rather than spending $60 on Killzone when he'd rather be playing knack he could have just tried it for nothing and bought it if he'd enjoyed it.

Neither system is great people have just gotten used to the existing one. The vilification of MS for trying something different is just a bit stupid, they looked at the problems with what we have, they tried to solve them, they fucked it up. Simple as that.

Liamario

Banned
What a surprising revelation. I'm sure everyone reading this thread is stunned that our friends at MS would do this.

Getting back to reality. There isn't a single fanboy who wouldn't have justified this to themselves.
It took those who actually care about their consumer rights to shut MS down, while the fanboys reap the rewards. Very frustrating.

hawk2025

I can't play it if I do that though. So its no use when something has just come out and you want your friend to buy it. Also my friends fall into two categories, the nice ones who know they are depriving me of it and so feel pressured to rush and the dicks who never return them.

Think about the 'don't got that' guy in the PS4 UI video, rather than spending $60 on Killzone when he'd rather be playing knack he could have just tried it for nothing and bought it if he'd enjoyed it.

Neither system is great people have just gotten used to the existing one. The vilification of MS for trying something different is just a bit stupid, they looked at the problems with what we have, they tried to solve them, they fucked it up. Simple as that.

Or he could have downloaded the convenient PS+ 1-hour demo. Which exists right now.

So much for the "amazing lost feature" the shills were crying about. I kinda don't want to give MS my money even after the Xbox 180 hearing about shit like this.

J-Rzez

Heh, I wish they didn't go back on their stance the other day just to carry on and for everyone to catch onto this. Instead of just saying "eff'it", the remaining fans would've gone nuclear.

This company man. Wow. CBOAT and people saying Jeff G was onto this as well potentially tells me this was probably true. There's no way to defend these clowns, and all of MS Xbox division needs to be cleaned out and get new crew in there. People said MS would be a cancer in the gaming industry, and they were right.

Haunted

Incredible that they thought this would've been enough to balance out the anti-consumer DRM.

I mean, people were hoping for the pie-in-the-sky unlimited access for 10 people (simultaneously!) and it still wasn't enough. If they had unveiled this 60 minute demo plan as the grand, redeeming feature... holy shit. Massacre. Blood in the streets. Microsoft cancelling all this shit doesn't mean they just dodged a bullet, they dodged a couple headshots, a chainsaw and getting caught up in a stampede.

I would have loved too see how and when they would have tried to explain how this feature really worked.

Maybe the fact that they didn't know how to "take away" one of the few things some people liked about about Xbone made them scrap the whole DRM-system?

John_B

Amazing to see such skilled people shit their own pants.

I don't think Microsoft gives a damn about money lost from used game sales. They went for walls so high it would be impossible for their userbase to escape the platform. All the content you purchase is locked to your user profile, and it's complicated to pass on or resell. If the only option is to leave your stuff behind it deters you from switching to another platform.

Now this is not something only Microsoft does, and it is pretty common for digital distribution. Microsoft just went greedy and tried to grab the physical media as well. They should have kept the same policy for physical media and instead tried to lure people to digital where crazy policies would unawarely and silentetly be accepted (like everywhere else).

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I can't play it if I do that though.

Well yeah, that's the point of lending a game out

In which magical world do you live in where giving games out and not having them, yet you can still play them is possible?

Do you really think MS was going to let you keep/play your Installed game from the disc and let your buddy play the disc version?

Also my friends fall into two categories, the nice ones who know they are depriving me of it and so feel pressured to rush and the dicks who never return them.

Don't lend/give your game to the friends that are dicks? Shocking I know, you can say No!
Also HOW IN THE FUCK IS THIS A PROBLEM MS could have solved with Family Share Plan, you are not OK with lending physical items, but here dicks enjoy my account, don't fuck around with it!

So you are saying Sony won't carry over the 1 hour PS+ trials or demos from PS3?
A video fature to show off the UI and how quickly you can buy stuff and allocate what to DL and you think yeah Family Share Plan is superior, because Sony didn't show the option... yet

Neither system is great people have just gotten used to the existing one. The vilification of MS for trying something different is just a bit stupid, they looked at the problems with what we have, they tried to solve them, they fucked it up. Simple as that.[/quote[

Both systems are great, they let you have freedom to do whatever you like with your paid purchase item
MS was the one who thought they could get away with trampling with customers rights, they got a swift kick in the balls and their speak went from a heavy deep tone, to a stringy sky pitched voice

spliced

I haven't really been following this but are some people trying to say they thought they could buy 1 copy of a game then send it to 10 people who could all play through the entire game? You can't possibly believe that. There would be 11 person gaming groups popping up all over the internet where 1 person buys each game.

GraveRobberX

I didn't know that existed, sounds really cool!

Do you know Sony gives you almost $50+ worth of games monthly just for shits and giggles too

Just subscribe for a year ($50) get access too PS3 + PSN + Vitta and soon to be PS4

Oh PS+ carries over on all 3 platforms, pay $50 once for a year, enjoy enough games to melt your fucking mind for a year

There's a reason gamers on GAF have backlogs upon backlogs for Sony games

Jomjom

Banned
I would have loved too see how and when they would have tried to explain how this feature really worked.

Maybe the fact that they didn't know how to "take away" one of the few things some people liked about about Xbone made them scrap the whole DRM-system?

They were stuck between a rock and a hard place. While MS liked that the positive interpretations from fans was slightly spreading the word around and was somewhat stemming the tide of bad news, they also knew that the dream scenario people were imagining of was never going to be realistic.

I mean imagine MS going to the publishers and devs saying "Well we are going to get rid of used games (sort of) that would have taken a very long time to get into 10 different pairs of hands, but instead we are going to allow digital sharing with 10 people where all 10 of those people could very easily all access the game within a day's time. We cool guys? Oh yeah forgot to mention those 10 people could be all over the world instead of a much more limited area with used physical games."

Yeah...

GraveRobberX

Don't forget you can share a game once as well.

3 more if you know Gamesharing trick (~.^)

You can have PS+ on your PS3 and your family member or friend on their PS3 anywhere in the world
He gets to enjoy Timed Trials and all your games too!

So Sony already has a family share plan lol

Well you can install it on two machines yeah. But they need to use ur account to do it and while that slow download takes place, no PSN for you. But yeah it's a sharing "feature".

What are you talking about

Once you go on the PS+ account and start the DL on a game, you can come back on your name and do w/e the fuck you like

The hell do you mean no PSN for you?

Learn your system before you say things you don't know

Educate yourself before saying things falsely

Jomjom

Banned
Well you can install it on two machines yeah. But they need to use ur account to do it and while that slow download takes place, no PSN for you. But yeah it's a sharing "feature".

Actually that's not how it works. You just start the download and then you can sign back onto your own PSN, thus allowing your friend to sign back onto his account. Hopping onto a friend's PSN account to download is extremely quick and doesn't keep your friend off his account but for a minute or two while you look for the game you want from his download list.

I will agree with you that the sharing the account info part doesn't really work with anyone but very close friends who you trust.

Monocle

aybe now people will realize that the family plan never would have been good enough to justify the other anti-consumer nonsense.

Microsoft overreached so far with their original Xbone strategy that even after their retreat you can still see the shadow. It's kind of impressive, the sheer audacity of the attempt.

BigDug13

3 more if you know Gamesharing trick (~.^)

You can have PS+ on your PS3 and your family member or friend on their PS3 anywhere in the world
He gets to enjoy Timed Trials and all your games too!

So Sony already has a family share plan lol

What are you talking about

Once you go on the PS+ account and start the DL on a game, you can come back on your name and do w/e the fuck you like

The hell do you mean no PSN for you?

Learn your system before you say things you don't know

Educate yourself before saying things falsely

Dude fuck off. So I made a mistake. Like you've never said something incorrect.

Geniuzz

Although this shouldn't come as a surprise, I see many people still acting shocked as if MS was ever going to let you share games without any limitations. Why would they? And Why would 3rd parties go along with that after complaining for years that they want more money and more protection for their games being pirated, shared, traded? That just wouldn't make any sense.

It's indeed telling that MS was rather ambiguous about what it would really be like, telling us different stories about this feature every time an exec opened his mouth. The fact that they "remove" this option, at least for now, because of the DRM stuff is also indicative of their stance towards their consumer. It's a punishment, plain and simple.

In the end, they changed their policy only because the shitstorm was threathening their bottomline and not because they had a change of heart. The ideas still exist, the infrastructure is there, and if you can patch it out day one, you can also patch it back in when enough people have bought your system after all. People should buy one if they want, I will be looking at a PS4 for my next gen gaming. So far, I don't trust MS anymore and I'm not sure I will ever again.

GraveRobberX

Maybe now people will realize that the family plan never would have been good enough to justify the other anti-consumer nonsense.

Microsoft overreached so far with their original Xbone strategy that even after their retreat you can still see the shadow. It's kind of impressive, the sheer audacity of the attempt.

Remember lending the disc ONCE and it gets tied to your friend and they have been your friend in your list for 30 days, that magically vanished too

It was feature which was talked about with a disclaimer that it wouldn't live from day 1 but they they were thinking about it!

LOL

Can someone tell me how in the FUCK didn't this get revealed until AFTER they changed their policies? Are you shitting me?

They were under so much scrutiny and THAT managed to slip by EVERYONE?!

Monocle

Holy SHIT Microsoft.

I don't want ANYTHING to do with you anymore.

I'm not sure if I even want to complete my 360 backlog o_O
If it has Bayonetta or Metal Gear Rising in it, don't give up!

Remember lending the disc ONCE and it gets tied to your friend and they have been your friend in your list for 30 days, that magically vanished too

It was feature which was talked about with a disclaimer that it wouldn't live from day 1 but they they were thinking about it!

LOL
I wish people would pay me to come up with awful ideas. I'm confident in my ability to ruin any business strategy!

BigDug13

Well you were kind of trying to troll / spread fanboy drivel with the little "slow download" comment. It's only slow if your internet is slow.

What fanboy drivel? I've been trumpeting nothing but Sony praise for weeks now and have absolutely loathed everything MS has done. I've cancelled my Gold account and I'm considering buying GTAV on my PS3 instead of my 360 so MS doesn't get anymore money from me even though I know the port will be not as good.

My Internet is typical American fiber Internet from AT&T. It took me 16 hours then I went to bed. 8 hours later when I woke up Uncharted was done. So maybe not 24 hours but it took awhile.

Just saying most Americans are not ready for an all digital gaming world.

Steam is nice since you can DL early before street date. Maybe if they do that on consoles...

Jomjom

Banned
Holy SHIT Microsoft.

I don't want ANYTHING to do with you anymore.

I'm not sure if I even want to complete my 360 backlog o_O

MS was awesome during the 360 period, don't let current MS hurt your opinion of past MS.

What fanboy drivel? I've been trumpeting nothing but Sony praise for weeks now and have absolutely loathed everything MS has done. I've cancelled my Gold account and I'm considering buying GTAV on my PS3 instead of my 360 so MS doesn't get anymore money from me even though I know the port will be not as good.

Well then why make the slow download comment about PSN? That hurts its feelings. I just downloaded about 100 gigs from PSN today downloading all the PS+ games that I made sure to "buy", but didn't download. It definitely wasn't "slow."

GraveRobberX

That's the thing, I don't want to wait lol

I want to support remedy. I absolutely love the people in that company and the things they do for their fans (humble bundle)

Send them a check or if you really love a dev, buy their shirt/mug from their store if they offer it, that is direct money going into the devs pocket, no publisher bullshit there

Well you were kind of trying to troll / spread fanboy drivel with the little "slow download" comment. It's only slow if your internet is slow.
My internet is awesome on 360, Steam and Netflix but sucks ass on PSN.

I use all my devices via wifi, so maybe the PS3's wifi just sucks ass.

Either that, or how good PSN is depends on your location.

And there is the catch to the great feature people were defending. What is the point of demo sharing?

This is hilarious. I'm sad they've changed all their policies, because I really want to see what other horrors they had in store for us. That kinect watching you watch films to make you pay for each person in the room doesn't seem so crazy anymore lol.

I am now expecting new xbox 1's to come with the 360 dashboard installed since Microsoft won't have time to scrap the currrent xbox 1 nightmare OS and create a new one so close to launch.

I mean imagine MS going to the publishers and devs saying "Well we are going to get rid of used games (sort of) that would have taken a very long time to get into 10 different pairs of hands, but instead we are going to allow digital sharing with 10 people where all 10 of those people could very easily all access the game within a day's time. We cool guys? Oh yeah forgot to mention those 10 people could be all over the world instead of a much more limited area with used physical games."

Yeah...

This is what always seemed unlikely to me - Microsoft running a permanent Buy One Get Ten Free deal on every single Xbone game ever and the publishers taking the hit without complaint.

BigDug13

So you spout off misinformation, I and another poster correct you and this your response, so mature

You didn't correct me. You berated me for daring to say something incorrect from your high horse as if you've lived a mistake-free life. Correcting me is fine, acting like an asshole about it gets my immature response.

Liamario

Banned
I haven't really been following this but are some people trying to say they thought they could buy 1 copy of a game then send it to 10 people who could all play through the entire game? You can't possibly believe that. There would be 11 person gaming groups popping up all over the internet where 1 person buys each game.
That's exactly what the fanboys thought. What's sad is, is that they would have still bought the console after MS revealed the truth to them.

GraveRobberX

My internet is awesome on 360, Steam and Netflix but sucks ass on PSN.

I use all my devices via wifi, so maybe the PS3's wifi just sucks ass.

PSN throttles THE EVER LIVING SHIT OUT of Internet Speeds

It can only download as fast the network allows it to be

I mean I have a 150Mb connection, I see nowhere near that, the highest I ever hit was 4+MB's on FFX|V Beta DL, but it was through their client

Fastest on PSN was 2MB for 17GB file of Hitman Absolution from the EU Store due to PS+ freebee
I got the game done DL'ing in 1.5 hours, 2 hours Installing... LOL

Top Bottom