• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: New PS4 details from PSM3 Magazine.

grebby

Personally, I'd be disappointed if it wasn't called Playstation 4. I don't know why, I just like the sound of "Pee Ess For". I'd feel kinda silly saying Orbis. Again, just personal preference.

Same. I don't really care for these names like Orbis and Vita. Just nice and simple Sony. I think it's easier for brand recognition too to just call it Playstation 4.

amar212

A 6 year old kid could compile a same list with googleing "PS4".

It would have the same level of truth inside.

100% speculation for every single point of that list, from the "first" to "14th" point.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
8190986974_15daee4c4a_o.jpg

I had a Tungsten T|3 back in the day; and the T|5 release is the reason I knew they'd never call the next Playstation the PS4.

LOL at the removal of "4" for PS4. I already knew that Japanese were dreadful of this number. A friend of mine who's been to Japan said that at a certain hotel there was no floor No4! But, at the West there is no such thing so I don't think SCEA or SCEE will be very happy about it... 4 seems like the natural evolution; Playstation Orbis sounds very generic.

Gran Turismo 4, MGS4, Final Fantasy IV, Dragon Quest IV, Devil May Cry 4 and so on...
never existed in japan :eek:

400 to 500 EUR? No backward compatible, in-game advertised, no "used" games (or rental or borrowing from a friend/relative, perhaps)...?

Well, the games had better be fucking awesome to compensate.

No BC? I have the first PS3 that's gigantic, I'm really hoping that's not true and I can finally get rid of it. That + the cable box take up way too much space.

omonimo

Banned
No backward it's such a bullsh!t. At least for the first year, it needs desperately of backward, the library will never be so compelling.

I'm not sure if they could be awesome enough for me to get one if those negatives are true.

Yeah it'd have to be like FFVI or FFVII remake on launch day or something. First thing parents will do is ask, "Can they play their old nintendos on this new one?" haha, damn...

Man, I really hope this is just rumor speculation. No BC and having to register every game would make me not purchase it at all. Usually at the start of the generation I'll re-up my Gamefly subscription.

I hope this isn't what MS is thinking of doing.

NinjaBoiX

No backward it's such a bullsh!t. At least for the first year, it needs desperately of backward, the library will never be so compelling.
You've got to realise how bespoke the Cell's architecture is. Software based emulation would be incredibly difficult, and the other option of cramming ps3 guts in the box is probably not a popular one at Sony.

nickcv

every single rumor we had points toward a change in architecture, and with that it will be almost certain that we won't have bc

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward

The catalog out of the box, excluding PS4 games, will probably be PSone + PS2 + Cloud games (PS3?) + minis + maybe PSM. So there'll be a good bit of legacy content.

Of course, full BC across the board would be the ideal, but it's not going to happen. Either way there'll be some supplementary content options beyond the initial PS4 games.

To be fair my views on B/C have changed recently.
I don't think it makes or breaks a platform at all. After all the PS3 library won't sell a PS4 to PS3 users OR non-PS3 users. Either way its not PS4 games.

Whilst they can offer PS3 games over download.
The only issue is not wanting multiple systems under one unit. Which I don't think doesn't play a part in a buyers decision BUT again; you won't get a PS4 unless you want the games, at which point buying a 720 and WiiU have the same issue; two systems instead of one.

Certainly B/C should never be used where it might raise the price of the system too far.
I think its nice - but ultimately for the 720/PS4's of this world its a price that is in no way worth paying.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Dunno why everyone is gonna be suprised at no BC they took it out of ps3 to do crappy hd ports that people are buying into or make u buy game again

Bumhead

Banned
Dunno why everyone is gonna be suprised at no BC

Same.

The workarounds to get backwards compatibility to work seem to be becoming more and more obscure. Of the last few consoles and handhelds to be released, I'd say only the 3DS has anything like a "natural" attitude towards BC, and even then DS enthusiasts say the quality of playing DS games on 3DS is nowhere near as good as on a native DS.

It strikes me as a problem the console manufacturers don't want anymore. I wouldn't be even remotely surprised should the Orbis and Durango launch with no support for the PS3 and 360, beyond PSN and Live Arcade stuff.

The catalog out of the box, excluding PS4 games, will probably be PSone + PS2 + Cloud games (PS3?) + minis + maybe PSM. So there'll be a good bit of legacy content.

Of course, full BC across the board would be the ideal, but it's not going to happen. Either way there'll be some supplementary content options beyond the initial PS4 games.
Full BC might become a reality through Gaikai. I don't see it happening as part of the hardware

Unless they figure out some mix between hardware and software emulation like MS did for 360

no BC at all would be quite depressing.

as we all know PS3s don't last forever, so in the future if i ever want to play games like Demon's Souls or Wipeout HD i have to keep buying PS3s after one breaks? while also probably having to buy new PS4s because they probably won't last many years either...

someone suggested that Sony could have BC in the cloud, like having access to play PS2 games as part of a Playstation Plus subscription. i think that could be a decent compromise (as long as it's cheap). maybe PS3 games could also be added? or is that unrealistic?

jaosobno

If rumors that Sony is focused on affordable console (after losing $350 per PS3) are true (and considering the state of their company they most likely are), it's not strange that they are cutting all features that increase costs.

No BC most likely means no BC through standard means (software/hardware emulation). This will most likely be done via Gaikai.

In-game advertising could be a way for Sony to establish Playstation as go-to console for F2P games that will no doubt gain momentum in the coming years.

Regarding price, $500 is a suicide. $299-399 is a sweet spot.

NinjaBoiX

No bc and no second hand games? Yea calling bs here.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure no BC is real, it just makes sense if you look at the facts.

But no second hand games? Congrats Sony, you just lost a customer. They can fuck off if they think I'm paying whatever they ask, no questions asked. Right off!

ironcreed

Banned
I'm not buying every PS4 coming with Move. That would be a catastrophic failure for Sony.

Not buying into that one either. If they went that route, they should just go ahead and use 'Shi' in the name. Only add a t on the end, because that is what it would amount to.

IHaveIce

Banned
The original article says right at the start that all of this are just specalutations and guesses, nothing is a secret information they got.

If this stuff is true the Wii U may be my only next gen system. I'll use the money I would have spent on the PS4 to continue to upgrade my PC.

Used games are not readily run on the PS4.
7th The PS4 will not be backwards compatible with PS3 games.
8th Games need to be registered to PlayStation Network account.
9th The paid premium service PlayStation Plus will be an important pillar of the PS4.
Bye bye Sony!

I didn't realize the no BC thing was a given, but looking at the reasoning I can see why. Sad, I was going to play TLoU and TLG on my PS4 ...

Top Bottom