• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's The Avengers |OT| (Dir. Joss Whedon) [Spoilers unmarked]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Totally don't agree with the bolded despite agreeing with many of your other points.

The birthday scene is sort of the climax of that subplot. There's even a little scene with ScarJo just to hit you over the head with it ("What would you do if you knew this was your last birthday?"). The fight with War Machine was my favorite action scene in the movie because (on top of the cool holy-shit-we're-wrecking-a-billion-dollar-house destruction) both characters have clear motivations and are on roughly equal footing for believable reasons (Rhodey's just finding his legs in the suit, Stark's plastered). I like that whole sequence a lot except for the shooting the glass wall and having the crowd react all WOOOOOOO. I would've been fucking terrified at that moment.

I haven't seen it in a while, so what you guys are saying makes sense. I'll be rewatching it soon enough, so I might be inclined to agree with you guys here. I think I just felt the whole scene with War Machine and Drunk Tony fighting after the party was odd. Robot Rock was cool, I guess.

Now I want to see Ocean's Twelve.

fdRZ1.gif

I haven't seen it in a while, so what you guys are saying makes sense. I'll be rewatching it soon enough, so I might be inclined to agree with you guys here. I think I just felt the whole scene with War Machine and Drunk Tony fighting after the party was odd. Robot Rock was cool, I guess.

My favourite fight scene in the film. Liked it a lot more than fighting against drones.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
My favourite fight scene in the film. Liked it a lot more than fighting against drones.

I liked the drone sequence too (love seeing my favorite characters "in their element"- another case in point, Nightcrawler intro to X2), but I agree with you here, my favorite as well. I think you and I are of like-minds, Doctor.

Hulk Smash.
The battle scene we've concocted here with one sentence + two words is going to keep me entertained for the rest of the work day :lol

I wish Stan Winston had been around to design the Thor and Cap costumes too. :( (Not that that was necessarily the kind of thing he dealt with, but his Iron Man design was soooooo good.)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
How many scenes does RDJ steal? Charisma through the roof.
How many scenes is he in? ;)

edit: Scar, what's your issue with the Thor costume? Looks exactly like I'd have imagined it.

I can't get past the Cap helmet :( But other than that, I think they all look pretty great.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
I'd like if if Thor wore his helmet more. He only wears it once in Asgard and that's it. I hope he wears his helmet in Avengers, but I'm guessing this doesn't happen.

How many scenes is he in? ;)

edit: Scar, what's your issue with the Thor costume? Looks exactly like I'd have imagined it.

I can't get past the Cap helmet :( But other than that, I think they all look pretty great.

I don't have any issue with the Thor costume, doesn't mean I wouldn't want it to look better if it were possible :p

Cartman86

Banned
I just wish they end up finding a way to retcon the asgardians into real gods.

What would make them "real" gods though. I'm not familier with the comics. The movie version Asgardians have strength greater than humans, so they seem to be pretty god-like in that sense. Do you not like that anything that is magic in the marvel film universe is simply something we don't understand yet? AKA there are rules to "magic".

Tobor

If an alien race with advanced technology appeared on Earth, primitive man would treat them as "real" Gods, and technically, they would be.

JdFoX187

Banned
You know, the more I watch these clips I have noticed there's no Hawkeye dialogue anywhere. Has he spoken in any clip or TV spot/trailer released thus far?

mjc

I always wondered why they only have Thor wearing his helmet in just that one scene in Thor. I get that it might be a ceremonial deal, but it'd be cool if he wore it on earth. I guess they just wanted to strike a balance with his looks between the 616 Thor and the Ultimate Thor.

Tobor

I always wondered why they only have Thor wearing his helmet in just that one scene in Thor. I get that it might be a ceremonial deal, but it'd be cool if he wore it on earth. I guess they just wanted to strike a balance with his looks between the 616 Thor and the Ultimate Thor.

I'd bet they tested it and didn't like it in action. Say what you want about Cap's helmet, it's functional.

The narrative itself is absolute garbage ...

... just an excuse to get these fanboy service (self-service in Whedon's case) scenes on screen ...

You don't feel invested in the film in terms of caring about any of the stakes at hand, just as Whedon doesn't really seem invested in the story enough to come up with anything than the most convenient and ridiculous get out of jail free cards to bail out of each narrative conflict.

It sometimes loses it's focus and in typical Whedon style, gravitates toward less interesting side characters that are paper thin.

... doesn't come anywhere near the top-tier superhero films.
Sounds in line with my expectations, thanks for the write-up!

The real question is: Will Good Job Bob like it?

Why do I feel that even if he does, he would never let us know? Gotta keep that front up.
Don't worry bros, if I like it I'll say so --- but I can't imagine any situation in which I like it enough to look past all of the glaring problems Sculli and other reviewers pointed out.

We'll have to wait and see whether or not The Avengers will be the film to truly push Good Job Bob over the edge, into tragic oblivion.

JdFoX187

Banned
I'd bet they tested it and didn't like it in action. Say what you want about Cap's helmet, it's functional.

I can't imagine that helmet staying on, let alone not looking absolutely ridiculous in the middle of combat. He looks just fine without it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom