• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo giving Devs free Wii U kits?

Darryl

Banned
☑ Learn to code
☑ Get the help of a graphical designer
☑ Come up with a game
☑ Make the game (in progress)
☑ Get a secure space for the devkit
☑ Get a devkit (hopefully get it for free!)
☐ Have previous professional game dev experience

:(

join the club. i've been working for a year on a game targeting wii u and it'll probably never get on it because of that bottom bit.

How does Wii U compare to past Nintendo systems sales? I mean is this one the worst seller so far?

it's doing very average, people just get sensational around here over excitement for the PS4. i really think it's going to blow up this holiday.

Schnozberry

It's probably one of those "no games will change anything because they have missed the market and it's so fundamentally flawed no one could want it" posts. Or he actually doesn't understand software is good at selling hardware.

We'll see in another year.

spannicus

Wii U needs mo gaemz so they better be giving away free devkits bought my deluxe day 1 and its been wasting away in a plastic bag. Im contemplating trading it towards a PS4. Nintendo hasnt been too busy trying to assure consumers that the product is worth owning. i was in doubt before but come next gen the Wii u will be shit surrounded by flies.

onipex

If I had a Wii U dev kit the first thing I would do is make an application that lets me control my fucking receiver. The current remote and TVii shit is pointless for me unless I can control my receiver to switch between inputs.

The remote on the gamepad does that fine for me on multiple TVs.

I would make a rts or tbs for the system if I had a dev kit. I hope we get another Battalion Wars or something like it because the gamepad could really make it a lot better.

Kimawolf

Giving free dev kits doesn't change the fact that there is no consumer demand for the system itself.

You need games to build demand, as Sony and MS both know. If you don't have the games, people won't buy it. Simple as that. And sometimes even with games people won't. Nintendo will have the games eventually, but this move ensures they are trying at least to get more games and fill in the holes of their schedules.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe Team Meat will developer for it now, since they routinely demand publishers give them everything on a silver platter.
Despite that being true, I think the censorship ninjas would get them. Unless Mewgenics is rated E.

Wiz

join the club. i've been working for a year on a game targeting wii u and it'll probably never get on it because of that bottom bit.

You could probably put your games on Wii U thru the Nintendo Web Framework thing.

stuminus3

Holy shit, quick - someone get one of these to Jeff Minter! Poor guy really is that broke, iOS development is only making him enough for a cup of tea and a curry.

Send a tweet/email to Emily Rogers. She's been known to help out some indie devs

Giving free dev kits doesn't change the fact that there is no consumer demand for the system itself.

Guess Nintendo should just pack up their bags, toss the remaining systems in a landfill and quit the gaming business, right? Games drive interest in a system. Devs create games. Free dev kits make this process easier. I don't know why people are finding this idea so hard to understand

Schnozberry

Why will it take a year to see what outunderthestars thinks about the Wii U? Just ask him now.

Fair point ;)

I just meant we'll see in a year whether more software can bring the sales up to respectable numbers. If Retro is working on an Space Marine chest high wall FPS, hold on to your underwear.

Darryl

Banned
You could probably put your games on Wii U thru the Nintendo Web Framework thing.

Yea, I applied and I'm hoping for the best but it still had a semi-requirement on it for past completed projects. I'm hoping they don't just ignore those who had nothing to put in. If they really open this console up, I'd be so thrilled. The GamePad has so many easily accessible, incredibly cool concepts to work on.

Send a tweet/email to Emily Rogers. She's been known to help out some indie devs

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll definitely try out once I have a demo ready.

mclem

wouldn't it only make sense for this to be for indie developers? Wouldn't a dev kit be like 0.0005% of the budget of a normal 3rd party title?

The dev kit is usually not just hardware, but also access to the libraries, support and licensing. If that's what's been given out here, that's not insignificant.

Oddduck

Yea, I applied and I'm hoping for the best but it still had a semi-requirement on it for past completed projects. I'm hoping they don't just ignore those who had nothing to put in. If they really open this console up, I'd be so thrilled. The GamePad has so many easily accessible, incredibly cool concepts to work on.

There's always another scenario. You can talk to Wii U licensed developers and see if any of them are interested in porting your game/app.

EhoaVash

console manufactures usually make money off selling development kits, nintendo is in a sate of loss, sure its getting more games on wii u but they're kinda losing money they could be gaining but hey ..no one wants to really develop for wii u

I remember the time when a PS2 dev kit cost 10k...
IIRC the Wii's cost $2500 at launch and that was seen as a big deal for its affordability. Still funny to think about either the PS2's devkit being worth 10k or the Wii's being worth 2.5k.

Guessing the Wii U's is closer to the Wii's, if they can hand 'em out for free without taking too much of a hit.

EVH

Yep. They are fucked.

At least Vita has full indie support. Here in WiiU they ask Nintendo to put their character in Smash Bros.

Darryl

Banned
console manufactures usually make money off selling development kits, nintendo is in a sate of loss, sure its getting more games on wii u but they're kinda losing money they could be gaining but hey ..no one wants to really develop for wii u

Getting lots of indie developers on their platform is Nintendo's greatest chance for survival in this highly competitive market. Just imagine what the Wii would've been like if Unity was easily accessible on it with Motion technology. Indie developers would've done some fantastic things that Nintendo had no time themselves for, giving individuals the option to break new ground and make a name for themselves outside of churning out 2D platformers and retro Zelda clones. I really think that this long-term investment is the best strategy possible for Nintendo. Yea, they'll lose money in the short-term but they could secure a position for themselves in the future.

There's always another scenario. You can talk to Wii U licensed developers and see if any of them are interested in porting your game/app.

That's definitely a good idea as well. Thanks.

Metallix87

Wow. not good. They're getting closer to being a software only company.

castle_confused_medium.gif

NO CONSUMER WANTS THE WII U! Does nintendo not realise this??

Well, there it is, guys! Nintendo should just pack it up! The game is over! Time to close up shop, clearly. </sarcasm>

And the Wii U...didn't/doesn't?
The Wii U is still treading in some areas, primarily due to burned bridges from the WiiWare/DSiWare days. Team Meat still couldn't put The Binding of Isaac on the 3DS eShop, either, due to its content. Provided Nintendo can rebuild relations and bring those hurt before back on board, the Wii U and 3DS eShops should easily be able to stand with Vita's particularly strong support of indies. Everything else Nintendo has been doing has shown they are certainly making a great effort in this area, so it shouldn't be too long before the Wii U can claim equal, if not greater status (free Unity is a big dealbreaker in Nintendo's favor, I'd wager) than other indie scenes.

Not having experience shouldn't be preventing you from releasing a game...

You might not be able to get it published on the eShop or PSN or XBLA (at least initially), but there are other ways of getting a first attempt out there. You gotta start somewhere.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
They probably have a healthy stock after many developer returned them back to Nintendo...
That's the stupidest thing I've read on gaf today.

Top Bottom