• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGS HD Collection Vita screens

Bumhead

Banned
I think people criticising the visuals here need to take a step back and consider what it will actually look like on the Vita. In the same way that people who see Uncharted screenshots in the captures thread really have no idea how good that game looks on the Vita itself by contrast.

Looks good enough to me. Can't wait to replay these.

pa22word

You could skip cutscenes you know. .

Then what's the point? Seriously now. If you're compromising half the game to compensate for playing it on the go then what is the point in playing it on the go?

Why would I want a portable Metal Gear Solid?

Play Peace Walker. Small, bite sized missions and limited mostly optional story make for a good HH title.

I just do. I don't question what you want or do

T_T

Seriously bro?

orioto

Good Art™
I think people criticising the visuals here need to take a step back and consider what it will actually look like on the Vita. In the same way that people who see Uncharted screenshots in the captures thread really have no idea how good that game looks on the Vita itself by contrast.

I'm sick with this talk.
Vita screen is awesome but you can clearly see what's ugly on it. The screen is huge and you'll see every defect on a game, for sure.

ss_lemonade

I was expecting this to look just as clean as the 360/ps3 versions at native res. Was I expecting too much from the vita?

I only tried the demo of Uncharted and the how it looked on the screenshot thread, was how it looked on my vita (blurry and jaggy). Heck even my brother who doesn't really care about these things regarding IQ asked me why it looked really dirty.

It looks beautiful off-screen.

MK3vV.jpg

GCPQq.jpg

vw8Qg.jpg

qrqI8.jpg

Then what's the point? Seriously now. If you're compromising half the game to compensate for playing it on the go then what is the point in playing it on the go?

To play the actual game and not watch cutscenes if you wanted to. These games are not MGS4.

pa22word

I was expecting this to look just as clean as the 360/ps3 versions at native res. Was I expecting too much from the vita?

You're expecting something to look as clear as 1280x720 on a system that can't even display 1280x720. For that reason alone I'd say yes, yes you were expecting a little too much.

That being said, it definitely could look better.

To play the actual game and not watch cutscenes if you wanted to. These games are not MGS4.

MGS3's intro alone consists of about 30 mins of cutscenes, followed by 4ish screens and about 25 mins of even more cutscenes.

Ridley327

I don't think you were expecting too much, but it does seem like there's some development issues across the board when it comes to hitting native res and maintaining all the bells and whistles. One can hope that this is just growing pains in the first year and not a long-term issue.

I'm sick with this talk.
Vita screen is awesome but you can clearly see what's ugly on it. The screen is huge and you'll see every defect on a game, for sure.

Indeed, this IQ issues are a real shame, because the vita screen is gorgeous, but big enough to see every single graphical defect.

Uncharted for example is a damn mess in the IQ department, yeah, the machine is pushing some great graphics and effects, but the IQ is so damn bad that ruins almost everything, for me at least, blurrynes and jaggie-fest all around.

I'm sick with this talk.

I think he's talking about how, at least in my case, the screens look almost 4 times bigger on my computer than on my Vita.

This doesn't seem to be as bad as Uncharted at all.

You're expecting something to look as clear as 1280x720 on a system that can't even display 1280x720. For that reason alone I'd say yes, yes you were expecting a little too much.

MGS3's intro alone consists of about 30 mins of cutscenes, followed by 4ish screens and about 25 mins of even more cutscenes.

I just skip, I already know what happened. If I want to watch I will just watch it.
Don't forget there are VR missions. You want bite sized just play those.

Portugeezer

This, it looks like psp upresed for me, and i don't get that...
If the Vita is soooo easy to develop for, and we get some Wipe Out with perfect AA and awesome geometry, why this...

Yeah I don't understand. PS2 graphics up res'd, come one it should be native 544p.

Skilletor

Playing the game > watching the game.

I've played them before. I don't give a damn about the cutscenes. Playing it anywhere will be awesome.

Ridley327

Anyone care to explain how the transfarring will work between the Vita / PS3 versions?

The Vita versions will have an option of taking your PS3 save and being able to play from there. They haven't mentioned any real specifics beyond that, but I would have to think that we won't be running into the trophy issues that Peace Walker had if you transferred a save file started on the PSP.

KageMaru

Other than the jaggies, which wouldn't be this apparent on the smaller screen, it looks great. I may double dip on this when I get a Vita.

That said, a solid 30 fps would still be a huge improvement on the 3DS version which runs between 15-20 fps most of the time.

Wait wat? 0_o

Does it run any better in 2D mode? Kind of depressing the 3DS couldn't keep a decent frame rate on a PS2 game.

Portugeezer

Other than the jaggies, which wouldn't be this apparent on the smaller screen, it looks great. I may double dip on this when I get a Vita.

Wait wat? 0_o

Does it run any better in 2D mode? Kind of depressing the 3DS couldn't keep a decent frame rate on a PS2 game.

The PS2 version had framerate problems itself, i.e. Kojima don'tgiveafuck.

ss_lemonade

Shouldn't it look as good as long as the game runs at native res (plus AA if possible)?

orioto

Good Art™
After looking back at the screens i think there is something wrong about them, cause you have many different iq... You have AA blurred screens, no AA nativ rez blurry ones, no AA sub-rez really blurry ones, and even sharp subrez ones... something weird.

I guess this is something of a mess like the 3ds version, with different setting for cut scenes and gameplay..

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It looks similar to the PS2 version but has more jaggies and lower resolution textures it seems. We have to see it in motion though to see how it performs frame-rate wise.
Ha ha, oh no, the PS2 version definitely has more jaggies and runs at an overall lower resolution. Textures here are exactly the same as the PS2 and HD versions (no texture changes were made in any version).

Well, 960x544 on a screen with a high DPI looks much cleaner than 1280x720 on a 1080p display so it definitely could have appeared much sharper.

Wait wat? 0_o

No, it runs the same in both modes and is extremely choppy. I picked it up this week as part of the TRU sale as I was curious about the final game and, yeah, it's really bad. It also lacks motion blur, depth of field, and other similar effects so it looks choppy and super pixelated.

beril

so it doesn't run in native resolution; not much of a HD port then... does it even have higher resolution than the original?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Anyone with a Vita can check out this thread on their Vita to get a better idea of how it'll look.

It looks a lot better there compared to my PC screen, that's for sure. The colours most notably (it looks very washed out on my monitor - not so on Vita), but the image quality too. The aliasing around the hair in picture 8 looks BAAAD on my PC, for example, but is pretty much imperceptible on my Vita.

Sold. Have wanted to replay MGS2 for a while now and never played MGS3. Perfect fit for the Vita. Wasn't too impressed by the screen shots but once you watch the video of it all in action, looks way better. Can't wait.

Not too worried about the screens.Why?, well they're Vita captures which look terrible on the computer and will look no where as bad when playing on the Vita.

KageMaru

No, it runs the same in both modes and is extremely choppy. I picked it up this week as part of the TRU sale as I was curious about the final game and, yeah, it's really bad. It also lacks motion blur, depth of field, and other similar effects so it looks choppy and super pixelated.

That's disappointing, thanks

Solid07

Banned

The game looks amazing on Vita no doubt, but the question is why would you want to play cinematic games on a smaller screen when you can play on a big screen instead?

The real question is, when will we see a TRUE Vita Exclusive MGS game?

Looks good. As long as the framerate holds up, I'm in.

Exactly

I'm actually okay if MGS3 is 30fps. Still looks wonderful (DAT timeless art) and trophy huntin' on the go/on the potty, only sweetin's the deal

Also, if they're doing transfaring wirelessly, then holy shit that would be amazing.

Still sad they haven't gotten it up for Peace Walker =(

Meier

Graphically a bit underwhelming in some of those shots to be honest but I'll probably pick it up. Hopefully it's discounted from regular price like the PS3 version was.

Oemenia

Banned
Meh. Some great games like MGS 2 and 3 should stay on the systems where you can hook up to big screens. When you port cinematic games to handhelds, something doesn't seem right.

Not to mention PS3/360 versions are far superior. But that's just me.
The screen is big and good enough so that you can still get a cinematic experience (provided you use headphones and stay in the same place for a while).

Graphically a bit underwhelming in some of those shots to be honest but I'll probably pick it up. Hopefully it's discounted from regular price like the PS3 version was.

Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus also looked underwhelming in press shots

Natively on the Vita though, that IQ is so damn clean

Top Bottom